PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Casting while polymorphed

weenie
2009-11-02, 05:55 AM
So, if you assume a humanoid form capable of speech when you polymorph, you can cast spells normally. But what happens to the spells that you had cast on yourself before polymorphing? Do you keep things like mage armor or haste? What happens to stat boosting spells, such as bull's strength?

And since your creature type changes, can spells like charm person and the like still affect you if you turn yourself into a plant? Also, when you turn into creatures of a different kind, do you assume their traits? So would polymorphing into a shambling mound make you immune to mind-affecting spells?

And If you polymorph someone into a large creature and they cast Righteous might on themselves, does their size increase further?

I would have put this question under simple Q&A, but then again it is kinda long.. :smallsmile:

PinkysBrain
2009-11-02, 06:23 AM
All active spells stay active ... and if you believe the Sage targeting limitations only apply at the time of casting. So you stay charmed regardless of type, immunity to mind affecting spells would suppress it though. You do get everything under the type description during polymorph, so a plant form would indeed suppress charm person.

As for polymorph + righteous might, I say yes ... I've seen people say no.

PS. polymorph is OMG broken.

Iku Rex
2009-11-02, 06:34 AM
But what happens to the spells that you had cast on yourself before polymorphing? Do you keep things like mage armor or haste? What happens to stat boosting spells, such as bull's strength?The spells remain in effect.

(There are a few spells, such as girallon's blessing, that alter your shape without giving specific bonuses and would arguably get "overwritten" by polymorph.)

And since your creature type changes, can spells like charm person and the like still affect you if you turn yourself into a plant?Generally no.

Also, when you turn into creatures of a different kind, do you assume their traits? So would polymorphing into a shambling mound make you immune to mind-affecting spells?It's not very clear. WotC and Andy Collins has said "yes". Apparently some traits are "natural abilities" and you get those.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040525a

And If you polymorph someone into a large creature and they cast Righteous might on themselves, does their size increase further?RAW suggests "no". IMO RAI suggests "yes". It depends on how you interpret "magical effects that increase size".

weenie
2009-11-02, 06:38 AM
I'm well aware of how broken it is, but I'm in the sort of campaign where you must squeeze every bit of cheese out of your character if you wish to survive. And you're still very likely not to.

PinkysBrain
2009-11-02, 06:44 AM
It's not very clear. WotC and Andy Collins has said "yes". Apparently some traits are "natural abilities" and you get those.
Hmm? I don't recall anyone ever questioning it really ... all the Sage really added was telling us you lose race based traits during polymorph, the example being the human bonus feat, even though race isn't a type or a subtype ... which I thought was a really bad ruling.

Never play humans in a game with polymorph and FAQ rules ...

olentu
2009-11-02, 06:47 AM
Well disregarding the rules of the game article, on the subject of natural abilities the rules compendium says that natural abilities are abilities that are not are not said to be Ex, Su, or Sp. Also as I recall the interaction of the polymorph subschool with natural abilities ends up making polymorph give the target all of the new forms natural abilities.