PDA

View Full Version : The Endless Dungeon - Re-Train

Tyndmyr
2009-11-01, 07:40 PM
http://travislerol.com/D&D/Starting.jpg

You awaken in the center of a 10ft by 15ft room with stone walls, ceilings, and floors. A torch is burning on the wall behind you, while the other three walls have closed, metal doors with brackets allowing you to bar them from the inside. Unfortunately, only two metal rods are lying on the floor.

hustlertwo
2009-11-01, 07:48 PM
R.T. starts with his Guisarme in his off-hand. He then uses the two bars to barricade the doors in I-2 and K-2 (assuming these are the right coordinates), and backs up against the wall in J-1, shifting the guisarme to a two-handed grip while he bangs the weapon loudly against the stone floor.

Warriors....come out to playyy.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-01, 08:03 PM
*chuckle* I like your style.

You've got the coordinates right, I just trimmed to avoid showing too much. =)

A short, empty calm lasts for a split second after the banging ceases, only to be replaced by the sound of hurrying footsteps. Sounds of creatures unsuccessfully trying to enter the north door shortly precede the east door being slammed open by a burly looking, armed orc.

hustlertwo
2009-11-01, 08:08 PM
Initiative roll, I guess: [roll0]

Can I see what the orc is armed with?

And just for quickness, I'll go ahead and put my attack roll (crossing of fingers commences). Don't know if I got an AoO yet, but if so, you can use this for that instead.

[roll1] [roll2]

Boo!

Stats:

HP: 13
AC: 17
Position: J-1
Equipped: Guisarme
Berserker Strength activates at 4 HP

Tyndmyr
2009-11-01, 08:20 PM
My apologies, I should have noted his weapon. He's carrying a Falchion, and yes, you get an AoO has he bursts in.

His init roll: [roll0]

HP: 5
AC: 13
Position: J-2

hustlertwo
2009-11-01, 08:24 PM
OK, the AoO was in the toilet, but at least I get first go.

Free: Drop Guisarme
Standard: Punch the ugly mother right in his fat gob.

[roll0] [roll1]

And that, as they say, was that. Improved Unarmed Strike already begins to make itself worthwhile.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-01, 08:30 PM
The orc drops like a rock, and lies still on the floor, though still breathing.

+150 xp
Loot
-----
+30 PP
A black pearl worth 200 GP(the dice liked you here..I cheated and started using physical dice cause it's faster)
Oh, and falchion, of course.

hustlertwo
2009-11-01, 08:39 PM
Breathing? Not for long. Better to kill one enemy than wound ten.

Coup de Grace

[roll0]

What are PP? You'll have to forgive me, I've never really done the looting thing before. Mostly just an Arena D&D player, no books or anything.

After that, I will move out into the hallway where the orc came from.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-01, 08:44 PM
Platinum pieces. Rolled a 98 on the loot table twice, once for money, once for gems. =)

You peer down a long, gloomy, empty hallway, with half a dozen mouldering wooden doors, all alike, along it's length. The one closest to you on the right is ajar.

http://travislerol.com/D&D/CenterDoor.jpg

hustlertwo
2009-11-01, 08:53 PM
Ah, so those are like 10 gp per platinum, right? So 300 gp and a 200 gp gem...if I can live long enough to find a trader, I'm sitting pretty. Could get a nice everlasting torch, for one. Not to mention more efficient stabbity things.

Drace goes into the room the orc obviously came from and looks around.

Oh, and Drace leaves the falchion; he'd like to keep it, but he's darn near overloaded already.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-01, 09:18 PM
Oh yeah, get to someone able to sell stuff, and you're in business.

It's a 10 by 10 featureless stone room. You see a simple wooden chest on the floor, apparently the orc was here to guard it.

hustlertwo
2009-11-01, 09:21 PM
Although it likely won't do much good if there's a trap, Train will take the total defense action before he opens the chest.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-01, 09:31 PM
Wise move, but luckily, it does not contain a trap.

It does contain 60 gold pieces and four flasks of holy water.

hustlertwo
2009-11-01, 09:46 PM
R.T. takes the holy water and tosses one of his pouches of sling bullets into the chest, closing the lid.

Take a penny, leave a penny.

R.T. also wonders why the orc was concerned about guarding 60 gold when he had riches amounting to almost ten times that much on his person.

He then enters the next room over, guisarme at the ready.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-01, 09:59 PM
Long have the orcs struggled to master the fine art of finance, and alas, this one was not to change their lot.

After looting, you enter an oddly shaped room, with three more wooden doors leading elsewhere, and a battle axe wielding gnoll(L6) who looks as if he means to keep you from going elsewhere.

http://travislerol.com/D&D/CenterRight.jpg

Gnoll Init: [roll0]

hustlertwo
2009-11-01, 10:40 PM
Init: [roll0]

I get the feeling the Unreactive flaw was a bad call. I've figured one of the reasons I've had so much success in Arena is that I wasn't tied down by thinking about character creation in campaign terms. But obviously what goes around comes around.

If I'm going first, I ready an action to attack with my guisarme if the gnoll comes within range. If not, well, then I'll go after he does, won't I?

Tyndmyr
2009-11-01, 10:50 PM
No dex bonus for him, so you've got your readied action. Naturally, the gnoll lunges at you, so take your AoO!

hustlertwo
2009-11-01, 10:57 PM
Oh, it goes by Dex mod and not initiative mod? Nice. I guess I get a readied action attack and an AoO.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Tyndmyr
2009-11-01, 11:23 PM
I believe that's the case....if not...oh well. It's not like it comes up often.

You dropped him to exactly 0 HP, so he collapses on the ground, unable to act further this turn. Your go.

hustlertwo
2009-11-01, 11:40 PM
I'm assuming that means the exertion knocked him into the negs. Let me expedite his transition into the next world.

CdG to insta-kill, since minimum damage is 14.

A little unsure about how the coordinates are right now, but I'll take the door in the N row, that doubles back to right behind the room I was in with the treasure chest.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-02, 12:16 AM
M3: In the center of a particularily messy 15ft by 15ft room, you see two zombie kobolds feasting on the remains of one of their brethren. Also, there's a wooden door on the far side.

Init:
[roll0]
[roll1]

hustlertwo
2009-11-02, 12:25 AM
Bollocks, just looked up zombies, and obviously they are not going to be very concerned by my guisarme. As soon as I have a turn, I'll have to switch it out.

[roll0]

So where am I, and where are they?

Edit: Wait...that's right, DR/whatever means that's what they're weak to. So the guisarme is actually a good thing. Although I'll go ahead and try to splatter their ass with a holy water once I can, I imagine.

hustlertwo
2009-11-02, 12:29 AM
Oh, and I guess I get the XP and stuff from the gnoll after these guys, as they're part of the same encounter or whatever?

Tyndmyr
2009-11-02, 12:29 AM
http://travislerol.com/D&D/SWQuadrant.jpg

They come torward you, but only one makes it to attack, given their natural slow and clumsy gait.

Attack with Slam:[roll0]

Tyndmyr
2009-11-02, 12:31 AM
My bad on the Gnoll, they're separate.

+300 XP
-Loot-
50 SP
Jeweled Electrum Ring worth 3000 GP(again, hot loot dice, wow)

hustlertwo
2009-11-02, 12:39 AM
Attack's a miss due to 17 AC. Wouldn't I get an AoO with the guisarme? Also...wow on the loot. Does the ring do anything aside from provide me with mad duckets upon resell?

This is presumably the AoO: [roll0] [roll1]

If it's a hit, then I'll do my turn from there.

