PDA

View Full Version : Does the Giant accept Paypal donations?

SpaceBadger
2009-11-01, 08:43 PM
I like reading OOTS, and would like to express my thanks to the Giant in a monetary way, but the books are a bit expensive for me. I'd really like to be able to hand over $10 every now and then, whenever I get the urge to drop by here and catch up on my reading, rather than fork over $30 plus shipping for a book.

I don't see any way to do that here.

Any suggestions?

Heliomance
2009-11-01, 09:00 PM
Nope, he explicitly doesn't accept donations. The rationale is that if people pay for the comic, then they'll feel entitled to it and complain when it doesn't update for ages. So the only way to get money to Mr Burlew is to buy the merch.

Tussy the Druid
2009-11-01, 09:01 PM
I'm pretty sure he doesn't anymore due to the fact that he feels that people feel that once they donate they hold a sort of stake in the comic and feel that they have the right to complain and demand things be changed.

I know that this isn't entirely right, and I can't remember where the exact post was, but these were loosely the reasons why he doesn't have a paypal button.

I'm sure if Roland or the Giant finds this, they will probably respond in a much clearer, coherent and correct way.

Edit: Ninja'ed.

Alteran
2009-11-01, 09:21 PM
I like reading OOTS, and would like to express my thanks to the Giant in a monetary way, but the books are a bit expensive for me. I'd really like to be able to hand over $10 every now and then, whenever I get the urge to drop by here and catch up on my reading, rather than fork over $30 plus shipping for a book.

I don't see any way to do that here.

Any suggestions?

Every time you get that urge, take your $10 and put it somewhere safe. After that happens 3 or 4 times, you'll have the money to buy a book and ship it.

The Giant has stated very clearly that he won't accept donations, for two reasons. (This is just from memory, don't take it like a quote from the man himself.) One, he doesn't want charity. If you want to give him money, he feels like you should get something for it. Similarly, he's not willing to sell the comic itself. It's one thing to sell a compilation of comics, but if an artist accepts donations directly, the donor may feel that they're entitled to more comics. The way I see it, The Giant wants you to be clear about what you're getting for your money. When you're buying a concrete object, it's easy to see what your money gets you. If you're getting no immediate returns, it's easier to misinterpret what you're entitled to.

SpaceBadger
2009-11-01, 09:49 PM
OK, I can understand his viewpoint there. Eh, maybe I'll buy a t-shirt or something.

Thanks for the speedy and informative replies!

Roland St. Jude
2009-11-01, 11:27 PM
Well, this seems to have been another Board Issues success.