PDA

View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 73: Snake, Fat Orthex, Kil'ak, Hoppy

ArenaManager
2009-10-31, 09:29 PM
Arena Tournament, Round 73: Snake vs. Fat Orthex vs. Kil'ak the Silvertongued vs. Hoppy

Map:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x184/sublightrun/Garden.png

Awards
1st Place: 600 XP, 550 GP
2nd Place: 200 XP, 250 GP
3rd Place: 100 XP, 100 GP

Mavian- Snake (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=155983)
SoD- Fat Orthex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=152750)
Tanaric - Kil'ak the Silvertongued (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=30441)
RPGAgmJAY- Hoppy (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=151885)

All Combatants, please roll initiative and declare any final purchases.

Tanaric
2009-10-31, 09:31 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Traded out Swindlespitter for a riding dog companion.

Purchases: Another riding dog, one set of chainmail barding, two riding saddles, a scroll of invisibility, and a scroll of Shield.

Total: 545 gp.

Edit: Non-AC riding dog is trained with Seek, Attack (all), Ambush, Guard, and Defend.

AC is trained with the above, with attack as the bonus trick, plus Disarm.

Mavian
2009-10-31, 09:40 PM
Well, Ninja's, spellthieves, and wizards.... this should be fun, and take about a month :smallwink:

[roll0]

SoD
2009-11-02, 05:00 AM
Fat Orthex

No purchases. [roll0]

RPGAgmJAY
2009-11-02, 08:48 AM
Hoppy

No purchases

Initiative: [roll0]

Mavian
2009-11-02, 08:49 AM
I just realized I need to grab some crossbow bolts, so I'll get 20 of those, and no other purchases.

RPGAgmJAY
2009-11-02, 09:05 AM
Hoppy - Round 1

Refs:

Unless I specifically state otherwise, Hoppy will keep slightly crouched, beneath the 5' height of the hedges.

LoS:

Starting in Y13, crouched below the 5' hedge line, equipped with a spiked gauntlet and a shortbow.

Double Move Action: move to X9.

Hide check: [roll0]
Move Silently check: [roll1]

Done.

Stats:

Hoppy
Hp: 6/6
AC: 19 (ff15, t17)
Equipped: Spiked Gauntlet & Shortbow
Psionic Focus
Neraph Camo (unused)

Tanaric
2009-11-02, 12:29 PM
Kil'ak, round 1

Refs:Random musings.

Mavian is all but invisible, being impossible to spot unless he decides to snipe and rolls a 1 on the hide check, and my dogs can't catch him with Scent, either. Orthex is slow enough to avoid easily. Hoppy could lay down some hurt if he gets a couple decent rolls.

Starting in N-25, holding both scrolls in one hand (*shrug* if it's legal for RPG, I'll use it too) mounted on AC. Other dog is in M-25, wearing the barding, and both are wearing saddles.

Standard: Attempt to cast Invisibility from scroll, sharing with AC if successful.

[roll0] vs DC 4

Not done.

Tanaric
2009-11-02, 12:34 PM
Kil'ak, round 1, continued

AC and Kil'ak become invisible.

Move: Handle non-AC riding dog to Seek north, going east around the platform along with instructions to bark if it picks up Orthex's scent. [roll0] DC

AC double moves to to U-13.

Need to see results of roll before I move the other dog.

Other dog double moves to T-13.

Refs:Both dogs have scent. Non-AC has a command to bark if it smells Orthex.

Done.

Edit: Statblock.

Stats:HP: 8/8
AC: 20/15/16
Position: U-13, mounted.
Spells: 0th: 5/5 1st: 6/6
Effects: Invisibility 1/30

Dog (Companion):
HP: 13/13
AC: 16/12/14
Pos: U-13
Effects: Invisibility 1/30

Dog (Normal):
AC: 20/12/18
Pos: T-13

Notes: Kil'ak and AC are invisible. Dog 2 is wearing chainmail barding and a riding saddle.

Tanaric
2009-11-02, 12:47 PM
Refs:Some rolls I forgot.

Reactive rolls for Kil'ak:

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

For dog (companion):

Spot: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]
Move Silently: [roll4]

For dog (normal)
Spot: [roll5]
Listen: [roll6]

Done for real, now.

