PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any 'traditional' food they eat while they are unwell?

loopy
2009-10-30, 07:12 PM
Hey all!

I've been struggling this past week with glandular fever, lots of fun all around. I've finally stopped throwing up absolutely everything I try and eat or drink, which is a relief, but I obviously shouldn't start eating normal foods straight away.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what you usually eat when you are unwell? If you have a 'step-by-step' guide from "unable to eat a thing" all the way through to "I can eat normally again, huzzah!" That would be tops.

Besides, I love reading about food, even if I can't eat it, haha. :smallbiggrin:

SDF
2009-10-30, 07:17 PM
Avoid things that are hard on your stomach, dairy products, spicy food, anything with a lot of simple carbohydrates.

Fruits, vegetables, whole grain toast, and things like chicken noodle soup are your best friends. Avoid juice, water and unsweetened tea are where it is at.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-10-30, 07:47 PM
Chicken Cup-A-Soups and Raisin Toast? :smallcool:

Eon
2009-10-30, 07:49 PM
hmmm.... COOKIES!

CoffeeIncluded
2009-10-30, 08:33 PM
My mom's chicken soup. :smallsmile:

Innis Cabal
2009-10-30, 08:35 PM
Milk is actually great for upset stomachs. And despite what the above says, spicey food is to. Its a total myth that this will upset your stomach. Unless of course your stomach is weaker to that sort of thing. Then its best to avoid. A great deal of the properties that give spicy food its kick are natural heal many's. Like Cure All's, but not as broad. I'd suggest something with a good deal of kick personally, always cures me straight up.

thubby
2009-10-30, 08:48 PM
cinnamon. it tastes good, is good for your stomach, and you can put it on toast.

Coidzor
2009-10-30, 08:51 PM
Chicken Noodle Soup.

Tomato Soup.

beef stew that's basically falling apart...

Orange Juice.

A shot glass full of vinegar.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-30, 08:52 PM
Instand noodles, usually. Or tea.

Phae Nymna
2009-10-30, 09:45 PM
Matzoh ball soup for me. If you get it fresh, check to make sure the cook doesn't roll the matzoh balls. Rolling make prettier ball, but ultimately make them dense and rubbery.

I also really like buttered warm ciabatta and shamefully, Pillsbury layers biscuits.

As far as drinkable things go, Sprite and ginger ale are usually my friends during stomach sicknesses. If not, hot tea with lemon or cream and sugar. Goat's milk ain't half bad though, and it's easy on the stomach b/c there's no lactose. OR something.

Get better! (I demand it!)

Coidzor
2009-10-30, 10:26 PM
Goat's milk has less lactose. I believe sheep's milk has even less in it than goat's which has less than cow's which has less than mare's...

golentan
2009-10-30, 10:30 PM
I generally have lots of tea, and soup, and if I have a sore throat will throw some cloves into the mix.

Anuan
2009-10-31, 12:00 AM
Apple juice, and those little pre-mixed porridge packets that you put in milk and put in the microwave...the good brand. Can't remember which one (I'm oh-so-useful -_-), but the brand I like (It MIGHT be uncle toby's?) has one that has vanilla and apple in there which is great. :smallbiggrin:

Mr. Mud
2009-10-31, 12:19 AM
A few meatballs. Depending on your stomach strength (and mine is cast iron), protein can really ease an upset stomach... just in the right proportions. Coca Cola has been known to soothe stomach abnormalities as well.

Feel Better :smalltongue:.

Jack Squat
2009-10-31, 12:35 AM
I heat up a can of chicken broth. Sounds weird, works fine.

Anuan
2009-10-31, 12:40 AM
I heat up a can of chicken broth. Sounds weird, works fine.

Doesn't sound that wierd. There's evidence to show it's the actual flavour of chicken and less the ingredients and nutrients in chicken soup that relieve symptoms; somehow it tells your brain to set off certain things in your immune system, or something. I can't remember much about it...

Aystra
2009-10-31, 12:43 AM
Something warm and nutritous, like soup.

Jack Squat
2009-10-31, 12:47 AM
Doesn't sound that wierd. There's evidence to show it's the actual flavour of chicken and less the ingredients and nutrients in chicken soup that relieve symptoms; somehow it tells your brain to set off certain things in your immune system, or something. I can't remember much about it...

The weird part is probably more that I drink it out of a mug than actually just using hot chicken broth.

I didn't know about the research, that's kinda cool; I just always liked the taste and it's a little more challenging to drink chicken noodle soup out of a mug.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2009-10-31, 12:53 AM
I usually go for soda crackers and 7 up.

Anuan
2009-10-31, 12:53 AM
I do that with takeout gravy >.>

Actually, that's another one. Hot, thick gravy from a roadhouse or chip shop, with chicken and chips. Dip said food into the gravy, devour.

billtodamax
2009-10-31, 01:10 AM
Chicken soup. Cliched, but it works.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-31, 01:13 AM
Mac. And cheese. Made by Mom. =3

And turkey and provolone sammiches.

