PDA

View Full Version : E6 Tippyverse

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-01, 06:12 PM
E6 (spy it here) (http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/206323-e6-game-inside-d-d.html) is a low-powered version of D&D, using the first six levels. Brings the game closer to life, vaguely. But there's still magic - and consequently, society is liable to be quite different. So, I had the idea to make a "tippyverse" using magic traps and all those wonders.

Premises:
The peasantry have 1 NPC level.
People with 2 NPC levels or 1 PC level are above average, but not terribly uncommon.
People with 3 NPC levels or 2 PC levels are rare, but prevalent in history; the elite of their time
People with 4-5 NPC levels or 3-4 PC levels are exceedingly rare - the great figures of history.
People above that are mythical in stature.

The typical magic trap factory is a monastery-type setup, led by an Adept 3 with Craft Wondrous Item, and with various lower-level adepts, wizards, clerics, et cetera.
So 1st-level traps are common, 2nd-level traps are great societal masterpieces, and 3rd-level traps are the stuff of legend (sort of like the Fountain of Youth, possibly)

How would this magic prevalence change society?

Ideas:
Endure Elements trap (settlement made easier)
Create Water trap (free clean water forever)
Psionic Minor Creation trap (seems a bit limited at 1 hour, but is likely useful)
Cure Light Wounds trap (effects on war?)

Johel
2009-11-01, 07:01 PM
Food conservation and Cooking :
Prestidigitation, Gentle Repose, Create Water, Purify Food and Drink, Ray of Frost, Create Food and Water, Neutralize Poison, Plant Growth

Communication and Travel :
Mount, Whispering Wind, Message, Expeditious Retreat, Animal Messenger, Longstrider, Phantom Steed, Fly, Water Breathing, Water Walk, Animate Dead

Mechanical power and unskilled workforce :
Prestidigitation, Unseen Servant, Create Water, Mount, Bull’s Strength, Mage Hand, Floating Disk, Alter Self, Animate Dead, Prayer

Medicine and Sanitation
Lesser Restoration, Cure Minor Wounds, Endure Elements, Detect Poison, Delay Poison, Neutralize Poison, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Remove Disease, Prayer, Dominate Animal

Public services and skilled workforce :
Continual Flame, Magic Mouth, Prestidigitation, Create Water, Alter Self, Fox’s Cunning, Mending, Make Whole, Owl’s Wisdom, Soften Earth and Stone, Warp Wood, Wood Shape, Prayer, Stone Shape,

Justice
Zone of Truth, Augury, Inflict Minor Wounds, Detect Thoughts, Speak with Plants, Speak with Dead, Speak with Animals

Military
Speak with Animals, Charm Animal, Dominate Animal, Summon Nature’s Ally III, Summon Monster III, Animate Dead, Glyph of Warding

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-01, 07:10 PM
I'm not entirely clear on how magic traps work. Would a trap of augury or prestidigitation work? Those are personal, so wouldn't they affect the trap or something?

Starbuck_II
2009-11-01, 07:11 PM
I'm not entirely clear on how magic traps work. Would a trap of augury or prestidigitation work? Those are personal, so wouldn't they affect the trap or something?

Prestigidation isn't personal technically. If you read the spell it cleans stuff instanteously.
It stays clean till dirtied again (dirty humans).

Augury...you got me.

Johel
2009-11-01, 07:18 PM
Shall I rubb off the "personal" spells, then ?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-01, 07:24 PM
No need; all your wonderful examples are Core only and can quickly and easily be researched in a handy online SrD.

If I plan to actually run a game in this place, what sources should I allow? Sourcebooks might add more spells to the mix; and having something like a binder would create new possibilities.

Randel
2009-11-01, 09:48 PM
Also:

Dancing Lights - set up a trap or device of it on top of a castle or lighthouse. It sends the lights upwards to a spot that can be seen for miles. Adjust the device to make the image change from round to round to send out a semaphore message to other watchtowers in the area. Its kind of like the Klack Towers from discworld or an emergency signal.

True Strike - set one of these obscenely cheap traps at the top of your tower to help defend your castle. Get your best archer (or grenader) up there and let him fire off impossibly effective shots every round. Great for snotty rich nobles who want to look awesome and just have flocks of birds set loose in front of their 'favorite shooting range' so they can nail them all in the eye with their combat impractical ornamental bow. You can imagine a siege going on where some aristocrate wants to look like a hero and just sits in the True Strike zone firing off bolts from his crossbow, hands them to his servants who reload them while he just picks up the loaded one as a free action, does some trick shot that magically always hits, and occasionally sips from a glass of fine wine while in battle (probably also has some sort of shielding magic so that he doesn't risk getting nailed in the face with an arrow while he sticks with impractically expensive garments).

Magic Missile - Similar to the True Strike one, but its a statue whos deadly magic always hits it enemy despite armor or evasion. Only a shield spell can defend against it.

Feather Fall - Set at the bottom of a cliff or cavern. Those who take the 'leap of faith' will gently float to the bottom of the pit (the trap is located near the bottom and casts it on people who fall past).