Mavian
2009-11-02, 01:13 PM
Snake - Round 1

Starting in B14 with crossbow in hand

Move Action: B14 to D17,
Standard Action: Activate Chameleon

End of Turn

Stats for Refs:

Hp: 6
Pos: D17

Psionic Dog
2009-11-03, 01:21 PM
High Ref PsiDog

@Refs
Listen Check Time:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

@Kil'ax
FYI
Telling your non AC dog to "Seeking North-Northeast" is valid. Declaring that "seeking" means "bark when find something" is also ok.

However, using Handle Animal to instruct your pet to only bark when it catches a scent of one particular creature neither you nor the pet can see? That isn't going to fly unless you know of evidence I've forgotten about. It may be legal to tell your dog all that, but dog's don't speak humanoid so without support to the contrary your dog will bark when it sees/smells anything other than you and your AC.

Further, "Seak" ≠ "Heel". Moving north, to the east of the pilar, doesn't put the dog miraculously next to you, an invisible creature. Every interpretation of your instructions that I think of has the dog jogging up the West side of the S11/S16 hedge row and out of your LoS.

LoS coming soon...

Tanaric
2009-11-03, 01:30 PM
Refs:Perhaps "Around the hedges before moving north" would have been more appropriate? Considering that I was right there to give it as specific of instructions as needed to end where it did (full movement), you may amend it to say whatever is necessary. I was keeping it simple for the sanity of the refs, but if strictly spelled out wording is needed, I'll change the wording of the instructions to fit. Yes, the movement is convenient for me - why would I choose to make it go somewhere that wasn't convenient? Regardless, on my next turn, it's going to keep moving past me unless it recieves new instructions. It's not Heeling, it's just standing in a slightly more useful place for me if Hoppy is around.

In regards to Scent for a specific creature, I was going by this:

This extraordinary special quality allows a creature to detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. Creatures with the scent ability can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights.

As far as I know, all gladiators are fully familiar with all others, being able to recognize them on sight/smell/etc. I presume this extends to mounts as well. If you disagree with this interpretation, let me know so I'm aware that not all barks will necessarily be in regards to Orthex.

Psionic Dog
2009-11-03, 05:57 PM
High Ref PsiDog

Ok, sorry for the delay. R.L. kinda caught up with me.

@Refs
No LoS established.
Listen Events: Hoppy moves. Everyone hears, but with distance only the dogs beat the DC by 10.

Kil'ak does a lot of speaking.
Fat Orthex makes simple listen, hoppy and Snake make improved listen
Kil'ak does walking. (he forgot -5 speed modifier) so Hoppy hears that too.

Kil'ak doesn't specify any language, so we'll say it's been in common.

Hoppy
No LoS.
You hear chanting to the South followed by a speech which you just make out...
"There boy, Seek onward! No... this way, this way... good boy. Seek onward!"
This is accompanied by the sound of movement to the south.

Moments later you hear barking from T-13

Kil'ak
Hmm. Leading by voice. I can't think of any flaws there so I'll say it works. The dog accompanies you to T-13.

While gladiators may know of each other and creatures with scent can recognize the familiar (why your dog won't bark at you) communicating such knowledge to your pet is beyond the scope of Seek (which is listed as "look for anything obviously alive or animate")

Should "recognize on sight" be the same as "familiar" is debatable, but not the issue I'm ruling on here. The issue is that RAW makes no mention of allowing Handle Animal to Seek a particular creature or type of creature outside of track. As such, a seeking animal will react to any new living/animate creature it detects in the specified area.

LoS result
You and the dogs hear movement to the north before your turn starts.

As you end your turn the Dog starts barking from T-13.
Your mount also smells something.

Snake
No LoS.
You hear chanting to the South-East followed by a speech which you just make out...
"There boy, Seek onward! No... this way, this way... good boy. Seek onward!"

After a short moment of silent you hear barking east of the pillar.

Fat Orthex
You hear movement to the west, speech to the South, and then barking to the South-West

Tanaric
2009-11-03, 06:01 PM
Quick ref question:Do both dogs smell something, or just the one barking?