And tomato, potato, or chicken noodle soup. *nods*

Thajocoth
2009-10-31, 01:14 AM
Vitamin C. OJ's got some... Vitamin C pills have a lot more.

We also traditionally drink Ginger Ale while sick. No idea why. I can't avoid dairy without starving to death and I don't eat any soups or the like, so a lot of other people's suggestions wouldn't work for me. Luckily though, I almost never get sick. I assume it's because I've got a higher average body temp while healthy than average.

Tea when the throat starts to get sore from coughing.

Trog
2009-10-31, 01:31 AM
Campbell's chicken noodle soup. And saltine crackers. And a glass bottle of warm 7-up. All had while curled up on the couch under a blanket with The Price is Right on TV.

That's what it always was when I was sick as a child.

Nowadays its whatever I guess. Usually I never have any of those things on hand... and I no longer watch nor have TV and... well... they don't really make 7-up in glass bottles anymore. =/

arguskos
2009-10-31, 01:58 AM
well... they don't really make 7-up in glass bottles anymore. =/
Yes they do. I used to be able to buy it at Wal-Mart, til they ran out last month. :smallannoyed:

It can be had though, no mistake. Just takes looking around.

Aystra
2009-10-31, 02:03 AM
Actually, for stomach problems, I like to eat a rice porridge made by my mom.

rubakhin
2009-10-31, 02:22 AM
I like to drink tea with honey and a little bit of vodka, but that's more for head cold kind of thing.

If you still have nausea (and you can get it, and you're not overly moral) marijuana is good for that. So is ginger, ginger ale is good to drink when you're nauseated. And things with salt will help you keep water and not get dehydrated.

golentan
2009-10-31, 02:41 AM

That kind of makes sense. If you think how long humans have been eating chicken, and historical cooking and preservation (or lack thereof) and how many diseases the little buggers carry...

I'm just saying it makes sense that the body's response to chicken flavor is "BRACE FOR IMPACT, ALL HANDS ON DECK!!!"

Bhu
2009-10-31, 04:40 AM
chicken soup and tons of raw habaneros (unless i have an intestinal virus or a cold that produces vomiting)

Kallisto
2009-10-31, 05:55 AM
I sip ginger ale and wait at least 20 minutes, to see if it will stay in. Then, it's Lipton's Chicken and Noodles soup. Then, if everything has stayed where it's supposed to be, I'll add a few soda crackers.

I avoid milk products (yogourts, milk, cheese, butter, creamy sauces and soups) like the plague, until the next day. It has less to do with their effect going down, and more with their effect coming back up, should it come to that. I'll spare you the details.

Couch and blanket and TV are a must, also :)

The only exception to that was when I was pregnant with my first son. My daily morning routine would be a trip to the bathroom to hug the toilet, then a run to the kitchen to eat breakfast because I was starving like crazy. It wierded my husband out.

Etcetera
2009-10-31, 05:57 AM
Warm honey and lemon...
It's quite nice as well.

Lord Loss
2009-10-31, 08:05 AM
Ice Cubes :D.

Xsesiv
2009-10-31, 08:20 AM
Cup of tea with a big ol' chunk of root ginger in it. Also a cup of vinegar. That should kill off the infection before it kills you.

And oranges and chicken soup. That's pretty much it.

bosssmiley
2009-10-31, 08:25 AM
Chicken soup if sick.

Flat cola + cold pizza if hungover.

Pika...
2009-10-31, 08:40 AM
Warm honey and lemon...
It's quite nice as well.

Sounds nice.

How do you make that?

Etcetera
2009-10-31, 08:47 AM
Hot water, put a slice of lemon in and a spoonful of honey. Stir well, Remove lemon and spoon. Drink. Serve warm.

It is quite nice.

Pika...
2009-10-31, 08:52 AM
Hot water, put a slice of lemon in and a spoonful of honey. Stir well, Remove lemon and spoon. Drink. Serve warm.

It is quite nice.

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated. :smallsmile:

Just a question please:
Should the water be boiling (I do not know much about cooking...) when I drop the lemon in?

Etcetera
2009-10-31, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't boil it, since it'll a) be to hot to immediately drink and b) destroy some of the nutrients within the lemon. Heat it in a kettle by all means, but (assuming you have an automatic kettle) turn it off before the water boils.

Mauve Shirt
2009-10-31, 09:04 AM
You can tell it's flu and cold season because all of the orange juice at the various campus eateries will be GONE.

Pika...
2009-10-31, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't boil it, since it'll a) be to hot to immediately drink and b) destroy some of the nutrients within the lemon. Heat it in a kettle by all means, but (assuming you have an automatic kettle) turn it off before the water boils.

Many thanks.

While I do not have a kettle, I will try it with simmered water.

You can tell it's flu and cold season because all of the orange juice at the various campus eateries will be GONE.

