PDA

View Full Version : Would you have bought SoD and OtOoPCs if...

ZerglingOne
2009-10-31, 06:50 PM
If they had been in color, but cost around $8 or $10 more each if that was required to cover the cost of color printing? I know I would have and maybe some day Rich will come out with color versions of the comics. I suppose he did this so more people could afford it and read the stories, and for that I commend him, but I'd buy them again if they came out in color.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-31, 06:53 PM
I'd buy them if I had the money.

Although color would be nice, it isn't a deal breaker for me.

DBJack
2009-10-31, 06:55 PM
Actually, the black and white turns out a lot better than it sounds, because it was mostly in greyscale. I was skeptical too, but it turns out a lot better than you'd think.

I don't think cost was entirely the reason, I think part of it is artistic choice.

And I doubt either will ever come out in full color versions for more, because that would take a ton of time reworking it and some of the jokes about it being black and white

Mystic Muse
2009-10-31, 07:48 PM
The Giant even mentions he did it in greyscale on purpose. Not money saving reasons.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-10-31, 07:55 PM
SoD, sure. Read and reread, and rereread it even.

OtOoPCs... no. I know this won't be well received but I was not a fan of it. The Giant didn't seem to have his heart in it.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-31, 07:59 PM
I didn't buy either of them, so probably no.

I do have SoD, but it's a birthday present, and I'm not a big fan of it.

Gopher
2009-10-31, 08:03 PM
The Giant even mentions he did it in greyscale on purpose. Not money saving reasons.

If I recall, he later clarified that he was kidding when he said that.

I have to admit, if they were much more expensive, I might not have bought them. I'd like to read the extra features in the collection books, but I'm hesitant to spend that much money on one book at the moment.

Meg
2009-10-31, 08:05 PM
No, 'cuz I'm really cheap. I would have asked for them for my birthday, though.

Kish
2009-10-31, 08:10 PM
Yes, I would have.

Janmorel
2009-10-31, 08:28 PM
Times is hard, sir, but yeah, eventually.

I probably wouldn't have bought both of them at once though.

Porthos
2009-10-31, 08:28 PM

Just to confirm what Gopher said, that was in fact a joke.

I personally think the tell was the "I insisted on paying full color price" bit myself. :smalltongue:

--

Also Rich hinted that time might be a factor as well, considering that it would take longer to make a full color book than one "just" in greyscale. So that probably had something to do with it as well.

Turkish Delight
2009-10-31, 09:01 PM
If I recall, he later clarified that he was kidding when he said that.

Pfftt. Hasn't the Giant ever seen how much cooler a classic Film Noir is in black and white?

Oh, yeah, I guess you could argue 'this isn't a movie' and 'this is heroic/comedic fantasy, not film noir', but eh. Grey is awesome when done correctly. I don't consider it to have a negative effect on quality, and couldn't care less if a color version were ever made.

Lissou
2009-10-31, 09:07 PM
Also Rich hinted that time might be a factor as well, considering that it would take longer to make a full color book than one "just" in greyscale. So that probably had something to do with it as well.

What takes longer about colour? Does it take longer to print? I believe making the images would take exactly the same time, wouldn't it? Especially when most of the characters who appear are from the main comic, so they already have colours.
Also, but it might just be me, if I was doing something like that I'd probably do it in colour then greyscale it. So it would take me longer. But as I said, could be just me.

I would have bought them if they had beem in colour rather than greyscale, yes.

Pigkappa
2009-10-31, 09:08 PM
Yes, I would have bought them. Anyway, if they happen to be remade with full color, I don't think I will buy them again just for having them, unless I choose to buy all of the other full-colored books at the same time (buying them one by one is kinda expensive because of the cost for shipping to Europe).

Salty
2009-10-31, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I would have. If he released them in both greyscale and color, I'd buy the greyscale, assuming of course that the color had no extra content. I'd be willing to buy the books, they were both great, but I don't think I'd pay extra for color if greyscale was an option.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-31, 09:44 PM
:redcloak: This plan's on a tight budget, we can't afford full colour.

