PDA

View Full Version : [4e] - Static Damage Mod Houserule; Thoughts?

Edea
2009-11-02, 12:05 AM
Pretty simple: "When dealing damage with a power, you only apply damage modifiers, beyond what is described in the power's text, once per target affected by the power."

Immediately obvious effect/example: Let's say you have a +20 damage modifier without considering your ability scores. You use Twin Strike to attack an enemy twice. You hit the same enemy both times and neither hit is a critical. However, instead of the damage being equal to 2[W] + 40, it's equal to 2[W] + 20; you only apply those modifiers once per target. If you use Twin Strike to attack two different targets, and both attacks hit/don't crit, each takes 1[W] + 20 damage (which is what would normally happen anyway).

Now take Storm of Blades. Your damage mod's still +20, but now factor in Strength (+5), and Con for the number of attacks (let's say you get 5). You aim them all at the same target and they all connect/don't crit. However, the damage isn't 5[W] + 125. It's 5[W] + 45; you only apply those modifiers once per target, though Str is explicitly mentioned as being added per attack.

How would you feel about playing in a game with this houserule? Does this make you upset? Would you be indifferent to it? Do you like it? Do you think it neuters the ranger irreparably? What other suggestions would you have/what things have you done to tone down powers like Twin Strike?

In the (unofficial) IRC channel, we're pretty much adopting this houserule across the board, along with a fix for orbizards (that's for a different thread).

Mr. Mud
2009-11-02, 04:07 PM
It nerfs the Two-Bladed ranger a fair bit, and although I'd rather play by RAW (in this case), it's not a turnoff. :smallbiggrin:

Gralamin
2009-11-02, 08:47 PM
It nerfs the Two-Bladed ranger a fair bit, and although I'd rather play by RAW (in this case), it's not a turnoff. :smallbiggrin:

To be fair, their damage is outrageous anyway. In fact, if you look at a lot of the new builds / classes, they are doing everything they can to be "multiattacks" without acting like the Ranger, because its obvious they screwed up. This brings the Ranger down to their levels.

Edea
2009-11-02, 08:51 PM
This is particularly evident in the Assassin class and the Whirling Barbarian sub-build. But yeah, I guess this isn't as crazy as I was initially making it out to be, so that seems like good news.

Mr. Mud
2009-11-02, 08:52 PM
To be fair, their damage is outrageous anyway. In fact, if you look at a lot of the new builds / classes, they are doing everything they can to be "multiattacks" without acting like the Ranger, because its obvious they screwed up. This brings the Ranger down to their levels.

I agree, but it severally nerfs some attacks that don't need to be nerfed, while it totally fixes others.

Examples, to come.

Krazddndfreek
2009-11-02, 08:57 PM
I think that it's a very effective houserule. Or it seems like it anyway. And it also discourages players from making dumb decisions and instigating fights for no reason because of the higher lethality.

That aside, the obvious goal in mind would definitely be achieved. It probably still wouldn't be immensely faster, but it does remove the need to make dicerolls. Although in pbp game it really doesn't make a difference.

centuriancode
2009-11-03, 12:36 AM
The Rangers were stupidly overpowered (once had a level 5 arrow ranger that hit an group boss from 120 in one round. I wasn't even trying to break it). If you apply it to ranged multiattacks as well, then it's very good at rebalancing rangers.

I wonder if there's a similar way to rebalance rogues? They tend to deal almost as much as rangers, though only to a single target and with only one shot.

Belobog
2009-11-03, 01:36 AM
This is pretty much exactly what one of my friends does for all the 4e games he runs, so it's not like it's a crazy idea. Personally, it's a ruling I agree with.

Yakk
2009-11-03, 03:13 PM
Yes, that rule should work reasonably well. Rangers will probably end up being slightly under powered.

Do allow double-dipping of criticals, however.

Attacking multiple targets becomes much stronger, comparatively, to pounding away on one target.