PDA

View Full Version : Converting Crossbow Feats to Firearm Feats (Pathfinder)

Ravens_cry
2009-11-02, 06:09 PM
Hello, I asked my DM in an upcoming campaign if I can play a ranger with a gun. He said sure, but I will have to make it myself, it will be expensive, both gold and skill point wise (craft: alchemy, craft:gunsmithing and profession: mining and about 800 gp for a primitive, likely to blow up in my face, gun.) and I don't start with one. I asked if I could convert come crossbow feats to gun feats and he said, OK, but he wants to see them first. He also wants to stick in core except fro the whole gun thing, and so comes my question. Should I just replace gun with crossbow and pistol for light crossbow and musket for heavy cross bow in the feats, or should I get more involved then that?
Thank you in advance for any assistance forthcoming from the collection of brains we call Giant in the Playground Forums.

Tiki Snakes
2009-11-02, 06:13 PM
Hello, I asked my DM in an upcoming campaign if I can play a ranger with a gun. He said sure, but I will have to make it myself, it will be expensive, both gold and skill point wise (craft: alchemy, craft:gunsmithing and profession: mining and about 800 gp for a primitive, likely to blow up in my face, gun.) and I don't start with one. I asked if I could convert come crossbow feats to gun feats and he said, OK, but he wants to see them first. He also wants to stick in core except fro the whole gun thing, and so comes my question. Should I just replace gun with crossbow and pistol for light crossbow and musket for heavy cross bow in the feats, or should I get more involved then that?
Thank you in advance for any assistance forthcoming from the collection of brains we call Giant in the Playground Forums.

I'd say that yeah, keep it simple where possible. You're already pushing your luck a wee bit, so making sure they are as close to core as possible should make getting them okay'ed simpler. :)

The main thing to ask is re: guns reliability. Sounds like a matter of balancing it, so what stats are they going to have? If it's closer to crossbows, again, you may be more able to avoid exploding, by being ruthlessly reasonable about things.

Ravens_cry
2009-11-02, 06:25 PM
Well, he explicitly said he was going to use the optional Backfire rules in the Pathfinder campaign setting guide. But I also get Exploding dice on crits, so that is a Good Thing. Aside from Rapid reload, is there any crossbow feats worth taking and changing?

Grumman
2009-11-02, 06:49 PM
Personally, I'd suggest just using a Great Crossbow (from Races of Stone) as a counts-as longrifle. That way you can avoid the trouble of balancing house rules one way or the other.

Akal Saris
2009-11-02, 07:56 PM
Why not just use the guns from PF while you're at it?

Ravens_cry
2009-11-02, 08:57 PM
Why not just use the guns from PF while you're at it?
Well, basically we are. But feat wise, guns aren't exactly supported much feat wise, and since guns are thematically similar to crossbows (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AutomaticCrossbows) I want to know if crossbow specific feats could be converted into fire arm feats without being over powered.