PDA

View Full Version : The Sealed God [D&D 3.5]

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-01, 08:39 PM
You all, for whatever reason, have found yourselves in the largest city of the largest country on the continent.

Nobody really knows the name of the city, but if you just tell them "The Big City", they know what you're talking about.

The city itself has one store for everything, run by an old Human Shopkeeper, Gol Hamben.

One of you needs to be there doing something, the others can be doing whatever.

Silverraptor
2009-11-01, 08:43 PM
Silo wanders the shops and talks to strangers, asking about the town. Trying to hear of any corrupt or evil nobles or officials.

(Gather Information: [roll0])

The Blackbird
2009-11-01, 08:45 PM
Garl looks around, a wide grin going across his face at the prospect of all he could do here, he wanted to go to the shop to look at magic items and begin to inspect and possibly tinker with things.

But memories of him and his master doing such things returned to him, and he remembered why he was here.

But didn't know where to start.

He mutters to himself, "I guess I'll go to the shop anyway, everyone else seems to be there..."

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-01, 08:48 PM
Silo wanders the shops and talks to strangers, asking about the town. Trying to hear of any corrupt or evil nobles or officials.

(Gather Information: [roll0])

You get no real answers, mostly things such as "I don't trust the mayor... his goatee scares me..." and "The sheriff keeps yelling at me because I'm looking at those young ladies. He's gotta be evil." along with a few weird looks.

As you're in the shop, a Gnome enters, and the shopkeeper greets him.

Garl looks around, a wide grin going across his face at the prospect of all he could do here, he wanted to go to the shop to look at magic items and begin to inspect and possibly tinker with things.

But memories of him and his master doing such things returned to him, and he remembered why he was here.

But didn't know where to start.

He mutters to himself, "I guess I'll go to the shop anyway, everyone else seems to be there..."

(Assuming you did go:)

As you enter the shop, you see a few people browsing the goods. Weapons and baked goods are on the shelves in equal quantities, intermingling. And old man at the counter looks at you, the shop keeper. "Hello, my fine Gnomish friend, loking for anything in particular?"

Silverraptor
2009-11-01, 09:10 PM
Silo thinks to himself on how this was another waste of an information search. He wanders around the shop, looking at displays with no interest

The Blackbird
2009-11-01, 09:13 PM
Garl looks at the man for a moment, wondering if he would be able to help him. He decides that he can make up his mind about it later.

"Uh...No thanks, sir."

He walks away, and starts looking around the shop, interested in looking at any type of magic items.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-01, 09:15 PM
"Just make sure you tell me if you need anything, ok?" He turns to Silo. "And you, sir? Do you need anything?"

Silverraptor
2009-11-01, 09:34 PM
Oh, no. I'm just looking around.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-01, 09:41 PM
"Ah, very well then. Make sure you tell me if you need anything." He turns to leave, but stops and turns back to you. "Say... are you an adventurer? Or someone with the experience to help me out with a job, at least?"

The Blackbird
2009-11-01, 09:43 PM
Garl turns around at hearing this, excited.

"Ooh! I am." he raises his hand in the air.

Silverraptor
2009-11-01, 09:46 PM
That depends, what kind of job?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-01, 09:50 PM
"Recently, a member of my family died. He didn't have many worldly possessions, but one of the few he did have was our family's ancestral sword. It isn't magical or anything or the sort, simply sentimental. Anyway, as it was being delivered here, to me, it was stolen by a group of Kobolds, who have a den in the mountains to the east. I was wondering if you would retrieve it for me. I'd be willing to pay, of course."

Silverraptor
2009-11-01, 09:51 PM
Hmmm... He thinks it over. Sure, I'll do it. I've got nothing else to do at the time.

The Blackbird
2009-11-01, 09:53 PM
"I can help too. I'd be happy to help by using my magic for the benefit of others!"

Gorteyden would've smiled at him...

Garl also thought to himself, "Doing this adventure might be able to help me find out more about this place, and I can't really do anything else anyways..."

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-01, 09:58 PM
The shopkeeper smiles. "Thank you, kind adventurers. You'll be able to recognize my sword because of its odd coloration; its blade is colored purple and the hilt is white." He pulls a few vials off of the shelves. "I know how you adventurer types are always getting killed, so use these to keep yourself healthy, alright?" He hands you both a potion labeled with a white cross on a green field. "Whether you retrieve my sword through diplomacy or violence doesn't matter to me."

