PDA

View Full Version : Templates

gallagher
2009-10-30, 06:09 PM
hey, i have just finished my first game recently, and i have a couple questions before i jump into my next game.

question the first: what are templates, how do they work, and what are some good ones?

secondly: why does everyone give such a hard time to rangers? i played a ranger, and next game i am considering using ranger+scout with swift hunter from complete scoundrel, and i think it will work well. gonna run him like a barbarian without the rage, and consider taking two levels of barb to add to the charging ability of this hybrid.

third: is it just me or do bards seem under-appreciated? i can definitely see the value of one when you need to enter any type of negotiation, gather information, and the ability to just make everyone better at changing the battlefield at the same time?

thank you for any help. i only have a PHB, and i have my friends' complete scoundrel, and i dont really know where to look for these things

BRC
2009-10-30, 06:24 PM
To answer your first question, Templates (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#templates)
Your second question, Rangers get hate because they are a martial class not from ToB.
As for your third, Bards are very useful, but they're not very much fun to play in non RP-Heavy campaigns.

gallagher
2009-10-30, 07:04 PM
To answer your first question, Templates (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#templates)
Your second question, Rangers get hate because they are a martial class not from ToB.
As for your third, Bards are very useful, but they're not very much fun to play in non RP-Heavy campaigns.
thanks for the help!

the site lists a few templates that have a +1 CL. what is CL (caster level?) and are there any that i can add to a character currently being played and at a 0 CL? or if there isnt, what are the consequences of a +1 (and how do i do it?)

deuxhero
2009-10-30, 07:11 PM
CL can mean caster level or character level, without knowing what tamplate you are refering to, I'm assuming it is character level. For players, it is generally equal to class levels/hit dice.
ECL is your hit dice plus your Level Adjustment. Level Adjustment is like a level for the purposes of XP and loot, but no HD, class features, skills, spells ect. Genreally bad, unless you can buy it off (SRD, unearthed arcana)

Would help to know the template in question.

KillianHawkeye
2009-10-30, 07:21 PM
Templates don't generally list "+1 CL" to mean character level. That's covered by the Level Adjustement. Although, I can't think of any templates off the top of my head that advance caster level, either. So... I dunno.