Ninja'd.

Not important anymore, continue.

SoD
2009-11-03, 07:28 PM
Fat Orthex, round I

Oh, by the gloves of Maglubiyet, they're everywhere!

Start in N2, weilding quarterstaff.

Run to X4.

End turn.

Stats; HP; 24/24
AC; 10 (flat footed)
Soulmeld; Rageclaws; active.
Spells prepared;
0th; Dazex3
1st; Ray of Enfeeblementx2

RPGAgmJAY
2009-11-03, 11:51 PM
Hoppy - Round 2

LoS:

Staying in X9, Hoppy will attempt to hide better in the cover while readying an action:

Shoot anyone I have clear LoS to if within 30' for sudden strike damage. Possibly will use Psionic Shot but will decide that depending on the target.

Hide: [roll0]

Done.

Stats:

Hoppy
Psionic Focus
Neraph Camo (unused)

Psionic Dog
2009-11-04, 08:06 AM
Quick clerification:

Fat Orthex
When you reach S-3 you see a ridding-dog in T-13. Apparently it is the source of barking you are hearing.

Do you continue on or does this change your action?

SoD
2009-11-04, 07:17 PM
Fat Orthex

Refs; Nah, may as well keep my action.

Psionic Dog
2009-11-04, 08:46 PM
Thanky. Moving on...

@Refs
That has to have been some of the noisiest movement possible...
Take 5 +1 modifier -20 running = DC -14.

Everyone, even Snake (125 ft away for +12 distance) manages to make their listen check by 20.

Fat Orthex can't see Hoppy even on a 20.

Hoppy
You see Fat Orthex come running up from the West to end in X-4.

You may revise your turn if you so choose.

Kil'ak
You see Fat Orthex go running east to the north of you, (gain LoS at R3, loose LoS at U3) and hear his footsteps continue on to X-4

Snake
You hear someone move noicily from N2 to X-4
No LoS

Fat Orthex
You saw a ridding dog as you ran in T-13.
No LoS currently.

Slight rewind, need a revision from Hoppy.

RPGAgmJAY
2009-11-05, 12:26 PM
Hoppy - Round 2 (revision)

LoS & Fat Orthex

Hoppy fires his shortbow (normal arrow) from a hidden position in X9, catching Fat Orthex flat-footed.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] (includes sudden strike damage)

Hoppy then disappears from sight as he moves back behind the hedge.

LoS & Refs:

Move to W10, then up to W9.
Hide Check:[roll2]
Move Silently Check: [roll3]

Done.

Stats:

Hoppy
Psionic Focus
Neraph Camo (unused)

RPGAgmJAY
2009-11-05, 12:28 PM
Hoppy:

refs & Fat Orthex:

Possible crit on that shot.
Confirmation: [roll0]
Additional damage: [roll1] (x3 multiplier)

Completely done. =)

Psionic Dog
2009-11-05, 01:44 PM
@Refs
No big changes. Kil'ak (listen 17) hears hoppy (DC 15 +2 distance) and thats it.

Hoppy
No change. You see Fat Orthex is still in X-4 and the dog barking from T-13 still hasn't stopped.

Kil'ak
You hear movement to the north, but otherwise no change.
Both your dogs still smell stuff (the visible one is still barking)

Snake
The previously mentioned Dog barking still continues.
So... no change.

Fat Orthex
Hoppy shoots you from the bushes before disappears south out of LoS. See the above two spoilers with your name.

Play on. :smallsmile:

Tanaric
2009-11-05, 01:51 PM
Kil'ak, round 2

Refs:Creatures with scent pinpoint if the smell is within 5 feet. Let me know if the mount pinpoints a scent.

AC moves: U-13 > W-13 > W-10 > Y-10

MS: [roll0]

Other dog either continues north or stays where it is, barking, depending on whether you decide its orders were carried out.

Not done, need LoS.

Psionic Dog
2009-11-06, 08:33 PM
High Ref PsiDog

@Refs
[roll0]
If a mount pinpoints a creature, does the rider know where the pinpointed creature is? This LoS check was made with the assumption that the rider does not, partially since it's easier to give gladiators more information that to delete stuff they shouldn't have known.

