PDA

View Full Version : All Things Legend of Zelda!

Kurien
2009-10-31, 10:28 AM
I've been debating whether or not to post this thread for a while now. So it's a discussion thread about an awesome series created by Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka (as if you didn't already know).

To start things off, let's talk about this image released by Nintendo of early concept art for the latest Zelda:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cc/The-legend-of-zelda-wii-E32009.jpg/422px-The-legend-of-zelda-wii-E32009.jpg
According to Wikipedia, some speculate the other character may be a personification of the Master Sword due to similarities in colour and design. This is given credence by the fact Link is only holding a shield. Is it's eyes closed or are those it's actual eyes?

Dienekes
2009-10-31, 10:32 AM
looks eyes closed to me.

And as for series with a gimmick you really can't get more so than LoZ, not that that's a bad thing mind. So I wouldn't at all doubt that this ones is Master Sword comes alive huzzah!

Domochevsky
2009-10-31, 11:09 AM
The art style looks pretty different from former LoZ, though. Reminds me of something else. :smallconfused:

Kurien
2009-10-31, 11:23 AM
I think it looks very similar to Twilight Princess Art.

By the way, what features would you like to see in future games. They could be features found in earlier games you would want to see done in the more advanced system. This is just an exercise in brainstorming of ideas, we wouldn't expect any to make it into the real thing.

One thing that could be added is a way to hone, sharpen your blade so that it does a bit more damage, similar to the Razor sword from Majora's Mask. Only you can do it yourself, perhaps in a microgame. You would need to buy things such as honing oil and a whetstone, and the added damage would last 100 swings (that connect with something).

Also, how would we go about creating a fan made game? Flash?

Dihan
2009-10-31, 11:44 AM
I hate the whole "girl = master sword" theory. You know what she looks similar too?

This:

http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/3/37/Fairyqueen.gif

Linkavitch
2009-10-31, 12:17 PM
^Who's that?

I think LoZ is pretty much brilliant. (As is evidenced by my Avvie) I've been wanting to get TP Since before I got my Wii, and now they're coming out with a new one! Ahh, slow down! *triggers hate mail from people who have been waiting for a new one for a while* I think it'd be cool if they did a story where somehow Link could talk to crafted objects. Which, come to think of it, might explain why the Master Sword is a living person now. It's not that It's alive, but Link can talk to it! Hmm...

Athaniar
2009-10-31, 12:34 PM
I am also a fan of the series, Majora's Mask being my favorite game. I've recently resumed playing Twilight Princess (after just playing through the starting area back in July), and it's quite good so far.

Ooh, the Fairy Queen. You're right, they are indeed very similar, especially the head, which is almost a perfect match.

Triaxx
2009-10-31, 12:44 PM
The fairy queen from Wind Waker is the photo.

Very interesting tidbit of information.

As for mechanics, I'd love to see some more areas where we get assistance from other characters. And some larger horseback areas. Particularly ones with enemies who don't default to arrows, which are somehow very hard to avoid.

Teron
2009-10-31, 05:38 PM
I like the games that let you time travel or otherwise switch between different versions of the world (time travel, dark world and so on). Even though such elements don't appear in every game, I consider them one of the defining features of the series as a whole, and I think we're due for a game that revisits the concept (Twilight Princess doesn't really count, since there's no switching back and forth between versions of the same area, just a one time change for each). I'd especially enjoy an emphasis on solving puzzles and quests by taking actions in one "world" to alter the other, preferrably working both ways (so time travel doesn't work, but it could involve parallel worlds or some such).

nooblade
2009-10-31, 06:27 PM
After being hugely disappointed by the story in OoT (although I will admit that the dungeons were more fun than in LttP), I don't see how people can say the same about Twilight Princess (which I watched an LP for instead of actually playing, kinda neat). The sequel-ish thing was awesome because it forced them to make up some new material for a setting that was really getting a bit stale, IMHO.

So... I thought the next one was supposed to be in a futuristic setting, what happened to that? Just a rumor?

Oregano
2009-10-31, 06:28 PM
The Legend of Zelda needs moar trains.:smalltongue:

Dihan
2009-10-31, 06:41 PM
So... I thought the next one was supposed to be in a futuristic setting, what happened to that? Just a rumor?

I'm pretty sure that was just an April Fools.

Seonor
2009-10-31, 08:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that was just an April Fools.

Or Beyond Good&Evil :smallbiggrin:
One of the best Zelda games without the name.

Dihan
2009-10-31, 08:08 PM
There was definitely an April Fools joke with a trailer showing fake concept art for a futuristic Zelda.

Zevox
2009-10-31, 08:32 PM
Well, predictably given I'm posting here, I'm a big fan of the series as well. Got into it with Ocarina of Time, and that and Twilight Princess are two of my favorite games of all time, probably the best of their genre IMO. Though I am perhaps different from other fans in that I find the 2D Zeldas to be significantly inferior to their 3D counterparts. Even the best 2D Zelda (which, in my opinion, is Oracle of Ages - and I've played all except the first two) still has a pretty big gap between it and the "worst" 3D Zelda (Majora's Mask) in my mind.

To start things off, let's talk about this image released by Nintendo of early concept art for the latest Zelda:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cc/The-legend-of-zelda-wii-E32009.jpg/422px-The-legend-of-zelda-wii-E32009.jpg
Kid kinda looks like a Zora to me for some reason. Though the fact that the image does not have Link wielding or wearing a sword is very striking, and seems to me to lend some credence to the possibility of the kid being related to the Master Sword (or a different blade Link will get in the new game).

By the way, what features would you like to see in future games. They could be features found in earlier games you would want to see done in the more advanced system. This is just an exercise in brainstorming of ideas, we wouldn't expect any to make it into the real thing.
I want to be able to turn into a Zora for underwater areas again :smallfrown: . That was the best feature of Majora's Mask, and no Zelda game has done water areas that well since. Though I must admit, Twilight Princess was a nice step up in that regard.

After being hugely disappointed by the story in OoT (although I will admit that the dungeons were more fun than in LttP), I don't see how people can say the same about Twilight Princess (which I watched an LP for instead of actually playing, kinda neat). The sequel-ish thing was awesome because it forced them to make up some new material for a setting that was really getting a bit stale, IMHO.
Oh, definitely - Twilight Princess was a huge step up in terms of story and characterization for the series. Though, ironically, the characterization pretty much all went to Midna and Zant, characters we are, sadly, not likely to see again :smallfrown: .

I'm actually of the opinion that TP might have been even better if it simply had not been a Zelda game at all. Think about it - the story already focuses on Midna and Zant's conflict for the most part, with Zelda being almost totally irrelevant to it, Link involved only in that he is doing Midna's work for her, and Ganondorf tossed in at the end. Take the Zelda characters out, make Midna the main character, allow her to use her magical powers for combat rather than relying on someone else, expand the story to fill in those areas that were covered by the Zelda mythos with more new content... yeah, could've been great if you ask me.

Or Beyond Good&Evil :smallbiggrin:
One of the best Zelda games without the name.
*ROFL*
(This board needs a laughing smiley...)

Zevox

nooblade
2009-10-31, 09:47 PM
There was definitely an April Fools joke with a trailer showing fake concept art for a futuristic Zelda.D'oh. I thought the futuristic thing was going to be awesome. :smallfrown:

Eh, they seem to be doing well on puzzles with the semi-medieval technology I guess.

Waggy
2009-11-01, 06:39 AM
The colouring of the fairy, the gem on its chest and position in relation to Link's back definitely suggest that it's in some way connected to the Master Sword. I think they will be trying to replicate the success they had with Midna by making this fairy/personification of the Master Sword into his companion/adviser character for the new game.

