PDA

View Full Version : curse casting gypsy! Help me build it!

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-10-30, 07:17 PM
Rules:
dnd 3.5
Dragon magazine ok
human
no rule loop holes or cheese.

stats are not yet rolled.

Boci
2009-10-30, 08:12 PM
Wizard/sorceror with necromantic debuffs? Shadowcaster? Factotum is you want to be less focused on magic but still be able to cast spells. Or fighter, you curse causing people to feel pain and bleed. Cleric, drawing power from your ancestors? (Read: need more infromation)

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-10-30, 08:19 PM
Wizard/sorceror with necromantic debuffs? Shadowcaster? Factotum is you want to be less focused on magic but still be able to cast spells. Or fighter, you curse causing people to feel pain and bleed. Cleric, drawing power from your ancestors? (Read: need more infromation)

I shall paint the seen: creepy person wearing a neckalce of chickens feat walks out of the woods. you laugh at their strange appearance. They get in your face. "Are you mocking me? Are you insulting me?" Then they spit in their hand rub some dirt into it, draw some mumbo jumbo on the ground and say somthing like. "i curse you! you will feel humiliation!" then you get hit with a feeble mind. . . or a lightning bolt. . . or whatever some bad effect.

I'd like somthing along those lines. . . like a hexblade minus the blade or something.

Dhavaer
2009-10-30, 08:23 PM
Doesn't Ravenloft have a human subrace for this? Vistani or something?

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-10-30, 08:24 PM
Doesn't Ravenloft have a human subrace for this? Vistani or something?

I was hoping for a class. . . or combination of classes

Foryn Gilnith
2009-10-30, 08:26 PM
You don't need a class. Just wear your freaky chicken feet and rattle off deranged curses at the table whenever you cast a sorcerer/wizard spell. IIRC Frostburn has a feat called Primitive Caster, which gives you bonuses for adding mumbo jumbo and spit-dirt into your hands.

Dixieboy
2009-10-30, 08:32 PM
Primitive caster gives a +1 effective caster level pr. added component to a spell.

But really, all you need is "Bestow curse", the rest is fluff. :smallredface:

Boci
2009-10-30, 08:33 PM
Primitive caster gives a +1 effective caster level pr. added component to a spell.

Not even that spell. Just any spell with a negative consequence of failing a save, preferably something aside damage, however.

mabriss lethe
2009-10-30, 09:30 PM
warlock 6+ with the bestow curse invocation and a lot of essence invocations.

taltamir
2009-10-30, 09:37 PM
most arcane casters are banned from wearing armor... this means they just wear clothes, any clothes. so your clothes are gypsy clothes.

there are tons of debuffs and flat out curses that you can choose from the wizard / sorcerer list, so just chose them. Thematically I think a sorcerer is more appropriate. Also you can be a warlock

Problem is, by neglecting non curse spells you are doing yourself quite a disservice... no haste? no teleport? no fly?

I would ask your DM for a refluff... that is:
1. replace all material component in the book with material components of your choice (same gp cost).
2. flight spells imbue / summon (depending on their power) a broom, which you ride.
etc.

Remember that the CLASS written on your character sheet is not what you are called in game. Not all people who sing in taverns and call themselves bards have the class bard, and are descendants of dragons and cast magic.

A frail unarmed old woman who can occasionally curse someone is pretty cool... but she is not gonna be able to do much of anything in a fight; if playing very low magic it can be enjoyable, but make sure you are in line with the power of the rest of your party.

BobVosh
2009-10-30, 09:53 PM

Sorc X with this. Use eschew materials to get rid of the non-odd stuff.

Have hideous laughter, confusion, bestow curse. Choose other spells. Done.

taltamir
2009-10-30, 10:43 PM
your DM should give you eschew material without wasting a feat... since it is so utterly bad.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-10-30, 10:54 PM
Warlock. Bestow Curse is a Lesser Invocation. You can also stock up on all the status-effect Eldritch Blast Invocations (hindering, sickening, etc...) and Utterdark Blast for negative levels.

Lord Loss
2009-10-31, 08:07 AM
Beguiler + Shadowdancer. Dip rogue as wanted/needed.

deuxhero
2009-10-31, 08:36 AM
Odd that hexblade is only mentioned once. It is kinda underpowered, so you may want to look up various efforts to rebalance it.

Boci
2009-10-31, 08:38 AM
Odd that hexblade is only mentioned once. It is kinda underpowered, so you may want to look up various efforts to rebalance it.

The OP said they didn't like the blade part of that class.

deuxhero
2009-10-31, 08:39 AM
When did hexblade require a slashing weapon? I'm guessing that means the gish part.

Boci
2009-10-31, 08:42 AM
When did hexblade require a slashing weapon? I'm guessing that means the gish part.

I think they meant the general martial abilities of the class by blade. They seem to be more interested in a caster closer to a wizard power, or at least the warlock.

JellyPooga
2009-10-31, 09:35 AM
Bard.

Fluff it how you like, but Bards make perfect gypsies of whatever caliber. Add the Primitive Spellcaster feat for flavourful goodness.

taltamir
2009-10-31, 01:51 PM

the old gypsy coan mutters under her breath and throws down some bones and a beheads a live chicken... And then she pulles out a longsword and you realise she is wearing full plate under those robes and proceeds to melee you to death..

Hexblades get curses, but they are the exact opposite of what the op is going for

Bard.

Fluff it how you like, but Bards make perfect gypsies of whatever caliber. Add the Primitive Spellcaster feat for flavourful goodness.

Is there a reason not to take this one? you basically get a free +1 CL for all spells for the cost of adding fluff to your character.

ericgrau
2009-10-31, 01:56 PM
Sorc X with this. Use eschew materials to get rid of the non-odd stuff.

Have hideous laughter, confusion, bestow curse. Choose other spells. Done.

This. Except single target SoS's are relatively weak compared to hitting an area. So spells like slow may be better options. The nice thing about bestow curse OTOH (even though it's single target) is that it lasts a long long time and the enemy might not have a remove curse ready. So including some hit and run tactics may be a good idea. Maybe some scry and die stuff, or speed or invisibility or etc. And while the existing bestow curse options are nice, I recommend frequent custom curses for a character centered around cursing.

Gralamin
2009-10-31, 01:58 PM
Just throwing this out there, but the Shadowcaster can be built to do this. Not that I'd recommend the Shadowcaster to many people...