PDA

View Full Version : Stat out this monster

Ashtagon
2009-10-31, 02:43 AM
Apparently, it's a bearsharktopus.

http://www.craphound.com/images/bearsharktopus-30363-1253244193-27.jpg

imp_fireball
2009-10-31, 04:15 AM
Ok so... bear? High CON, high hp. Decent natural armor.

Natural weapons? Two tentacles, and bite. Do tentacles have reach? Let's give em' reach, so that's like 15ft. reach (size large creature). Also improved grab, since that's what tentacles are for, otherwise they can't do much else.

Does being a shark give it swim speed? Maybe minor swim speed (no actual fins, but swimming is probably instinctual). Also, swallow whole, just cause it looks like it has the desire to FEED.

Right now, that looks like about CR 5, slightly higher HD than a grizzly and stronger than a tiger (CR 4) but not a dire bear.

Done bitch.

Edwin
2009-10-31, 04:18 AM
Bearsharktopus
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 8d10+40 (84hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 ft., 20 ft. swim
Armor Class: 17 (+5 natural, +2 dex)
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+17
Attack: Bite +13 (2d6+5), tentacle +11 x2 (1d8+5)
Full Attack: Bite +13 (2d6+5), tentacle +11 x2 (1d8+5)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./ 5 ft. (10 ft. tentacles)
Saves: +11 fort, +7 ref, +2 will
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 14, Con 20, Int 3, Wis 11, Cha 9
Skills: +4 spot, +4 listen
Feats: Multi-attack, power attack, improved natural attack (Tentacle)

Improve Grab: to use this attack, the Bearsharktopus must hit with its tentacle attack, it can then start a grapple as a free action, without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Underwater Breath: the Bearsharktopus can breathe underwater.

Swallow Whole: if the Bearsharktopus succeeds in a grapple, it may shallow its target by making another grapple check. If successful, the creature is swallowed whole, and takes 1d8+5 crushing damage and 1d8+5 acid damage each round. A swallowed creature may attempt to slash its way out the Bearsharktopus, by attack it's digestive tract (AC 20, hp 25). Doing so frees the swallowed creature, though any other swallowed creatures must cut their own way out.

A Bearsharktopus stomach can hold up to one medium, two small, four tiny or smaller creatures.

Something along those lines? :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Added underwater breath, 'cause, you know, it's got a shark head..

Added Imp's suggestions in.

Chrono22
2009-10-31, 04:21 AM
Now do it in fourth edition :smallwink:

Edwin
2009-10-31, 04:25 AM

I suck at 4e, so that would inevitably end in disaster. :smallfrown:

imp_fireball
2009-10-31, 11:54 PM
Bearsharktopus
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 8d10+40 (80hp)
Speed: 40 ft., 20 ft. swim
Armor Class: 17 (+5 natural, +2 dex)
Attack: Bite +13 (2d6+5), tentacle +11 x2 (1d8+5)
Full Attack: Bite +13 (2d6+5), tentacle +11 x2 (1d8+5)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./ 5 ft. (10 ft. tentacles)
Saves: +11 fort, +7 ref, +2 will
Skills: +4 spot, +4 listen

Improve Grab: to use this attack, the Bearsharktopus must hit with its tentacle attack, it can then start a grapple as a free action, without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Underwater Breath: the Bearsharktopus can breathe underwater.

Something along those lines? :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Added underwater breath, 'cause, you know, it's got a shark head..

Also, it should probably have more strength since it's a fuggin' bear (just a little more, like +6). Also, should be 84 hp, not 80 (averages).

And you forgot swallow whole! :smallfrown:

Edwin
2009-11-01, 09:45 AM
Also, it should probably have more strength since it's a fuggin' bear (just a little more, like +6). Also, should be 84 hp, not 80 (averages).

And you forgot swallow whole! :smallfrown:

Indeed, except it has squid arms. Squids are strong, but not as strong as bears. (At least not in DnD, I think.)