OK, if I didn't have an AoO, I 5 foot step away to put the closest one in range and hit them with that attack. If I did, then I'll do my turn after I find out if they survived 11 damage.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-02, 10:12 AM
Yeah, you get an AoO. They still have their spears, but I figured Id try one of their other attacks for variety. He looks pretty beat up after that hit, but he's still moving.

As for the loot, no in-game effect, just the ability to sell for mucho coin once you hit civilization.

hustlertwo
2009-11-02, 11:30 AM
OK, cool, just seeing if Electrum was some kind of magic ring thing. I know there's piles of those lying around D&D land as well.

For his turn, R.T. 5 foot steps back whatever way is away from the guy who just attacked him, and he tries to finish him off.

[roll0] [roll1]

Don't quite know who is where (the picture you showed must have been for someone else, because I entered from the other side, the room with three doors that had the gnoll, with the door in...N-5 I believe being the one I used to find Zombieland), but if cover is an issue, I'll probably change my action accordingly, like withdrawing or something. Or I'll attack the other one, assuming he's within range. I guess we'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

If it's brains you seek, I'm afraid I ain't much more than an appetizer.

hustlertwo
2009-11-02, 08:35 PM
Dang. I forgot about my newfound holy rollin' weapons. And that 13 is probably a miss (I saw normal kobold AC is like 15, hoping that maybe zombies have less, but I kinda doubt it), but wouldn't have been on a touch attack. I'll have to go for it next round.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-02, 10:26 PM
No worries on location, I've just been re-using maps like a psycho, and wasn't paying attention to where the icon was.

As for the hitting, zombie kobolds are easier to peg, with a 13 AC, so he goes down hard. Ah, the bennies of using a slashing weapon.

I would guess you're in N-7 or thereabouts, given opening the door, them coming torward you, and your 5ft adjust.

The other zombie is going to shamble torward you, provoking an AoO, then swinging with his spear.

If he stays up, his attack:
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

hustlertwo
2009-11-02, 10:35 PM
My lucky day on the rolls.

AoO: [roll0] [roll1]

If it hits and he remains up, or if it misses, I'll probably hop back 5 feet, snag a holy water flask, and chuck it at him (shifting guisarme to off-hand, and then back to two hands after flask is thrown). If the AoO offs him, well obviously I won't do that, and will just CdG one of them instead and instantly kill it (again).

[roll2] vs. Touch [roll3] +1 splash damage on the guy on the floor, I guess.

hustlertwo
2009-11-02, 11:45 PM
Bit backwards, but at least some damage was done. Not to mention the guy on the floor feels a little worse. I assume despite their lack of full round actions, zombies can still 5 foot and attack? So I will have to try and sweat that out before I can have another shot at the bugger with my guisarme.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-03, 12:26 AM
They can...they can also attack once as part of a charge action(which I need to be more precise about specifying when I do that...been sloppy there). It's the complex movement+attack that they fail at.

The swing has no effect, but the holy water certainly does. He comes at you again(feel free to AoO), and swings with the spear.

Attack: [roll0]

hustlertwo
2009-11-03, 06:41 AM
I wouldn't get an AoO if he does a 5 foot step. So I'll assume that's what he did and just go as normal. If it was charging for whatever reason (like that is its default attack or something) then I'll add the AoO after getting confirmation (and if he survives).

R.T. 5 foot steps back again and attacks!

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tyndmyr
2009-11-03, 10:02 PM
5 ft step it is, since I believe he lacked room to charge, so good call.

Rinse and repeat: Attack:[roll0]

Tyndmyr
2009-11-03, 10:03 PM
Spear damage: [roll0]

hustlertwo
2009-11-03, 10:09 PM
18 is a hit. R.T. takes....zero damage. Bladeproof Skin woo!

Had a run of crummy luck. If this doesn't break it, I'll be forced to withdraw. How sad.

Free: Drop Guisarme
Move: Draw Greataxe (no AoO for drawing, just so you know)
Standard: Smack this bitch up.

[roll0] [roll1]

Still not a good roll...but good enough. Plus the holy water damage, I have to think he'd be toast. Assuming so, I CdG both zombies, do some looting (being sure not to forget the guy who was the zombie Happy Meal), and pick up and re-equip my guisarme, stowing the greataxe again. Then I go back into the three door room where I fought the gnoll and take the southeast door.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-03, 11:03 PM
Your assumption was correct, he goes down hard.

+300 XP
+20 Silver Pieces

Roll a spot check for the new room.

hustlertwo
2009-11-03, 11:05 PM
Nice XP. I might have to go back to the original room soon and fight the guys I skipped for the possibility of leveling up. Crap for treasure, though.

[roll0]

Lame.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-03, 11:23 PM
Thems the downsides to random loot. However...speaking of XP...

Your keen eyes look into a a plain stone room, rougher than the rest, with no light at all. A metal door on the far side opens to the east. You note a bugbear in the far corner of the room(M11), but don't overlook the swarm of small spiders peering at you from countless beady eyes(N9) nearby.

http://travislerol.com/D&D/HustlersPath.jpg

Init:
Bugbear: [roll0]

Spider Swarm: [roll1]

hustlertwo
2009-11-03, 11:32 PM
[roll0]

Spider swarms are nasty, apparently. Might be time for a new tactic.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-03, 11:39 PM
The bugbear reacts first, hurling one of his three javelin at you.

Atk: [roll0]
Dmg: [roll1]

The spiders act next, sizing you up as more convenient, and tastier food that the bugbear. Not having reach, they of course provoke an AoO as they scamper into your square.

Attack: [roll2]
Dmg: [roll3] + DC 11 fort Sv poison, if they live, and connect.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-03, 11:40 PM
Addendum, if the AoO doesn't take them down, take a DC11 fort save or be nauseated, due to starting in a square with a swarm.

Definitely nasty buggers.

hustlertwo
2009-11-03, 11:58 PM
Balls, a ranged fighter and me with my hands full.

AoO: [roll0] [roll1]

hustlertwo
2009-11-03, 11:59 PM
If that's a miss...

Fort save:

[roll0]

And if I end up nauseated, I'm taking my move action to GTFO. Specifically, moving back to the original room I started in, or as close to it as I can get with 50 move speed (probably pretty close). AoO presumably incurred when I move, not sure with guys this small.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-04, 12:01 AM
AC 17, so unfortunately yes. You begin your round nauseated, but can still take a move action.

The effect only lasts one round, and be aware that spiders can only move 20 ft.

hustlertwo
2009-11-04, 12:07 AM
Edited my actions into my last post. I move back to J-1, leaving the door open so I have a clear line of sight with the hallway I just moved through.

hustlertwo
2009-11-04, 12:23 AM
No, scratch that, just noticed that apparently spider swarms are immune to weapon damage (it's under their special qualities). Meaning I was apparently tossed an enemy I cannot defeat, since Barbarians kinda have to use weapons to fight (even my unarmed strike would count as a weapon, I presume, though I wouldn't use that anyhow, not enough damage). So I'll go ahead and post my next turn now (since they can't reach me in time): I'm closing and barring the J door with the bar from the southern door in the starting room. I'm also hoping it isn't necessary for me to go that way; if so, I don't know what I can do.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-04, 12:49 AM
Nah, there are a variety of possible ways through, there isn't any one particular encounter that you have to face(good thing because some, like the spiders, get rolled up randomly). I hadn't noticed the immune to weapon damage myself, not expecting any ability that powerful on a CR 1 mob. I would allow you to attack them unarmed on the basis that squishing spiders by stepping on them and the like is *definitely* possible.