I also like how it resembles the Fairy Queen from Wind Waker as has been pointed out, it gives it a nice sense of visual continuity. Personally I'm aprehensive about a Wii Zelda; for me the Gamecube Twilight Princess was the better one, so I hope its playable using the Wii 'classic controller' or whatever its called because I utterly despised the gameplay with the Wiimote.

What do you think of the new DS Zelda? I still can't get over "Trains! WTF!" thing, it just seems like too much of a departure. Do we know if its the same or a different Link from the one in Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass?

Kurien
2009-11-01, 07:25 AM
Spirit Tracks is supposed to take place 100 years after Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass. So no, it's probably not the same Link.

Back to the picture: I also notice the lines on her legs, which remind me of the ribbon like coverings on the Master Sword's hilt (they are the same colour as well). I can't imagine them to be fishnet stockings :smalleek:.

Dihan
2009-11-01, 07:35 AM
The Fairy Queen obviously hit puberty so that's why she's wearing fishnet stockings. :smalltongue:

Oregano
2009-11-01, 07:55 AM
What do you think of the new DS Zelda? I still can't get over "Trains! WTF!" thing, it just seems like too much of a departure.

Yeh, Trains are so much more awesome than the usual Legend of Zelda stuff.:smallwink:

Zelda Wii is being made with the Wii motionplus in mind so I doubt Classic Controller will be an option and it'll be much more reliant on your actual movements. Miyamoto mentioned that Wii Sports Resort would show what it would be like and it works awesome, travelling by boat could be great.

Green-Shirt Q
2009-11-01, 08:09 AM
Um, obviously I'm probably going to get a tainted answer by Zelda fans, but this still seems like the best place to ask...

I've never really gotten into the Zelda series. Don't ask me why. I vaugely remember renting one game when I was a little kid (can't remember which one, but it was for the N64), being stuck in a cave and being unable to leave due to my own childish stupidity. Then the game was returned apperently.

Either way, I figured I just might give this series another chance. Maybe put the most recent Wii game on my Christmas wish list. But I still have some questions to ask:

1. What genre of game is this?
2. What's the gameplay like (okay, I realize that so far I probably could've just looked it up on Wikipedia, but bear with me)?
3. Would I, as a REALLY impatient hyperactive teenager, be able to play it without being bored to death?
4. Do I need to know the entire story before playing? There have been, like, 80 of these %$#@&ing games already!
5. Is there a lot of story to these games (which sounds kinda odd, since the premises of these games sound very similar to the premises of the Mario games, made by the same guys).
6. Would they be fun to a guy like me? A guy who likes instant action with a cartoony silliness?

Kurien
2009-11-01, 08:54 AM
I won't answer all of these...

2. What's the gameplay like (okay, I realize that so far I probably could've just looked it up on Wikipedia, but bear with me)?
3. Would I, as a REALLY impatient hyperactive teenager, be able to play it without being bored to death?
4. Do I need to know the entire story before playing? There have been, like, 80 of these %$#@&ing games already!
5. Is there a lot of story to these games (which sounds kinda odd, since the premises of these games sound very similar to the premises of the Mario games, made by the same guys).
6. Would they be fun to a guy like me? A guy who likes instant action with a cartoony silliness?

1. The Zelda series is predominantly action adventure.

2. The main gameplay involves exploring, solving puzzles that require interaction with the environment and combat with a diverse set of monsters. Some monsters with varying designs are used in most games such as the Keese (bat) and Darknut (Large armoured warrior with BFS).

3. I'm also an impatient teenager but had few problems with Twilight Princess. A problem with some of the older games such as Majora's Mask is adding greater difficulty in the form of hard to beat minigames. These minigames are not necessary but are required for some goodies and upgrades and 100% completion. I suck at the shooting gallery (MM) and Star Minigame! (TP). Never beat them.

4. There are 14 canonical games (if you count the Oracle games as separate) that have been released. 15 when Spirit Tracks comes out. Many of them are for the handheld Gameboys and DSs. Generally, each game has a self contained story that does not require knowledge from previous games. I was able to play Majora's Mask without first playing Ocarina of Time. It's like the Discworld Series-- you can raed them in any order, even Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass (I never finished WW but have started PH)

For myself, I actually have yet to play through an entire Zelda Game from start to finish because I only have a chance to play them at friend's houses. I did borrow a Gamecube and Twilight Princess from a friend and finished it, but started off after Goron Mines.

I've played the Collectors' Edition for the Gamecube in which I tried the first and second games. Those archaic first games were truly Nintendo hard, I hardly got past the first few screens befire dying.

I've played Majora's Mask. I got to just before the third dungeon/temple.

I've played Wind Waker. I've made quite a bit of progress in this game but won't pretend to have even started the Gallery/figurine sidequest.

Lastly, I've played Phantom Hourglass. Some progress has been made in this game but with four hearts I can't be that far into it.

So, which of the games have other people played?

Linkavitch
2009-11-01, 09:05 AM
.5 There is a lot f story to the games, but it's all convoluted with Nintendo's policy of Gameplay>Game's Story>Series Story. There are so many different timelines and stuff...it'll take a while before someone figures out something that works right.

.6 Hmm, cartoony silliness...You'd probably want Wind waker or Phantom Hourglass, 'cuz i can't see Twilight Princess being catroony in any way.

Linkavitch
2009-11-01, 09:07 AM
I have played until you meet Zelda in Wolf Form in TP, at a friends house.

I have OoT on VC, have beat it.

I have Phantom Hourglass, beat it many times.

Really want to get the other ones. Ahh!

Waggy
2009-11-01, 10:54 AM
Yeh, Trains are so much more awesome than the usual Legend of Zelda stuff.:smallwink:

Zelda Wii is being made with the Wii motionplus in mind so I doubt Classic Controller will be an option and it'll be much more reliant on your actual movements. Miyamoto mentioned that Wii Sports Resort would show what it would be like and it works awesome, travelling by boat could be great.

That has the potential to be so awesome, on the other hand if they mess it up it could be horrible. I'm a bit sketchy on the details of Wii motionplus though, would it mean say, you would be directly controlling the direction of Link's sword swings? If so that would be awesome, I'll still hold out hope on the classic controller being an option though (mostly becuase I'm still very fond of the control scheme they used for Ocarina of Time).

Zevox
2009-11-01, 11:12 AM
Action/Adventure.

Combat-wise, you play in real time (action game), fighting with a sword and shield, plus a ton of other items you pick up throughout the game. Every game, for instance, has a bow and arrow you acquire for ranged combat, just to name one. To name a couple other items from the most recent game, Twilight Princess, you have the Clawshot, which allows you to grapple onto specific sections of walls and ceilings from a distance as well as harm or stun enemies from a distance; a spiked ball on a chain which you twirl above your head then throw forward, good for smashing tough obstacles or particularly resilient enemies, if rather slow; and bombs, good for blowing holes in walls or hurting some enemies, and able to be combined with your bow & arrow so that you shoot exploding arrows.

Outside of combat, the games are principally exploration and puzzle-solving. Pushing blocks around, trying to find and step on or hit switches to open doors, figuring out how your latest new item interacts with various odd obstacles in the dungeon you're in, that sort of thing.

I'd imagine so, unless you're so impatient and hyperactive that nothing but constant action beat-em-ups amuses you.

