PDA

View Full Version : Belkar: Old vs New

Sequinox
2009-10-30, 10:15 PM
So, since the Belkster's "huge change in character" (which was totally fake at first and still probably is), I've noticed he's become a much funnier character to me (in that I don't really find just killing everything to be that funny... Well, most of the time, I tend to like sarcastic humor more. They're both funny, though.)

The question is, which version of Belkar did you like more, and why?

The Odor
2009-10-31, 10:23 AM
So, since the Belkster's "huge change in character" (which was totally fake at first and still probably is), I've noticed he's become a much funnier character to me (in that I don't really find just killing everything to be that funny... Well, most of the time, I tend to like sarcastic humor more. They're both funny, though.)

The...

Old one. Because I like angry people. New still funny though

Dienekes
2009-10-31, 10:51 AM
New Belkar hasn't turned over an androgynous elf and placed bees on her, nor randomly killed a gnome.

While new Belkar is still hilarious, something about the old psycho tickles me funny bone.

Optimystik
2009-10-31, 02:21 PM
The "new" Belkar is slightly more bearable.

Zevox
2009-10-31, 02:37 PM
New Belkar hasn't turned over an androgynous elf and placed bees on her, nor randomly killed a gnome.

While new Belkar is still hilarious, something about the old psycho tickles me funny bone.
Pretty much this. Nice to see Belkar trying to be smarter about his actions - disappointing to know that it doesn't matter, he's going to die anyway, and is merely being slightly less funny in the meantime as a result of it. So while new Belkar is still good, old was better.

Zevox

Berserk Monk
2009-10-31, 02:48 PM

:belkar: I'm a Sexy Shoeless God of War!!!

bluewind95
2009-10-31, 02:51 PM
I'm not one who much likes the "stab everything" humor, so I prefer the new Belkar. Knowing that he is faking it all and those around him have no idea makes it all amusing to me for some reason.

drengnikrafe
2009-10-31, 03:43 PM
Whenever I play D&D, I somehow invariable end up a Paladin. Or at least, something LG. I hate to see things as destructive as Belkar, though my party members tend to want to play those sorts of characters. The final point of this (mini)rant being... I don't like either Belkar. The old one was too evil, and the new one is just the old one lying about being so evil while being marginally less evil (which balances out to equally evil, if not more so, but equally irritating).

Optimystik
2009-10-31, 03:51 PM
I'm not one who much likes the "stab everything" humor, so I prefer the new Belkar. Knowing that he is faking it all and those around him have no idea makes it all amusing to me for some reason.

For "stab everything" humor done right, see Black Mage from 8-Bit Theater (if you haven't already done so.)

AlphaTheRed
2009-10-31, 03:55 PM
I think an important part of the "new" Belkar is Mr. Scruffy. He seems to serve as Belkar's personal morality pet, and he has shown genuine care for the cat. Belkar is still a sociopath, yes, but as his recent conversation with the slavers shows, he needs a reason to kill things now. Admittedly, it has to be a reason that makes sense to a stab-happy halfling, but the new Belkar does follow a definite internal compass.

The directions seem to be "Stab, Kill, Insult, and Save Mr. Scruffy," but notice that one of those options is non-lethal.

Haven
2009-10-31, 04:27 PM

I think the best part is that Belkar trying to be helpful involves finding prostitutes, a cart of gophers, and having Durkon get smacked on the head with a hammer.

I like to think this is genuinely what Belkar thinks being Good is like. XD

Cizak
2009-10-31, 04:50 PM
While I have nothing against New Belkar, I still find Old a little bit funnier.

Sewblon
2009-10-31, 04:52 PM
I don't know why, but I like the new Belkar a little bit more.

mockingbyrd7
2009-10-31, 06:04 PM
I honestly haven't noticed much of a difference in Belkar's behavior. He's just being slightly sneakier about his delusional, insane, murderous nature. He hasn't changed a bit. I don't think there even is an "old" or "new" Belkar. He's just Belkar... and he's hilarious as usual.

thubby
2009-11-01, 09:08 AM
both.
old was good, but was obviously not a sustainable character, so he changed.

Lord Loss
2009-11-01, 09:12 AM
Belkar is my favorite character, and i personally love his new incarnation. He's just about as funny as before, but his charcter has aquired depth. He is much more fun than before. And I LUVZ CATZ!

Mauve Shirt
2009-11-01, 09:38 AM
Belkar's "character development" has made him much funnier to me. He's still my least favorite member of the order though.

73 Bits of Lint
2009-11-01, 09:47 AM
New Belkar has yet to say anything as funny as:
"See, now that's what being on a team is all about. You wanted to not kill any hobgoblins, I wanted to kill all the hobgoblins, and what happened? We compromised: I killed one of the hobgoblins."
That whole strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html) was my favorite Belkar moment.

Bibliomancer
2009-11-01, 09:53 AM
New Belkar has yet to say anything as funny as:
"See, now that's what being on a team is all about. You wanted to not kill any hobgoblins, I wanted to kill all the hobgoblins, and what happened? We compromised: I killed one of the hobgoblins."
That whole strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html) was my favorite Belkar moment.

This was quite funny, but in some ways I prefer the new Belkar. At least, I would, if he wasn't going to die soon anyways and so was wasting his last few days when he could be indiscriminately slaughtering someone. At this point, it doesn't look like Belkar is going to die saving someone (there isn't time for enough character development to allow that to happen, unless it's Mr. Scruffy) so it is a bit annoying that he is reforming for nothing.

Until then though, he remains amusing without slowing down the plot.

Ancalagon
2009-11-01, 10:21 AM
The Old Belkar still is the New Belkar. He's barely managing to *cough* hide what he really is.