Regardless, the door has no cracks around it, and it's metal. You hear lots of noises for a while outside the door, then it goes quiet again.

hustlertwo
2009-11-04, 01:06 AM
Nah, it'd take a minimum of two hits, barring a crit, all the while they could poison me and I have no way to counter it. I could die in any fight, but that one it seems more likely than most. Shame, I was looking forward to tackling the Bugaboo.

In any case, quiet is bad. I think we need more action, preferably of a non-spidery sort. R.T. now takes the bar from the northern door (unless I still hear noise behind it, but it seems like they would have quieted by now), puts it on the southern one, then switches weapons to his flail, moves to I-1, and bangs on the floor once more.

Caaaannn you dig it?

After which he readies an action to attack any enemy who enters his melee range.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-04, 01:17 AM
There's a slight pause, followed by the door being pushed open a crack, and a humanoid sized, beady eye appearing in the flickering torchlight at about waist level in the crack, followed by some whispering in a strange language.

hustlertwo
2009-11-04, 06:36 AM
R.T. will resist the urge to poke the eye and say "Hey Moe!", waiting until he has an actual target in melee (in other words, until the enemy's in here and does not have cover)

Tyndmyr
2009-11-09, 09:16 PM
After another pause, and some hushed whispering, they make up their collective mind. The door bursts open, and three spear armed kobolds swarm through. In the dim, flickering light of the fire, you can see another one moving about in the depths of the other room.

After your readied action, and AoO vs them running up to you, we'll do init.

hustlertwo
2009-11-09, 09:27 PM
Hope you're feeling better, Tynd.

Readied action on first available kobold: [roll0] [roll1]
AoO either on that kobold or, if the first attack hit, a second one: [roll2] [roll3]

Thelas
2009-11-11, 07:13 AM
First attack misses, second drops him.
Init:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2] -- other room one
(If you didn't know, I'm now helping DM this)

hustlertwo
2009-11-11, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I saw. Seems like a good arrangement.

Init:[roll0]

Thelas
2009-11-11, 12:59 PM
The one in the other room moves closer and readies an action.
The one nearest you moves to within reach of you and readies an action.
The other one moves to a flanking position, possibly eating an AoO, and readies an action.
Then the flankers will simultaneously attack, and the other one's action goes off too.
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
[roll4][roll5] (this is the other room one, using a sling.)

hustlertwo
2009-11-11, 01:02 PM
Don't know which one is the AoO guy, hopefully the one with the crit.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Since the crit can't kill me, I'll go ahead and take my turn, attacking whichever enemy I can that's within range.

[roll2]
[roll3]

Unless this is some kind of mutant kobold, not bothering with the crit confirm, that's one dead dino.

Thelas
2009-11-11, 01:04 PM
Crit confirm:
[roll0] [roll1]

Thelas
2009-11-11, 01:06 PM
The AoO is not the crit guy, but it doesn't matter, because you missed on it.

Then the crit guy's dead.

Other spear and sling:
[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]
Go.

hustlertwo
2009-11-11, 01:17 PM
Crit is confirmed. And the 21 was also a hit. But since they were using spears, R.T. takes no damage.

Flail on the remaining melee combatant:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tyndmyr
2009-11-13, 02:41 AM
Definitely feeling better. =)

He goes down hard.

+300 XP for the group.

Loot: 1000 CP

hustlertwo
2009-11-13, 06:33 AM
Actually, the one with the sling is still alive.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-14, 11:12 PM
Ah, good call. You'll get that after the slinger dies, then. =)

Sling:[roll0]
Dmg:[roll1]

hustlertwo
2009-11-14, 11:28 PM
Charging the slinger:

[roll0]
[roll1]

hustlertwo
2009-11-14, 11:53 PM
lame. But thanks for the update, Tynd.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-15, 12:20 AM
No prob.

Dropping his sling and pulling out a spear, the kobold changes to the tactics that worked SO well for his comrades.

Atk:
[roll0]

Dmg:
[roll1]

hustlertwo
2009-11-15, 12:49 AM
R.T. shifts his flail to his off hand and aims to knock the kobold's block off with a fist to da face.

[roll0]
[roll1]

OK, now I think I get the XP and the loot. Pushing me to level 2, whenever I get a chance to go up. Assuming this is the case, I go into the northern hallway from the starting room where all this just happened and investigate the first room I come upon, continuing to do so until I either find an item or treasure of some sort, an enemy or enemies, or something else of interest. Just seems like a quicker way to do it than room by room, given your packed update schedule.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-15, 12:58 AM
That you do. Level up happens immediately, but all chargable abilities(spells, power points etc) gained are treated as empty until you've rested for the night.

Edit: BTW, the kobold you punched is unconscious, not dead, just as an FYI.

Aright, nothing found in the room where the kobolds were, save for the obvious stuff already mentioned. Given that there's only one door in this room(to the north), I presume that's the next thing you investigate.

You enter a 10ft by 10ft room, with a spear wielding Kobold(A2) guarding a chest(A1). Since you're expecting trouble for obvious reasons, and he heard...unpleasant things happening to kobolds in the next room, neither of you surprise the other.

hustlertwo
2009-11-15, 08:23 AM
Technically, none of the kobolds would be dead, I guess, but they're presumably bleeding out, or stable and not getting up for hours. As a Barbarian, I don't have any of those kinds of abilities, so I'll go ahead and level up like normal, I guess.

Thelas
2009-11-16, 11:05 AM
The kobold doesn't really have much to do.
He charges.
[roll0][roll1]

hustlertwo
2009-11-16, 11:38 AM
I guess since I'm now level 2, I'm not caught flatfooted by the attack, so it misses. Not that it matters, it's 0 damage regardless.

R.T. responds by trying to punch the kobold in his little kobolds.

[roll0] (nice to have that extra attack bonus)
[roll1]

Thelas
2009-11-16, 12:10 PM
The fallen has kobolded.
XP: 75
Loot: there's a chest. I don't believe there's anything else.

hustlertwo
2009-11-16, 12:18 PM
That's fine, no shortage of cash. I just want some bloody potions. My luck won't hold out forever.

R.T. assumes a total defense stance and opens the chest (always pays to be cautious).

Thelas
2009-11-16, 12:50 PM
Looking into the chest, you see 20 gp and a potion of CLW.

hustlertwo
2009-11-16, 01:01 PM
Fortuitous! What's the map look like now? If possible I'd like to continue on through this hallway, since I sure don't want to go back where the invincible swarm is.

Thelas
2009-11-16, 01:36 PM
It's an end that is dead.

hustlertwo
2009-11-16, 02:19 PM
Crud. Well, I guess I go back to the starting room, unbar the south door, and head through there. Anything's better than invincible poison swarms.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-18, 01:30 AM
This is most definitely true. To the south!

Once you open the door, you see a short, narrow, unlit, hallway, five feet in width, and twenty in length. Just over halfway down, a door leads to the left, while at the end, another door leads straight ahead.

hustlertwo
2009-11-18, 12:11 PM
I'll crack one of my Sunrods and stick it in my belt, not like I can't buy a pile of them at the end of this floor (if there is such a thing). R.T. then takes the door going to the left, because he so loves to explore.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-20, 02:06 AM
In a particularily messy 15ft by 15ft room, you see two zombie kobolds feasting on the remains of one of their brethren. There is a door on the far side of the room. Due to their focus on their delicious meal, you get the advantage of surprise.

hustlertwo
2009-11-20, 06:34 AM
I already killed the zombie kobolds. I'm guessing that door must connect to that room, then. So obviously I will go to the room at the far end of the hall instead, not going anywhere else in this direction, that way lies spiders.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-21, 03:00 AM
Ah, gotcha. My bad, you then see the same room, all empty and happy. =)

As you open the door at the far end of the hall, the following sight greets your eyes.