Silverraptor
2009-11-01, 10:13 PM
Fair enough. He accepts the vials. What is it by the way?

The Blackbird
2009-11-01, 10:15 PM
"A shiny copper piece says they're healing potions."

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-01, 10:18 PM
"You would be right. I believe the specific type is called "Cure Moderate Wounds"."

((2d8+4, that's what they heal. Also, I'm off to bed for tonight. See you all tomorrow))

Silverraptor
2009-11-02, 10:37 AM
Alright then, we'd better get going. Hey Gnome, you wouldn't by any chance be able to track would you?

The Blackbird
2009-11-02, 04:57 PM
Garl looks at Silo, "No...I can't, sorry.

Looks like we'll have to find someone good at tracking."

(You know, like a ranger!

Hint, hint.)

Silverraptor
2009-11-02, 08:01 PM
Garl looks at Silo, "No...I can't, sorry.

Looks like we'll have to find someone good at tracking."

(You know, like a ranger!

Hint, hint.)

(I know. Like I was setting us up to find her. Hint hint.:smalltongue:)

Hmmm... Well it seems we better go find one quickly then. He chuckles. We need to track a tracker. My name's Silo by the way, what's yours?

The Blackbird
2009-11-02, 08:03 PM
"I'm Garl...Except Garl Marsh, not Garl Glittergold. Don't get the two mixed up because, let me tell you, I'm no god."

NamonakiRei
2009-11-02, 08:04 PM
Reyka finds herself walking around the city after her latest trip. She walks around for a while, until she finds the shop. Thinking she could probably look around just in case she found something useful, she enters.

Silverraptor
2009-11-02, 08:06 PM
"I'm Garl...Except Garl Marsh, not Garl Glittergold. Don't get the two mixed up because, let me tell you, I'm no god."

Well, hello there Garl. He shakes the gnome's hand. I know you gnomes tend to like alot of names, but please don't list them all off to me. Now what we need to find is some kind of person who can track and knows the wilderness well. Do you know where we could possibly start looking?

The Blackbird
2009-11-02, 08:11 PM
"I...Don't know, I'm new to the area.

...Wanna try shouting "Hey, anyone here wanna track kobolds?" really loudly?"

He says this in a joking manner, of course.

(Though, I considered doing that.:smalltongue:)

AssassinKing
2009-11-02, 08:17 PM
Goat is looking for camping and food supplies and look at other stuff in general.Umm. I'm looking for camping and food supplies. Where could I find it?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-02, 08:21 PM
"Excuse me, sirs." Gol turns to Goat. "That depends on what exactly you're looking for. Food is over there..." he points in the direction of the bakery and butcher's section, "...and camping supplies would be over there," he points in the opposite direction. "Is there anything specific you wanted?" He notices Reyka. "Could you pardon me as well? He walks up to Reyka. "Hello, ma'am, is there anything I can help you with?"

AssassinKing
2009-11-02, 08:38 PM
I'm just looking for a tent and some food that would last me a while.

srry I keep changing I thought noone was gonna respond to the other lines

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-02, 09:09 PM
Gol turns back to Goat. "So... you have nothing to do right now? Would you be interested in assisting these two," he points to Garl and Silo, "in retrieving an ancestral sword of mine? I'd be willing to pay, of course." He turns back to Garl and Silo. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't ask your position in the matter. Do you mind if this man joins you?"

The Blackbird
2009-11-02, 09:12 PM
"I don't mind at all...Unless you have an irrational hatred for gnomes or something."

AssassinKing
2009-11-02, 09:12 PM
I would be more than happy to do good for you and no reward is nessessary for me.

Silverraptor
2009-11-02, 09:16 PM
Well... I don't really have a problem either. But can you track Kobolds to a cave?

AssassinKing
2009-11-02, 09:23 PM
I can not assisst you with tracking them down, but I can see if I can find someone who can.

Silverraptor
2009-11-02, 09:24 PM
Maybe. He looks around the store.

(Is NamonakiRei's character in there?)

The Blackbird
2009-11-02, 09:24 PM
"That's unfortunate, it seems-" He raises his voice a little.

