PDA

View Full Version : Half-Elementals

PersonMan
2009-10-30, 04:06 PM
Could anyone tell me where to find the Half-Elemental template? I've heard it mentioned several times, but I haven't been able to find them. Thanks in advance.

hamishspence
2009-10-30, 04:06 PM
Manual of the Planes.

PersonMan
2009-10-30, 04:10 PM
Thanks. Textexttexttexttexttext

hamishspence
2009-10-30, 04:23 PM
also- Dragon 326 (December 2004) has them as 3-level monster classes- which don't have to be taken from 1st level- a high level character can transform into a half-elemental if DM agrees and it fits with the story.

No half-paraelementals though.

PersonMan
2009-10-30, 05:54 PM
Speaking of paraelmentals, it looks like their CR isn't listed

hamishspence
2009-10-30, 05:56 PM
in Manual of the Planes?

Page 185- very end- becuase all paraelementals have the same CRs, there is one very small section of the statblock that is separated off- applies to all four.

CR 1 Small, CR 3 Medium, CR5 Large, CR 7 Huge, CR 9 Greater, CR 11 Elder.

Elemental Monoliths are in Complete Arcane.

Paraelemental Monoliths are in Dragon 347- as are Smoke, Ice, Ooze, Magma Element Creatures, to match the ones in Manual of the Planes.

there are no Paraelemental Primal Elementals to match the Epic Handbook Primal Elementals though.

PersonMan
2009-10-30, 05:58 PM
...Thanks. Again. This is just an example of, say, a 5 on your Search check. ...I feel foolish.

hamishspence
2009-10-30, 06:02 PM
one of the things complained about in 3.0 statblocks, was splitting them up over multiple pages this way- so you're not the only one.

Hmm- maybe if you wanted half-paraelementals, you could homebrew them using Manual of the Planes as a guideline.

or, half-Storm Elementals, with the MM3 Storm Elemental being the base Elemental.

There are probably a few other exotics- Tome of Magic Shadow Elementals, Heroes of Horror Taint Elementals, etc.

PersonMan
2009-10-30, 06:09 PM
Not really. I wanted an ice elemental and half-elemental, and was looking for the ice elemental stats. But thanks anyways.

arguskos
2009-10-30, 06:24 PM
If we're on the topic of lolElementals, then the third-party (but really good) source Denizens of the Inner Planes (from the guys over at Planewalker) has the Quasi-Elementals statted out. They're pretty decent. It also has an Archomental template. :smallamused:

PersonMan
2009-10-30, 06:48 PM
If we're on the topic of lolElementals, then the third-party (but really good) source Denizens of the Inner Planes (from the guys over at Planewalker) has the Quasi-Elementals statted out. They're pretty decent. It also has an Archomental template. :smallamused:

Quasi-elementals? lolElementals?

:smallconfused:

arguskos
2009-10-30, 07:03 PM
Quasi-elementals? lolElementals?

:smallconfused:
The latter is a bad joke. The former are the Quasi-Elementals. There are:
-the Elementals (Fire, Earth, Water, and Air)
-the Para-Elementals, which are when two of the above combine (Ooze, Smoke, Ice, Magma)
-and the Quasi-Elementals, which are when one of the normal four elementals combines with one of the Postive or Negative energy planes (Lightning, Radiance, Salt, Ash, Vacuum, Dust, Mineral, and Steam)

There's a lot of elementals out there. :smallwink:

PersonMan
2009-10-30, 07:18 PM
-the Para-Elementals, which are when two of the above combine (Ooze, Smoke, Ice, Magma)
-and the Quasi-Elementals, which are when one of the normal four elementals combines with one of the Postive or Negative energy planes (Lightning, Radiance, Salt, Ash, Vacuum, Dust, Mineral, and Steam)

I see. Then I guess that Blood Elementals wouldn't be too far-fetched? They'd be Earth+Water, Earth for the minerals in blood, and Water for the plasma and general water-y...ness.

Or they could be Mineral+Salt+Water.

arguskos
2009-10-30, 07:58 PM
I see. Then I guess that Blood Elementals wouldn't be too far-fetched? They'd be Earth+Water, Earth for the minerals in blood, and Water for the plasma and general water-y...ness.

Well, no, not really, they wouldn't make a vast amount of sense. See, the Quasi- and Para-elementals make sense because it's all linked to the planar cosmology. See, check this out:
http://images.absoluteastronomy.com/images/encyclopediaimages/i/in/innerplanes.jpg
As you can see, each connection makes sense here.

