PDA

View Full Version : Ways to get Spell Immunity

BenTheJester
2009-10-31, 09:52 AM
I'm looking for ways to get Spell Immunity(other than being a golem), anything's good as long as it's not temporary.

Starbuck_II
2009-10-31, 09:54 AM
I'm looking for ways to get Spell Immunity(other than being a golem), anything's good as long as it's not temporary.

There is the spell Spell Immunity. But that is temporary.
Why can't it be temporary?

Emperor Tippy
2009-10-31, 10:19 AM

Hit epic. That's the only way to achieve total spell immunity that isn't temporary.

Beyond that, Temporal Stasis provides total immunity to everything except dispel magic and it's ilk.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-10-31, 10:51 AM
Play a Rakasha, total inmunity to spells 8 level or lower

Emperor Tippy
2009-10-31, 11:25 AM

Nope, only SR: Yes spells.

If you just want immunity to SR: Yes, just Shapechange into a Golem (Shadesteel Golems are the best).

The only way to get flat out immunity it with the Ward seed in epic casting, and even that can fall to an Epic Dispel with a higher casterlevel.

AmberVael
2009-10-31, 11:30 AM
Isn't there some Warforged PrC that allows you access to the Golem spell immunity thing?

Sinfire Titan
2009-10-31, 01:43 PM
Incarnate 16 gets the Heart Chakra, which allows you to bind the Spellward Shirt. This gives immunity to 4 spells of 6th level or lower, your choice, every 24 hours. It also provides you with the highest possible spell resistance that doesn't need spellcasting to obtain (41 at 20th level).

Totally Guy
2009-10-31, 02:39 PM
I was trying to think of a way of converting a character I'd made in another system into D&D. I hit the same problem. My magic proof idiot just can't exist.

How about a permanent antimagic fields= and proficiency with a rod of cancellation. :p

Illiterate Scribe
2009-10-31, 02:50 PM
How about a permanent antimagic fields= and proficiency with a rod of cancellation. :p

Stick that on a monk, and you have possibly the best character ever.

Totally Guy
2009-10-31, 02:55 PM
Stick that on a monk, and you have possibly the best character ever.

THe burning wheel character I'd made was kind of a monk. The friar kind. And a eunuch.

Moriato
2009-10-31, 03:03 PM

Nope, that was 3.0

In 3.5 they just have SR 27, which is extremely high for their CR, but not unbeatable.

Prak
2009-10-31, 03:39 PM
why not Golem? You could play an awakened flesh golem, then you have magic immunity and are playing Adam for all intents and purposes...

Doc Roc
2009-10-31, 03:39 PM
Half Golem Template. May not be permissible for PCs. Ask your GM.

Teron
2009-10-31, 05:26 PM
Will-o'-wisps are immune to every spell that allow SR except magic missile and maze, but they're not really viable as PCs, given that they can't wear or manipulate items and would have a prohibitively high ECL due to cruddy aberration hit dice even if your DM is nice enough to give it +0 LA. The only remotely feasible build I can think of is an ur-priest with a lot of custom magic items.

Darrin
2009-10-31, 10:24 PM

Do you mean Immunity to Magic or Spell Immunity, the 4th level Cleric spell? Are you trying to become immune to all spells, or one specific spell?

Some things to consider:

Ring of Spell Battle + Spell Storing item or Glyph Seal. 1/day, redirect any spell into your storing item.

Rod of Absorption would work for single-target spells or rays.

Spellblade (PGtF, +6000 GP) offers some amazing protection from a single spell, so long as it isn't an area-effect. There's no level limit like with Spell Immunity, and you can redirect it back at the caster on the next round.

Scarab of Protection (DMG, 38000 GP) + Dazzyx's Vest (DMGII, 25000 GP) gives you SR 25.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-31, 10:47 PM
Eh. . .I don't think it's possible in 3.5 without being tediously cheesy in the process. A lot of the nastiest effects in the game come from spells, so a PC having immunity to spells is simply a huge advantage.

Sharkman1231
2009-11-01, 12:38 AM
why not Golem? You could play an awakened flesh golem, then you have magic immunity and are playing Adam for all intents and purposes...

Doesn't awaken not work on golems because they are IMMUNE TO MAGIC????

Prak
2009-11-01, 12:49 AM
Doesn't awaken not work on golems because they are IMMUNE TO MAGIC????

there's specifically an awaken construct spell, if it doesn't override the golem's magic immunity, someone dropped the ball.

Edit: *checks the spell*

...someone dropped the ball...

Sharkman1231
2009-11-01, 12:51 AM
there's specifically an awaken construct spell, if it doesn't override the golem's magic immunity, someone dropped the ball.

