PDA

View Full Version : [3rd] Half-dragon dragonwraught dragonborn kobold dragon shaman Dragon Disciple Drago

Pika...
2009-11-02, 04:08 AM
From this recent thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129456

My Half-dragon dragonwraught dragonborn kobold dragon shaman named Draco Dragonowski disagrees.

He's still not an actual dragon, or a Dragon Disciple, or Draconic, or a Dragon Fire Adept.. in short, needs more dragon.

How do I build this? @.@

I am not even sure how to start, even less what ECL it will end at.

And what else could be thrown in here to make it more draggy?

ps. What should I name this PC?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, while I am kinda making this up as I go and receive advice, someone asked nicely for me to post this build. While I am not sure this would qualify as a "build" I will try my best to write down what I am doing. :smallsmile:

(As of November 9th, 2:17pm)

The steps in the order I am taking them for my Lv.13 version:
1. Start off with the Desert Kobold variant from Unearthed Arcana (link below). I did this to rather have a -2 to Wis rather than a -2 to Con because, Con is important for it's breath weapon(s), and so far seems like it will be the central part of this build.

Linkie to Desert Kobolds:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertKobolds

Note: It also gets rid of light-sensitivity.

2. Take the Dragonwrought feat at level one. It is located in Races of the Dragon. It will grant immunity to sleep, paralysis, and a +2 bonus to a skill of your choice. (You can choose to take further Dragonwrought feats of you choose).

3. Slap the Half-Dragon template on it (linkie provided below). (Knowing I would be getting other breath weapons, and for laughs, I chose a Half-Howling-Dragon to be able to essentially blow up items.

Linkie to Half-Dragon Rules:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm

Note:
-The Half-Dragon template gives a +2 to Con, so that is an automatic +1 to the DCs against your Breath Weapon(s).
-The Half-Howler-Dragon, and various other True Half-Dragon variants can be found in the Draconomicon.

4. Become a Dragonborn (From Races of the Dragon). It gives you a +2 to Con, so your breath weapon(s) take another boost.

Noes:
-I'd recommend taking the Heart Breath Weapon option. Hence making this basically a breath weapon build (though you can still hit pretty hard), which will allow you to rotate your breath weapons. Not to mention your Con should be pretty big with all the boosts.
-From reading the Dragonborn features you do lose some Kobold features, but since Dragonwrought is a featyou should not lose that, since Half-Dragon is a template costing three levels that should be fine, and since the Green Dragon Linage are levels (see below) those should be fine.

5. Take 1 level or sorcerer. (Your PC is now ECL 4)

6. Take a level of Dragonfire Adept (From Dragon Magic). This just gave you your third Breath Weapon. This one works each round, though it is not as great. Basically your back you when the other two are either used up or charging. (Your PC should now be ECL 5)

7. Take your first level in the (Intermediate) Dragon Bloodline to avoid paying the XP penalties.. (Your PC should now be ECL 6)

Linkie to Dragon Bloodlines:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm

Notes:
-I chose a Intermediate Bloodline, which requires you to burn your 6th and 12 level. You can choose you choose a Lesser or Even Great Bloodline if you want, but you will need to remix this build a bit.
-While these "levels" do not grant BaB, Skill points, etc they do have the nice perk of stacking with all other classes for the purposes of things like CL and save DCs. I believe this also means a Breath Weapon's DC, but I am not 100% sure. So basically your your Sorcerer CL is upped by +2, and I believe so are your Dragonfire Adept and Dragon Shaman CL. Again not 100% sure.

8. Take a level Half-Dragon Paragon. (Your PC should now be ECL 7)

Linkie to Half-Dragon Paragon:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#halfDragonParagon

Notes:
-I feel anything past a single level in this Paragon is pretty useless. At least for this "build" (I still doubt you can call this monstrosity that :smalltongue:).
-The first level of this paragon class stacks with your Sorcerer levels. So now the Sorcerer CL is 4?

9. ????

10. ????

11. ?????

12. Take your second level in the Intermediate Dragon Bloodline so not to take penalties. (You should taker this for your level/ECL 12).

Chineselegolas
2009-11-02, 04:23 AM
Almost like the war builds.

