PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Still Have Their NES?

X2
2009-10-31, 06:02 PM
Days ago I decided to blow the dust off of my favourite console, the NES, and open the box of games I had for it. Those huge cartridges...

Man things were different back then, licensed games didn't automatically suck, multiplayer was limited to the number of people on your couch, controllers were completely rectangular (and yet still oddly comfortable) and the games were unbelievably frickin' hard!

Remember Battletoads? Mega Man 1? Silver Surfer? Yo Noid? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Remember the hours we wasted dying in those games and throwing the controller angrily? Ah... but now that we have matured we can appreciate the challenge a little more...

Oh that is cheap! How was I supposed to dodge that! ARGH!!!

(Discuss!)

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-31, 06:12 PM
Born too late.

Willing to buy one, though.

Assuming you have an English Copy of Mother, that is. :smalltongue:

Winthur
2009-10-31, 06:19 PM
I played Contra on a Soviet NES ripoff known as Pegasus for many hours. :smallsmile:

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-31, 06:24 PM
Born too late.

Willing to buy one, though.

Assuming you have an English Copy of Mother, that is. :smalltongue:

I don't belive they exist, but the good folks who translated Mother 3 were working on Mother 1.

Though ours was a genesis household, I found my brother's NES after seeing this (http://www.gamesradar.com/f/fun-projects-for-your-nes/a-2009102913351803028) article.

loopy
2009-10-31, 06:27 PM
My dad gave mine away to my cousins... who mistreated it, broke it, then junked it.

I was NOT happy. :smallfurious:

nanobot_swarm
2009-10-31, 06:47 PM
I do, but the stupid power cable broke, so I can't play it anymore. :smallfrown:

Shpadoinkle
2009-10-31, 06:49 PM
I still have mine, and my Super NES. I don't have the cables and stuff to hook them up, though, so I have no idea if they still work.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-31, 06:52 PM
I don't belive they exist, but the good folks who translated Mother 3 were working on Mother 1.

Oh, I'm quite aware of that.

Damn Nintendo, tempting me near emulation of games I don't own. :smallannoyed:

I also know about that project, but when I checked on that a few weeks ago, there hadn't been an update in... months, at least.

X2
2009-10-31, 07:40 PM
Heh... awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=simqlREvRH4)

Silverraptor
2009-10-31, 07:44 PM
I got a hand me down NES as my first game station. I played Kirby over and over, from the beginning. I never got tired of it. I'd probably still play it if it didn't break down. We even sent it back to nintendo to fix it, but they didn't make the part it needed anymore.:smallfrown:

EleventhHour
2009-10-31, 07:45 PM
Not only do I still have it, I still play and love it.

Oh, Blaster Master, your ridiculous plot fills me with childish glee.

Zevox
2009-10-31, 08:38 PM
Nah, my family sold our NES way back when we got a Sega Genesis, probably a good 15 years ago now. I do have the Mega Man Anniversary Collection for my Gamecube, though, and still love playing those old NES-era Mega Man games.

Guess what the one and only Wii Ware game I've downloaded is. :smallwink:

Zevox

Mando Knight
2009-10-31, 08:44 PM
I never had an NES, since I was born too late for that, but I'm piece by piece getting experience in that system: played the NES Super Mario games on the SNES through the All-Star collection, played NES Metroid thanks to Metroid Prime and Metroid Zero Mission having it as an unlockable, downloaded Mega Man 1 for the Wii, as well as the NES-wannabe Mega Man 9. Plan on downloading Final Fantasy 1 sometime (as well as the other chapters of FFIV: The After Years, but that's another story)...

TheLaughingLich
2009-10-31, 08:48 PM
Still have my old NES (well, originally it was my father's) and still play it on occasion. It's held up quite well. Ultima IV, Final Fantasy, and Mega Man I-VI are among my favourites. I don't play it nearly as much as SNES or Genesis, though.

KBF
2009-10-31, 09:08 PM
In an amazing bit of coincidence I bought one today.

I only have Mario/Duckhunt though, with no zapper, and someone modded it to play stereo but the sound is now broken.

