PDA

View Full Version : Fogvision [D&D 3.5]

The White Knight
2009-10-30, 10:01 AM
Are there any spells, features or traits other than blindsight that allow a character to see through the family of fog spells?

Starbuck_II
2009-10-30, 10:20 AM
Are there any spells, features or traits other than blindsight that allow a character to see through the family of fog spells?

Yes. But it was an article on WotC. A Magic item.

Eldan
2009-10-30, 10:46 AM
I did a homebrew version, though it was linked to either psionics or the ethereal plane domain for clerics...
I'll see if I can find it.

Chrono22
2009-10-30, 10:50 AM
Ring of X-ray vision.
Blindsight.
Does snow count? Spells that replicate it are also conjuration-creation. Frostburn's Snowsight lets you see through up to 30 feet of falling snow.

JeenLeen
2009-10-30, 10:53 AM
My DM said True Seeing lets you see through any sort of fog. "Freezing Fog" was the one that came up in game. I didn't know where he got his source, though, so I wouldn't believe that unless someone else here confirms it.

(I get that it would let you see through illusionary fogs.)

The White Knight
2009-10-30, 11:32 AM
My DM said True Seeing lets you see through any sort of fog. "Freezing Fog" was the one that came up in game. I didn't know where he got his source, though, so I wouldn't believe that unless someone else here confirms it.

That's a total houserule, as evidenced by the spell description itself:

True seeing, however, does not penetrate solid objects. It in no way confers X-ray vision or its equivalent. It does not negate concealment, including that caused by fog and the like.

Illusory fogs would be pierced though, as you note.

The Ring of X-Ray vision is almost perfect, except for the short range. I'm looking for something my Conjurer can use to see the victims of his Solid Fog/Frozen Fog/Cloudkill/etc. spells so he can continue to accurately victimize them.

Woodsman
2009-10-30, 11:33 AM
Gust of Wind.

Problem solved.

The White Knight
2009-10-30, 11:34 AM
...without dispersing the fog he just spent spell slots to create :smallbiggrin:

Woodsman
2009-10-30, 11:37 AM
...without dispersing the fog he just spent spell slots to create :smallbiggrin:

Ah, I missed that bit.

My mistake.

Dacia Brabant
2009-10-30, 11:49 AM
Touchsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/touchsight.htm) will do the trick, although it requires line of effect so if there's a fog spell that blocks that (Solid Fog comes close, but it doesn't block ray spells) it wouldn't work but otherwise you're in the clear.

There's also the Mindsight feat from Lords of Madness if you have telepathy.

peacenlove
2009-10-30, 12:57 PM
Detect magic and its great brothers (Arcane Sight and Greater Arcane Sight) bypass fog.
Also the dread wraith's Lifesense ability can detect living creatures regardless of concealment.
The feat lifesense from libris mortis can also help pinpoint creatures in the fog, however you must not have a constitution score and it only detects living creatures.

Claudius Maximus
2009-10-30, 01:05 PM
The Cloud Cloak (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20050311a) does just what you want.

The White Knight
2009-10-30, 01:07 PM
The Cloud Cloak (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20050311a) does just what you want.

Fantastic! Thank you.