PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to...

Texas_Ben
2009-10-31, 01:06 PM
...Set it so that posts by certain users don't show up? A lot of forums have the option to hide posts by certain users and I was wondering if the same feature was available here.

Raistlin1040
2009-10-31, 01:08 PM
User CP towards the top of the screen. Click it, go to the Misc. section, open Buddy and Ignore list. The Ignore list is what you're looking for.

Recaiden
2009-10-31, 01:08 PM
Yes. You can go to a user's public profile and click, "Add *Username* to Your Ignore List"
Their posts will still show up, but none of the text will be visible, just a line saying they're on your ignore list.

Texas_Ben
2009-10-31, 02:55 PM
Thank you.

Silverraptor
2009-10-31, 07:32 PM
What are the benefits for being on the friends list?:smallconfused:

Renegade Paladin
2009-10-31, 11:09 PM
...Set it so that posts by certain users don't show up? A lot of forums have the option to hide posts by certain users and I was wondering if the same feature was available here.
Why would you want to do that? :smallconfused:

arguskos
2009-10-31, 11:17 PM
Because a number of posters seriously aggravate you, and you wish to no longer see their posts? I dunno, reasons differ.

Occasional Sage
2009-10-31, 11:40 PM
Never having set myself to Ignore anybody: if I were to do so, and somebody quoted them in their own post, would I see the quote? Or just a response with no context?

AstralFire
2009-10-31, 11:48 PM
Never having set myself to Ignore anybody: if I were to do so, and somebody quoted them in their own post, would I see the quote? Or just a response with no context?

Most likely you would see the quote, as the text quoted is coded entirely within your post.

Renegade Paladin
2009-11-01, 12:15 AM
Because a number of posters seriously aggravate you, and you wish to no longer see their posts? I dunno, reasons differ.
So the desire is to make the board into the person's own personal echo chamber? Wow. :smallyuk:

Serpentine
2009-11-01, 01:36 AM
Because of course all someone has to do to get on an ignore list is to disagree with you 9.9

AstralFire
2009-11-01, 01:38 AM
Because of course all someone has to do to get on an ignore list is to disagree with you 9.9

-ignores all of you because I've disagreed with or will disagree with everyone here at least once-

More seriously - though trivial ignores are pretty rare, I've seen them happen. Both in chat and on forums, however, the trigger-happy with ignores generally find that they punish themselves more effectively than their intended targets (either by isolation or by generating a reputation as being unusually soft-skinned), so it's an issue that controls itself.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-01, 02:05 AM
So the desire is to make the board into the person's own personal echo chamber? Wow. :smallyuk:Eh, I've ignored only one, due to being seriously aggravated by his sig, to the point where I PM'd him about it, forgot I had done so, then PM'd him again a year later. It was either ignore him, block signatures, or raise a stink with the mods over it.

Also, can people tell if you've ignored them?

AstralFire
2009-11-01, 02:09 AM
Eh, I've ignored only one, due to being seriously aggravated by his sig, to the point where I PM'd him about it, forgot I had done so, then PM'd him again a year later. It was either ignore him, block signatures, or raise a stink with the mods over it.

Also, can people tell if you've ignored them?

No. I'm ignored by Ashtagon (and hopefully no one else?) but I have no indication of this beside her proclamation. I suppose I'd get some rejection notice if I sent a PM her way or something.

Milskidasith
2009-11-01, 02:39 AM
No. I'm ignored by Ashtagon (and hopefully no one else?) but I have no indication of this beside her proclamation. I suppose I'd get some rejection notice if I sent a PM her way or something.

As a related question, if you are ignoring somebody, can you still get PMs from them? I don't ignore people, but I was wondering if it might be possible to solve the issue privately if it ever comes up.

Mordokai
2009-11-01, 02:54 AM
Go ahead and try it. I have ignored you just for this purpose, because I'm curious too :smallbiggrin:

Yay for science! :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2009-11-01, 02:57 AM
Incidentally, you can also choose to view individual posts of someone you've ignored. I'd guess that PMs are possible... Is there a "block" option in PMs?

Milskidasith
2009-11-01, 03:03 AM
Go ahead and try it. I have ignored you just for this purpose, because I'm curious too :smallbiggrin:

Yay for science! :smalltongue:

I just sent you a PM. No response message saying it didn't work, but I don't know if you got it.

Mordokai
2009-11-01, 03:11 AM
I got nothing.

EDIT: I removed you now, try again.

Texas_Ben
2009-11-01, 11:01 AM
I racked up 3 infractions {Scrubbed - that is inaccurate} in response to a single user's posts. Making it so I couldn't see them seemed the way to go.

NerfTW
2009-11-01, 11:07 AM
So the desire is to make the board into the person's own personal echo chamber? Wow. :smallyuk:

No, but occasionally, there are users who simply add nothing to the conversation, and you're better off skipping over them. Trolls who stay within the rules, for instance.

I've done it a time or two, usually when someone is beating a dead horse over and over every time they post.

Roland St. Jude
2009-11-01, 11:15 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: As noted, yes, there is an ignore poster feature.