"No one can seem to be able to track kobolds for us."

:smalltongue:

"Yeah, but anyways, what's your name?" He looks at Goat.

(Is NamonakiRei's character in there?)
Yes, the store owner addressed her.

AssassinKing
2009-11-02, 09:28 PM
My name is Goat, and yours?

Silverraptor
2009-11-02, 09:31 PM
My names Silo.

The Blackbird
2009-11-02, 09:36 PM
"And I'm Garl Marsh."

AssassinKing
2009-11-02, 09:37 PM
Very nice to meet you both. Now for the business that must be taken care of. We should make posters or do something that could attract a tracker.

The Blackbird
2009-11-02, 09:40 PM
"Coolness." Garl gives a big gnome smile.(Think :elan:)

Silverraptor
2009-11-02, 09:42 PM
Or, instead of that, we could just wander around and ask people if they can track.

The Blackbird
2009-11-02, 09:44 PM
"Yeah, that's a good way to go about it." Garl starts sarcasticly.

"Here let's try it."
He walks over to the nearest person (Reyka) and taps them on the shoulder.

"Excuse me miss, are you by chance good at tracking kobolds?"

((Okay metagaming done, just had to for irony's sake.))

NamonakiRei
2009-11-03, 05:42 PM
Reyka looks at Garl, with her eyebrows raised in surprise. "Good at tracking Kobolds, you say? Of course, I am good at doing so. I'm a ranger, for one side. For the other, I really hate reptilian humanoids... like Kobolds." She frowns slightly.
"Why do you ask? Do you need a tracker, or something?"

The Blackbird
2009-11-03, 05:47 PM
Garl's jaw drops, and he drops the sarcastic tone.

"Uh yeah, actually we do, uh...Talk to him about it, were on an adventure to do with it." He points to the store owner.

Then Garl walks over to Silo, and hands him a bag of money containing 90 gold.

"You sir, win, I'm never doubting you again.

And that rhyming doesn't make it any less true."

NamonakiRei
2009-11-03, 05:53 PM
Reyka then speaks to the store owner.
"Sir, I hear from this person" She makes a gesture toward Garl "That you are in need of assistance in a quest involving Kobolds. I would like to join said quest, if I may."

AssassinKing
2009-11-03, 06:10 PM
I.....I can't believe that actually worked. That was so simple. Ugh what ever it works. He smacks his forehead and shakes his head.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-03, 06:18 PM
"Of course you can! A larger party means you're more likely to succeed! They're off to a Kobold den to the north to retrieve a sword of my family's. I don't care if you go about it peaceably or violently, as long as the sword is retrieved. And, of course, I'll pay." Gol stops for a few seconds to see if he forgot anything explaining it this time.

NamonakiRei
2009-11-03, 06:46 PM
"All right." Reyka says. "But first, I'd like to know, how long has it been since these Kobolds stole your sword?"

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-03, 07:00 PM
"A week or so ago. I haven't yet been able to convince anybody else to help me."

AssassinKing
2009-11-03, 07:02 PM
I'm gonna help. Unless you count me as a nobody?Goat says this trying to funny.

Silverraptor
2009-11-03, 08:08 PM
Garl's jaw drops, and he drops the sarcastic tone.

"Uh yeah, actually we do, uh...Talk to him about it, were on an adventure to do with it." He points to the store owner.

Then Garl walks over to Silo, and hands him a bag of money containing 90 gold.

"You sir, win, I'm never doubting you again.

And that rhyming doesn't make it any less true."

Well, thank you. He takes the bag. This Gnome is so going to be my gambling buddy.

The Blackbird
2009-11-03, 10:30 PM
Garl grins, "I guess were almost ready then? Man, I cannot wait to get this going, I've always wanted to do something like this!

Alright, we have a tracker, well ranger, she said. What else do we have to contribute to our group, other than being able to accuratly predict what exactly what we need is nearby."

He raises his hand at Silo.

"High five for me, low five for you."

Silverraptor
2009-11-03, 10:37 PM
*Low fives*

Well, I'm good at sneaking around. Maybe we should split up. I go first and infiltrate. You guys could go in as a negotiation group. Then I can provide you back up if the negotiations go bad.