First up, Races/Template/Feats:
Half-Dragon
Dragonwrought Kobold
Dragonborn
Dragonblooded Bloodline
Draconic Heritage (Sorcerer 1st required)

Next, what Base Classes can we take which involve dragons:
Dragon Sharman
Dragonfire Adept
Half-Dragon Paragon

Okay, now the Prestige Classes: (In alphabetical order no less)
Diamond Dragon
Dracolexi
Dracolyte
Dragon Devotee (Non-dragon, so disqualified)
Dragon Descendant
Dragon Disciple (Disqualified pre-beginning, shucks)
Dragon Lord
Dragon Prophet
Dragon Rider (riding himself...)
Dragon Samurai (We have Samurai)
Dragon Shen (And we have monk. All we need now is Truenamer...)
Dragonheart Mage
Dragonkith
Dragonmarked Heir
Dragonslayer (ironic)
Dragonsong Lyrist
Dragonstalker
Purple Dragon Knight
Wyrm Wizard (technically)

I'm sure there are others out there, and some which don't really work or fit, but it is a start.

Edit: List updated

Tanaric
2009-11-02, 04:25 AM
You can't take Dragon Disciple as a Dragonwrought Kobold (or a half-dragon, for that matter), since Dragonwrought Kobolds are Dragons.

Aside from that, um... go crazy, you crazy Pika you. I'm not really sure what else to say. :smalltongue:

Is there a particular point to the character that you'd like to see, or is it just trying to cram as much dragon into one character as possible?

ZeroNumerous
2009-11-02, 04:39 AM
Okay, now the Prestige Classes:
Dragon Disciple
Dragon Shen
Dragonmarked Heir
Purple Dragon Knight
Dracolexi
Dragon Devotee
Dragonheart Mage

On dragon-centric race:
Dragon-blooded (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#bloodlineDescriptions) :smalltongue:

On dragon PrCs:
Dragon Lord
Dragon Descendant
Diamond Dragon
Dracolyte
Dragonkith
Dragonslayer(ironic)
Dragonsong Lyrist
Dragonstalker
Dragon Rider
Dragon Samurai
Dragonmark Heir
Dragon Prophet
Wyrm Wizard(technically)

hewhosaysfish
2009-11-02, 09:18 AM
Dragon Rider (riding himself...)

How does this work? Some ingenious perversion of physics or just an unusual definition of the word "riding"?

tonberrian
2009-11-02, 09:25 AM
How does this work? Some ingenious perversion of physics or just an unusual definition of the word "riding"?

Well, there is the fission power...

Heliomance
2009-11-02, 09:27 AM
Yo wyrm, I heard yo like dragons, so we put some dragon in yo dragon so you can dragon while you dragon.

Also, needs moar Draconic Cohort.

Pika...
2009-11-09, 08:36 AM
Aside from that, um... go crazy, you crazy Pika you. I'm not really sure what else to say. :smalltongue:

Is there a particular point to the character that you'd like to see, or is it just trying to cram as much dragon into one character as possible?

Why thanks. :smallbiggrin:

And as for the point, I guess it would be to cram as much dragon into it as possible.

As of Saturday my backup character in a game got greenlit due to the untimely demise of another Kobold, so I need to add another one to the rotation (I am trying to always have one in storage in case). Now I am going to try stating this monstrosity out.

What seems like will be the most difficult part is meeting all those PrC requirements. With only four feats (actually three, due to Dragonwrought...) I do not know if it will be possible. :smallconfused:

Currently the backup PC will be made for Lv.13.

The stats the DM rolled and emailed me are:
11 (0), 15 (+2), 12 (+1), 16 (+3), 15 (+2), 11 (0)

ranagrande
2009-11-09, 09:06 AM
The real fun comes in at epic levels when you can start taking the prestige classes from Draconomicon. The ones that were intended for dragons to take.

AstralFire
2009-11-09, 09:14 AM
When I clicked this thread, I frowned, and the sheer force of my loathing caused electrical power to falter and flicker in my domicile.

Tremble, mortals.

Pika...
2009-11-09, 09:59 AM
Holy Crud.

I am only up to the Shaman and Adept, but so far I see that they both grant breath weapons. Along with the Half-Dragon that makes 3.

Do I get these all?!

If so, how would this work?

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-09, 10:18 AM
Holy Crud.

I am only up to the Shaman and Adept, but so far I see that they both grant breath weapons. Along with the Half-Dragon that makes 3.

Do I get these all?!

If so, how would this work?

If I'm correct, you have three separate breath weapons and all three are very different.

The Half-Dragon breath can be used X number of times per day.

The Shaman one is recharged at 1d4 rounds per use.

The Adept one is, I believable, usable as a standard action whenever, like the Eldritch Blast of a warlock.

Only the Shaman one qualifies for metabreath feats, though. The adept one gets invocations, though.