In the center of a 15ft square dark room, an lone kobold is standing, wearing nothing but a floppy cloth hat, which bears the word "Sorrc" on it. You also note another wooden door in the center of the east wall. You appear to have taken him by surprise.

hustlertwo
2009-11-21, 03:12 AM
Interesting. I should be willing to try diplomacy on this kobold, attempt to gain an ally.

I don't.

Charge!

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tyndmyr
2009-11-21, 03:24 AM
lol.

Missed him, so time for init. [roll0]

hustlertwo
2009-11-21, 03:28 AM
That's pretty much an auto-fail for me. I'm 10 feet away from him, guisarme in hand.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-21, 03:37 AM
He 5ft adjusts away from you, then you see him cast something as he turns to face you.

Back to you.

hustlertwo
2009-11-21, 03:39 AM
Attack:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tyndmyr
2009-11-21, 03:50 AM
Unfortunately, his buff didn't help *that* much.

He drops.

+300 XP

Loot: 70 GP, one(1) floppy hat.

hustlertwo
2009-11-21, 04:21 AM
R.T. puts the hat on at a jaunty angle, collects the loot, and continues through the next door.

300 xp for one kobold? What was he?

Tyndmyr
2009-11-21, 04:31 AM
Sorcerer =). Yeah, some of these mobs have class levels, ups the CR a bit. That particular guy, after the buff round, basically just keeps moving away and casting magic missile. Could be pretty dangerous.

Next door, eh? You open the door in R3, and enter a 15ft by 15ft room, with two Orcs inside(S1, Q6). There is a door on the far side. You appear to have surprised them.

hustlertwo
2009-11-21, 04:37 AM
OK, does that mean the one in S1 is in my range? It seems like it.

Attack: [roll0]
[roll1]

And then 5 foot step back out of the room, don't know the specific coordinates.

Thelas
2009-11-23, 05:26 PM
If you don't have 10 ft reach somehow, he wasn't.
Not like it mattered, because you missed.
One will move to in front of the doorway, the other moves over and tries to hit you with falchion.
[roll0]
[roll1]

hustlertwo
2009-11-23, 06:04 PM
I do have 10 foot reach, equipped with a guisarme.

I'll assume an AoO was induced...

[roll0]

[roll1]

And then I will 5 foot back and attack the one who missed me.

[roll2]
[roll3]

If the AoO killed him, this attack is against the other schmuck instead, and I moved accordingly.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-24, 12:28 AM
An AoO would indeed be provoked. Reach is great that way. =) You cut them both down with ease.

+300 XP.

Loot on the bodies: 60GP, Chain Shirt(value: 100 GP)

hustlertwo
2009-11-24, 12:34 AM
Can't take the armor, nowhere near enough weight capacity available. But no matter, I'm already wearing one, and I don't need the money for selling it.

R.T. now takes the door on the far side of the formerly orc-filled room.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-26, 09:08 AM
Looking inside room P7, you see a grand hall with high, arched ceilings. It's twenty by twenty feet in size, but the ceiling appears to be a solid forty feet high, and decorated with dwarfish stonecarvings. Unfortunately, the room also appears to have four orcs relaxing in the center(Q8, Q9, R8, R9). All are carrying falchions, but the furthest one(R9) appears to have a torch crudely fastened to the haft of his falchion, casting a dim, flickering light over the scene. Two doors are visible in the far wall, one on the north side, one on the south

Surprise round for you, then init.

Init:
[roll0](q8, then so forth in the list)
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

hustlertwo
2009-11-26, 09:55 AM
Well, if I can survive this, I'll probably be able to survive anything...

For my surprise turn, ready action to attack anyone who comes in range, taking a 5 foot step to ptu them there if necessary.

Init:

[roll0]

Tyndmyr
2009-11-26, 10:32 AM
Oh, they'll be comin your way, so may as well take an AoO against the first one, from Q8. He doesn't have the distance to charge, so it's just a normal attack.

hustlertwo
2009-11-26, 12:14 PM
First, the AoO:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Then, if he's still up, the readied action:

[roll2]
[roll3]

And if the first one kills 'em, I imagine I'll get a chance to tag someone with the second (on the off chance both hit). This may be where my luck turns, we'll have to see.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-27, 05:40 PM
I'm afraid neither hits their AC of 13, even with the charge modification.

I'm presuming you're still standing just outside the doorway, as it wasn't necessary to adjust to get your attacks off.

This leaves only two orcs able to strike you, and you gain +4AC against the one offset to the side, due to the difficulty of striking you through the door. His charge will partially offset that, though. The other two orcs are directly behind the front two.

Falchion: [roll0] -Orc directly in front of you.
[roll1]

Falchion: [roll2] -Orc offset, and charging.
[roll3]

hustlertwo
2009-11-27, 07:31 PM
How lucky. The offset one would have hit, but the +4 saves me.

Once again I 5 foot (I don't know where specifically, kinda doing fuzzy moves since I haven't seen a map for a bit), and strike whichever one I can hit clearly.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tyndmyr
2009-11-28, 01:04 PM
Presumably backward, since that's the only way available. Let's get a map in here...Orcs are in lower right room. You're in Q5.

http://travislerol.com/D&D/CaldensPath.jpg

One moves through the door, then left, to R6. Take an AoO on him if you wish. If it misses, he swings with a falchion.
[roll0]

The other orc moves around through the doorway into Q6, also provoking an AoO, if you have combat reflexes, before swinging.

[roll2]
Dmg: [roll3]

hustlertwo
2009-11-28, 02:02 PM
No Combat Reflexes, so just one AoO (don't care on who, whoever I can hit clearly):

[roll0]
[roll1]

And that's a map for the upper area, actually. Doesn't go past L, so I'm still a bit in the dark. But while I don't know where I'll move on my turn, obviously I will be attacking regardless, so here's the roll:

[roll2]
[roll3]

Thelas
2009-11-28, 04:53 PM
The AoO misses, but your atack on your turn drops the first, so as the second 5-ft adjusts into the first's place and tries to cut your head off with a falchion.

[roll0] [roll1]

hustlertwo
2009-11-28, 04:55 PM
I'll 5 foot...elsewhere, and attack the remaining bugaboo.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Unless they have 8 or more HP, I guess that leaves just the other two orcs back in the room, then.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-04, 12:00 AM
He stabs, he scores!

Assuming you're still level 1, you get 900 XP, and for loot, you find a solid gold idol of an orcish warrior(val 600GP), and an requisite silver brush probably looted from some unfortunate passerby(Val 800 GP) on the bodies.

hustlertwo
2009-12-04, 11:58 AM
I'm level 2, actually. And weren't there two more of them still in the room?

Tyndmyr
2009-12-07, 11:39 PM
Counting failure on my part. The loot I rolled is what you'll get once you slaughter them all then.

You get an AoO on the one that has to take a move action to get to you, the second one gets to you via a five foot adjust.

hustlertwo
2009-12-07, 11:44 PM
AoO: [roll0]
[roll1]

Then on my turn (assuming that it is, not sure, but I'll likely do this whenever it is, so no real change), I 5 foot back and attack, attack, attack!

[roll2]
[roll3]

So, how much XP will I get for offing the four of them since I'm level 2 already?

Tyndmyr
2009-12-11, 01:56 AM
AoO misses, so then the two swing at you.