No. There really is no "entire story" to the series, honestly. There have been numerous attempts by fans to fit the games together into a timeline or multiple timelines, but they're really pretty haphazard at best. The most solid connections between the games are Phantom Hourglass being a direct sequel to Wind Waker (for which you may indeed want to play Wind Waker first, although you could probably get by without it); and between Ocarina of Time and the other 3D games, and then only really in the sense that the others allude to Ocarina having been a past event in their world (and personally, for Twilight Princess, I find it best to ignore this, as there is too much of that game which simply does not mesh with the concept of it being set in Ocarina of Time's world).

For the most part, no. Most of them can be summed up with little more explanation than a Mario story. Ganondorf tries to/does conquer the land of Hyrule, probably kidnaps Princess Zelda, and Link has to defeat him and rescue her. Major exceptions are Majora's Mask, which does not involve Ganondorf or Zelda but still has a simple plot; Link's Awakening, where Link is stranded on an island and neither Zelda nor Ganondorf are involved; and Twilight Princess, which has a more complex plot, albeit still by no means on the level of an in-depth RPG or anything like that. The Gameboy Color Oracle games have slightly different plots as well, but only slightly.

Instant action? Probably. Cartoony silliness? Eh, maybe. Some of them have some of that, perhaps most notably Wind Waker, which does even have a cartoony art style - although it also suffers from the sailing aspect that slows down the action part, sometimes considerably.

So, which of the games have other people played?
Most of them.

Ocarina of Time and Ocarina of Time: Master Quest, more times than I can count. Awesome game.

Twilight Princess, beaten twice. Great game, just too easy.

Wind Waker, numerous times. Pretty good, a bit short.

Phantom Hourglass, once. My third favorite of the series, much to my surprise, behind only OoT and TP. Just a bit too easy - not as bad in that regard as TP, but also not as great a story as TP.

Majora's Mask, may times. Very good game, but too short, and didn't really like the story (though I do commend them for breaking from the usual mold with it). Also, as mentioned before, I miss swimming as a Zora :smallfrown: .

Oracle of Ages and Seasons, several times each. Ages is my favorite 2D Zelda due to the time-traveling aspect. Both are pretty good games, particularly as 2D Zeldas go.

Link's Awakening DX, several times. Good game, if fairly average among 2D Zeldas.

A Link to the Past, once. Decent game, but only average among the 2D Zeldas.

The Minish Cap, once. Okay game as a whole, but poor for the series, I'd say. Thoroughly forgettable.

The Four Swords (both the one included with the re-release of LttP and the GC one), partially through in both cases. Was not impressed, the only Zelda games I didn't really like.

Only two I haven't played yet are the first and second - the original Legend of Zelda and Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link. And I'm hoping to receive Spirit Tracks as a Christmas gift this year.

That has the potential to be so awesome, on the other hand if they mess it up it could be horrible. I'm a bit sketchy on the details of Wii motionplus though, would it mean say, you would be directly controlling the direction of Link's sword swings? If so that would be awesome, I'll still hold out hope on the classic controller being an option though (mostly becuase I'm still very fond of the control scheme they used for Ocarina of Time).
Wii Motion+ does indeed mean direct, 1:1 control of sword motions. That's what the add-on was designed to facilitate.

Zevox

Kurien
2009-11-01, 12:03 PM
So would we all agree that Twilight Princess is the easiest Zelda to date? One Zelda dedicated site said the reason it seemed easy is because veterans are used to the kind of puzzles it offers. It was the first game I played more than in passing, and even i felt it seemed kinda easy. Although there was that one time when I was wearing the Zora armour. It works great in water-- not so much against flaming bulblin arrows.

I would like to play some of the older games such as Oracle of Seasons/Ages. What are the pros and cons of downloading an emulator? Do some contain malware? I don't know much about downloading things from the Internet.

Zevox
2009-11-01, 12:34 PM
So would we all agree that Twilight Princess is the easiest Zelda to date? One Zelda dedicated site said the reason it seemed easy is because veterans are used to the kind of puzzles it offers.
Oh, I'm not even really talking about the puzzles when I call it easy. I can take puzzles whether they're easy or hard with little complaint. It's the combat. Enemies do ridiculously little damage, so once you're past the earliest stages where you have only 3 or 4 hearts, you will practically never have to worry about dying, unless you get hit by fire or ice attacks while wearing the Zora Armor. One of the latest bosses in the game, the last true boss before the final dungeon, only does 1/4 of a heart in damage per attack during the hardest part of his fight. When you can have most of the game's maximum of 20 hearts by that point. It's that ridiculous.

There's also how easy it is to defeat the bosses regardless of how much damage they do. It took me literally under a minute to beat the first boss. The third boss doesn't even fight back after you get into the second part of the fight, and I was able to beat that in mere seconds. And even those bosses who have something resembling a challenge to them don't take many hits to defeat (usually 3 per form). And that's just the bosses - the regular enemies are, of course, even less of a challenge, except perhaps those warrior-types that started off as a miniboss in the sixth dungeon and later become a more common enemy in the last dungeon and that bonus dungeon.

Zevox

AstralFire
2009-11-01, 01:44 PM
That looks like the Queen of Fairies from Wind Waker...

Murdim
2009-11-01, 01:51 PM
No. There really is no "entire story" to the series, honestly. There have been numerous attempts by fans to fit the games together into a timeline or multiple timelines, but they're really pretty haphazard at best. The most solid connections between the games are Phantom Hourglass being a direct sequel to Wind Waker (for which you may indeed want to play Wind Waker first, although you could probably get by without it); and between Ocarina of Time and the other 3D games, and then only really in the sense that the others allude to Ocarina having been a past event in their world (and personally, for Twilight Princess, I find it best to ignore this, as there is too much of that game which simply does not mesh with the concept of it being set in Ocarina of Time's world).Actually, the only meaningful outline of the Zelda games is that until now, they have always worked two by two.

The Legend of Zelda and its official sequel, Link's Adventure.
A Link to the Past and its not-exactly-official-yet-obvious sequel, Link's Awakening.
Ocarina of Time and its official, most direct sequel, Majora's Mask.
Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons are each other's official sequel, depending on which one is played last.
The Wind Waker and its official sequel, Phantom Hourglass
The Minish Cap and its sort-of sequel, Four Swords Adventures.
Twilight Princess is still single for now, though probably not for long. And so will be Spirit Tracks.

The rules seems to be that :

_ Almost each pair of episodes has its own incarnation of the hero, Link, who lives through both adventures consecutively. The only exception is TMC/FSA, where the recurrent characters are the villain Vaati and the Four Sword.

_ Ganon/Ganondorf, Link's nemesis and the series' ultimate Big Bad, will always appear in one (and only one) of the two episodes, will continually threaten Princess Zelda's life, and will invariably end up as the final boss of this episode. In the other episode (usually the sequel, except for OoA/OoS and TMC/FSA), Ganon won't appear at all but could still be talked of, while Zelda may or may not be present.

Of course, it's still anecdotical at best and, as many people said before, you can play any Zelda game as a standalone adventure without any problem, sequel or not.

Triaxx
2009-11-01, 03:34 PM
Third boss? The Water Temple? It's not that he doesn't attack, he'll chew on Link but only if you end up in front and the fixed the swimming the point where that's all but impossible to have happen.

The fight I had the most problems with wasn't actually a boss, but the first encounter with 3 shadow beasts. They do a heart a hit when you have only 3 hearts to work with. Only place in the entire game I died.

And whatever timeline does exist is tenuous at best, incomplete and inconsistent at worst. Supposedly Nintendo has a master timeline, but I doubt it.