Hoppy
You hear footsteps move east from the still barking dog to a point south of you before turning to move north toward you.

Otherwise, same as previous LoS.

Kil'ak
No LoS.
When you reach W-10 your mount pinpoints a creature.

The Dog is still barking per it's last instructions.

Snake
See previous LoS check

Fat Orthex
See previous LoS check

Tanaric
2009-11-06, 11:12 PM
Refs:Where does it pinpont a creature? That's kind of important. :smalltongue: If I can know that it smells something, and know which way it smells something if it took a move action to do so, why can't I know where it pinpoints something?

Edit: To save time, if there's a reason you're not telling me that I'm not supposed to know (although I'd still like clarification on the subject if so), the dog will continue to X-10, then Y-10. As soon as it fails to pinpoint something at either of those locations, it will reverse direction 5 feet and I'll resume my turn from there.

Edit2: If I miss a target that's hiding in a hedge square with a spell that doesn't require an attack roll, does the spell hit the hedge instead?

Sallera
2009-11-06, 11:58 PM
Refs:We'll go with yes on this one, I think. Since they're within 5ft, direction suffices to show the location, so if they can tell direction, the same cues should indicate the location of a pinpointed creature.

Ki'lak:The pinpointed target is in X9. And no, I don't believe it would hit the hedge, logical as that may be, in the event that you actually found some way of targeting a creature you can't see with a spell that doesn't require an attack roll. :smalltongue:

Tanaric
2009-11-07, 12:07 AM
Refs:Hm. Very well. This leaves me with surprisingly few options...

Continuing the actions...Free action (auto-pass DC) to handle AC to disarm the pinpointed creature.

Opposed attack roll: [roll0]
Concealment: [roll1] Miss on 1.

If he's holding his bow or shuriken, his roll comes with a -4 penalty. If he's using his gauntlets, the disarm attempt auto fails. If the disarm attempt is successful, the AC now holds his weapon in its mouth.

Still not done. :smallredface:

Tanaric
2009-11-07, 12:11 AM
And again.

Kil'ak takes a standard action to cast Shield from the scroll, sharing it with his AC, then attempts a fast dismount into W-9, where he drops the scroll as a free action.

Ride check (DC 20): [roll0]

If fail, I still end up in W-9, but without a move action remaining.

Move Silently: [roll1]

Edit: Done. Apologies for the page spam.

AC: 24/15/20
Position: W-9
Effects: Invisibility 2/30, Shield 1/10

Dog (Companion):
Pos: W-10
Effects: Shield 1/10

Dog (Normal):

Notes: Kil'ak is invisible. Dog 2 is wearing chainmail barding and a riding saddle. AC is wearing a riding saddle.

Mavian
2009-11-07, 05:57 PM
Snake - Round 2

Move Action: D17 to E18
Hide Check: [roll0]

End of Turn

Stats:

Pos: E18
Hide Check: 46

Psionic Dog
2009-11-08, 04:01 PM
High Ref PsiDog

@Refs
Most of that stuff is quiet but the spell casing is loudish.
[roll0] -11 distance -2 pillar = -3 fail
[roll1] -3 distance = 8, simple success

If Kil'ak dismounts into W-9 then he gets bumped backwards prone as he tries to end in an illegal location.

Hoppy
You see a formally invisible ridding dog appear in W-10 as it attacks the hedge square you're in. It misses.

This is followed by spellcasting from an invisible rider on it's back, which you then hear dismount to your east.

You continue to hear barking from T-13.

Kil'ak
There appears to have been a typo by the last ref: the pinpointed creature was in W-9.

I'm assuming you meant for the dog to attack W-9 instead, and you may chose a different location to dismount to if you choose.

EDIT: LoS:
Your Animal Companion becomes visible after it attacks.
You see Fat Orthex in X-4 after you dismount.

Snake
No LoS. The dog barking is still continuing off somewhere to the east.

Fat Orthex
You hear speech to the south. The Dog barking to the south-west still continues.

Need a clarification from Kil'ak

EDIT: Thanky LoS has been updated. Play on. :smallsmile:

Tanaric
2009-11-08, 07:33 PM
Refs:Dismount into X-9 instead.