But in general: I like the new twist to that character very much. "Shojo" really summed it up, Belkar was boring and done the way he has acted over the last years. It was nice, but it really, really grew old.
Now, the very same jokes as before a possible but the character has a twist.

And to be honest: How many "real" rpg-characters had or have a twist that feels just as fake as the one of Belkar? It's like some player said "I had fun with my character these last 30 sessions, but I want to try something new - without changing the character at all".
Belkar got "changed" before he got annoying and lame and that's very good.

Bibliomancer
2009-11-01, 10:29 AM
The Old Belkar still is the New Belkar. He's barely managing to *cough* hide what he really is.

But in general: I like the new twist to that character very much. "Shojo" really summed it up, Belkar was boring and done the way he has acted over the last years. It was nice, but it really, really grew old.
Now, the very same jokes as before a possible but the character has a twist.

And to be honest: How many "real" rpg-characters had or have a twist that feels just as fake as the one of Belkar? It's like some player said "I had fun with my character these last 30 sessions, but I want to try something new - without changing the character at all".
Belkar got "changed" before he got annoying and lame and that's very good.

And now, the New and Improved Belkar (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0682.html) can fulfill all requests! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0676.html)

The ways that he attempts to help are very interesting. It makes you wonder just what his intelligence score is.

Ancalagon
2009-11-01, 11:38 AM
The ways that he attempts to help are very interesting. It makes you wonder just what his intelligence score is.

I gave up "wondering" about that a long time ago. ;)

But I agree to you it's much more interesting now...

Yora
2009-11-01, 12:09 PM
Why does everyone make such a fuss about the Oracle sying that Belkar will die?
It's a comic that makes fun of D&D cliches, there's no reason to believe that Belker will be removed from the series at any point.

Linkavitch
2009-11-01, 12:50 PM
I like them both equally, for different ways. Old Belkar was psycotic and hilarious that way, but the new one is just as good.

Kish
2009-11-01, 01:11 PM
It's a comic that makes fun of D&D cliches, there's no reason to believe that Belker will be removed from the series at any point.
Would you like to make a ten-gold wager...?

(Prophecies aren't a D&D cliche.)

Oh, and I agree with the people who have said, "There's a difference?"

Ancalagon
2009-11-01, 01:31 PM

Hum... but there's no reason to assume Belkar won't be "removed" near the end of the comic?
A: You have lots of reason to assume he'll die. Permanently. (Like... it was clearly stated)
B: You have no real ingame reason to assume he won't die.

Check if A or B is more likely to happen.

Trixie
2009-11-05, 09:35 AM
I donąt know. The new one seems louder and ruder for some reason.

HealthKit
2009-11-05, 11:06 AM

Neither.
The fact of the matter is he hasn't really changed.
He still comes off as being played by the most annoying 13 year old you could ever meet.

Some people can find the humor in it, but I can't.

Atreides
2009-11-05, 11:51 AM
A lot of hate for a simple character. I never understood why some people are always expecting character development out of every single character in any story. There certainly are a number of people who go through life never changing their wild perceptions on life, even if they had, say, a "life changing experience."

I'm reminded of Gaius Baltar from the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica. Baltar goes through a seemingly number of "life changing experiences," but his character roughly remains the same. Still squandering over his own life, still pandering over his own goals of power, still lying through the grit of his teeth...and it's what made him such a damn good character. Despite everyone else "progressing" with their characters, Baltar remains firm in what makes his character. I find this to be no different than Belkar (which is probably why I don't get worked up on whether or not he's a "one-dimensional character" or not).

Mc. Lovin'
2009-11-05, 01:06 PM
Old, I hate how every time a joke happens that involves him in the comic now it needs him to explain he's faking good oh but then he's evil. Just annoying

Kaytara
2009-11-05, 01:23 PM
Old, I hate how every time a joke happens that involves him in the comic now it needs him to explain he's faking good oh but then he's evil. Just annoying

Punctuation is good for you, young one. :) It keeps the rest of us from clobbering you over the head. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I suspect the fact that he's suddenly in the spotlight of quite many comics to be tied to the idea of him dying quite soon. If you hate Belkar, this should probably comfort you.

A lot of hate for a simple character. I never understood why some people are always expecting character development out of every single character in any story. There certainly are a number of people who go through life never changing their wild perceptions on life, even if they had, say, a "life changing experience."

Well said. I disagree with complaints that, say, Durkon, V and Belkar stayed static and unchanging for most of the strip up till now while Roy and Haley and Elan got development. It's all in due time, the way I see it, and some character development is more major than the other.

Niknokitueu
2009-11-06, 09:54 AM
And now, the New and Improved Belkar (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0682.html) can fulfill all requests! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0676.html)

He actually has a decent intelligence, as reflected in his ability to come up with ideas on what to do.
What he lacks is any demonstrable wisdom, which is what you use to tell the difference between a reasonaby decent idea and one that will have serious drawbacks.

To my mind, he has sufficiently demonstrated how a chaotic Evil character with very low wisdom would attempt to hide his evilness behind a facade of 'doing good'. ie faking 'turning over a new leaf'.

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Omergideon
2009-11-06, 07:32 PM
Well I "hate" Belkar because he is the kind of person I hate, so I do not like him in that sense regardless of old or new.

However as a character the new one has some level of interest. The old Belkar of "stab it, kill it, stupid evil act" fame was rarely funny or dramatic. It was only in his interactions with Miko (sometimes) and V that I found him interesting at all. Mostly I just found the character repetitive and lacking depth. Now he has some. Not much but some.

So new Belkar for me. Without doubt.