Yeah, I know, I just took half instead of average, because it was quicker to calculate. :smalltongue: I'm lazy.

As for the shallow whole, I didn't notice you wanted that. I'll edit it in.

hamishspence
2009-11-01, 09:48 AM
I wonder if it would work out as a Demon closely related to Demogorgon (maybe one of his creations)?

It certainly looks Demogorgon-ish.

Edwin
2009-11-01, 09:57 AM
I wonder if it would work out as a Demon closely related to Demogorgon (maybe one of his creations)?

It certainly looks Demogorgon-ish.

Increase it's HD by 10, give it the Fiendish template and you got yourself a minor demon prince I would say :smallbiggrin:

deuxhero
2009-11-01, 10:19 AM

Bearsharktopus lore

DC 15:Bearsharktopus are bears with tentacles replacing their upper claws and a sharks head.
DC 20:Bearsharktopus attack with their natural weapons, including bites and tentacles.
DC 25:A Bearsharktopus can breath underwater.

(Did they ever do anything about "Bear lore"?)

Edwin
2009-11-01, 10:21 AM
DC 30: A bearsharktopus powerful shark jaws can shallow its victims whole, saving the feast for later, as it slowly digests the shallowed.

Perhaps? :smallsmile:

Debihuman
2009-11-01, 10:45 AM
Lore checks start at 10 + hit dice and increase by 5 each level. So the bearsharktopus should have Lore at 18, 23, 28, etc.

Also, it has 11 skill points to start with.

it is "Swallow Whole" not "Shallow Whole"

it is missing special abilities and special attacks in the stat block.

Special abilities include darkvision 60 ft. and low-light vision (from the Magical Beast subtype) and it should also include water breathing which is an extraordinary ability. It probably shouldn't have blindsense.

Can it bite and use its tentacles at the same time? If so, there should be an "and" between attacks. It looks like it should have 2 tentacle attacks for its Full Attack.

Bearsharktopus
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 8d10+40 (84 hp)
Speed: 40 ft., Swim 20 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (+5 natural, +2 Dex), Touch 12, Flat-footed 15
Attack: Bite +13 melee (2d6+5) or tentacle +11 melee (1d8+5)
Full Attack: Bite +13 (2d6+5) and 2 tentacles +11 melee (1d8+5)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with tentacles)
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Swallow whole
Special Abilities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, keen scent, water breathing
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +7, Will +2
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +5, Swim +13
Environment: Near Freshwater Rivers
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 6

These omnivorous predators are aggressive and liable to make unprovoked attacks against anything that approaches them. They rarely exceed 12 feet in length and can weigh up to 2000 lbs.

Combat

The bearsharktopus has the ferocity of both a bear and a shark. They prefer to hunt near freshwater rivers but can eat almost anything.

Improve Grab (Ex): To use this attack, the bearsharktopus must hit with its tentacle attack, it can then start a grapple as a free action, without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Keen Scent (Ex): A bearsharktopus can notice creatures by scent in a 180-foot radius and detect blood in the water at ranges of up to a mile.

Swallow Whole (Ex): If the bearsharktopus succeeds in a grapple, it may swallow its target by making another grapple check. If successful, the creature is swallowed whole, and takes 1d8+5 points of crushing damage and 1d8+5 points of acid damage each round. A swallowed creature may attempt to slash its way out the Bearsharktopus, by attack its digestive tract (AC 20, hp 25). Doing so frees the swallowed creature, though any other swallowed creatures must cut their own way out.

A bearsharktopus stomach can hold up to one medium, two small, four tiny or smaller creatures

Water Breathing (Ex): The bearsharktopus can breathe underwater indefinitely.

Skills: A bearsharktopus has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

Debby

deuxhero
2009-11-01, 11:45 AM
Lore checks start at 10 + hit dice and increase by 5 each level. So the bearsharktopus should have Lore at 18, 23, 28, etc.

It was a gag on "bear lore", I know very little on 4e rules.