PDA

View Full Version : Screwing the PC's

Grifthin
2009-11-02, 12:23 PM
Hello all, It's time for a another moderately exciting day of screw the PC's.

Currently the part consists of:

Level 7 gnome necromancer
Level 7 Fallen Ork paladin
Level 7 Kender Monk
Level 7 Halfling Monk
Level 6 Wujen Fire humanoid doodad.
Level 7 Dwarf Cleric of Muradin.

The entire party except for the necromancer got arrested for a crime they didn't commit. The Necromancer broke them out of Prison and they fled the city without their equipment. The managed to ambush and destroy the group of guards in persuit.

The scavenged up some trail rations (2 days worth), A coupla long swords for the fighters, Coupla Chain Shirts, Some light shields. They have virtually no gear, and the second arcane caster is sharing a spell component pouch with the necromancer.

Currently they plan on trecking into the north towards the mountains to try and contact the family of the person they where accused of kidnapping. They have several weeks of travel ahead of them.

I plan on letting them make several survival checks etc, while travelling to see if they scrounge up enough food. However one Idea I have had is them stumbling into a neutral evil Druid's Grove and being hunted for sport. After this happens however where do I take them from there ? Any idea's that can happen to them on their epic journey to the north ? Thanks in advance.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-02, 12:44 PM
...and here I thought this was going to be a thread about DM'ing for a party that includes your girlfriend. Sigh.

Ideas:
1) Bridge going out. Flight's an option, but it's one more expenditure...
2) Bridge going out... While they're crossing it.
3) Mountain pass collapsing.
4) Avalanche or Forest Fire.
5) My players have learned to fear any sailing trips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qycmb7_LvsA). I've even gone so far as to drop hints that certain passages across a large bay would be quite scenic and take only 3 hours... just a 3 hour tour.

jiriku
2009-11-02, 12:45 PM
What sort of terrain are they crossing? Is it wilderness or a settled area? What time of year is it and what's the usual temperature/weather.

Extreme weather conditions might make an interesting episode, since players normally have such formidable resources that they can ignore weather.

Eurus
2009-11-02, 12:45 PM
Diseases are always fun. Horrible, horrible diseases...

Edwin
2009-11-02, 12:48 PM
And then throw in a large scale battle or two for good measure. :smallwink:

Mando Knight
2009-11-02, 12:52 PM
Dragon. A beast with hit dice better than three of the characters' classes? :smallamused:

Have it use Fly-by attack on the necromancer, Wujen, and Cleric first (starting with the necro), then let it float around smashing the monks and Paladin when they're out of caster support.

Croverus
2009-11-02, 12:55 PM
Dinosaur attack.

Nothing makes my mid-level (read levles 6 to 10) go "WTF?!" Like a pair of T-rex's appearing and chasing the party down for food.

Grifthin
2009-11-02, 12:57 PM
Mind you, I don't want to kill the PC's, just bugger them with a spatula a bit. They been getting very cocky.

They are travelling through forest terraine at the moment, Will eventually thin into some grasslands before going mountains, then desert. They are travelling inland with no real large bodies of water - sorry about the sailing trip.

Thoughts on adventuring band hired to track and arrest them ? Good/bad/hacknied ?

bosssmiley
2009-11-02, 03:52 PM
Failed hunting/foraging checks and the resultant intra-party cannibalism.

You have a gnome ~and~ a kender in there. This is unconscionable! The herd is infected with fail and must be thinned! :smallamused:

Also, Ogre hillbillies. :smallwink:

t_catt11
2009-11-02, 03:55 PM

You have a gnome ~and~ a kender in there. This is unconscionable! The herd is infected with fail and must be thinned! :smallamused:

Also, Ogre hillbillies. :smallwink:

Hehe... "yew gots a purty mouf!"

A party of adventurers contracted to track them could be fun if done right.

Tyrmatt
2009-11-02, 04:57 PM
Hehe... "yew gots a purty mouf!"