[roll0]

[roll2]

Your turn takes place here, ending one of them.

The survivor adjusts to you, and takes another swing.

[roll4]
Dmg: [roll5]

XP award for winning is the same...looks like they don't start shrinking until you hit 4th level. 900xp ain't bad, though it is a pretty brutal encounter.

hustlertwo
2009-12-11, 01:57 PM
I really should have planned for getting cleave. But no matter. I believe I finally take damage, for the first time since starting the dungeon. 7 HP off for me (Bladeproof Skin).

5 foot back again, attack again.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Thelas
2009-12-11, 03:20 PM
Did someone say 900 XP?
I think someone said 900 XP.
And treasure... *gets out dice*
2800 silvers.

hustlertwo
2009-12-11, 04:49 PM
Actually, Tynd already rolled up my loot, a couple of trinkets with a high price tag. I'm seriously set if I can get out of this floor...assuming, of course, that the floor ends at some point. That's still theoretical, I suppose.

hustlertwo
2009-12-11, 04:59 PM
Anyhow, R.T. will bask in his victory, then quaff the lone healing potion he's carrying, because there's no sense to be careless.

[roll0] restored.

Then if possible, I'd like to see a map, so I can figure out where to go.

17/20 HP right now.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-14, 11:15 PM
http://travislerol.com/D&D/StaySouth.jpg

The floor does indeed end...eventually. I'd say if you take the optimal path to the nearest exit, you're slightly past the half way point. That said, there are multiple exits, and the layout is pretty packed and sprawling.

Oh, the largest room on the bottom is the one the four orcs were in.

hustlertwo
2009-12-14, 11:24 PM
OK, I'll take the lower exit from the orc room, since the upper one looks to lead back to the areas I checked out from the middle door in the starting room.

17/20 HP

Tyndmyr
2009-12-14, 11:27 PM
A 10ft wide hallway, lit by a torch, held in the offhand of an orc wearing fullplate, with a longsword in his right. A door is at the far end, but unfortunately, the orc is standing directly in front of it(R13). On the bright side, he appears to be alone. He appears to have heard you coming, so neither of you have surprise.

hustlertwo
2009-12-15, 06:20 PM
Ah, this one likely has an actual class, instead of one of the NPC ones. Should be interesting.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-20, 09:39 PM
He thumps his chest, then points at you, bellowing threateningly, before charging you.

Attack Roll: [roll0]

hustlertwo
2009-12-23, 02:29 PM
The usual, then.

[roll1]

Then 5 foot back and [roll2] [roll3]

New page reminder: 17/20 HP

Tyndmyr
2010-01-03, 02:42 PM
The AoO glances off his armor, but the second attack connects, causing him significant damage.

He 5ft adjusts to you, and swings again.

Attack Roll: [roll0]

hustlertwo
2010-01-03, 05:05 PM
That's a miss for him.

5 foot back, attack

[roll0]

[roll1]

Tyndmyr
2010-01-04, 12:02 AM
He goes down hard, a confused look on his face...

You gain 600 Xp, and upon searching the body, you locate 300 GP, 2 flasks of alchemist's fire, as well as a longsword, a suit of fullplate, and a lit torch.

hustlertwo
2010-01-04, 12:41 AM
R.T. takes the money and alchemist's fire, leaving the weapon and armor due to weight constraints, and the torch because he has a Sunrod in his belt. He then continues down the hall, and opens the door at the other end.

Oh, what's my health now, 24/27?

Tyndmyr
2010-01-04, 07:16 PM
That sounds about right.

The 10 ft wide/tall hallway continues 20 feet to the east, and has the familiar battered wooden doors leading both to the east and north. Square S16 has a small, rusty metal chest attached to the floor.

In square R 16, a badger growls at you as you enter.

hustlertwo
2010-01-04, 10:02 PM
I can't beat that init roll. Looks like the critter gets first go.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-05, 07:30 PM
He charges at you, and takes a swipe with his claw at you.

Claw:[roll0]

hustlertwo
2010-01-05, 09:40 PM
The usual, then.

Damage: [roll1]

Then 5 foot back to attack.

[roll2]
[roll3]

Tyndmyr
2010-01-05, 09:42 PM
Your second blow flattens him abruptly, ending the fight.

+150 XP.

On a completely random note, I just realized this is currently the oldest surviving character, cool.

hustlertwo
2010-01-05, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I was the second in, but I saw #1 bit it a while back. R.T. assumes Total Defense, switches his guisarme to his off hand, and opens the chest. And to keep things moving, after that he will unbar the door to the east and go through. Unless whatever was in the chest was something to equip, in which case I'll make that call as it comes up.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-05, 09:47 PM
Yeah, lost quite a few immediately after too...not a lot still going out of that first batch.

You just have time to realize the chest is locked before the scything blade trap triggers, swinging perilously close to you.

Trap Atk:[roll0]

hustlertwo
2010-01-05, 09:57 PM
T.D. wasn't necessary, but glad I did it nonetheless.

Since I can't pick the lock, what are my options?

Tyndmyr
2010-01-05, 10:01 PM
Well, the lock looks rather weak and of poor quality, probably due to sitting in a poorly maintained dungeon for so long.

You can attempt to pick it(with improvised tools if necessary), but unless you've got at least a positive modifier from stats(especially with improvised tools), this is...dangerous.

You can also attempt to smash the lock, though doing this will likely also set off the trap again(you do see it visibly reset into the wall).

You can also attempt to physically break the chest free from the floor and take it elsewhere.

Or, of course, you can leave it be, or come up with something else based on items you might have(flask of acid in lock, etc).

hustlertwo
2010-01-05, 10:35 PM
Meh, I got loads of cash, but on the other hand, if there's healing in there it's hard to pass up. On the other other hand, it may damage me more than a potion would restore.

Screw it. I guess I can wait a bit and take 20 on a check to rip the chest out? Or does it have to be a straight Strength check?

Oh, and can't I attack the lock, or chest itself, from 10 feet away with my guisarme, thus keeping me away from the reach of the pendulum?

hustlertwo
2010-01-05, 10:49 PM
Oh, and thanks for all the updates lately, Tynd.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-06, 10:40 AM
No prob. And yeah, the trap is aimed at someone actually opening the chest. So, you can basically beat on the lock until it breaks from safety, since you have a reach weapon.

Might help, only having to take the one trap trigger to actually grab the loot.

hustlertwo
2010-01-06, 12:24 PM
Do I need to roll attacks on the lock, or can we just assume I'm going to break it and run from there?

Tyndmyr
2010-01-06, 12:29 PM
We can just assume it...you're going to get enough damage eventually, so no point actually making a ton of rolls.

I'll get to the fun bit of the attack roll for trap +loot rolls when I get home.

hustlertwo
2010-01-06, 12:33 PM
The trap gets another attack roll? I thought that was the point of the guisarme. In any case, no problem, I can wait. And then as soon as you do that, I guess you can go ahead and tell me what I see when I go through the eastern barred door, because I'll do that as soon as I collect my loot.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-06, 12:39 PM
Well, attempting to open the chest or fiddle with the lock triggers it. Smashing the lock off solves part of that, but Im not sure you could actually open a chest from 10 ft away with a reach weapon.

hustlertwo
2010-01-06, 01:15 PM
Ah, gotcha. Then I'll resume Total Defense then, to be on the safe side. Hopefully I don't get hit, but if it happens, so be it. Can't leave a chest unplundered.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-06, 11:54 PM
Trap attack: [roll0] -Take a bonus +2 AC vs this attack...standard favorable circumstances, due to you knowing exactly where the trap is.