Pika...
2009-11-09, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the info.

I am still working on just those two classes. LoL.

Another question please:
What are the rules for starting a non-1st level character that is multiclasses? I am not very familiar with multiclassing rules.

FMArthur
2009-11-09, 10:59 AM
Not sure what you mean with the multiclass question. The rules don't treat multiclass characters differently from other characters of equal ECL, but if you're playing with XP penalties, use the total XP of the ECL you are playing at and work your way up towards it, level by level.

Also, I don't see it mentioned here, but just in case: most of these things specifically require that you not be a dragon or dragonblooded. This can be fixed if you pay someone to cast Polymorph Any Object on you, which is alarmingly inexpensive.

Xenogears
2009-11-09, 12:22 PM
If I'm correct, you have three separate breath weapons and all three are very different.

The Half-Dragon breath can be used X number of times per day.

The Shaman one is recharged at 1d4 rounds per use.

The Adept one is, I believable, usable as a standard action whenever, like the Eldritch Blast of a warlock.

Only the Shaman one qualifies for metabreath feats, though. The adept one gets invocations, though.

Theoretically you could use the metabreath feats you aquire by virtue of the shaman one and apply them to the adept ones. Although with all this multiclassing involved the adept ones are prolly gonna be only 1-2d6 anyway...

Asbestos
2009-11-09, 12:31 PM
I could have sworn there was a more cost effective way to put things like 'Entangling Breath' on the DFAs breath weapon... wai, metabreath is different isn't it?

Also, Astralfire: U don't liek dragons?

Optimystik
2009-11-09, 12:41 PM
When I clicked this thread, I frowned, and the sheer force of my loathing caused electrical power to falter and flicker in my domicile.

Tremble, mortals.

I will join you in this, provided you assist me in channeling similar feelings towards the elves as well.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-09, 12:45 PM
I will join you in this, provided you assist me in channeling similar feelings towards the elves as well.For example, towards any Half-Drow Elves with levels in Half-elf paragon, Elf Paragon, Drow Paragon, and Ruathar?

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-09, 12:45 PM
Theoretically you could use the metabreath feats you aquire by virtue of the shaman one and apply them to the adept ones. Although with all this multiclassing involved the adept ones are prolly gonna be only 1-2d6 anyway...

Depends. Theoretically, if you can apply metabreath feats to adept breaths (which I thought were governed as Spell-likes, since they don't have a dice-recharge time and thus cannot be affected by metabreath usage penalties), the character could just dip into dragon shaman long enough to obtain a 1d4-charge breath and then switch to adept, thus advancing the adept breath weapon while taking metabreath feats due to qualifying for them via dragon shaman.

In THEORY, I think this makes for a stronger breath weapon if Metabreath feats do, in fact, apply to Dragonfire Adept breath weapons. The adept weapon tends to be more versatile and reliable and can have metabreath feats AND invocations, which will result in something quite ludicrous.

But that said, I do think that metabreath feats require a 1d4 breath and only apply to breath attacks that require 1d4 charge-times. Then again, I could be wrong, but that wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Optimystik
2009-11-09, 01:17 PM
For example, towards any Half-Drow Elves with levels in Half-elf paragon, Elf Paragon, Drow Paragon, and Ruathar?

I hate you.

Zovc
2009-11-09, 01:33 PM
I think I would make the character a female and call her a "drag queen."

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-09, 01:35 PM
I think I would make the character a female and call her a "drag queen."

But...drag queens...aren't female...

So rather than make it a female, just put it in a dress!

Zovc
2009-11-09, 01:42 PM

I guess, if you wanted to have an actual drag queen...

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-09, 01:45 PM
I guess, if you wanted to have an actual drag queen...

Listen, this build is theoretical enough as is. Let's keep some things solid and real.

Like a male kobold in a dress.

See? That's realism.

subject42
2009-11-09, 01:45 PM
I feel famous now.

Random NPC
2009-11-09, 01:49 PM
Let us not forget the Beguiler gestalt

Beguiler Beguiler Beguiler//Beguiler

Magnor Criol
2009-11-09, 01:50 PM
When I clicked this thread, I smiled, and the sheer force of my jollity caused television signals to wane briefly across the whole city block.

Continue, geniuses.

( :smallbiggrin: )

This is sort of happening on a party scale in the campaign I'm DMing right now. We've got a sorc who just went dragonborn, a half-dragon barbarian, a silverbrow human dragon shaman, and...well, the last one's an ordinary human cleric, but you see the theme.

