PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Intelligent (/"Awakened") Animals...

Zovc
2009-11-01, 03:34 PM
Do intelligent animals (with class levels) make good recurring characters? What about merchants?

Are there rules for enhancing natural weapons? Are there weapons designed for animals to use?

Eldariel
2009-11-01, 03:45 PM
Do intelligent animals (with class levels) make good recurring characters? What about merchants?

Only creatures with arms make any sense as merchants; a quadroped has incredible issues with handling wares. Outside some casters anyways, but chances are those would not become merchants (though Gloves of Man [Savage Species] would probably enable any race to perform the necessary manipulation).

That said, recurring NPCs? Sure. No more or less than any other race, though they should probably be more rare (depending on how common your Druids are and how exactly Awakening is viewed), especially since I don't think their progeny would be intelligent.

Are there rules for enhancing natural weapons? Are there weapons designed for animals to use?

No rules for simple enhancing of natural weapons beyond Permanencied Greater Magic Fang of a given level. That said, some classes (notably Kensai off the top of my head) enhance them, and items (Necklace of Natural Weapons [Savage Species] and the Amulet of Mighty Fists [damn expensive]) to do it exist.

Weapons... Savage Species has some for non-standard races, but for intelligent animals? No, though primates could use Humanoid weapons just fine. You'd have to homebrew these if you see them using some kinds of weapons; though may be some standard weapons could reasonably be wieldable with some work for non-standard races.

Johel
2009-11-01, 03:48 PM

Well...
http://www.squarepalace.com/imgs/som/personnages/chacha.png

Cieyrin
2009-11-01, 03:56 PM
Awakened Animals can certainly make excellent characters for a game, especially as servants and allies of powerful druids and the fey. I know in Eberron that there's an awakened pine tree druid that is a figure of influence among the druids, who leads the Warden of the Woods sect.

I'm not so sure about Awakened Animals being good merchants, given that they only gain a little Charisma from Awaken and they tend to have lowish scores. I rather doubt they'd care enough, either, as even awakened animals don't really seem to put much value in coin and at best barter for services.

For weapons and enhancements, there's a couple Dragons that had animal weaponry but I can't think of any real nonmagical enhancement otherwise. For actually enhancing, the two ways of thinking on that is either via the amulet of mighty fists or the amulet of natural weapons. Mighty Fists is actually cheaper than Natural Weapons if you have a great number of natural weapons to enhance, though that only covers base enhancements, not special abilities, which the Amulet of Natural Weapons can provide.

EDIT: Checking Savage Species again, they do have the Tail Blade and Tail Club, but that's about it. Draconomicon and Dragon Magic have a couple of other magic items for enhancing natural attacks, like Claws of the Ripper, Dragonslayer Claws, Jaws of the Dragon and Tailbands of Impact. Only the Claws of the Ripper specify being of the Dragon type, so you can work with the rest and work the others out with some UMD.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Volkov
2009-11-01, 04:29 PM
Well there's on thing for sure. An Awakened Max hit dice Tyrannosaurus Rex is freaking awesome.

Dogmantra
2009-11-01, 04:30 PM
Well there's on thing for sure. An Awakened Max hit dice Tyrannosaurus Rex is freaking awesome.

Only if he thinks that every day is a beautiful day to be stomping on things.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-01, 04:34 PM
Why not the savage species anthromorphic template that grants them hands to hold stuff instead of awaken...

Volkov
2009-11-01, 04:34 PM
Only if he thinks that every day is a beautiful day to be stomping on things.

I am guessing you are referencing the dinosaur web-comic. That particular T-rex had a +5 bonus to his mental stats from wish spells, and a awakened spell. :smalltongue:

Eldariel
2009-11-01, 04:39 PM
Why not the savage species anthromorphic template that grants them hands to hold stuff instead of awaken...

Because some actually want intelligent animals than intelligent humanoids that remotely resemble an animal? Just a guess. I don't particularly care for the Anthropomorphics, for one, but find Awakened animals natural.