The loot: 100 SP, MW thieves tools. Huh, ironic roll.

hustlertwo
2010-01-07, 12:09 AM
Crap, better roll damage, that's a hit even with all my defense boosts. At least it's slashing, so I'll get -3 to the damage. Still, definitely not worth the effort. Even with those tools I have no skills, and thus am not likely to be able to break into anything. But they're 1 pound, so I'll take them with.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 09:05 PM
Eh, at least they're worth a few coins. Given the level of locks this far into the dungeon, you've at least got a shot at picking stuff at the moment.

Anyhow, damage time: [roll0]

Edit: Eh, pretty trivial damage anyway.

hustlertwo
2010-01-07, 09:49 PM
I guess it's not so bad, then. 1 damage taken, new HP 23/27. Go ahead and tell me what's through the east door, then, I guess. We seem to be settled up here.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 10:16 PM
You see a 10ft by 10ft room with an earth elemental(S19) guarding a chest(R19). A small earth elemental, that is. You have surprise.

hustlertwo
2010-01-07, 10:31 PM
Now this is very interesting. Looks like a tough hombre, going by the SRD. Really want to at least get to floor 2 before I bite it...

Let's chuck a javelin at this mother. Lets me keep my AoO on the bugger.

Free to shift guisarme, move to draw a javelin (might combine this with a movement depending on where I am, if you can show me a map with it. Then standard to chuck it, and free to shift the guisarme back.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 10:48 PM
http://travislerol.com/D&D/Bottom.jpg

See the 10by 10 room waaay on the right? That's where you're at.

hustlertwo
2010-01-07, 10:53 PM
Oh, so he was right within my 10 foot reach already, assuming I'd be in S-17 after opening the door. Crap, then I would have hit him with the guisarme and then 5 footed out of his reach. Too late to do that instead? I'll keep the original roll and the miss, of course. Just this way I don't waste a javelin unnecessarily.

Init roll, if needed: [roll0]

Dammit...a bad sign. High init rolls are always a bad sign.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 10:56 PM
Absolutely. No point wasting ammo.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 10:59 PM
Ouch...high init roll that happened to be wasted.

The earth elemental will charge you then, with a slam. (remove 2 if you moved such that he can't charge).

Slam: [roll0]

This will most likely provoke an AoO, so take that before applying this roll.

Edit: heh, wasted my good roll on init. Guess winning init IS bad luck.

hustlertwo
2010-01-07, 11:09 PM
I'm 21-3 in the Arena, and I think all three of my losses came from times where I had a high Init roll.

Anyhow, the usual.

Damage: [roll1]

Gonna see what happens with that first. If I can kill him outright, so much the better, but if not, trip is always an option. Small means a -4 on his trip check mod, after all.

hustlertwo
2010-01-07, 11:11 PM
Geez, deja vu.

Screw it, let's attack again, after 5 foot stepping back as always.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Hit, but not killed, I suspect. At least now my options are greater.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-07, 11:39 PM
Close, but not quite.

He'll 5ft to you, and smack you again.

Slam: [roll0]

Eh, rolled wrong damage die, but I dont think it matters, tbh.

hustlertwo
2010-01-08, 12:12 AM
No, my AC is 17, so damage is irrelevant.

I'll shift the guisarme and try to bust this sumbitch in his rocks. Seem to have good luck with the unarmed strike finishers, plus it's just more fun to beat enemies to death with your bare hands. I'd play Monk, if they weren't worthless.

Unarmed: [roll0] [roll1]

Tyndmyr
2010-01-08, 12:19 AM
No joy...that said, yeah, punching people to death is usually awesome.

[roll0]

hustlertwo
2010-01-08, 01:28 AM
Hiii-yah!

[roll0]
[roll1]

If the SRD HP is right, another one just bit the dust. Tough bugger, but fortunately no damage taken.

hustlertwo
2010-01-09, 11:18 PM
Oh...I just remembered I'm at level 3. I probably should get a new feat then, I suppose. So letting you know that I went ahead and took Dodge.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-16, 09:21 PM
Yup, that'll down him. +300 xp, and 300 SP.

Dodge works...pretty common prereq.

hustlertwo
2010-01-16, 09:27 PM
Yeah, Spring Attack seems a good thing to work towards (will let me do something with that 50 move, right now it's useless), and Mobility is also useful. Anytime I'm against more than one foe, I'll be sure to say who is my dodge opponent.

I assume Total Defense and open the chest he guarded.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-16, 09:59 PM
No traps or locks, 2000 CP inside.

Yeah...dodge leads to a coupla good things. That said, I believe theres a few dodge-like feats to select from, all of which act as dodge for the purpose of satisfying prereqs. Dunno what they all are, but some swear by em.

hustlertwo
2010-01-16, 10:13 PM
I don't have any non-SRD sources, so I tend not to know about that stuff. Not a big deal, probably.

So basically 20 gp (I just convert it all to GP). Again, I have an embarassment of riches, yet not as much in the way of pragmatic finds like potions or things like that.

Oh, and I go on to the next room.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-16, 10:25 PM
Whatever makes it easiest to keep track of, long as you track weight. Copper be heavy.

Yeah, the difference between the dodges always struck me as rather minor, but some people always like to tweak.

This rooms a dead end, but the room back had a door north you haven't explored, that one?

hustlertwo
2010-01-16, 10:48 PM
What, really? We have to worry about money weight? OK, I was not aware of that.

And I'll go back to the north door, then, unbar it and go through.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-16, 10:52 PM
Not usually a big deal...you can lug it along after you clear rooms, for example. It's only an issue if you need to run or something, and have to drop it.

No bar on it(only the doors way back at the beginning were barred).

Room O15: A 15 foot long(N-S), 10ft wide room with wood inlaid on the floors, walls and ceiling, looks like it was quite expensively furnished...at least, before the ravages of time molded and damaged everything in here beyond repair. There are three doors in this room, one leading north, one west, and one south. No life is visible inside.

hustlertwo
2010-01-16, 10:53 PM
I assume the southern door is the one I came through, so we'll go north.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-16, 10:56 PM
That's correct.

I17: Large, cavernous room stretching 20 feet by 25 feet, dark save for flickering torches, one on each of the short walls. The room is empty. Two doors are visible to the south, one to the north, and one to the west.

hustlertwo
2010-01-16, 10:58 PM
We'll continue north. Really want to just end this floor already.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-16, 11:02 PM
You can see a grand total of two doors leading south, one door leading east, and two doors leading west. An ornate collumn is visible in G17, to which a dead, husk of a kobold is bound with a pair of manacles. You also note the presence of three stirges in the air.

http://travislerol.com/D&D/C15.jpg

Yeah, I can imagine...you've managed to kill off most of the floor so far.

hustlertwo
2010-01-16, 11:27 PM
The kill count is at 19 thus far. These stirges seem like bad news, not sure how to progress. Assuming the doors are all closed, save the one I came through...(if not, let me know, because I'm gonna run through it and slam it shut after me)

Move at half-speed to the lone eastern door, and then ready an action to attack if any enemy comes within reach.

hustlertwo
2010-01-16, 11:28 PM
Let's try some Move Silently, just in case: [roll0]

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 12:51 AM
Despite your attempts at stealth, they hear you, and begin to attack.

Init:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Being tiny, they will provoke while attacking, since they have to enter your square.

Oh yeah, all other doors are currently closed, it's your first time in this room.

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 10:15 AM

Ideally I want to go in between the group, to get more AoOs. Definitely not first, wastes that readied attack. Although then I could just escape...