Wreckingrocc
2009-11-01, 05:50 PM
Twilight Princess' difficulty curve was god-awful. Even on hard mode (playing through the game without picking up heart pieces or using any health-or-damage boosting items in bottles), it's easily doable. The final boss does one fricking heart of damage with an easily dodge-able attack.
I hope they fix the difficulty on the new one, or at least have different combat difficulty modes... I also felt like the Twilight Princess' plot was lackluster and predictable at best. As for my own relationship with the difficulty, my only death was on the bridge with the bow against the moblin commander. I kept trying to kill him with the sword, not knowing they spontaneously changed the requirement to the bow. Past that, I never dropped below three under max health.

Ocarina of Time is totally overrated. It's definitely good, and I love the number of dungeons and content in the game, as well as the pacing, but it felt too relaxed and simple; nothing really stood out in the game.

Majora's Mask was by far my favorite. Although the bosses aren't the toughest, there are still a couple of moments where you feel close to death, and the time pressure definitely adds to gameplay. The goron and zora also have their own unique combat styles and gameplay (the deku is a bit lacking). My only problem was the pacing, which felt rather rushed with the time constraint; I didn't really feel any connection with the Dekus, Gorons, or, especially, Zora. Ikana wasn't bad. I think having you go through them multiple times using lasting equipment and information could've been cooler, had they done it right. There would've been more connection, plus the time travel would've felt badass.

Wind Waker comes in a close second. The pair dungeons (earth and wind) are probably the best Legend of Zelda dungeons to date. The overall gameplay is awesome, too, if you don't mind the sailing. The sidequests, too, are kickass.

The Oracles are my favorite 2D Zeldas. Ages was also my favorite of the two, though that was probably because it was mine; Seasons was my brothers'. I didn't actually beat Ganon until perhaps two years after getting the game... I got it when I was perhaps 8, too, so I was pretty bad at figuring things out. After I figured out how to beat the first boss I rushed through it :P

As a final note, that analogy was brilliant, Murdim. I wasn't so into it until the 'Ganon appears in one' thing. Simply awesome find.

Q: If you have a gamecube or Wii, start by borrowing a friends' or renting Wind Waker. It's probably got the best pacing and such, as well as simplicity with setup. If you like it, buy it (used, if you find it hard to find otherwise) and play it through. It's possibly the best easily accessible game at this point. Then just read reviews and such online for the others and work from there.

Geno9999
2009-11-01, 06:19 PM
Since some people discuss about what they like/don't like about the games, here's my ideal LoZ game:

Well thought-out, yet easy to use sword combat
Large, but easy to travel map
Satisfying alternate world (don't just mess up the hue, change the environment to being different yet eerily familiar, a la Link to the Past)
Early monsters hurt 1/4 heart, yet later bosses would easily eat 2-3 hearts per hit. (aka; make battles a slight challenge.)
Unique puzzles: like switching between worlds mid-dudgeon.
Make some of the equipment more useful outside of their original dudgeon.
Deeper characterizations of the world, Zelda, Ganon, and/or of Link
Make sure that Ganon isn't a last minute add-in but also make him a surprise villain. (somehow)

Mando Knight
2009-11-01, 06:28 PM
Make sure that Ganon isn't a last minute add-in but also make him a surprise villain. (somehow)

So you want them to plan out a Ganon-Hijacked (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HijackedByGanon) plot from the beginning?

Of course, it's Ganon. Saying that he's behind the plot is like saying Dr. Doom despises REED RICHAAAAARRDSSSSS!

Triaxx
2009-11-02, 06:28 AM
Some more Zelda-style minigames. An underwater maze like the one in the Water Temple in TP, but without the temple, perhaps even run by Zora.

Perhaps a Clawshot maze as well. Hang it over a lake so that if you hit a dead end, you just drop into the water.

And Goron bowling, just because it'd be awesome.

Linkavitch
2009-11-02, 12:20 PM
Unique puzzles: like switching between worlds mid-dudgeon.
Deeper characterizations of the world, Zelda, Ganon, and/or of Link

So, like the Spirit Temple in Ocarina?

And I agree, more characterization would be awesome.

You know what's kinda creepy? In the past of OoT, Darling says to Honey "Oh, you're more beautiful than Princess Zelda..." when Zelda is seven. years. old. Ewwww.

Murdim
2009-11-02, 01:56 PM
You know what's kinda creepy? In the past of OoT, Darling says to Honey "Oh, you're more beautiful than Princess Zelda..." when Zelda is seven. years. old. Ewwww.IIRC, she was about twelve, actually. Slightly older (and taller) than Link.

Still, ewwww.

Zeful
2009-11-02, 02:15 PM
I hate the whole "girl = master sword" theory. You know what she looks similar too?

This:

I'm not to fond of that theory either, I like to think that the new game will be Link fighting Ganon in the middle of the dungeon after getting the Master Sword with him some elaborate trick and breaking the legendary blade. Then the Queen of the faries shows up to call him an idiot, and now they have to make a new Master sword.

Wreckingrocc
2009-11-02, 04:53 PM
I'm not to fond of that theory either, I like to think that the new game will be Link fighting Ganon in the middle of the dungeon after getting the Master Sword with him some elaborate trick and breaking the legendary blade. Then the Queen of the faries shows up to call him an idiot, and now they have to make a new Master sword.Hey, better than having a living person.

I feel like TP is doing too much weird crap. I'd like to see one with transformations again, a crazy ridiculous difficulty curve, many, many puzzles, hookshots instead of clawshots, magic, and an original story with an original villain.

I feel like the wolf was a step in the right direction, but more on that would be cooler. Maybe Deku scrubs, Gorons, and Zoras next time. :smallsigh:

Linkavitch
2009-11-02, 06:10 PM
It'd be cool if Link could turn into an animal specifically suited to the environment of the Temple he's in(Water Temple, Alligator; Forest Temple, Monkey/Wolf, ect., ect.)

As for the game currently in the making, the control scheme should be something like: Wiimote, sword movements/controlling items(Like the sword does everything you do, with the power of the Motionplus, and you actually throw the boomarang, fire the hookshot, ect.) and the Nunchuk controls sheild/Character movements.

Zeful
2009-11-02, 06:30 PM
Hey, better than having a living person.

I feel like TP is doing too much weird crap. I'd like to see one with transformations again, a crazy ridiculous difficulty curve, many, many puzzles, hookshots instead of clawshots, magic, and an original story with an original villain.

I feel like the wolf was a step in the right direction, but more on that would be cooler. Maybe Deku scrubs, Gorons, and Zoras next time. :smallsigh:

So, Majora's Mask again? That doesn't sound too appealing to be honest, or even very original.

And to be honest the clawshot makes the most sense. Both the Hookshot and claw shot have enough torque to pull link in a specific direction very quickly, the hookshot is a rod with a hook on it, the torque that would be pulling on Link would be enough to pull it from his hand.

Zevox
2009-11-02, 07:33 PM
I feel like the wolf was a step in the right direction, but more on that would be cooler.
Blech, I disagree. That was one thing about TP I didn't particularly like, and consider it fortunate that it wasn't too widely used. Link turning into other things, in general, I'd consider a bad idea (Zoras aside).

Zevox

AstralFire
2009-11-02, 07:43 PM
Hey, better than having a living person.

Transformations only significantly feature in Majora's Mask prior to TP... (I will say that I feel Majora's Mask is the best game of the series, but part of that is because it deviated so much; repeating its exact deviations seems a bit of a weird idea.)

I'm hoping for more new stuff, myself. I loved Double Clawshot, I loved Deku/Goron/Zora, but yeah. I want to see more villains that aren't Ganon. Better characterization. Etc.

Kurien
2009-11-02, 07:46 PM
In later games the hookshot has a handle perpendicular to the direction the hooks shoots forth. Not just a rod with a grappling hook.