Volkov
2009-11-01, 04:40 PM
When you see an epic level black scale lizard folk druid riding a max hit dice awakened tyrannosaurus rex that is his animal companion. Then it is time to run because the crap has hit the metaphorical fan and splattered all over the ceiling.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-01, 04:42 PM

I just rolled to see what Intelligence one should have if I made one, and got a 18.

Dinosaur Wizards. :smallamused:

Now where's that Headband of Intelligence....

Volkov
2009-11-01, 04:45 PM
Dinosaur wizards, might as well just give up now while your head's still attached to your shoulder's villains.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-01, 04:46 PM
Screw the bear cavalry, we have Wizard Dinosaur Cavalry! :smallamused:

Damn, now I want to see a build involving a Wizard-Dino as a mount.

Volkov
2009-11-01, 04:48 PM
Hundreds of thousands of microraptor wizards on a Amphicoelias, that's right, we just one upped the Mumakil.

Berserk Monk
2009-11-01, 04:58 PM
I want to know if it's possible to play one.

Volkov
2009-11-01, 04:59 PM
I want to know if it's possible to play one.

Probably yes. No one will mess with a fricken Utahraptor wizard, cleric, or druid, heck even a Utahraptor fighter would be as scary as hell.

Eldariel
2009-11-01, 04:59 PM
Probably yes. No one will mess with a fricken Utahraptor wizard, cleric, or druid, heck even a Utahraptor fighter would be as scary as hell.

We had that Campaign Diary of a Velociraptor Swordsage here at some point...

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-01, 05:02 PM

Well, not a Wizard if you rolled well enough on Int, but most animals don't have enough Wisdom to be epic* Druids or Clerics, and they don't gain any from awakening.

Then again, Periapt of Wisdom.

*That's epic awesome, not epic level. :smalltongue:

Are there any good ACFs for Druids that lose Wild Shape? You don't really need it when you're a dinosaur. :smalltongue:

Volkov
2009-11-01, 05:04 PM
Well, not a Wizard if you rolled well enough on Int, but most animals don't have enough Wisdom to be epic Druids or Clerics, and they don't gain any from awakening.

Then again, Periapt of Wisdom.

Or Wish spells.

Volkov
2009-11-01, 05:05 PM
A Utahraptor druid could have some really awesome fights with a druid in dire bear form. Of course, it's sort of mandatory to end the fight by sticking your one and a half foot long killing claw through the bear's neck, thus partially decapitating it. Or better yet, through his skull.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-01, 05:08 PM
Or Wish spells.

True...

I feel we're derailing this thread a bit much. Should we start a different thread for this awesome idea? :smallcool:

Sir_Elderberry
2009-11-01, 07:48 PM
*That's epic awesome, not epic level.
Uh. You're playing as a DINOSAUR. There's no way that won't be epic.

Kelb_Panthera
2009-11-02, 01:22 AM
For the weapons thing, the necklace of natural attacks has already been mentioned. Lords of Madness has the mouth pick enhancement. Any weapon you like to replace your critter's bite :smallbiggrin:

KitTheOdd
2009-11-02, 10:47 AM
My current PC's cohort is an Awakened Magebred Warbeast Riding Dog. With 4 levels of Monk. Lots of fun. But a very long name. :)

Awakened Magebred Warbeast Riding Dog Monk 4
STR 22
DEX 18
CON 20
INT 8
WIS 14
CHA 8

HP 99
Init +8
AC 24
Speed 60'

Fort 13
Ref 12 (evasion)
Will 7

BAB +6/1

Bite +13 1d8+10 (Trip attack as wolf - 1d20+7)
Paws(flurry) +11/+11/+6 1d8+6

Still Mind
Ki Strike (magic)

Feats:
Alertness, Track, Imp. Natural Attack, Imp. Init., Power Attack, Leap Attack, Stunning Fist 5x (DC 16), Combat Reflexes

Jump +30
Listen +11
Spot +6
Swim +7
Survival +2 (bonus for scent)

Items: Collar of mighty paws (+1) [renamed Amulet of Mighty Fists], Bracers of armor (+2)

Blackfang108
2009-11-02, 11:03 AM
For the weapons thing, the necklace of natural attacks has already been mentioned. Lords of Madness has the mouth pick enhancement. Any weapon you like to replace your critter's bite :smallbiggrin:

For the price of a +1 enhancement!