Geno9999
2009-10-31, 09:09 PM
I was born around the I think is the Late SNES and early N64 era, and my family didn't get the NES, but I got together some of the good NES games on the VC, including:
Super Mario Bros.
Final Fantasy
Legend of Zelda
Zelda 2: Adventure of Link
Kirby's Adventure
Punch-Out!!! (featuring Mr. Dream)

And I also have the NES-wannabe Mega Man 9 (Right down to the box art!)
Compare: Mega Man:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ea/MegamanBox.jpg/250px-MegamanBox.jpg
Mega Man 2:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/be/Megaman2_box.jpg/250px-Megaman2_box.jpg
Mega Man 9:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/45/Megaman9cover.jpg

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-31, 09:19 PM
Oh, I'm quite aware of that.

Damn Nintendo, tempting me near emulation of games I don't own. :smallannoyed:

I also know about that project, but when I checked on that a few weeks ago, there hadn't been an update in... months, at least.

Really? That's a shame. :smallfrown:

Mando Knight
2009-10-31, 09:30 PM
I was born around the I think is the Late SNES and early N64 era, and my family didn't get the NES

You were born in the midst of the Genesis-SNES console war. Y'know, the good one. :smalltongue:

ObadiahtheSlim
2009-10-31, 11:31 PM
I still have my NES at my mom's. I need to go over there some time and reclaim it. The reader head needs to be cleaned/replace though. Also the D-Pads are a bit worn and aren't as responsive as they used to be.

Xanedan
2009-10-31, 11:38 PM
My dad gave mine away to my cousins... who mistreated it, broke it, then junked it.

I was NOT happy. :smallfurious:

I'm in the exact same boat, same cousin also ended up destroying my Genesis and original PS1.

Talking to my Aunt a few months back she mentioned my ever growing collection of SLR's and DSLR's and asked if I'd donate one.

Hahhaha, no.

I think I miss my Genesis most of all, though. Can't really say I picked up a lot of gems for the NES owing to growing up on military bases, and the terrible selection of goods that get sold there.

valadil
2009-11-01, 12:13 AM
Never had a NES, but I have <i>two</i>Atari 2600s. If only they could connect to my HDMI TV.

Triaxx
2009-11-01, 04:39 AM
I've still got mine, both the original Blinky-Box, and the newer NES2, the one that looks like the SNES.

Eldariel
2009-11-01, 04:48 AM
I've got mine. A friend o' mine and me still play the Nintendo World Cup (when we were kids, he had it and we played it all the time; he sold his NES later but I saved mine and ordered World Cup online at one point). Best football game ever IMHO. Though we're both pretty good at it and play as teams so usually our games come down to trying new records for scores in each match.

And yeah, Super Marios, Mario Bros, High Speed, Blastermaster, Battletoads, TMNT 1 (2 was blah! Though we still finished it a hundred times.), Cobra Triangle (BEST. GAME. EVER.), Tom & Jerry, etc. Good times.

I've got my SNES right next to it (for whatever reason, my uncle got me an American SNES even though I live in Finland so getting games for it was hard but I got really good at Castlevania 4 and NHL 1994; and it enabled me to get Chrono Trigger!).

Comet
2009-11-01, 04:57 AM
Do I have a NES? I have two :smalltongue:

And a huge load of games. Those are still infinitely fun to get into every now and then. Just recently I gave Wizards & Warriors 3 another go. The magic hasn't died even after all these years.

Moonshadow
2009-11-01, 05:03 AM
Yes, I do, and my PAL SNES too.

And Secret of Mana *hides*

ericgrau
2009-11-01, 05:44 AM
Have a NES, SNES and N64, plus some good games I was playing within the last year. Hmm... no! Don't tempt me, I have things to do.

MrPig
2009-11-02, 10:03 AM
My ex had an SNES. My ex gave away her SNES because she felt she didn't need anymore. Now you know why she's my ex.