Mavian
2009-11-08, 10:22 PM
Just a note:

As per this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7277337&postcount=1465) in the waiting room. SoD has withdrawn from all matches.

RPGAgmJAY
2009-11-09, 08:35 AM
Hoppy - Round 3

Movement will likely take me in and out of some of your LoS. I'll post it in a ref spoiler and allow them to dictate what you do and do not see.

Refs:

Full round action: Withdraw from W9 to R4, then into Q5.
Move silently: [roll1]

Done.

Stats:

Hoppy
Psionic Focus
Neraph Camo (unused)

Psionic Dog
2009-11-09, 01:58 PM
Just a note:

As per this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7277337&postcount=1465) in the waiting room. SoD has withdrawn from all matches.

Ah right. Those you with LoS to Fat Orthex see the fat wizard get struck by Ref Lightning.

Refs
[roll0]

Hoppy
You pass a ridding dog in T-13 that's barking at you.

When you reach Q-5 you break LoS and the barking stops.
No LoS

Kil'ak
You see Hoppy break cover and withdraw to V-8 and onward to the North-West, breaking LoS as he continues out S-5.

Your barking dog also stops barking.

Snake
No LoS.
The dog barking finaly stops.

Tanaric
2009-11-11, 12:07 AM
Oh, it's my turn, isn't it? :smallredface:

Kil'ak, round 2

Move action to remount the AC. AC moves to U-10. Kil'ak uses a move action to Handle Animal on the normal riding dog, telling it to attack any enemy it sees. DC 10: [roll0]

Note that, despite all logic, Handle Animal makes no mention of needing the animal to see you or hear you, so Kil'ak attempts this in silence.

AC then continues to U-5.

Hide: [roll1]
MS: [roll2]

Does it smell anything?

Done.

AC: 24/15/20
Position: U-5, mounted
Effects: Invisibility 3/30, Shield 2/10

Dog (Companion):
Pos: U-5
Effects: Shield 2/10

Dog (Normal):

Notes: Kil'ak is invisible. Dog 2 is wearing chainmail barding and a riding saddle. AC is wearing a riding saddle.

Mavian
2009-11-12, 03:41 AM
Snake - Round 3

No Action

End of Turn

Stats:

Pos: E18
Hide Check: 46

RPGAgmJAY
2009-11-12, 10:16 AM
Hoppy - Round 4

LoS & Refs:

Double Move Action: Q5 to P6 to H6 to H5, keeping close to the hedge in hopes of hiding as he goes.
Move Silently: [roll1]

Done.

Stats:

Hoppy
Psionic Focus
Neraph Camo (unused)

Psionic Dog
2009-11-12, 11:37 AM
High Ref PsiDog

Hold up,

Clarification required from Kil'ak
Interesting interpretation, but no.

Handle an Animal: This task involves commanding an animal to perform a task or trick...

The key phrase here is "Commanding". Commanding requires having some method of conveying information. Precedent has established that while the master may issue any command he/she sees fit, the target animal must be able to receive (see, hear, etc) the command in order to be commanded. By not explicitly limiting the command to auditory or visual commands the passage leaves open other methods of communicating such as telepathy.

So while technically spending a move action to push an animal (issue a command) while invisible and silent would be a legal action, the animal would have no way of receiving the command (unless you were telepathic or such) and thus could not be commanded.

Second,
You animal companion starts to smell something starting at T-8. Does that change anything?

Tanaric
2009-11-12, 12:51 PM
Refs:I'll forgo the move action to handle the other dog, and continue with my path. Might use that move action for something else if I saw anything, though.

Edit: Will use the remaining action to ready an action to fire a KFB at anyone who shows up in LoS/LoE.

Mavian
2009-11-14, 03:28 AM
Just making sure we don't fade into oblivion... what we waiting for?

Tanaric
2009-11-14, 03:31 AM
No idea. The LoS check can be finished whenever.

RPGAgmJAY
2009-11-14, 09:25 AM
My Round 4 is done. Whoever goes after me is up unless there is some delay. Hard to tell what is or is not resolved from your posts because of spoilers.

Tanaric
2009-11-16, 03:43 PM
I'm waiting on LoS, if that wasn't obvious.