AssassinKing
2009-11-03, 11:03 PM
About how long do you think we will be out. I will get some rations for the journey. Shop Keeper, you never said your name but here is currency for a tent and some arrows for me, bed rolls for the members in this group, and the rations (tent is 10 gp, bed rolls 1 sp each, rations 5 sp per day, 1gp/20arrows)

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-04, 06:20 AM
Gol smiles. "Call me Gol Hamben..." He takes the money and returns with the items. "Here you are, sir."

The Blackbird
2009-11-04, 06:09 PM
Garl nods at Silo's plan. "That's a good plan, but I'm going to take the assumption that the kobolds are not going to negotiate, unless we have a bargaining chip. Or intimidation maybe."

Silverraptor
2009-11-04, 06:24 PM
Well, we need to figure out something. But we won't know if they negotiate if we don't try.

The Blackbird
2009-11-04, 06:30 PM
"Usually I'd try to argue that the kobolds absolutly will not negotiate, but that would just result in them doing so, eh?"
He grins.
"Actually, that wouldn't be a bad thing..."

AssassinKing
2009-11-04, 06:31 PM
I suppose I could try to negotiate something. What did you guys have in mind besides the sword or is that it?

NamonakiRei
2009-11-04, 07:34 PM
"Well, negotiation with kobolds. If you think it's for the best, then... well, it'll have to be." Reyka says. "Though I'm not sure they'd negotiate with us, if you think it's worth a try..."

AssassinKing
2009-11-04, 07:51 PM
I was trained to negotiate with enemies before violence which is why I ended up as a captain of a company. I was best at what I was trained to do. But if the rest of the group is against this decision that is fine.

NamonakiRei
2009-11-04, 08:04 PM
"It seems it's more like the opposite, for them, at least." Reyka says, gesturing toward Garl and Silo. "It's negotiation first, then, right?"

The Blackbird
2009-11-04, 08:06 PM
"I still don't think it's a plausible idea, but I guess were going with it."

Silverraptor
2009-11-04, 08:17 PM
We're just seeing if we can solve this without bloodshed. I told you I would sneak in and be backup. Come to think of it, maybe we should have someone else be the backup for the backup.

The Blackbird
2009-11-04, 08:21 PM
"I might be able to do that, I'm a gnome so I won't help negotiations any anyways. Plus, as a spellcaster, I wouldn't want myself near them."

AssassinKing
2009-11-04, 08:45 PM
So then, we ask for the sword then we leave? And if it doesn't work we kill them. Good enough for me.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-05, 08:46 PM
"That should work, but don't compromise with anything of value. Why should you pay to get something from them that isn't theirs, after all. Do you need directions to their den, or do you think you can get there well enough on your own?"

Silverraptor
2009-11-05, 08:48 PM
If you give us directions, it would be easier for the ranger to find. Right, Miss? He says, smiling at Reyka. By the way, we don't actually know your name. What is it?

AssassinKing
2009-11-05, 08:59 PM
I was thinking more of trying to convince them not to steal from merchants or civilians something along those lines.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-06, 07:55 PM
"I'm not sure it'd be quite that easy. Kobolds usually aren't very patient, or willing to compromise. And besides..." Gol coughs and taps a necklace he is wearing. When he speaks again, it is in a series of hisses and clicks.

Only for those who speak Draconic:
"Although I'm ssssure you're all intelligent, Draconic issssn't commonly ssssspoken here, and Koboldsss rarely ssspeak anything elssse."

He taps the necklace again.

Silverraptor
2009-11-07, 04:10 PM
... Does anyone know what that was?

AssassinKing
2009-11-07, 04:27 PM
Maybe he is a lizard guy or something or he has some sort of disease that makes him sound weird He whispers this to Silo

Silverraptor
2009-11-07, 04:31 PM
Or... it could be that this necklace will allow us to speak the language. He looks at everyone. Who here speaks the laungage of the Kobolds?

AssassinKing
2009-11-07, 04:37 PM
That's crazy, it's just not possible. Even if it were possible how did he get it.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-07, 05:38 PM
He looks strangely at you. "I do run the only store in the biggest city around. You'd be surprised at the stuff I get."