Linkavitch
2009-11-02, 12:08 PM
I do, but the stupid power cable broke, so I can't play it anymore. :smallfrown:

Dude, almost the same thing happened to me. The plug part of the cable, you know? The back fell off, and my dad duct-taped it back on. But, it didn't really do muck, cuz six months later, it stopped working entirely.

MickJay
2009-11-02, 12:54 PM
Still have my SNES, it was working the last time I checked, some 3 years ago :smalltongue:

Dragor
2009-11-02, 12:58 PM
I've had the same NES I've always played on since 1994, when I was four. Still works like a charm- well, with the usual little problems which come naturally with any NES, obviously, but a charm by the NES's standards. :smalltongue:

psilontech
2009-11-03, 12:00 AM
Years ago, I leave home for my freshman year of college, leaving behind my previous NES boxed safely in my room.

I come home for Christmas Break and suddenly have a hankering to play a little Megaman. I search for my box to no avail...

"Mom! Have you seen my NES!?"
"Your what?"
"My Nintendo! You know, the thing you used to play Dr. Mario on?"
"Oh! I sold it for $5 at a yard sale I had a few months ago, I didn't know you still played the thing!"
"... And the games?"
"Sold them all for a quarter a piece! Someone bought them all in one go. About five bucks worth."

*Tears*:smallfrown:

Jamin
2009-11-03, 12:52 AM
Years ago, I leave home for my freshman year of college, leaving behind my previous NES boxed safely in my room.

I come home for Christmas Break and suddenly have a hankering to play a little Megaman. I search for my box to no avail...

"Mom! Have you seen my NES!?"
"Your what?"
"My Nintendo! You know, the thing you used to play Dr. Mario on?"
"Oh! I sold it for $5 at a yard sale I had a few months ago, I didn't know you still played the thing!"
"... And the games?"
"Sold them all for a quarter a piece! Someone bought them all in one go. About five bucks worth."

*Tears*:smallfrown:

There goes at 300$ worth of stuff

X2
2009-11-03, 05:43 PM
A friend of mine just got a NES 2 for his birthday.

Lucky sonofa- :smallannoyed:

TheThan
2009-11-03, 06:21 PM
Yeah I remember those old days. They were the best. Back when we had to draw our own in game maps, and write down our passwords, (and puzzle over that lowercase “L” or was it a “1” or a capitol “I”).

Lets see we had a NES, a Sega genesis an Atari 2600, later we got an Snes. But we jumped into computer games and skipped over the N64, playstation 1, Sega Saturn era. I also have a sega dreamcast (that was a badass system) and an X-box 1, my bro just got an X-box 360.

Cleverdan22
2009-11-03, 08:42 PM
Oh man, the NES. Never really owned one myself. My grandfather had one, and was a beast at Super Mario Brothers 3, and I got hooked on it as a kid when I tried to be cool like him. I "borrowed" it for like five years, but I gave it back recently. Its awesome that my grandfather got me into gaming. Hey, everyone remember Paperboy? That game was terrible, but also amazing when I was a kid.

Now, the SNES, I own and still play a lot. Kirby Superstar Saga and Donkey Kong Country 2 for the win.

Thorcrest
2009-11-05, 03:10 PM
I have 5 NES's and 4 SNES's They are THAT awesome and if you don't like it... :smalltongue:

Whoracle
2009-11-05, 03:18 PM
Still have it, still actively play it.
And I still don't know how to beat Digger T. Rock, or even pass the 4th stage... Damn, that game's HARD.

Linkavitch
2009-11-06, 03:13 PM
I just saw in a catalogue of strange things no one knew existed, a video game system that plays both NES and SNES games, and has compatibility for both types of controllers. Is this even legal?

X2
2009-11-06, 06:10 PM
Still trying to beat Ninja Turtles... :smallannoyed:

Despite what the AVGN says, its a pretty good game...

Linkavitch
2009-11-10, 05:49 PM
Still trying to beat Ninja Turtles... :smallannoyed:

Despite what the AVGN says, its a pretty good game...

I think I got that game series on a disc a friend of mine gave me with like 80 NES games on it. *cough* more than slightly illegal*cough* Anyway, I beat the first one, never really got into the other two.