PDA

View Full Version : The Animal Lords

Eldan
2009-10-31, 09:38 AM
Have the old Planescape Animal Lords ever been updated to third edition somewhere? I'd need the stats for the catlord and the hawklord, especially.

bosssmiley
2009-10-31, 09:56 AM
Other than the downright bizarre write-up the Greyhawk Cat Lord had in the ELH, not AFAIK.
They'd probably by best modelled as high-level lycanthropes with Divine Rank 0 and handwaved absolute mastery of their animal type.

TheSteelRat
2009-10-31, 10:22 AM
Have the old Planescape Animal Lords ever been updated to third edition somewhere? I'd need the stats for the catlord and the hawklord, especially.

The only Animal Lords I'm familiar is the prestige class found in Complete Ad. Multiple types (Ape, Bear, Bird, Cat, Horse, Shark, Snake, and Wolf)

Eldan
2009-10-31, 10:29 AM
They could make a nice base for what I mean, but I'm actually talking about the quasi-divine entities from AD&D planescape.
Very well, then. DR0 lycanthropes is a good start, yes. Weretiger for the cat lord, probably, otherwise it's rather unimpressive. On the other hand, I most likely won't need combat stats.

Akal Saris
2009-10-31, 10:32 AM
As mentioned, the Catlord in the ELH. I came across it yesterday while trying to figure out the ELH, and couldn't figure out who or what it was supposed to be :P

Eldan
2009-10-31, 10:39 AM
They are... well, not that easy to explain. Quasi-divine upper-planar entities who represent an animal type, but can also assume a humanoid form. They usually keep their chosen animal save and fight for their interest. That's why you never kick a sigilian cat, or you might have a legendary lion knocking on the door three days later.

Edit: seems he's not in the SRD, though.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-10-31, 12:04 PM
theres the various beast lords in exalted deeds. . . Talsid and the five companions . . . you've got lion, bird, ram, horse, wolf, and bear. . . thats the closest i can think of. . . you might be able to refluff them though

Eldan
2009-10-31, 01:03 PM
Hmm. The companions are different creatures... more celestial powers, less primal beast spirits. But still, good basis for statting. Thanks, I didn't think of that.

Still. Weretiger Beastlord, modified from the one in CW to include cats, should work fine. A few rogue levels too, just to make sure it's sneaky enough, and we should be fine. Perhaps a level of shapeshifter druid with some strange variant to assume a normal tiny cat form.

Cieyrin
2009-10-31, 01:50 PM
Hmm. The companions are different creatures... more celestial powers, less primal beast spirits. But still, good basis for statting. Thanks, I didn't think of that.

Still. Weretiger Beastlord, modified from the one in CW to include cats, should work fine. A few rogue levels too, just to make sure it's sneaky enough, and we should be fine. Perhaps a level of shapeshifter druid with some strange variant to assume a normal tiny cat form.

You could just start as a Tibbit and go from there. They're catweres, so cats that become human. For other forms, I'd look at the Hengeyokai from Oriental Adventures.

Eldan
2009-10-31, 01:55 PM
Actually, I could try and make an animal lord template... that could work.

Iamyourking
2009-11-01, 09:02 AM
Do you really want your legendary Animal Lords to be based off the bunch of low to mid 20s weaklings from the BoED? Maybe use those as the most preliminary of bases, but they should probably be somewhere in the high 30s at lowest and rank 10-12 Cosmic Entities based on your descriptions.

Eldan
2009-11-01, 09:27 AM
They weren't that awesome in the old books... worth 18'000 XP in AD&D, though I have no idea what CR that translates to.
Their spell-likes... antimagic shell, planeshift, teleport, charm person, compulsion-immunity, can never be surprised...
Nothing really epic. They just command all the animals of their kind.

Yora
2009-11-01, 09:38 AM
I think Pit Fiends were 18,000 XP and Balors 25,000 XP.

I'd go with a 20 HD were-leopard and make all the humanoid HD into outsider HD. Then add some special abilities for fluff, like controlling other animals of its type and shapechaging into different sizes.

Edwin
2009-11-01, 10:36 AM
Couldn't you just homebrew them using basic monster HD, slap on the appropriate SLA's, give them the Alternate Form ability, like the ones Dragon's have, and call it a day?

It's pretty simple, really, although it does require a bunch of work, which you may not be out to contribute, in which case what I'm proposing is basically useless. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2009-11-01, 11:08 AM
I would really prefer if I could just slap a few templates together :smallbiggrin:

Though Wereleopard with outsider HD and a few rogue/druid levels is a good start. Probably add a few custom abilities too, but that's about it.

What should I take for the hawklord? Giant eagle, or is there something more giant-hawk-ish?

Zaydos
2009-11-01, 11:28 AM
Dire hawk from Races of the Wild?

Eldan
2009-11-01, 11:29 AM
Ooh. Good one. Needs a few more HD to be viable at higher levels, but still nice.

Rappy
2009-11-01, 03:10 PM
Like so many older edition creatures, the Tome of Horrors has what you're looking for. Sadly, it only has stats for the cat lord and mouse lord.

EDIT: There's also the Beast Lord template from the Book of Templates Deluxe 3.5 Edition, but it can only be applied to creatures size Large or larger and with a hefty weight of hit dice.