The Blackbird
2009-11-07, 06:20 PM
Garl raises his hand. "Ooh, I speak Draconic, language to kobolds, dragons, and pretty much anything scaly." He grins.

Silverraptor
2009-11-07, 06:30 PM
But you said the kobolds wouldn't like you, since your a gnome and everything. He looks at Reyka. Can you speak draconic?

NamonakiRei
2009-11-08, 08:58 PM
"Yes, I do. I'm Reyka, by the way."

The Blackbird
2009-11-08, 09:00 PM
Garl looks at Reyka and says, "Heya, I'm Garl Marsh, and I am a wizard."

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-08, 09:33 PM
"Two of you speak Draconic? That's quite interesting... I rarely see a person or two a day who speak it, and here I am, hiring two of them at the same time!" Gol chuckles to himself.

The Blackbird
2009-11-08, 10:03 PM
Garl smiles.

"The guy who taught be wizardry told me it would come in handy for telling jokes to copper dragons. Plus, Draconic is a language of multiple uses."

Silverraptor
2009-11-09, 01:03 AM
Ok, so I was thinking Reyka and Goat go in to try and negotiate with the kobolds from the start. Garl and I will stay behind as backup. He looks to the man behind the counter. Do you have some device that could signal us if things start going badly?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-09, 05:46 AM
"Sure, I've got tons of things like that." Gol walks behind the counter and comes out with rings, necklaces, and other types of jewelry, of varying quality. "Find a pair, press the gem on one..." he picks out a random ring from the pile and presses the gem, "and the other one will flash and let out a quiet beeping." Another ring, looking almost exactly like the first, starts flashing. You can hear a low, quiet, but obvious tone.

Silverraptor
2009-11-09, 12:32 PM
Well then, is everyone in agreement?

AssassinKing
2009-11-09, 04:49 PM
I am. Tomorrow we leave for the journey, but tonight we PARTAY! jk guys, jk.

Silverraptor
2009-11-14, 12:20 AM
Right... So, I guess we leave in the morning then, right?

(That's your cue to skip to tomorrow Fiddler)

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-14, 07:00 AM
((Wanted to make sure that somebody else at least agreed with it.))

As it is getting fairly late, you all decide to go to sleep, whether it be in tents outside the city, in the inns, or in the gutters.

You awake the next day. all feeling energized.

AssassinKing
2009-11-19, 10:13 PM
Goat goes to Gol again after he wakes up. So Gol do you know the exact location or about where it is?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-20, 08:59 PM
"I don't have the exact location, but I do know where it is close enough that it shouldn't be too much of a problem finding it. You need to head north until you hit the river, then travel east along it to the mountains. The Kobold den should be somewhere around where the river leads up into the mountains."

The Blackbird
2009-11-23, 08:00 PM
Garl wakes up in the morning and also goes to find Gol and meet with the rest before his first big adventure. When he gets there he finds Goat and Gol. (Or at least I assume he does.)

"Hey guys!" He seems cheerful.

Silverraptor
2009-11-23, 08:05 PM
Silo got up quickly and quietly. Old habits die hard, but he still felt cautious about the world around him. He has made himself somewhat known in the world. Though he's been careful enough that no one has an exact description of him, he know he must be cautious. He wonders what the people he's traveling with would think if they knew his past. However, he has no real need to tell them at this point.

He finishes buckling on his belt and walks downstairs for breakfast.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-23, 08:47 PM
Downstairs in the inn's dining room, Silo's breakfast goes as expected. No poisons, and no bar inn-fights.

AssassinKing
2009-11-23, 10:37 PM
Ah hello Garl. It's nice to know I'm not the only one in the group that is awake. I was just talking to Gol about the location of the kobold area that we are supposed to go to.

Silverraptor
2009-11-23, 11:24 PM
Silo finishes breakfast quickly and then proceeds over to the rest of the group.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-24, 08:24 PM
"Yes. Like I just told Goat, you'll need to follow the river up north to the east, and the Kobolds should be there. You should be careful though, there are a lot of other families, so if you aren't careful, you could end up swarmed by hundreds of Kobolds."

Silverraptor
2009-12-01, 12:04 AM
Silo walks in to meet the group.

Is everyone here and ready?

The Blackbird
2010-01-07, 09:43 PM
"Sure am!" Garl says, cheerfully.