I liked transforming into a wolf in TP. It's how I fought Redead Knights. I would have used wolf form more often if it had moves such as the Ending Blow usable in wolf form. It would have made it a lot easier to finish off some of those more durable enemies like magenta Bokoblins.

Looking back, I enjoyed being an Unchosen One (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheUnchosenOne) in the Wind Waker. The Link from that game wasn't chosen by the gods to defeat Ganondorf. He was just kind of randomly picked by the King. He had to earn the right to wield the Master Sword and the Triforce of Courage wasn't just handed to him, he had to reassemble the thing. Eventually the gods had to acknowledge his efforts and name him the Hero of Winds. So yeah, the idea of proving the world of your courage and creating your own destiny really appeals to me. Hopefully one of the next games will incorporate this idea again.

Seraph
2009-11-02, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't mind a zelda game with a more fleshed-out magic system. maybe something where you make spells by connecting components, and you unlock the components as the game progresses? like say, you could have "Fire", Target", "Blade", "Infuse" as a few components, where "Infuse-Fire-Target" would be a fire spell, but "Infuse-Fire-Blade" would give you a flaming sword.

tribble
2009-11-02, 08:13 PM
By the way, what features would you like to see in future games.

Simpler graphics. I can't express how frustrating I found the overgrown graphics engine in TP. It took me about three times longer than necessary to solve the puzzles because I couldn't rutting see them past all the stranglingly overdone detail.

Wreckingrocc
2009-11-02, 08:33 PM
Is there no love for the goron? :(

And I think Difficulty is the main problem with TP; I bet I could've played it successfully one-handed...

The other crucial thing, though not as bad as difficulty, is useful items. I felt like Twilight Princess was just sword and shield combat with some bow and arrows thrown in... And it was really, really easy. The only enemies that required more were made blatantly obvious to the fact, in addition to the fact that they only fricking appeared in the dungeon you got the weapon. The gale boomerang, for example, was used on the spinning wind things in the forest temple and later when you return to the forest on the same objects, and that's it. Sure, you can beat the spinny-shield guys with it, but they can be taken out with the bow, too. The gale boomerang was just worthless in every regard, and you never had to use it again.

And that's just one of the items. Almost every item felt like it had the same problem. You'd think Nintendo would learn after three other 3D platforming Zelda games... I feel like some items in Wind Waker had the same problem, but it was nailed other than that; the weapons, at least, were used after the fricking dungeon they were picked up in. That game had the best item pacing and difficulty curve, though the feel of Majora's Mask appealed to me more.

As for Double Clawshot, it felt awesome when you first got it, but the more you used it the more you realized it was just a tool for transversing gaps. That's it. There's no creative use available; it would have been 1000 times better if you could lock one of the clawshots in a hook on your suit and put the other away, allowing you to pull out the bow and shoot the from a vantage point, or if you could throw magic from it, or throw the boomerang, or use your shield. I think the most fun part of the game for me was when I first got the bow and I made it moderately interesting by playing the game as a sort of shooter, walking around and staying in the zoomed in state.

All in all, Twilight Princess felt like Ocarina of Time - (Combat + Length)... I cleared through it in less than 20 hours, and felt no need to go back and clear anything else out.

AstralFire
2009-11-02, 08:35 PM
Simpler graphics. I can't express how frustrating I found the overgrown graphics engine in TP. It took me about three times longer than necessary to solve the puzzles because I couldn't rutting see them past all the stranglingly overdone detail.

If you mean the slow tendency where puzzles tend to be a little less obvious these days because everything's given good attention, I really enjoy that.

Wreckingrocc
2009-11-02, 08:38 PM
If you mean the slow tendency where puzzles tend to be a little less obvious these days because everything's given good attention, I really enjoy that....There were like three puzzles that I couldn't solve at all in that game. I had to look them up online and pound my head into the ground afterwards due to the sheer randomness of the tasks. How the f*ck are players supposed to come up with these random, off-the-wall, cartoonishly cheesy solutions? The first was in the town before I even got the sword and shield...

AstralFire
2009-11-02, 08:40 PM
...There were like three puzzles that I couldn't solve at all in that game. I had to look them up online and pound my head into the ground afterwards due to the sheer randomness of the tasks. How the f*ck are players supposed to come up with these random, off-the-wall, cartoonishly cheesy solutions? The first was in the town before I even got the sword and shield...

I don't think I had to look anything up for TP, and I am notoriously bad at video games that aren't turn-based. (A bad thing for me, as I don't like most turn-based games...) I... am not really sure what to tell you.

tribble
2009-11-02, 09:02 PM
If you mean the slow tendency where puzzles tend to be a little less obvious these days because everything's given good attention, I really enjoy that.

I don't mind detail until it gets to the point where I can't walk into a room and easily pick out the relevent stuff in the room. Twilight princess has reached this point as of the starting room.

Zevox
2009-11-02, 09:33 PM
The gale boomerang was just worthless in every regard, and you never had to use it again.
Actually, I found the gale boomerang quite useful for dealing with groups of small flying creatures, such as the bats that showed up in Kakariko Graveyard. Target a few of them at various points in the swarm and let it fly, and it gathered up a whole bunch right in front of you, perfect for cutting to ribbons with one swing of your sword.

Not to mention grabbing the odd item at a distance. Easier to use for that purpose than the clawshot.

Zevox

Wreckingrocc
2009-11-02, 11:15 PM
Eh. Keese were easy enough; even if they hit you, they did, what, 1/4 of a heart of damage? Just spin your blade and do a few lunges; they can easily get ground to pieces. Or just use the bow. You get plenty of arrows, what with all the grass and pots everywhere.

And the puzzles were like that weird thing where you have to get the rock or whatever and throw it at the bird... I don't really remember, since I played it like three years ago (wow, has it really been that long?) and haven't picked it up since... Never really saw much replay value in it aside from hard mode.

Now Wind Waker and Majora's Mask... Those are different stories :smallwink: Played through both of them in the past year. I guess that's about all I have to say about Twilight Princess, though... It really didn't fit the Legend of Zelda I knew and loved. The wolf parts were the highlight of the game; otherwise it's frustratingly annoying (Water temple, anyone?) or impossibly easy (Ganon, who is one of the only final bosses in any game I've smeared to a pulp on my first try).

Zevox
2009-11-02, 11:26 PM
Eh. Keese were easy enough; even if they hit you, they did, what, 1/4 of a heart of damage? Just spin your blade and do a few lunges; they can easily get ground to pieces. Or just use the bow. You get plenty of arrows, what with all the grass and pots everywhere.
Still a nice use for the boomerang, though. Shortens the time you need to deal with them.

I guess that's about all I have to say about Twilight Princess, though... It really didn't fit the Legend of Zelda I knew and loved.
On the other hand, I found it to be precisely the Legend of Zelda I knew and loved. Except just too damn easy.

Though I do still maintain what I said on the first page: could have been even better if it were not Legend of Zelda at all.

otherwise it's frustratingly annoying (Water temple, anyone?
:smallconfused: The water temple seemed quite fine to me. In fact, due to the Zora Armor, the underwater areas in TP in general were second only to Majora's (since even the Zora Armor doesn't beat being an actual Zora).

Zevox

Triaxx
2009-11-04, 08:52 AM
Keese not a problem? Cave of Ordeals. The best place in the game to break out the slingshot. You'll want to save your arrows for more dangerous targets and it's hard to see them to hit with the boomerang, so that sling shot becomes very useful.

On Swimming: Probably the best implemented swimming controls since the Zora Mask. It's like they realized that the best controls were to just take the Mario swimming and apply it to Link.