Not all of SoD is in greyscale, the crayons pages as well as the three frames where they hang a lampshade on it are in colour.

And Rich says in the intro that the choice of greyscale WAS about cost, about lower costs for him as well as us.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-31, 10:38 PM
apologies for the mistake then.

Nimrod's Son
2009-11-01, 12:03 AM
I'd be willing to buy the books, they were both great, but I don't think I'd pay extra for color if greyscale was an option.
I wonder how many people would opt for a cheaper greyscale version of the compilation books.

factotum
2009-11-01, 02:58 AM
I certainly wouldn't buy the books again if they came out in colour. If they'd been in colour in the first place I'm sure I would have got them anyway...I've bought the four books that ARE in colour, after all!

Having said that, I thought the idea to go with black and white for the prequels really works rather well, and I liked the way the Giant went with a bit of fourth-wall breaking in SoD based around the monochrome palette!

Mordokai
2009-11-01, 04:19 AM
No, I wouldn't. Time's tough and I need money for other things than books, no matter how good they are. Besides, the black and white works just fine for me.

Berserk Monk
2009-11-01, 04:23 AM
OtOoPCs: Yes

SoD: No; it works better in black and white.

Ancalagon
2009-11-01, 04:51 AM
Just to confirm what Gopher said, that was in fact a joke.

No, re-read what was written.

The "joke" part was about something else. He said that people did not get that he decided to make the cheaper grey-scale, he "still insisted on paying the full price for the colour-print".

Lucern
2009-11-01, 05:15 AM
Yep, I'd have bought both at that rate. I'm not sure that's what the rate would be for color. I have a feeling it'd be more but I'm not sure.

They grayscale works well, but I do like the vibrance of colorized OOTS quite a lot.

Ancalagon
2009-11-01, 06:27 AM
I'd also would have bought them in colour, but from an artistic point of view, I like the greyscale print for prequel-books. It also makes the colour-sections in SoD having a *much* greater impact.

Kish
2009-11-01, 10:20 AM
No, re-read what was written.

The "joke" part was about something else. He said that people did not get that he decided to make the cheaper grey-scale, he "still insisted on paying the full price for the colour-print".
"Still insisted on paying the full price for the color-print" was joking. "Suggesting that the primary reason for black-and-white was something other than to save money," also joking.

Ancalagon
2009-11-01, 10:24 AM
"Still insisted on paying the full price for the color-print" was joking. "Suggesting that the primary reason for black-and-white was something other than to save money," also joking.

Yes, yes... that is what I wrote...
Joke: Pay full price for colour-print, even when it was in greyscale.

Reference: to people not getting that joke and who took it for serious.

Ninja
2009-11-01, 11:06 AM
Maybe one day ill have enough money to buy them and tell you. :smallfrown:

The_Void
2009-11-01, 11:17 AM
No. I would have bought them if they were free, but other than that I just don't have the money. Being in black and white makes very little difference to me.

waterpenguin43
2009-11-01, 11:24 AM

For that old-fashioned theme, no?

Ancalagon
2009-11-01, 11:37 AM
No. I would have bought them if they were free, but other than that I just don't have the money. Being in black and white makes very little difference to me.

How can you buy things that are "free"? If you do that on a regular basis, I have a lot of air to breathe to sell to you. :)

Berserk Monk
2009-11-01, 04:53 PM
Maybe one day ill have enough money to buy them and tell you. :smallfrown:

You should get a job, or some thief's tools. Either one will result in you having money.

Zordrath
2009-11-01, 05:58 PM
I would have gladly paid more for SoD. An excellent book focussed solely on my favorite characters from the main comic... I never had a choice :smallbiggrin:

I'm not so sure about OtOoPCs. I'm a sucker for a complete collection and I would probably have bought it even at a higher price back then, not knowing what was in it, but in retrospect I'm glad I didn't pay more for it. Sure, it was great fun, but it didn't give me completely new insight into the characters the way SoD did, except for the brief sequence in the Dwarven homelands. There wasn't as much new stuff to it, mainly old stuff told in greater detail.