Good idea to avoid the eateries then?

Partof1
2009-10-31, 11:40 AM
Green Tea
Ginger Ale
Apple Juice (takes taste of any medicines out of your mouth)
Anything with or tasting like chicken
A comfortable couch, a warm blanket, tv, and hour after hour of sleep.

Kneenibble
2009-10-31, 08:40 PM
The best medicine is this. I simmer sliced fresh ginger and dried red chile flakes in a pot for 10-15 minutes, and then add lemon juice and honey once it's off the boil. It packs a punch, but its fires clear all the little snot-packed nooks and crannies in the head, and it's very soothing for the stomach too.

Good sick food around this man's house is homemade toast and moong dal.

V'icternus
2009-10-31, 08:50 PM
Apple juice and honey. Mixed together, microwaved for a while.

It's the ultimate cure for the common cold.

And is so... remedy-ish.

Kcalehc
2009-11-02, 11:01 AM
Milk. Personally, I find it reassuring and tasty.

My grandma used to swear by coal dust dissolved in hot water. Seriously. Though I hated it at the time, I realise now that carbon is actually a decent compound for filtering and soaking up nasty stuff; so it may have actually been useful. Probably not so easy to come by these days though.

Dirk Kris
2009-11-02, 11:25 AM
Chicken noodle soup, saltine crackers, ginger ale or flat Sprite. I swear by it. Of course, in the hospital, they make you start with ice chips and work your way up.

loopy
2009-11-02, 07:16 PM
Bleh, so as soon as my stomach decided to settle down, my tonsils pick that precise moment to swell up like balloons, making swallowing excruciatingly painful.

So now I can eat/drink anything... As long as its liquid.

I was meant to start a new job yesterday, too. loopy needs hugs. :smallfrown:

thorgrim29
2009-11-02, 07:53 PM
Hangover: start with lightly buttered toast and then work my way up the food chain in a feeding frenzy as I come progressively more alive.

Sore throat/cold/when I feel like it: Juice of half a lemon, warm water, honey, and rum to taste (usually a few ounces).

Also when I'm queasy I like to kick my stomach into submission, usually by drinking sodium bicarbonate if it's very bad (you either feel better or throw up) or a few eggs with dark coffee.

golentan
2009-11-02, 08:03 PM
Bleh, so as soon as my stomach decided to settle down, my tonsils pick that precise moment to swell up like balloons, making swallowing excruciatingly painful.

*hugs loopy*

Yuck. Feel better soon.

With tonsils, you may want to see a doc. But overall, I'd reiterate hot tea and chicken soup.

alchemyprime
2009-11-03, 12:36 AM

Yeah. I understand that. A side effect of my supertasting abilities are an enlarged tongue and tonsils. Whenever I get sick, my throat closes off. I feel your pain, bro.:smallfrown:

Now, as for foods. I'll make a flow chart.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/alchemyprime/TheSickFlowchart.jpg

GAThraawn
2009-11-03, 09:45 AM
Yeah. I understand that. A side effect of my supertasting abilities are an enlarged tongue and tonsils. Whenever I get sick, my throat closes off. I feel your pain, bro.:smallfrown:

Now, as for foods. I'll make a flow chart.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/alchemyprime/TheSickFlowchart.jpg

Remind me to never take advice from you regarding anything even remotely food related.

My favourite dish for ilness when I was a kid was a plate of spaghetti, hot buttered and with pepper. Now my tastes have matured enough to find that unpallettably bland, but mix in some pesto and very finely sliced peppers, onion and, if you feel up to it, bacon, and you can have a very pleasent meal that's easy to keep down.

Archonic Energy
2009-11-03, 10:06 AM
Severe vomiting: Orange juice (it tastes nearly the same coming back up)
Vomiting: toast. only butter
Stomach ache: moderate amounts of whatever i want

Severe Dioreah: Orange Juice (it tastes... oh wait)
Severe dioreah: Liquids... LOTS of liquids (greater chance of absorbsion into the body)
dioreah: Steak (lets see you try to fit THAT through the eye of a needle!)

OverdrivePrime
2009-11-03, 07:13 PM
For the common cold, I uses to drink plenty if very strong screwdrivers: OL for the vitamin C, Vodka for the not caring about being sick.

Now that I'm older and actually get more than four hours of sleep a night, I haven't gotten more than a seasonally runny nose for several years. And cancer, but that was just the one time and had a nice lasery solution.

Cleverdan22
2009-11-03, 07:52 PM
Minestrone. Like a charm. Also orange juice, and when I start feeling slightly better, yogurt with honey in it. Delicious. Crackers are good too.

KerfuffleMach2
2009-11-04, 10:02 PM
What I usually consume during the sick times.

Chicken noodle soup. Crackers added if you want.

Toast. Light jelly if you want.

Room temperature ginger ale, sprite, or 7-up.

Apple juice.

Plain bread.