Linkavitch
2009-11-04, 02:01 PM
Okay, quick OoT question: You know the Silver Gauntlet block in Zora's Fountain, over by the Great Fairy cave, with the passage of invisible skulltulas under it? There's supposed to be a Gold Skulltula in here somewhere. Well, according to the guide I have, I need to walk up the passage, and I will see it. I've done this multiple times, and I can neither hear nor see it. And, I'm sure I've never gotten this GS before. Any hints?

Geno9999
2009-11-04, 04:55 PM
Do you have the Lens of Truth yet? If you have it, try using it as you look around

Sholos
2009-11-04, 04:59 PM
So, am I the only person bothered by the fact that Link is no longer left-handed?

Wreckingrocc
2009-11-04, 05:01 PM
Nope. Even though the only motion sensitivity for all us righties out there was picking up if the controller was moving, they had to fricking change it.

Zeful
2009-11-04, 05:01 PM
So, am I the only person bothered by the fact that Link is no longer left-handed?

Apparently.

Why is Link wearing his shield on his sword arm?

Linkavitch
2009-11-05, 01:23 PM
You know, they could of made the Wii version with the option at the start of the game whether they wanted Link to be left-or right-handed. if left, then no flip, if right, then flip. Would have made this debate moot.

As to my question earlier, yes I have the lens of truth, and I did look around with it. *sigh* Maybe I'll have to start over and try for 100% completion again.:smallfrown:

Triaxx
2009-11-05, 07:15 PM
Go to the end of the platform, just before you'd fall over then turn around and look up. That's where it is.

Zevox
2009-11-05, 11:01 PM
No, though I'm not among those who are. Don't see it as important myself. Left-handed, right-handed, ambidextrous, makes no difference to me.

Zevox

Kurien
2009-11-07, 10:13 AM
Has anyone heard of Zelda Classic (http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/what.php)?
Zelda Classic is a fan tribute to the series, and as far as I know is an engine that allows one to make your very own Zelda quest. Originally it was a replica of the first Zelda game, but has grown into what it is today. Apparently it's free to download, and there are plenty of fan made quests available to try some that are considered high quality. I haven't downloaded it yet, since i'm not sure how it works, but it looks worthwhile.

About the next Zelda game: I like upgrading my swords, so it would please me if there were more of them. At least five swords would be great. Each one would be slightly stronger than the last, whether in damage capability or speed. A two handed sword like the Biggoron's Sword would be sweet also.

I agree with Linkavitch's suggestion about choosing left or right hand.

Finally, for the last week or so I've been doodling hand drawn sprites at school, and finally got around to translating them to paint:
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8898/legendofzeldaspriteshee.png

Linkavitch
2009-11-08, 07:57 AM
Finally, for the last week or so I've been doodling hand drawn sprites at school, and finally got around to translating them to paint:
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8898/legendofzeldaspriteshee.png

Kurien, those pics are awesome. I suddenly find the need to play a Zelda game using these sprites.

About the question I had earlier, it suddenly occered to me my skulltula hunting adventure would be a lot more effective if i hunted at night.:smallamused:

Xenogears
2009-11-08, 09:50 PM

Seeing as though it is not always the same link in every game then it makes perfect sense for some versions to be right-handed and some to be left-handed. Sure if at the end of this new one they tell us he is the same Link as the one from the original or one of the other early ones where he IS left-handed I will be a little peeved at the inconsistency but as long as they just have him be another incarnation of link that happens to not be left-handed this time I'm fine with it.

As for Zelda games in general I'd have to say that the best ones would be:

1. A Link to the Past. I have literally beaten this game. Then immediately made a new file to play through again. More than Once. I love this game. I have played through it literally over a hundred times.

2.Ocarina of Time. Sure the basic premise of the game (3 easy warm-up dungeons, get master sword, go to evil version of world, fight more dungeons, kill Ganon.) is the same as in A Link to the Past but the mechanics changed SO much that it was awesome. Plus it had a neat story and the songs mechanic was cool.

3. Legend of Zelda 2: Links Adventure. Unfairly Maligned. I love it so much. Most magically inclined Link (Reflection, healing, shielding, jumping, turn into a frikkin FAIRY!, etc.) plus by far the most different of all the zelda games. Top-Down for the world map but when in town/random encounter/dungeon it switched to side-scrolling platformer.

4. Wind Waker. Big improvement of the combat. A million and one mini-games. Heck I even enjoyed DECORATING THE TOWN of all things. Not normally fun in games but for some reason it was in Wind Waker. Sailing parts and damn Tingle's overpriced plot forced map bull**** aside....

5. Link's Awakening. The shopkeeper. The shopkeper. "I said you have to pay. Now you must pay the ultimate price." Cue Link being killed by the shopkeepers random magic and everyone else in the game calling you Thief for the rest of the game. And the DX version had that mouse randomly take your picture all the time which was kinda fun.

Didn't really like TP very much. Didn't like Midna (better than Navi by a ton but still not a good inclusion IMO), Wolf form felt odd, felt like a re-write of OoT gameplay wise but just not as much fun. That is my most basic complaint about the game. It just felt like playing OoT but not as fun.

Linkavitch
2009-11-10, 05:44 PM
Who here is going to get Spirit Tracks? I'm going to ask for it and Twilight Princess for Christmas, and if i don't get 'em, then I'm going to buy them right after. The video that just got released makes the game look awesome. I mean, seriously. You get to have ghost Zelda following you around instead of a fairy, and you get to control a Phantom in the dungeons. Whee!

Zevox
2009-11-11, 01:58 AM
Who here is going to get Spirit Tracks?
The sequel to my third-favorite game of the series? Hell yes. I too have requested it as a prospective Christmas gift, and will definitely buy it myself if I don't get it then.

Zevox

KataraAltinaII
2009-11-11, 02:17 AM
ah... Zelda, Zelda, Zelda... the 2nd-in-command of legendary gaming. [behind Mario]. back in the days of REAL games, before all of this wussie Xbox and Playstation crap came around... it's a pity SEGA's gone belly-up console-wise.

anyhoot... where to begin...
no particular order here or anything...

--Ocarina of Time: if you don't like this game, you not only are officially a dork/n00b/don't know a good game when you see it, but you are also turning down one of the greatest games of all time. everything... even the annoying owl that I wanted to shoow with my bow so much... Navi, who I wanted to stuff into one of those bottles... the morons... err... Gorons... and of coruse the FREAKING WATER TEMPLE!!! :smallfurious: ye...

--Link's Awakening: That badass shopkeeper who goes all Emporer Palpatine on you when you hijack crap. That was by far the freakiest and most epic surprise I've come across in a Zelda game. and I loved the cameos from Peach, Yoshi, Kirby, Mario monsters, etc.

--Twilight Princes: had a feel of OoT Remixed. I liked it, because there were some nice twists (wolf form, countless warp points, the twilight zone, etc.). And of course the graphics change... definitely the most badass looking Lik, Zelda, and Ganondorf I've seen in ages. Love puppet Zelda's voice. and Midna... devious little bastard... loved her to death and hated her at the same time. The story of a woman--can't live with her, can't live without her.

--The Oracle Series (Seasons and Ages): I found Ages much easier, because I thought more logically than just all-out attack, which was what Seasons was (Din--Goddess of Power/Oracle of Seasons. Game was mostly based on fighting and strength [power]. Nayru--Goddess of Wisdom/Oracle of Ages. Game was mostly based on logic and problem-solving [wisdom].) Loved both games, and loved the linked games. Loved hand-drawing sprites from these games as well. I've played them countless times.

I wasn't too fond of Wind Waker or Link to the Past though... I did enjoy Toon Link's crazy 60-second spin attack though. :smallbiggrin: they were fun, but not as fun as other Zeldas I've played.