RPGAgmJAY
2009-11-16, 04:13 PM
I'm waiting on LoS, if that wasn't obvious.

It was not. Hopefully a ref will get in here and get the LoS done soon.

Tanaric
2009-11-16, 04:14 PM

Okay. :smallconfused:

I also asked for LoS several times in the waiting room. I do hope you weren't really trying to get me zapped with ref lightning.

RPGAgmJAY
2009-11-16, 04:52 PM
You only get lightning if you haven't posted within time-limits. Look back over the posts, and it seems like the ref- 'hold-up' was resolved.

Just making sure we don't fade into oblivion... what we waiting for?
Mavian asked the question and this was your response:

If a ref asked me what the hold-up was and I was waiting on a LoS, I would have said "Ooo... I DO know what the hold-up is. I need a LoS."

I saw the LoS requests on the Waiting Room which made me assume that it wasn't your turn and you were trying to resolve it before it was your turn. In the end I just wanted the hold-up resolved and it looked like ref lightning might have been warranted.

Stop getting snappy. No posts for 2 days from anyone. With no-one claiming to need a ref call before going. You even had a ref directly ask and you answered with a negative. "No idea." I figured someone fell off the face of the earth and needed to be hit with lightning. That someone was either you or the other guy... my turn was completed and I'm pretty sure I don't get to go twice in 1 round.

Tanaric
2009-11-16, 05:02 PM
...Excuse me? Mavian's a participant, not a ref for this match. PsiDog asked me a question that would have had an effect on LoS, and I answered it. Every other time I've done that this match, he's provided LoS after.

My answer of " no idea [what else needs to be done]. The LoS check can be finished whenever." doesn't make sense in that context?

Anyhow, it's my turn next as far as I can tell, and you asked for ref lightning/whatever in the waiting room. It [I]should have been very obvious that I was waiting on LoS.

The second comment was unduly snarky, though. I blame it on massive DMing headaches. Sorry.

Psionic Dog
2009-11-17, 06:47 AM
High Ref PsiDog

We appear to be experiencing a ref shortage.
Standby: LoS coming Soon posted.

Refs:
[roll0]

Hoppy
You see two ridding dogs. The first (the same that tried attacking you earlier) moves through the hedge and up to U-9.

The second (the one that was barking) moves north back into LoS and starts barking again when it reaches T-10.

No other LoS

Kil'ak
It seems the last ref here forgot to make a spot check. When you ride though the hedge to say, U-9, you see Hoppy in Q-5

Snake
The barking dog starts barking again.
No LoS

Still Kil'ak's turn.

Tanaric
2009-11-17, 06:46 PM
I believe that's actually a rewind to the middle of my round 3 turn, judging by what's where, so...

Kil'ak, round 3 cont.

LoS/Hoppy:No sense doing anything other than what's worked thus far.

KFB to the face, for [roll0] fire damage, reflex DC 16 for half. Need to see results before I finish movement of the mount.

Kil'ak appears on the back of the riding dog in Q-9, by the way.

Not done.

RPGAgmJAY
2009-11-17, 08:38 PM
Tanaric & Refs:

Only 6 hp, dead either way.

Tanaric
2009-11-17, 08:41 PM
Alright.

I can't hope to find Mavian with his hide mod, my dogs can't track him by scent, and he'll be able to snipe and take my KFBs at his leisure.

To speed this up, Mavian, you win, I'll take second. Stupid Darkstalker. :smalltongue:

Mavian
2009-11-17, 11:33 PM
Darkstalker is just plain awesome. One of the best feats there is if you wanna hide.

I accept you deal. I'll go grab a ref.

Although it would've been fun to hit you with your own KFB, especially since I get to cast it with all your mods attached :smallbiggrin:

Tanaric
2009-11-17, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I know. I was hoping to avoid the shame. :smalltongue:

Psionic Dog
2009-11-18, 07:21 AM
High Ref PsiDog

Match Call!
1st: Snake + 1st place round champion bonus
2nd: Kil'ak + 2nd place round runner-up bonus
3rd: Hoppy
4th: Fat Orthex

Everyone may now may collect their assorted winnings.