Get yours Today!

If you order now, we'll include a gallon of Oxi-clean, to get the blood of your foes out of your fur or off of your scales, free of charge!

Dimers
2009-11-02, 11:44 PM
Do intelligent animals (with class levels) make good recurring characters?

I like to awaken an animal companion sinultaneous with taking the Leadership feat, and make it my cohort. That makes a great recurring character.

My opinion on your question: If your campaign setting is naturalistic, spiritual, or low-magic, intelligent animals are a good choice. Only a few make sense in an urban setting without upsetting suspension of disbelief (maybe cats and rats), and with high magic, talking animals can be common enough that the character's special attribute becomes just a gimmick.

Radiun
2009-11-03, 12:01 AM
...most animals don't have enough Wisdom to be epic* Druids or Clerics
Even an average cat has 12 wisdom.
Doesn't that mean a +2 to wisdom for player characters, who roll stats to be exceptional?
Or am I thinking of 3.0?

Kylarra
2009-11-03, 12:04 AM
Even an average cat has 12 wisdom.
Doesn't that mean a +2 to wisdom for player characters, who roll stats to be exceptional?
Or am I thinking of 3.0?No that'd be technically correct.

taltamir
2009-11-03, 12:05 AM
maximized empowered awaken... 27 in all mental stats :)

Kylarra
2009-11-03, 12:11 AM
maximized empowered awaken... 27 in all mental stats :)Nope. 18+3D6/2 Intelligence, 3+1D3/2 = +4 CHA and that's it.

Lycanthromancer
2009-11-03, 12:23 AM
We had that Campaign Diary of a Velociraptor Swordsage here at some point...

It was here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4954014#post4954014). I was hoping he'd get back into it, but unfortunately not. :smallfrown:

taltamir
2009-11-03, 12:26 AM
Nope. 18+3D6/2 Intelligence, 3+1D3/2 = +4 CHA and that's it.

Awaken cast on a tree

And I thought they would stack this way... still, 18+3d6/2 is nice and high... its 19 to 27 in every mental stat instead of flat out 27.

Kylarra
2009-11-03, 12:29 AM
Awaken cast on a tree
still "only" 3D6/2 + 18.

taltamir
2009-11-03, 12:31 AM
still "only" 3D6/2 + 18.

ok, so 19 to 27 instead of flat out 27... still very nice starting scores :)

Kylarra
2009-11-03, 12:34 AM
ok, so 19 to 27 instead of flat out 27... still very nice starting scores :)Sure, if you don't mind playing an animated object.

Cieyrin
2009-11-03, 11:38 AM
Sure, if you don't mind playing an animated object.

I honestly don't think I'd mind being an awakened Twig Wizard, really...:smallbiggrin:

Kylarra
2009-11-03, 11:41 AM
I honestly don't think I'd mind being an awakened Twig Wizard, really...:smallbiggrin:Presumably you mean sapling, since a twig wouldn't count as a tree by any stretch of reasonable imagination. :smalltongue:

Fluffles
2009-11-03, 12:49 PM
I'm actually playing in an Awakened Animals game, and I'm a Brown Bear grappler. Homebrewed LA type thing, no RHD. Really fun to play :)

Stegyre
2009-11-03, 01:19 PM
Presumably you mean sapling, since a twig wouldn't count as a tree by any stretch of reasonable imagination. :smalltongue:Cast Awaken (maximized, etc.) on a staff made of living wood (ECS).

Good times.