...and is it only me, or does anyone else think that Courage was a rip-off Triforce? :smallconfused:

Triaxx
2009-11-11, 07:24 AM
1: Tied with Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. Majora's has the most awesome transformation mechanic ever. The hours I spent rolling around the field as a Goron? Innumerable. TP has mounted combat. And it's fun. Plus they got swimming as right as they ever had.

2: Ocarina of Time: Did 3D transition exactly as it should have, and brought back the two worlds of Link to the Past without just rerunning it.

3: Tie between Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. Both tons of fun, both really don't make sense until you finish them.

4: The Legend of Zelda, the original. No explanation needed.

5: Adventure of Link. Fun, period.

Kurien
2009-11-11, 09:04 PM
Who here is going to get Spirit Tracks? I'm going to ask for it and Twilight Princess for Christmas, and if i don't get 'em, then I'm going to buy them right after. The video that just got released makes the game look awesome. I mean, seriously. You get to have ghost Zelda following you around instead of a fairy, and you get to control a Phantom in the dungeons. Whee!

I don't have a DS, so me ever playing this game is unlikely. I've played Phantom Hourglass on my cousin's DS, but only got as far as the Isle of Gust.

What do people think of adding RPG elements to a future game. To date only The Adventure of Link has incorporated RPG Elements. I'm thinking L-targeting is a good place to add skill levels, especially for aiming with a bow and frequency of attacks. Damage should remain fixed depending on the weapon though, and Pieces of Heart have got to stay.

What are people's favourite items and weapons from the series? Mine include one's I've only seen, and have never used:

The Fierce Deity Mask -- Ridiculously overpowered badass. I've seen a glitch which allows it to be used outside boss battles, but only in boss battles have I seen the energy disc effect.
Biggoron's sword -- A strong sword balanced with its lack of defensive capabilities? There's aesthetic appeal in two handed weapons.
The hookshot and similar tools -- Versatile. The clawshot was able to attach to a smaller variety of objects, which made puzzles more obvious (Circular grate? Aim here!) and was a less effective weapon.
Bow and Arrows -- The best version was in TP. It was easier to aim (just line up with tip of arrow). Also, fire, ice, light and bomb arrows! (Only bomb variety in TP).
There are others, like the Ocarina, Giant's mask, Chateau Romani and Boomerang.

TheSummoner
2009-11-11, 09:22 PM
Actually, Bomb Arrows originated as a sort of easter egg item in Link's Awakening for the Gameboy. By equipping the Bow and Bombs to A and B (or B and A) and using both at the same time, you shot off an exploding arrow.

Hookshot is my favorite weapon by far. It let you explore places you may have never thought to look and could have some pretty hilarious side effects (never hookshot a OOT redead).

Fierce Deity's Mask was an amazing item, but it made the final boss fight too easy. I really wish they would elaborate on the origin of the item though... theres amazing story potential there.

KataraAltinaII
2009-11-12, 10:26 AM
favorite items... hmm...
I do remember bomb arrows in Link's Awakening...

Pegasus boots were ones of mine... hiold them and get your sword out and then just charge around smashing into walls... Link to the past did this best for me. :smallbiggrin:

love the chain ball from Twilight Princess too. that thing was the LoZ wrecking ball, and was win.

and the bomb arrows--with my Legolas-esque aim and my 90 bomb arrows, I could pick off any given monster--anywhere. :smallcool:

Roc's feather from OoS, OoA, and LA. jumping around like a maniac helped me beat a few bosses. no. srsly. :smalleek:

Noble/Master sword from the Oracle series as well. when you had full health it'd shoot lasers, which were fun to nail people with.

Twilight Princess's Dual-clawshots were also prepostrously epic. you don't know how much crazy amounts of fun I've had playing with those. :smallbiggrin: hehehe...
I think there might be a few others, but I forget at this time.

Dihan
2009-11-12, 10:41 AM
What do people think of adding RPG elements to a future game. To date only The Adventure of Link has incorporated RPG Elements. I'm thinking L-targeting is a good place to add skill levels, especially for aiming with a bow and frequency of attacks. Damage should remain fixed depending on the weapon though, and Pieces of Heart have got to stay.

So you want Fable then? Zelda should stay as it is. There's no need to add RPG elements to every game - AoL tried it and it failed.

Vorpal word
2009-11-12, 04:09 PM
Personally, I like the animals you get in the Gameboy Colour Zeldas, if only for the uniqueness they carry. I mean, seriously, Moosh is a f***ing flying bear that makes shock waves when he lands, how cool is that.

As for actual items...the slingshot from the same games was an interesting try. The different seed variety seems like it's from another game...Pokemon maybe?

Mystic Muse
2009-11-13, 09:01 PM
A. DEATH TO THE DOMINION ROD!:smallfurious:
B. higher difficulty
C. more variety of weapons.
D. Link can be a girl.

these are what I'd like.

Zeful
2009-11-14, 12:26 AM
D. Link can be a girl.

Concept: You play as a quiet young pesant girl named Zelda, when Ganon shows up and kidnaps the Crown Prince named after the legendary hero of time, Link.:smalltongue:

Or they could both be girls... (tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YuriFanboy):smallbiggrin:

mmKALLL
2009-11-14, 12:38 PM
Ahh... Zelda, my number one love...(I mean the series, lol)

First to that person who made the post about ZC, I play Zelda Classic as well=D The qustom quests some have made(especially Megaman: DWRDC?) are simply amazing, as well as the re-done graphics.

The things I would want to see... Well, I think the Zelda series is awesome, and I trust whatever Nintendo has in store, so nothing specific, really. Except maybe a new 'second quest' for those veteran gamers would be awesome.

I really loved Zelda 1 since it had a degree of difficulty you can really say is hard, and be really proud when you have played it through. The 2nd Quest was so amazing, with instead of only the enemies, they redid the whole place!

My favourite game is OoT, I had the GC bonus disk for some time from my friend for my wii, and sadly, didn't have a memory card, so I had to beat it in one go. Took like 4 annoying months, but it was a great experience. Got a N64 to save, and playing it again atm=)

Second would come TP. It was too easy on the battles IMO, though. I have played these games mosly for the story and puzzles, but it would be boring without bosses and some enemies, though.

Minish Cap would maybe come 3rd... Ahh, I can't even remember all the games, so I can't really make a 'top 10' list or anything.

Also, do you people know Sporcle? Well, here is something from there=D

Advanced:
http://www.sporcle.com/games/zelda_games.php
My 1st time score: 16/20, best 18.

Hardercore:
http://www.sporcle.com/games/JayHankEdLyon/zeldaitems
Uhh.... this one is great. My 1st was something around the mid-50s of 88(?) and my best is around the higher 60s.

EDIT: And yes, I am getting Spirit Tracks as well. As soon as it hits Europe... 11th, can't wait for it!

Kurien
2009-11-14, 02:09 PM
A. DEATH TO THE DOMINION ROD!:smallfurious:
Sure it had limited use, but I thought it was fun controlling statues in the Temple of Time. I agree it can be left out of future games unless it can be incorporated more fully into puzzles throughout the experience.

B. higher difficulty
What contributed to it's easiness was probably the fact that most people have played past games like OoT and were prepared for the combat. I'm not saying it wasn't easy, but that veterans found it even easier. Some bosses such as Dar Beast Ganon did almost defeat Link and would have if the damage was ramped up.

So, do you want to just make the monsters deal higher damage (like iron knuckles that dealt 4 hearts), or also make them also harder to block/dodge? Maybe they could attack more frequently?