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 10:17 AM
Cool, first stirge dives at you...provoking an AoO by moving into your square, and of course, also triggering your readied attack.

Edit: Second stirge will do the same, so you can split up attacks if you like.

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 10:34 AM
Well, they're identical, so I'll only split up attacks if my readied one lands.

Readied on Stirge 1: [roll0] [roll1]

AoO on 1, or 2 if the readied hits: [roll2] [roll3]

My turn will depend on what happened here. If one or both of the stirges manages to latch onto me, I will use a move action to open the east door I am standing beside, 5 foot step into the next room, and then another move to shut it. If, however, I killed both stirges, I'll go ahead and duke it out with the third as well, chuck a javelin at him or something.

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 10:36 AM
Damn...rotten luck, should've seen it coming with the high init. OK, I'm doing the escape thing on my turn. Go ahead and roll the attacks for the two that went before me.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 10:36 AM
Neither hits, so both attempt to latch on.

Attach: [roll0]
Attach: [roll1]

I'd allow both opening and shutting the door as part of the same move action, given that you're only actually moving five feet.

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 10:39 AM
Hit and a miss. So #1 gets the Con damage on me next turn, or does it start on this one?

And can I use that extra move action I would have to try and get this bugger off, then?

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 10:42 AM
Next turn, since they have to be attached at the start to deal con damage.

Well, move or standard. You can remove it via grappling by getting a pin on it, or you can just opt to beat it to death.

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 10:50 AM
That's an option? I can just punch the shnit out of it? I thought I had to grapple.

Oh, and is there anything in this new room that's a more concerning threat?

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 10:57 AM
Yeah, you can make unarmed attacks while in a grapple, and due to them being in a grapple, they have no dex bonus. It's probably one of the lesser known grappling rules that tend to get skimmed over. =)

Room description: You're in a fine, marble hall, 15 feet in length(E-W), and 10 feet in width. The years have also taken their toll on this place, as water has seeped unto the floor through cracks in the wall(C18, D18 count as difficult terrain due to slipperiness). You see a door to the south in D18, and of course, the door you entered from in D17. Additionally, there's a rusty chest fastened firmly to the wall in C19.

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 11:01 AM
Well, with no immediate threats, let's go ahead and do an unarmed strike (you're right, I was not aware of that rule, I thought you had to do a grapple check to deal unarmed damage).

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 11:02 AM
No joy, (FF of 12).

It'll happily begin to suck it's meal from you.

[roll0] Con damage.

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 11:07 AM
Let's try once more. Now I have to figure out how one goes about healing stat damage.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 11:12 AM
Rest is one way...I believe theres a few different magical ways as well.

Your blow strikes the bloodsucker solidly, squishing it messily, and you can then easily pry it's dead body off of you. You can still hear the frustrated screeches of the others on the far side of the door.

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 11:20 AM
I guess you have to kill them all to get XP, huh? Not worth the risk; -2 Con isn't that bad, but -10 or so could be.

I think we'll assume Total Defense and move at half-speed to the chest, assume Total Defense, and open.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I only award xp if everything ends up dead...tougher that way, but it avoids a few interesting abuses that are otherwise possible. Killing them all would cap out at a possible 10 con damage, since they flee once they get their 4 con drained....but yeah, that hurts.

You open the chest, triggering the burning hands trap on it, which burns you for [roll0] fire damage, DC 11 reflex for half.

Inside, you find 100 GP.

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 11:29 AM
[roll0]

Things are unraveling for me at last. Just want to get to floor 2 before the bad luck catches up.

Damage-wise, I'm at 19/27, but I guess I also lose three HP to my max for the Con damage. So 16/24, then?

Of course, it's 20HP, or 17, if I make the save.

With no other options, I take the door I did not come through.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 11:40 AM
You see a room, twenty feet in length....ten feet in width. No other doors out, and no monsters or chests inside. However, there's no wall on the left side, merely a chasm. Peering over, you estimate it's about 40ft down, and the wall leading downward has adequate footholds and handholds for a good climber to navigate(ie, DC15 climb check). Alternatively, there's a steep, smooth rock slide visible in H19 that will take you to the bottom.

The bottom appears to be flat stone, similar to that on which you now stand. Peering in either direction, you see other similar rock chutes, one on either side, quite some distance away. You also notice the lights of what appear to be civilization to the north.

Edit: Almost there. :smallwink:

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 12:01 PM
Hooray!

So, with the slide, would a tumble check be needed to reduce damage from the slide?

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 12:11 PM
Nah, it smooths out at the bottom, so the effective falling distance is only 10 feet, ie, not enough to take damage from.

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 12:15 PM
Well, then we'll just do that, no sense in risking it by climbing. Re-Train goes down the slide, with a wheee! and continues north towards the lights.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 12:37 PM
You hear an unsettling click as you reach the end of the slide, realizing you've triggered a pressure plate...but nothing happens. You feel relieved that you won't be the next person using the slide, at any rate.

The trip to town is uneventful, as this area is patrolled to keep it free of monsters, and the dwarven guards, while initially suspicious of you, given your orcish looks, allow you entrance provided you promise to behave.

Town: Underchasm
Size: Large
Population: 4,382 -95% dwarven, 2% human, 1% half-orc, 1% halfling, 1% other
Highest GP items automatically available: 3,000 GP.
Highest level spells automatically available: 2nd.
Hirelings available: Yes, dwarven.
Captain of Guard: 5th level Dwarven Warrior
Number of Guards: 43.
Total number of milita, in case of emergency: 215
Power Center Type: Magical
Alignment of power center: Lawful Good.

Highest level of each class, by type:
Adept: 4th
Aristocrat: 7th
Barbarian: 6th
Bard: 4th
Cleric: 5th
Commoner: 12th
Druid: 8th
Expert: 10th
Fighter: 7th
Monk: 5th
Paladin: 4th
Ranger: 4th
Rogue: 9th
Sorc: 6th
Warrior: 5th
Wizard: 7th

Unusual economic conditions: None.

On a side note, you can now start characters from this town at level 3, and of course, feel free to check out the layout of floor 1 in the forum in my sig, if you're curious about what you hit, what you missed, etc.

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 01:09 PM
Success! R.T., you've done well so far. We can forgive a minor bit of suckage with the stirges. Heck, I never even activated my big class ability.

So...hireable helpers, eh? That's intriguing. Any mages?

Oh, and it's time to sell my wad of stuff.

-Black Pearl (200 gp value)
-Jeweled Electrum Ring (3,000 gp value)
-Warrior Idol (600 gp value)
-Silver Brush (800 gp value)

So that'd be 4,600 gp value, or a bit more or less if shopkeepers have their own amounts they'd be willing to pay. Don't know if there's any checks I'm supposed to do here or not.

Once I find out how much total cash I have to work with, I'll decide what to buy. 3,000 gp max on goods available...I guess that means I can't buy and Gloves of Dexterity or other attribute-boosters. A Belt of Healing seems like a good call, though.

Edit: Darn, shame I missed the arrow trap room. Basically free treasure for me.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 01:17 PM
No checks necessary. By default, you can sell anything and everything at half value. Things like precious metals and jewels are essentially currency anyway, so you can swap them at full value, and you'll presumably carry any leftover wealth in platinum pieces or jewels to minimize weight issues.

So yeah, you've got a pretty good stash of money now, since those are all precious items.

3000GP is the maximum value of any one item that happens to be available at the moment. So, if you want a specific item made for you, and a caster in town exists with sufficient level to do so, you can have it made, you'll just need to spend a few extra gold staying in town waiting for it to be finished.

