PDA

View Full Version : Feasability of an Invocation (3.5)

Cyperphobe
2009-10-30, 01:32 PM
Hey, so I was recently looking through Complete Arcane and became interested in the Warlock class. I was looking through least invocations and noticed an interesting one. Dark One's Own Luck. Basically you get your CHA bonus to one of your saving throws for 24 hours.
It has a clause that you can only boost one saving throw like this at a time, but couldn't you just dismiss the first one and recast it if you needed to switch it?

Anyway, this brings me to my question: I'm moderately sure that there are feats out there that let you use one saving throw in place of another because you are awesome or whatever, but would it be practical to get a really really high CHA bonus and pick up those feats and totally own saving throws?

You would only need one level of Warlock to pick up the Invocation, so I don't think its a bad investment on that side.

Also, IIRC, the bellflower tattoo from the Tattoed Monk class lets you use your CHA modifier in place of another modifier. Could I use that in place of my DEX modifier and get a really good reflex save with this combo, or would that not work so well?

Come on you munchkins, I know you want to look into this for me.

Zaydos
2009-10-30, 01:36 PM
Go to the in depth description of the invocation it says:

This bonus can never exceed your class level.

You need warlock levels or else it's a +1.

jiriku
2009-10-30, 01:52 PM
For a dedicated warlock, it's not a bad deal, although obviously effects that grant Charisma to all saves are better. If you know what you'll be facing, you can switch throughout the day to the save you're most likely to need. 'This dungeon may have traps, better boost my Ref saves. Rogue says there are carrion crawlers up ahead? Let's switch to Fort saves. BBEG is a beguiler? Will saves it is.'

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-30, 01:53 PM
Come on you munchkins, I know you want to look into this for me.

I'd say something rude and obnoxious, but appropriate here, but I'm on my 3rd major infraction.

As stated, the Invocation is limited by class level. Also:

Bellfl ower: Once per day per tattoo he possesses,
a character with this tattoo can add his Charisma
modifier as an enhancement bonus to any of his
ability scores (including Charisma). This benefit lasts for 1 round per class level.

So you couldn't replace Cha with Dex, but you could augment your Dex by your Cha. Targeting Cha was nerfed in the errata, so no shenanigans there.