PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Keeping It Up (Rage)

Delandel
2009-11-02, 06:22 PM
Level 15 frenzied berserkering ubercharger in an epic battle versus a massive army that the DM says will last several minutes at least. This encounter is supposed to be very deadly. Only 3.5 books are allowed.

I have two ideas as how to survive:
1) Keep my health up so I don't die when deathless frenzy wears off (no healers)
2) DON'T STOP RAGING!

Option #1 I'm trying to achieve with Skin of Iron (grants you Iron Body, DR15/ adamantine), a keen bodyfeeding falchion that grants me temporary hp each time I crit, and a greater lifedrinking crystal that heals me for 50hp. Pretty good I'd say, but feels wierd when I have Deathless Frenzy.

Option #2 looks trickier but I'm hoping it's more rewarding. I want my rage + frenzy to last the entire battle. Then I don't even need to worry about my hp or any of that rubbish!

I turn to you guys for assistance on option #2 Keeping It Up. What are my options for extending my rage to last several minutes? There's the Extend Rage feat, there's raising my CON bonus, anything else? Items maybe? Potions? Spells? There will be arcane/divine casters in the group so scrolls are an option.

nekomata2
2009-11-02, 06:36 PM
The Brash weapon property from the Magic Item Compendium gives you an extra 3 rounds of rage, and also makes you immune to fear effects while you are raging, as an added bonus. Only a +1 bonus.

Complete Warrior has the extend rage feat, which makes it last 5 rounds longer. This feat can also be taken multiple times.

lsfreak
2009-11-02, 06:37 PM
Base Rage - 3 round
18 starting Con, +4 item, +3 book, +3 leveling bonus - 9 extra rounds
Rage + Reckless Rage feat (Races of Stone) - 3 extra rounds
1 level of bear warrior (CW) - 2 extra rounds
Extend Rage - 5 extra rounds

That gets you 22 rounds of rage.

EDIT: You don't get Greater Rage. Changed calculations.

Korivan
2009-11-02, 06:43 PM
Also, pick races that have a CON bonus if possible. Like Dwarf.

lsfreak
2009-11-02, 07:08 PM
Random thought that's probably not exactly what you're going for, but interesting nonetheless. Also a bit MAD since you'll want Dex thrown in there as well. Only possible (at your level) with human as your base and with flaws allowed.

Human Lion Totem Barbarian 2/Fighter4/Frenzied Berserker8/Bear Warrior1.
Feats:
Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Shock Trooper, Leap Attack, Cleave
Extra Rage, Extend Rage, Reckless Rage, Intimidating Rage, Destructive Rage
Combat Reflexes, Robilar's Gambit
Gear:
Keen Bodyfeeding Falchion

What you do:
Tank your AC between Rage, Frenzy, Shock Trooper, and Robilar's Gambit (that's -27 to your AC). The only thing keeping people from hitting you is miss chance. But, every swing they take provokes. Between power attack (made better by FB and leap attack), 3 different rages, and a bodyfeeding weapon, a single crit will give you over 100 temporary hit points, which should be plenty to last you through the hits it takes to get another hit.

EDIT: And, somehow over the last couple years, I never noticed that bear warriors actually turn into a bear. Huh. So change that level into FB.

Delandel
2009-11-02, 07:20 PM
For my purposes the best race for me is human, because I can take extend rage multiple times. I didn't know about the Brash enchant, thanks for that. I'd rather not be a bear warrior or else I'm stuck with 3 crappy natural attacks.

I was hoping for a rage that would last at least 5minutes, so 50 rounds. I guess that would be pretty tough to pull off though without sacrificing alot.

It looks like Option #1, keep myself healed, is an easier option to pull off then.

PinkysBrain
2009-11-02, 07:34 PM
Fiend Folio 3.5 enough for you? (It was on the edge and has an official 3.5 update.) If so pay a caster to planar bind&dominate a gutworm for you, it can instill a frenzy "identical to a barbarian rage" at will.

Doesn't help you with Frenzy though.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-11-02, 07:35 PM
For my purposes the best race for me is human, because I can take extend rage multiple times. I didn't know about the Brash enchant, thanks for that. I'd rather not be a bear warrior or else I'm stuck with 3 crappy natural attacks.

I was hoping for a rage that would last at least 5minutes, so 50 rounds. I guess that would be pretty tough to pull off though without sacrificing alot.

It looks like Option #1, keep myself healed, is an easier option to pull off then.

Bear Warrior's major drawback can be bypassed with hands of the man (Savage Species?). Wilding Clasps might also be needed to prevent having to put them on at the start of the rage.

PinkysBrain
2009-11-02, 07:50 PM
How about playing a Thrallherd with a frenzied berserker sidekick? Fusion before the battle and then use temporal reiteration to keep both the fusion and the rage+frenzy up ... use mind feeder weapons for extra PP once you run low.