PDA

View Full Version : Class/Build Suggestions (2ed)

Noodles2375
2009-10-30, 10:25 AM
I poked around the first several pages of the RP forum and couldn't find anything directly related.

I've played a bunch of 3.x and way back in the day (8+ years) played a bit of 2ed. Recently I hooked up with some gamers who want to do a 2nd edition campaign because the DM has all of the reference materials for it. I remember almost nothing about 2ed and I wanted some advice on classes/races to play.

I'm guessing that casters are still really powerful, and I know we are using a roll 3d6 3 times for each stat, which gave me this:

10 11 5 9 17 10

which can be arranged however I'd like.

My first thought was "17 in int, human wizard" and I was looking for other thoughts and recommendations.

infinitypanda
2009-10-30, 10:36 AM
Well we can narrow it down a bit, since it looks like the archetypes are the only classes you qualify for. So yeah, mage sounds fun.

Matthew
2009-10-30, 10:42 AM
Well... without knowing what level you are starting at or what optional rules are in place, I would say that as a first level human magician you might find things a bit of an uphill struggle. Spell casters are nowhere near as strong in AD&D/2e as they are in D20/3e, and fighters are considerably stronger.

A lot depends on the style of campaign, and whether you are creating a character to maximise your chances of survivability in the short term or taking a risk for a bigger pay off later.

To be honest, those attributes are lower than the recommended average for AD&D, but you could still get a reasonable character out of it. It all depends what you want to play and where you assign that "5".

Noodles2375
2009-10-30, 11:48 AM
Looks like it is going to first level, yeah the 5 was kind of worrying me also.

I think I might ask the DM about a possible re-roll. Obviously having a high primary class stat is sweet but I'm not sure if it makes up for the others. Should I ask for a re-roll?

Most of the other players don't have much RP experience, and I'm not sure how long the campaign will stay around for. So maybe I just try for something that has better short term survivability like a fighter or something?

lesser_minion
2009-10-30, 11:56 AM
You might be able to go with a cleric - three castings of Cure Light Wounds could come in handy, and you should be able to meet the PRs.

2e clerics have a little survivability, and they also bring healing to the table. They are also quite quick to level up, IIRC.

BloodyAngel
2009-10-30, 12:14 PM
Non-sense! That statline works PERFECTLY for 2nd ed. Most of the games I've played in 2nd ed the stats range from 7-14. Then again, I used to play with the old 3d6 only method. :smallbiggrin:

Whomever said wizards aren't the god-on-a-stick of 3.5 was right though. In end game, they're pretty awesome, though still quite vulnerable. A 2nd ed wizard rarely sits around wondering why he keeps those other shmucks around. Unless the GM is using one of the optional books ANY damage you take in the round you're casting a spell will ruin your spell. Add that to your low hp and lack of armor and you're a massive glass cannon. Playing a low leveled wizard in 2nd ed is fun, but not for the faint of heart.

If you like wizard however, go for it. Dump the two low stats in Str and Wis and play the scatter-brained type. Or as it's second-ed, Charisma is the ever-popular dump stat for everyone. Really, you can pull off ANY of the basic four characters with your stat-line... you just need to accept that you're going to have a massive, glaring flaw and RP it well. Play a rogue with 5 wisdom and massive ADD... or a fighter from a savage culture with 5 int who can't read or write... and who's cunning plans always involve clubbing things in the head. Or just some creepy, eccentric mage who makes people nervous with his low charisma.... and the fact that he's constantly cackling to himself and acting strange. Have fun with it!

Matthew
2009-10-31, 12:34 PM
Looks like it is going to first level, yeah the 5 was kind of worrying me also.

I think I might ask the DM about a possible re-roll. Obviously having a high primary class stat is sweet but I'm not sure if it makes up for the others. Should I ask for a re-roll?

Most of the other players don't have much RP experience, and I'm not sure how long the campaign will stay around for. So maybe I just try for something that has better short term survivability like a fighter or something?

Assuming that the other players have a similar attribute spread you probably do not need a reroll, the method is just lower powered than was originally recommended for AD&D.

A cleric, as Lesser Minion suggests, is probably a reasonable choice, but fighter is also viable. A multi-class character is usually stronger at the lowest levels, but takes a longer time to advance by level. Putting the 17 in dexterity and the 5 in either intelligence, wisdom or charisma will probably get you the most combat viable character, and you could potentially increase it to 18 if you play an elf.

At low levels you do not have to worry too much about having a low intelligence as a magician, though it will impact the number of spells and how many you can have, but if you opted for fighter/magician or fighter/magician/thief then spells would just be an additional benefit, rather than character defining. Of course, level limits mean that level advancement will cease before that of humans.

Even if you choose something as simple as a human fighter probably dexterity is the best place for that 17.