Incidentally, "Draco Dragonowski" is one of the best kobold names ever. You're going to post the build you finally end up with up here for us, right, Pika?

Pika...
2009-11-09, 01:53 PM
<snip>

Some kinda error was going on there.

Pika...
2009-11-09, 01:57 PM

Well, I did make it a Half-Howler-Dragon. I imagine the PC would be quite nuts. :smalleek:

Currently he is a: Half-Howling-Dragon (+Half-Dragon Paragon) Dragonborn (Howling)-Dragonwrought Desert-Kobold.

Plus he has a Green Dragon Bloodline (the two levels worth of the In intermediate level one, hence burning up my 6th and 12th levels, but letting them stack on ALL caster classes' Caster Levels).

For clases I am working on adding:
-The two Intermediate Green Dragon Bloodlines (mentioned above).
-Half-Dragon Paragon.
-1 Sorcerer (Which with the two levels of Green Bloddline, and the Half-Dragon Paragon makes his manifester level a CL.4 I believe?).
-1 Dragonfire Adept (Which with the two levels of Green Bloddline his manifester level a CL.3 I believe?).
-1 Dragon Shaman (Which with the two levels of Green Bloddline his manifester level a CL.3 I believe?).
-The +3 LA of the Half-Dragon.

Notes:
-He has only the Dragonwrought feat so far.
-Thanks to some nice initial rolls by the DM, and all the changing up his array is:
STR 21, DEX 12, CON 20, INT 12, WIS 9, CHA 18.

Where do you all think I should go from here?

ps. Do the Intermediate Green Dragon Bloodline levels stack for breath weapons saves as well? I believe so based on how I read it, but I am not 100% sure.

jiriku
2009-11-09, 02:21 PM
Draco Dragonowski, but his friends call him "Big D" for short.

Take improved familiar and get a pseudodragon as a familiar. Constantly tease your pseudodragon about being a "poser" and "not draconic enough".
Fight in dragonhide armor with a dragonbone spear tipped with a dragon's tooth.
Get promoted to the nobility and create a personal coat of arms that is...you guessed it, a dragon.
Have you got wings and a tail? If not, definitely pick up the feats to get those.

Pika...
2009-11-09, 02:59 PM
I feel famous now.

And I love you for it. :smallbiggrin:

When I clicked this thread, I smiled, and the sheer force of my jollity caused television signals to wane briefly across the whole city block.

Continue, geniuses.

( :smallbiggrin: )

This is sort of happening on a party scale in the campaign I'm DMing right now. We've got a sorc who just went dragonborn, a half-dragon barbarian, a silverbrow human dragon shaman, and...well, the last one's an ordinary human cleric, but you see the theme.

Incidentally, "Draco Dragonowski" is one of the best kobold names ever. You're going to post the build you finally end up with up here for us, right, Pika?

Why, chucks. :smallredface:

Sure, I would be glad to. While I doubt this counts as a "build", I took the time to try and write up what I have done so far. Check the OP post, and please let me know if you have any ideas for how to continue this. Any other help from others would also bre appreciated!

subject42
2009-11-09, 03:04 PM
While I doubt this counts as a "build", I took the time to try and write up what I have done so far.

I actually created Draco Draganowski for the ToH campaign that I've posted about a few times on here. I'll shuffle through my pile tonight and see if I can't find him. If so, I'll post what I have in the hopes that you can cannibalize some useful stuff from it.

Pika...
2009-11-09, 03:08 PM
I actually created Draco Draganowski for the ToH campaign that I've posted about a few times on here. I'll shuffle through my pile tonight and see if I can't find him. If so, I'll post what I have in the hopes that you can cannibalize some useful stuff from it.

My apologies.

I thought that was jsut a wacky idea you had, so believing it was a one-off comment I figured it would be OK to take it and run. :smallfrown:

subject42
2009-11-09, 03:10 PM
My apologies. :

No apologies necessary. I'm actually quite glad that you took the idea and ran with it. He's just a throwaway gag right now.

GIVE MY CREATION LIFE!

Pika...
2009-11-09, 03:19 PM
No apologies necessary. I'm actually quite glad that you took the idea and ran with it. He's just a throwaway gag right now.

GIVE MY CREATION LIFE!

*Insert BBEG laugh*

Sure. :smallbiggrin:

Have you seen my latest backup PC to get greenlit a few threads back? I have a feeling he just might see the outside of my Backup Folder waiting room in my Macbook. (I am not sure which of the two characters is worse right now, yours' or mine...).