PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Duskblade//Beguiler Gestalt any Good?

Zovc
2009-10-30, 10:34 AM
I know, I know, it's not [Wizard or Psion]//Factotum, but it has a lot of Intelligence-based spellcasting.

Is Duskblade//Beguiler a solid combination? Full BAB, d8, light armor while casting, 9th level casting on one side, and a lot of class features that don't explicitly say whether or not they apply to ONLY their class' spells.

It seems like a well built character with these two classes could fill practically every party role. Sure, it wouldn't make a great healbot, but... so?

ErrantX
2009-10-30, 10:38 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't be worthwhile. Beguilers have better spells, but duskblade magic isn't too shabby either. The spell channeling is nice, and you hit on all the other points. Really, there isn't much you couldn't do with that kind of a character.

-X

Fishy
2009-10-30, 10:39 AM
It's certainly a solid way to go, though I think I might prefer the Beguiler//Warblade. How many of the good Beguiler spells are touch-range?

Dusk Eclipse
2009-10-30, 10:42 AM
I think so, but you SHOULD take a mindbender dip to get telepathy and then take a feat whose name I don't remember, but that lets you detect anything with a mind in your telepathy radius

AmberVael
2009-10-30, 10:51 AM
I think so, but you SHOULD take a mindbender dip to get telepathy and then take a feat whose name I don't remember, but that lets you detect anything with a mind in your telepathy radius

Mindsight from Lords of Madness.

Zovc
2009-10-30, 10:51 AM

I believe it's called mindsight, or that's the ability granted by it. That'd require me to be a nongood character (which I'd like playing good characters), unless a DM waived that restriction.

I am for ignoring alignment restrictions in gestalt just so that players can do crazy things, but not everyone is for crazy stuff (then again, why are they playing gestalt?).

What are some cool PRCs that are worth losing a level of spells/class features? I've come to the conclusion -1 level of duskblade or beguiler casting isn't that harsh at level 20, as it's only one spell each. Class abilities, on the other hand, I'm not so good at judging.

Sand shaper kills a level of casting, but improves BOTH classes' spells known (zing!).

BooNL
2009-10-30, 11:02 AM
I am for ignoring alignment restrictions in gestalt just so that players can do crazy things, but not everyone is for crazy stuff (then again, why are they playing gestalt?).

I'm sorry for the offtopicness, but I have to interject here.

Gestalt is not just about crazy stuff. Most of the opnion on gestalt I've seen of this forum is that it's used for stupid overpowered cheesy illogical builds. Some people I've played with even tried to go theurge on a single side, along with other stupid things.

I like gestalt and it's generally the only way I play 3.5 these days. That said, I like it with restrictions, no more than 3 or 4 classes total, no dual progression, etc. For me, gestalt is about slightly more powerful characters, but easier (and more believable) builds. A Sorcerer//Paladin is IMO a lot more fun than a Paladin 2/Sorcerer 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 8/Something else 2.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-10-30, 11:07 AM
What are some cool PRCs that are worth losing a level of spells/class features? I've come to the conclusion -1 level of duskblade or beguiler casting isn't that harsh at level 20, as it's only one spell each. Class abilities, on the other hand, I'm not so good at judging.

Sand shaper kills a level of casting, but improves BOTH classes' spells known (zing!).
I like fiend blooded, but It requires two so so feats (Blood calls to blood and Eschew materials) ans being non-good.... Fiend blooded don't loose you a caster level until level 10, it also has expanded learinig for ANY spell of necromancy, enchantment, ilussion or the fire descriptor (Harm? inflict X line of spells? power words? shadow evocation/conjuration) and miscelaneous bonus to ability scores BTW it is in Heroes of horror

Burley
2009-10-30, 11:14 AM
In my mind, that's pretty awesome. Not only do you get the spell channeling for things like Touch of Idiocy and Feeblemind, you also get the Cloaked Casting stuff. It's a free (and better) Improved Feint. Adding the bonuses to DCs for all those spells would be disgustingly worth it.

Zovc
2009-10-30, 11:35 AM
I'm sorry for the offtopicness, but I have to interject here.

Gestalt is not just about crazy stuff. Most of the opnion on gestalt I've seen of this forum is that it's used for stupid overpowered cheesy illogical builds. Some people I've played with even tried to go theurge on a single side, along with other stupid things.

I like gestalt and it's generally the only way I play 3.5 these days. That said, I like it with restrictions, no more than 3 or 4 classes total, no dual progression, etc. For me, gestalt is about slightly more powerful characters, but easier (and more believable) builds. A Sorcerer//Paladin is IMO a lot more fun than a Paladin 2/Sorcerer 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 8/Something else 2.

I see your point, and it's mostly a difference of opinions. I think a Paladin 2/Fighter 2/ Abjurant Champion 1//Sorceror 4/Sand Shaper 1, and so on, is neater than the gestalt you alluded to. That's probably because (personally,) I like Paladin 2/Sorceror 4/ Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5 (it's only a 5-level class)/etc. more than Paladin X/Sorceror X.

I think what I'm proposing is that we "agree to disagree," and because of that, I'll try not to respond to you again here... but if you want to PM me I suppose we could talk about it (not that I think the discussion could get anywhere).

Anyways, lunch. I'll see what you guys have to say a little later.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-10-30, 02:31 PM
Snag Ocular Spell, so you can make any spell Ranged Touch. I'd go Beguiler 5/X 1/Beguiler 14//Duskblade 7/X 13 on the other.

If you can find a way to grab Haste for one of your spell lists(Eclectic Learning or Extra Spell), you can go Swiftblade on the Duskblade side, which would be nice.

Gnaeus
2009-10-30, 02:33 PM
Haste is on the Beguiler list.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-30, 02:40 PM

Gestalt is a good way to balance the disparity between classes, provided you know what you are doing.

@OP: Might I suggest Dread Necromancer (Heroes of Horror) instead? MAD increases, but you get a massive number of Touch spells to make up for it (including DR and a number of interesting abilities, and Harm!).

Gnaeus
2009-10-30, 02:42 PM
That build is nice. With tomb tainted soul, you even become your own healbot.