As for hiring helpers, you can hire anyone there at DMG standard rates, or, for the sorts of things not found in the DMG, use the SBG rates. You can hire dwarfs of any class listed as present above, but they do demand payment for the first month in advance, and they will also likely be LG, as that's the town alignment, with obvious variations for certain classes like barb.

For a caster, a level 1 PC classed caster charges 30Gp a month, and they come with an elite array and standard racial modifiers. You'll have to pay for any equipment you want them to use as well.

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 01:25 PM
Well, I gotta stay a couple days anyhow, to restore my Con damage and HP lost. So I'll have to see what I can get for my money (totalled with actual currency, I believe it makes for about 5,400 gp, though I won't spend it all in case I ever get hard up enough to backtrack and stay a few more days). What's the cost per day to hang about?

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 01:29 PM
Standard Phb prices...so, staying the night in a good inn is 2gp, and a days worth of good meals is 5sp. Not terribly expensive.

Oh, on a side note, you might want to find a half orc to act as an interpreter, at least while in town, since most dwarves don't speak orcish.

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 02:05 PM
R.T. walks into a tavern then, and shouts I have 2 silvers for the first person who can understand what I'm saying while still being able to translate into Common, and there's more where that came from.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 02:50 PM
Yeah, consider yourself good on interpreters. =)

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 03:36 PM
That's good, also allows me to round that pesky .2 off my money total.

Crap, was looking up the price for a guisarme so I could get a masterwork one and I remembered that I had intended to do a different level 3 feat, namely Spiked Chain proficiency. Gotta wait until level 4 to retrain, I assume?

5,574 gp is my current total. I know I'll buy either a MW guisarme or a MW chain, if you allow the retraining now, so that's 300 and change gone. Still deciding on where the rest will go (although I'll probably hire a follower or two, but that's a minor expenditure). Right now I'm leaning towards a Handy Haversack and then possibly some +1 armor or something.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 03:40 PM
I did say for someone else that they could delay retraining until they hit town, so it's only fair to extend the option to you as well.

Handy Haversacks are amazingly useful...consider the extra weight you'll be able to carry in loot...even a single set of fullplate is worth 1,500 retail, so the extra carrying capacity alone is great, and will likely at least partially pay for itself. I don't recall the last game in which I didn't get one.

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 04:00 PM
I didn't know anything about them, but I was looking over the wondrous items within my price range, and they do seem sweet. Plus, it's better than a pack animal or something, since the items are just as accessible as having them on your person. Move action, no AoO incurred.

And thanks, I'll get a MW chain then, and this way I don't have to mess with Dodge every time I'm fighting more than one enemy. Next feat might be Combat Reflexes, chains seem like they will allow for multiple AoOs at times.

So -325 for MW chain, -70 for 10 masterwork sling bullets (now that weight is not an issue, and -2000 for a Handy Haversack. I'll come back in a bit with my final buys and hires, then fast forward through enough rest to get back to 100% and it's on to floor 2.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 04:18 PM
Nifty, I gotta get cracking on sorting out everything on floor two then...it's an interesting floor.

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 05:10 PM
Oh, looked at my sheet, and had a realization....although it still said Water Orc, I actually am a human. Human stats, extra human feat, no water speed. So actually, no translator needed.

I really need to stay on top of these things.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-17, 07:26 PM
Heh, well that's handy, sorts out the communication and racial issues.

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 07:33 PM
Sorta. Although I do wonder if the extra feat was worth not having an extra +2 to Con and +4 to Strength. +9 to attack is tempting.

Still, it got me this far, so I'll stick with it.

hustlertwo
2010-01-17, 09:33 PM
OK, seems to be all set itemwise. Buying the sack, masterwork chain, +1 chain mail (nice to have a little more manuverability), and a belt of healing (I think it's from the Magic Item Compendium, has three charges of healing per day. 2d8 if you use 1, 3d8 for 2, or 4d8 if you burn all three at once. Never runs out, I believe. Did wonders for Train in the first match of round 79), and 10 masterwork sling bullets. Leaves 1,129 gp after all that. I guess I could hire a large party and basically have them run this dungeon for me, but I'm going to try to stay true to the nature of the solo exercise. However, to be safe I will be getting a cleric and a wizard to provide magical assistance when needed. I'm a nice boss, so I'll be paying them each 35 gp up front. The cleric can wear some of my hand-me-downs, namely my old chain mail. I guess both would come with free weapons, namely a club for the cleric and a quarterstaff for the wizard. Lastly, I'll snag a Delay Poison potion for 300, and a couple CLW potions for 100. So however long it'll be to rest up and get to full health and attribute scores, I'll wait that long (let me know how long it takes to restore 2 con points and 8 HP damage and I'll deduct that much from my finances), and then I shall depart with my little party and take on floor 2.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-20, 11:14 AM
Nifty!

You and the dwarves set off down what the dwarves tell you is rumored to be the way out.

It's a long, well guarded stone tunnel that's wide and brightly torchlit, off to the North. To the right, you see two very solid metal doors, well seperated from each other.

Which enterance to level 2 will you take?

hustlertwo
2010-01-20, 12:20 PM
So I'm choosing between the tunnel and the doors? If so, I choose the tunnel. If the tunnel is just taking me to the two doors, I'll just take whatever would be door #1. Oh, and do I also control my followers? Like I said, I intend to keep this stuff solo, so if I control them I'll have them hang back unless I call for assistance or they see me get critically injured (i.e. go into the negs), and if you control them then those are the orders R.T. is giving them.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-24, 11:31 AM
The tunnel simply takes you to the two doors, and doesn't appear to go anywhere else.

Looking in door #1, you see a long room, 15 ft wide, 15 ft high, with a low wall about 5ft high in the center of the room. On the far side, there's a raised area 10ft high(purple area on map).

You see what looks like a human with a longbow atop the raised area(I6), and two human zombies(J3, H3). Both of them are trying tirelessly to pursue the archer, but are restrained with chains connected to the side walls in J1 and H1 respectively. You have surprise.

http://travislerol.com/D&D/Floor2/H1.jpg

hustlertwo
2010-01-24, 11:56 AM
I guess I can hit the H3 zombie from where I am already, thanks to Mr. Spiked Chain. Almost said guisarme, forgot my new buy.

[roll0]
[roll1]

hustlertwo
2010-01-24, 11:57 AM
Nice! Crit on its first use.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Wow...that luck's so good it's actually a bit disturbing.

Tyndmyr
2010-02-01, 12:00 AM
Wow, yeah, he dies horribly.

Init:
Zombie: [roll0]
Archer: [roll1]

hustlertwo
2010-02-01, 11:32 AM
[roll0] Inititative

hustlertwo
2010-02-01, 11:36 AM
OK, I will move to H-3, attacking the J-3 zombie with my chain.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tyndmyr
2010-03-03, 09:50 PM
You hit, and do a fair bit of damage to him.

The archer retaliates, firing two arrows at you:
Shot #1[roll0]
Shot #2 [roll2]
-Note: has Precise Shot, so no bonus for being in melee.

The zombie five foot adjusts to I3, then attempts to slam you.

Slam: [roll4]
Dmg: [roll5]

Back to you.

hustlertwo
2010-03-03, 10:32 PM
Try again to kill zombie 2 (staying where I am to enjoy the inclusive nature of a spiked chain's reach), while shouting at the archer "Hey, putz! I thought I was saving you from these freaks. Show some respect or face the chain!"

[roll0]
[roll1]