A party of adventurers contracted to track them could be fun if done right.

Hehe, I was thinking of the evil Raping Redneck Treant. "I'm gorn put down roots in you boy!!"

A party of good opposites might be a fun way to play that one as well. Better yet, if you want the party to gear up again, have the enemy party have been supplied with the players own gear.

Blackfang108
2009-11-02, 05:18 PM
5) My players have learned to fear any sailing trips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qycmb7_LvsA). I've even gone so far as to drop hints that certain passages across a large bay would be quite scenic and take only 3 hours... just a 3 hour tour.

Have they figured out which one will need to be eaten first in the event of a shipwrecking?

Asbestos
2009-11-02, 05:21 PM
Mercenary Were-drow. SR + DR might make it more difficult than they'd like.

Ravens_cry
2009-11-02, 05:25 PM
Have they figured out which one will need to be eaten first in the event of a shipwrecking?
The Kender, definitely the Kender.
Not much meat, true, but the absence will arguably improve quality of life of ANY party.

UglyPanda
2009-11-02, 05:28 PM

...I once tried to get that pulled on a player I didn't like. Too bad the DM wussed out. He was a fan of arbitrarily killing players through arbitrary means, but never through fun ones.

The plural of PC is PCs or P.C.'s, by the way. "PC's" is possessive.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-02, 05:37 PM
We don't like your kind here... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Over_Innsmouth)

For some reason, that sort of encounter has allways been a favorite of mine. (That is, finding a town thats xenophobic and "off".) Hence why point lookout is like, 50% of FO 3's awesome, alone. :smalltongue:

herrhauptmann
2009-11-02, 05:46 PM
I plan on letting them make several survival checks etc, while travelling to see if they scrounge up enough food. However one Idea I have had is them stumbling into a neutral evil Druid's Grove and being hunted for sport. After this happens however where do I take them from there ? Any idea's that can happen to them on their epic journey to the north ? Thanks in advance.

If you're aiming to reproduce "The most dangerous game" it should definitely be a ranger I think. Two, he should even have them over to dinner the night before he starts hunting them (At dawn they're out the door while he chills in the parlor, at sunset he starts following). Make it a set of encounters. 1st is hunting animals, if the party survives and kills his pets, he says 'Good show' and leaves them for a few hours.
2nd encounter, a bunch of minions are beating the bushes for him (similar to foxhunts where one hunter has about 20 servants).
3rd, could be the ranger himself. Perhaps by then the PCs have even decided to take the fight to him.

A final surprise encounter, when leaving his demesne, they're attacked by druids/treants whatever, who think the party is a group of servants of the evil ranger, whom they've been keeping penned inside his valley for sometime.

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-02, 05:48 PM
What about some shepherd who won't keep his sheep or goats off the main road? It would be fun if you let it up like a random encounter, the animals coming at them, and then have a very angry man pissed off at their attempts to make roast lamb.

Storms also could be good with lightning strikes and falling trees.

Dairun Cates
2009-11-02, 08:25 PM
On the route of hired killers. You'd be surprised how ridiculously annoying a rogue sniper can be without actually killing the party. I managed to hold off a party of 6 level 16 character with one really annoying level 18 rogue.

herrhauptmann
2009-11-02, 09:26 PM
On the route of hired killers. You'd be surprised how ridiculously annoying a rogue sniper can be without actually killing the party. I managed to hold off a party of 6 level 16 character with one really annoying level 18 rogue.

Make it a level 10ish cragtop archer/arcane archer :) Not sure how well that would mesh, but raining magical death on them from the horizon would be nice. Would also do wonders to drain party resources well before they get near him.

Grifthin
2009-11-04, 04:19 AM
I've been thinking plant attack - something like creepers who start slithering and entombing them while they sleep. Have them try and hack them off to free themselves.

pasko77
2009-11-04, 05:38 AM
Currently the part consists of:

Level 7 Kender Monk

Wait, what?