C. more variety of weapons.

This I agree with. As I said earlier, at least five B-weapons (something that is swung with B-button or in TP by moving the Wiimote.) that one can switch between at any time would be satisfying. Over ten would be plain awesome. I also think that some monsters should be given damage reduction so that they just shrug off damage from weaker weapons, making something like the kokiri dagger almost completely useless later in the game.
B weapons could include spears and other blades on sticks, axes, and two handed weapons.
Spears= greater reach and/or unable to use shield. Axes = Sacrifice speed for power. Two handed Weapons such as swords, hammers. = Sacrifice use of shield for power.

D. Link can be a girl.

Don't tell me you wouldn't want to hear an older female Link generally making the sounds Link is famous for.
Another idea would be being able to play as Zelda in some sequences.

Or they could both be girls. :smallbiggrin:
Thumbs up. +1

Mystic Muse
2009-11-14, 03:50 PM
So, do you want to just make the monsters deal higher damage (like iron knuckles that dealt 4 hearts), or also make them also harder to block/dodge? Maybe they could attack more frequently?

deal more damage, more moves they can do so it's not utterly predictable and have some enemies with attacks that can't be blocked. (lower health on those is probably a good idea though)

also. Make Ganon HARD.

Linkavitch
2009-11-14, 04:57 PM
Oh, two new things I just remembered that are really cool about ST:

1. It's coming out in the U.S. before Japan. (That's almost literally a first.)

2. As revealed in in this trailer, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXxuys7I-W0) there is now no fairy! YEAH!

Dispozition
2009-11-14, 05:03 PM
Spirit tracks looks a lot better in that trailer than it did in the first one...That one makes me want to get it...Problem is, I hated Phantom Hour Glass. Couldn't stand playing it on the DS, and I think that problem might carry into ST as well...

mmKALLL
2009-11-15, 03:25 AM
No ball of light that follows you? Awesome!

I hope there will be no owl either. I just hate the blabbling, especially in OoT when you couldn't skip all the text(or making a speech appear fully at once by pressing A) anytime you wanted.

Does that mean Europe gets it first? Lol.

Linkavitch
2009-11-15, 02:17 PM
Nah, Europe still gets it 4 days after U.S. if ZeldaWiki is right. But Japan doesn't get it till after Christmas.:smallbiggrin:

Oregano
2009-11-15, 02:50 PM
Ghost Zelda is the equivalent of the fairy for Spirit Tracks, except she can take a more proactive role.

Mystic Muse
2009-11-15, 03:42 PM
:smallfrown: I don't have a DS.

Zeful
2009-11-15, 04:01 PM
Neither do I, but I intend to get one before Golden Sun DS comes out so I can clear save Golden Sun and GS:Lost Age.

Hann
2009-11-15, 06:32 PM
So would we all agree that Twilight Princess is the easiest Zelda to date?

Four Swords Adventures. Beat it in two days. If you're talking about traditional 3D Zelda, I agree, but only because I subscribe to the "Newer games are easier" philosophy. Zelda 1 & 2 were HARD.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are by far my favorite titles, Ocarina because I see it as the definitive Zelda title, the one people should start with, and Majora's Mask because of the diversity of gameplay through the masks.

As for ideas such as new B weapons, I disagree. What Zelda does well is one primary weapon, upgraded maybe two or three times over the course of the story, and a host of secondary items used primarily for puzzles. Add polearms and axes and the like, and it's not really Legend of Zelda anymore.

And now for my opinions on the games themselves.

The first one: Not really essential to play, if only to say you've beat it and to get quotes like "It's a secret to everybody" and "It's dangerous to go alone! Take this"

Adventure of Link: Only play if you are dead set on saying you've beat every Zelda game. Even that was barely enough to keep me playing.

Link to the Past: My personal favorite of the overhead-view titles. It was long, hard, and packed with enough awesomeness to keep me coming back for more.:smallwink: Seriously though, I liked it. Except those blasted Cane items.

Links Awakening: Good title, great music. Ballad of the Wind Fish is still one of my favorite Zelda tunes. Speaking of which, www.zreomusic.com

Ocarina of Time: This was the title that got me hooked. Time Travel, horseback riding, and the Megaton Hammer. Nuff said.

Majora's Mask: This was one of the only Zelda games to get me to care about the characters. Some of the stories were downright tragic.

Oracle games: My first Zelda handhelds. Good story, and the linking between the two made them almost like Pokemon. Also, loved the puzzles involving time travel or season changing.

Four Swords: The first one came as a multiplayer add-on for the GBA release of Link to the Past. Fun, if a bit limited. The later Gamecube release expanded it more, but still wasn't very challenging. See beginning of comment.

Cd-i games: Who am I kidding, they don't count!:smallbiggrin:

Master Quest: A re-released, "harder" version of OoT. Mostly true, but they took the respective difficulties for the Water Temple and Bottom of the Well from the original and switched them.

Wind Waker: Great. Some may dislike the cartoony style, but I think it worked for the style of the game, and increased the connection with the characters, even bit ones. Also, the cutscenes are some of my favorite ever. (raising the Tower of the Gods, Return to Forsaken Fortress)

Minish Cap: Alright, serves as the final link in the Four Swords saga. Gotta love that the worst Vaati could do to Ezlo was turn him into a hat.

Twilight Princess: Okay story, I personally disliked the whole wolf thing. Good items though, if you look at the double Clawshot and not the spinner or Dominion Rod.

Phantom Hourglass: The Temple of the Ocean king was a bit much. I did like the customization of the boat options and of course, Linebeck.

Still wary about Spirit Tracks ("Alright, we've done a boat, what other modes of transportation can we use?" "...Trains?" "Brilliant!") and the unnamed one. Looks interesting though.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-11-16, 01:06 AM
Fierce Deity's Mask was an amazing item, but it made the final boss fight too easy. I really wish they would elaborate on the origin of the item though... theres amazing story potential there.

:furious: I was going to say about how the fierce Deity mask has an awesome story explained in the Majora's Mask Manga (anyone who hasn't read it, must do) but then I remembered the backstory is of the Majora's mask.... pity

Linkavitch
2009-11-16, 11:43 AM
Ghost Zelda is the equivalent of the fairy for Spirit Tracks, except she can take a more proactive role.

Except hopefully Zelda won't be as annoying. *prays*

mmKALLL
2009-11-16, 02:34 PM
....The only things I pray that are in the future games are these:

No fairy. Or owl, or anything else that goes 'hey, Link!' or 'hoot hoot!'

Second quest or a harder difficulty ramp. I would prefer the first one. New players dont get stuck, veterans get something to play for and everyone gets a sense of accomplishing something hard. Hopefully.

The thing that you can read text faster than on a preset speed(the most annoying thing in OoT IMO), or like display all at once. Seriously. Just like in TP: you could have the big spirit guy say everything one letter at a time and watch carefully as the words slowly come in, or you can press A, read the whole thing quickly, press A again etc. And what even better, you can just skip the whole thing if you know the story=)

Linkavitch
2009-11-16, 07:48 PM
The thing that you can read text faster than on a preset speed(the most annoying thing in OoT IMO), or like display all at once. Seriously. Just like in TP: you could have the big spirit guy say everything one letter at a time and watch carefully as the words slowly come in, or you can press A, read the whole thing quickly, press A again etc. And what even better, you can just skip the whole thing if you know the story=)

Yeah, the text difficulty was the only thing I didn't like about OoT. I just started teaching my little sister how to play, and we were both cracking up at the Great Deku Tree. Did they happen to fix that in MM?

mmKALLL
2009-12-03, 01:21 PM
Weird. I found "IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY" quote from Mario and Luigi RPG 3: Bowser's inside story.

Never seen one outside of a Zelda game.