Okay then...
For a second there I thought "...WHAT?!?!?"

Prak
2009-11-01, 12:52 AM
well, no, you were right.... it doesn't specifically override the golem's immunity, and it's subject to SR...

so, like I said, someone dropped the ball...

Sharkman1231
2009-11-01, 12:56 AM
well, no, you were right.... it doesn't specifically override the golem's immunity, and it's subject to SR...

so, like I said, someone dropped the ball...

Ah well.
Houserule in 5,4,3...

Prak
2009-11-01, 01:22 AM
precisely. The funny thing is that Incarnate Construct has the same issue.

Doc Roc
2009-11-01, 02:00 AM
Will-o'-wisps are immune to every spell that allow SR except magic missile and maze, but they're not really viable as PCs, given that they can't wear or manipulate items and would have a prohibitively high ECL due to cruddy aberration hit dice even if your DM is nice enough to give it +0 LA. The only remotely feasible build I can think of is an ur-priest with a lot of custom magic items.

This is false. I would like to introduce you to my friend, Enhance Wildshape, from the spell compendium. I hear gaining EX abilities is pretty cool, neh?
Pair it off with Aberration Wildshape from lords of madness, and you are set. This combo meal is one of many menu options that use these ingredients, if you see where this over-extended metaphor is headed.

Repeat after me:
Druids are a smoking hole in the fabric of the game.

Adumbration
2009-11-01, 02:04 AM
This is false. I would like to introduce you to my friend, Enhance Wildshape, from the spell compendium. I hear gaining EX abilities is pretty cool, neh?
Pair it off with Aberration Wildshape from lords of madness, and you are set. This combo meal is one of many menu options that use these ingredients, if you see where this over-extended metaphor is headed.

Repeat after me:

Alternatively you can do it with Master of Many forms 7.

Teron
2009-11-01, 02:46 AM
Ah, sorry. I don't have the Spell Compendium, or many books, for that matter.

Repeat after me:
Yeah, I should probably have just assumed they could pull it off somehow.

oxinabox
2009-11-01, 06:21 AM

Repeat after me:

Is this part of The Artificer, that was the best thing, til punpun came along?
I recall something about the "Anything you can do I can do better!" artificer build...:smallconfused:

on that note:
I have a brilliant plane that involves a divine minion 1/ wzard 1/ master of forms, with a viper familiar...

Thing is, if the limit as optimation tends towards infinite, character tends towards the *shudder* lvl1 punpun.*

anything is possible in dnd, bloody punpun proves it.

:smallsigh:*the one that works by having an stupidly high Knowledge Religion, to summon pazuzu...:smallsigh:

Jothki
2009-11-01, 05:44 PM
Does emanating Anitmagic Field count? I think you can do that with an epic feat.

mostlyharmful
2009-11-01, 06:00 PM

Edit: *checks the spell*

...someone dropped the ball...

Golems are not the only kind of construct. You can now give your animated table the IQ it needs to learn esperanto if you want to... not saying it's useful but it does have uses..... :smallamused:

Prak
2009-11-01, 06:12 PM
Golems are not the only kind of construct. You can now give your animated table the IQ it needs to learn esperanto if you want to... not saying it's useful but it does have uses..... :smallamused:

actually, it only works on permanent constructs.

However, Incarnate Construct seems custom made for golems, and also lacks the over ride.

mostlyharmful
2009-11-01, 06:13 PM
actually, it only works on permanent constructs.

However, Incarnate Construct seems custom made for golems, and also lacks the over ride.

If only there were a way of making it permenant. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm)

Incarnate Construct I got nothing for though.

Doc Roc
2009-11-01, 07:12 PM
Is this part of The Artificer, that was the best thing, til punpun came along?
I recall something about the "Anything you can do I can do better!" artificer build...:smallconfused:

on that note:
I have a brilliant plane that involves a divine minion 1/ wzard 1/ master of forms, with a viper familiar...

Thing is, if the limit as optimation tends towards infinite, character tends towards the *shudder* lvl1 punpun.*

anything is possible in dnd, bloody punpun proves it.

:smallsigh:*the one that works by having an stupidly high Knowledge Religion, to summon pazuzu...:smallsigh:

This only works in a continuity that contains a Pazuzu. A number of the published settings technically do not.

Prak
2009-11-01, 07:55 PM
If only there were a way of making it permenant. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm)

Incarnate Construct I got nothing for though.

didn't know that Permanency worked on Animate Objects, but I also didn't check.

In my mind golems are what Awaken and Incarnate Construct exist for, so I'd house rule it.

Mooch
2009-11-01, 10:26 PM
I believe demilich has spell immunity except to something like 3 specific spells