PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Statting Devil May Cry characters

grautry
2009-10-30, 03:39 PM
I'm currently replaying the DMC series so I've been wondering - how would you actually build Nero or Dante in D&D?

I'm asking because my melee-fu is really quite weak and I'm uncertain as to how to stat out such characters.

For those unfamiliar with the game - those are the requirements.
1) Flashy, interesting style of combat with a variety of options. I'm assuming that this will mean that ToB is virtually a necessity for such builds.
2) Both characters need to have some sort of a temporary power-up(sort of like a Barbarian's Rage, but if you can think of another mechanic that fits, go for it).
3) They're technically half-demon but the half-fiend template doesn't really fit them so well. However, it's important to note that both need to look human(or at least human-ish).
4) Both combatants need to be effective in melee as well as ranged combat. Melee is still more emphasized. In the game, they use guns but that's obviously not a requirement(since it's medieval fantasy and all).
5) If you're building Nero then he needs to be a good grappler(well, sort-of, but it's probably easiest to adapt the Devil Bringer in such a way), while Dante has multiple "styles" of combat(here, I'm thinking that ToB stances fit the bill).
6) They're suggested to have regenerative powers/are really damn tough(surviving swords jammed through your chest = staple of the series). So, Fast Healing or Regeneration or just being really damn tough would be good.

So, any ideas for a build incorporating those elements?

Flayerman
2009-10-30, 03:43 PM
Tiefling Swordsage or Warblade for Dante.

Is there anything those classes -don't- solve?

Saintjebus
2009-10-30, 04:11 PM
+ 1 for Tiefling. Not familiar with Devil May Cry, but Tiefling fits "half-demon, but not half-fiend, and looks mostly human" idea.

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-30, 04:14 PM
Tiefling Swordsage or Warblade for Dante.

Is there anything those classes -don't- solve?

Devil Trigger...

Seriously, stating anyone from those games that isn't a badass normal or completely helpless is going to be a pain. Nero may be the easiest (Master of the Unseen Hand for DB, DT being Boots of Speed), but even that has snags (Red Queen).

Talbot
2009-10-30, 05:27 PM
I don't how much (if any) help it'd be, as it's 4th edition and also a Homebrew, but my Private Eye homebrew has a Paragon Path and Epic Destiny basically designed to let you make Dante (there's even a picture of him next to the Paragon). It may not be super useful insofar as statting him outright goes, but it might give you an idea for a homebrew Feat or Maneuver (or PrC) that could fill in the blanks on what you've already got.