PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Can a tiny creature 5.ft step? Would it provoke entering an enemy square?

Pika...
2009-11-02, 03:36 PM
Hey,

I can not seem to be able to find this anywhere. Can those more experienced please help me.

Could say, a squirrel PC of tiny sized who is candy flavored, or a tiny pixie PC flying through the air or walking on land, five-foot-set?

And would they provoke entering an enemy's square five-foot-stepping assuming they can?

Many pikas!

Geech000
2009-11-02, 04:20 PM
Base speed of a tiny creature is 2.5 feet, right?

Personally, I would rule that if you don't have at least a 5 ft normal movement speed, you can't 5 ft step. However, I would house rule that they don't provoke attacks of opportunity for entering an opponent's square because they are just so small.

These are my opinions, not RAW.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-02, 04:23 PM
What is their base speed?
Yes, 5 foot steps never provoke.

I'm not sure you can 5 foot fly though.

Sallera
2009-11-02, 04:23 PM
:smallconfused: Base speed of 2.5ft? I think you might be confusing that with the amount of space they take up.

At any rate, yes, Tiny creatures can 5ft step, and (as far as I can tell) 5ft stepping into an opponent's square will not provoke AoOs.

Edit: Oh, and you can 5ft step with any movement mode you have a listed speed for, so no problem doing it while flying.

AstralFire
2009-11-02, 04:25 PM
What is their base speed?
Yes, 5 foot steps never provoke.

I'm not sure you can 5 foot fly though.

I'm not sure either, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. Generally, unless otherwise specified, the movement speeds function exactly like one another.

Telonius
2009-11-02, 04:34 PM
It depends on the movement of the creature in question.

From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#take5FootStep):

Take 5-Foot Step

You can move 5 feet in any round when you don’t perform any other kind of movement. Taking this 5-foot step never provokes an attack of opportunity. You can’t take more than one 5-foot step in a round, and you can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round when you move any distance.

You can take a 5-foot step before, during, or after your other actions in the round.

You can only take a 5-foot step if your movement isn’t hampered by difficult terrain or darkness. Any creature with a speed of 5 feet or less can’t take a 5-foot step, since moving even 5 feet requires a move action for such a slow creature.

You may not take a 5-foot step using a form of movement for which you do not have a listed speed.

Emphasis added. This means that a tiny creature can take a five foot step, provided that its normal movement is 10 feet or more. Not sure what the stats are for a squirrel, but that would determine it. For a pixie, it has 20 foot walking speed and 60 fly; so yes, it could do a 5-foot step.

Regarding moving through a square (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#movingthroughaSqua re):

Opponent

You can’t move through a square occupied by an opponent, unless the opponent is helpless. You can move through a square occupied by a helpless opponent without penalty. (Some creatures, particularly very large ones, may present an obstacle even when helpless. In such cases, each square you move through counts as 2 squares.)

Ending Your Movement

You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.

Overrun

During your movement you can attempt to move through a square occupied by an opponent.

Tumbling

A trained character can attempt to tumble through a square occupied by an opponent (see the Tumble skill).

Very Small Creature

A Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creature can move into or through an occupied square. The creature provokes attacks of opportunity when doing so.
Square Occupied by Creature Three Sizes Larger or Smaller

Any creature can move through a square occupied by a creature three size categories larger than it is.

A big creature can move through a square occupied by a creature three size categories smaller than it is.

One general rule is, no moving through opponents' squares. The exceptions are tumbling; fine, diminutive, or tiny creatures; and creatures three size categories larger than you. Pixies are only Small, not Tiny. So, unless you're Tumbling through, or the opponent is Huge, you wouldn't be able to move through the square at all.

If you're Tumbling through (and your opponent is smaller than Huge), you're making a Move action, not taking a 5 foot step. If you succeed on the Tumble check, you can move through the enemy's square without provoking any attacks of opportunity.

Unless a creature specifically has an ability that has text to the contrary (i.e. swarm), is grappling, or is facing a helpless foe, it can't end its turn in another creature's square. So, no, your pixie can't take a five foot step into the opponent's square. That would put it in an illegal location by the end of its turn.

ericgrau
2009-11-02, 05:58 PM
Hey,

I can not seem to be able to find this anywhere. Can those more experienced please help me.

Could say, a squirrel PC of tiny sized who is candy flavored, or a tiny pixie PC flying through the air or walking on land, five-foot-set?

And would they provoke entering an enemy's square five-foot-stepping assuming they can?

Many pikas!

1. Yes.
2. No.

5 foot steps never provoke. Unless the creature's speed is reduced to 5 feet, in which case it's a move action to move 5 feet and not really a 5 foot step. The issue is that tiny creatures must enter a creature's square to attack it. Since they must leave the square adjacent to that creature to enter its square, they provoke an attack of opportunity for leaving a threatened square on a move (but not on a 5 foot step). Well, assuming the target creature is threatening the squares around him.

KillianHawkeye
2009-11-02, 06:12 PM
Re: 5-foot steps while flying

You can only do this if your maneuverability is Good or Perfect. Otherwise, you need to maintain your minimum forward speed each round or else you will fall.

Anyway, a pixie doesn't need to enter another creature's space because it is Small not Tiny.