Now, it's your game of course, so if you want Blood Elementals, have a blast, but given the above set up, they don't make much sense. Then again, if you want 'em and will have fun, go for it! :smallsmile:

Jergmo
2009-10-30, 08:48 PM
Wouldn't this just be the Genasi? Where can those be found, anyway?

Starbuck_II
2009-10-30, 08:50 PM

What about Candy Elementals? From the elemental plane of candy.
Are they elemental, Para, or Quasi?

Jergmo
2009-10-30, 08:56 PM
What about Candy Elementals? From the elemental plane of candy.
Are they elemental, Para, or Quasi?

Quasi. :smallsmile:

Innis Cabal
2009-10-30, 08:59 PM

There is a Quasi Plane of Blood in Ravenloft. There are in fact Blood Elementals there if I remember correctly.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-30, 09:02 PM
Wouldn't this just be the Genasi? Where can those be found, anyway?

The Forgotten Realms Campaign setting is the only place I've seen them.

arguskos
2009-10-30, 09:04 PM
There is a Quasi Plane of Blood in Ravenloft. There are in fact Blood Elementals there if I remember correctly.
That's Ravenloft, which is a special case as far as the planar structure goes, but yes, there is that. :smallwink:

Listen to Innis, he's a neat dude. :smallsmile:

flabort
2009-10-30, 09:06 PM
Hmm... wouldn't the opposites also "combine" into quasi-elementals?
earth+wind=Ballance
Fire+water=Emotion

...Maybe?

And, then we could Potentially make Quasi-para-elementals, or:

Positive+Magma=Mineral+radiant=Wealth
Positive+Ooze=mineral+steam=Flesh
Positive+Smoke=Radiance+lightning=Sonic?
Positive+Ice=steam+lightning=Storm
Positive+Ballance=Mineral+lightning=Glass
Positive+Emotion=Radiance+steam=????
negative+Magma=Dust+ash=???
negative+Ooze=salt+dust=Drought
negative+Smoke=vacuum+ash=???
negative+Ice=vacuum+salt=???
negative+Ballance=Dust+vacuum=Cleansing
negative+Emotion=salt+ash=Spice/flavor

Ok, i'm stuck on a few, but, you get the idea.

Edit: hexa-ninja'd! ouch, that's a new personal record!

Thurbane
2009-10-30, 09:16 PM
Don't forget the Shadow Elemental (ToM) and Taint Elemental (HoH).

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-31, 05:03 AM
I'm a big fan of the Ruin Elemental (MM4 or 5)

Anyone know a way to summon elementals other that the basic 4 (earth, fire wind water)?

Adumbration
2009-10-31, 06:08 AM
I'm a big fan of the Ruin Elemental (MM4 or 5)

Anyone know a way to summon elementals other that the basic 4 (earth, fire wind water)?

I think you can summon Storm elementals with one of the basic spells.

bosssmiley
2009-10-31, 07:34 AM
Hmm... wouldn't the opposites also "combine" into quasi-elementals?
earth+wind=Ballance
Fire+water=Emotion

...Maybe?

And, then we could Potentially make Quasi-para-elementals, or:

Positive+Magma=Mineral+radiant=Wealth
Positive+Ooze=mineral+steam=Flesh
Positive+Smoke=Radiance+lightning=Sonic?
Positive+Ice=steam+lightning=Storm
Positive+Ballance=Mineral+lightning=Glass
Positive+Emotion=Radiance+steam=????
negative+Magma=Dust+ash=???
negative+Ooze=salt+dust=Drought
negative+Smoke=vacuum+ash=???
negative+Ice=vacuum+salt=???
negative+Ballance=Dust+vacuum=Cleansing
negative+Emotion=salt+ash=Spice/flavor

Ok, i'm stuck on a few, but, you get the idea.

*shudder*

Pseudo-elemental planes. It had to happen sooner or later.

"Systematization of the fantastic: taking the wonder and mystery out of your fantasy since 1974."

The definitive planar sourcebook is still - IMO - the Planescape Guide to the Inner Planes. That had diagrams and blocks of description that explained how each elemental, para- and quasi- plane altered slightly in composition as you moved towards/away from the planar borders. It made otherwise homogeneous places like the Plane of Fire into something more than just "I'm on fire! Why is all that I love flammable?!" + the City of Brass. The Inner Planes were still 'singleminded', just not tediously so.

Once upon a time you could get pdfs of all the old Planescape books and take a look at them yourself, but I understand that's not possible now thanks to the dog-in-a-manger attitude of WOTC. :smallannoyed:

(If only unauthorised distribution of material over the Internet were more than an impossible pipe dream... :smallwink: )

Darrin
2009-10-31, 09:16 AM

Planar Ally/Binding. Gate. Candle of InvOMGWTF?