PDA

View Full Version : Water controller (3.5)

Sutrahariel
2009-11-02, 07:33 PM
I need advice on a character. One of my players in a campaign I'm running died IC last weekend, and she want's to try something new and non-core. She's used to playing the parties face, bards, and rogues. But now she wants to play the blaster role (The Glass Cannon Sorcerer died with her) with an elemental flavour, most likely involving water.

Do you all have any ideas that I could show? Races? Classes/Prcs? Feats? Builds? I love uniqueness, and my only restrictions are no psionics or Incarnum

BRC
2009-11-02, 07:35 PM
You could do a Water Wu-Jen from Comp Arcane

Sutrahariel
2009-11-02, 07:46 PM
true, I thought about that. But would going straight 20 lvs. be a good idea?

Also, is there any creatures that could work? I was thinking about elemental Weirds, or maybe Half-Elementals.

Assassin89
2009-11-02, 07:46 PM
Elemental flavor you say? Why not become a water elemental with the use of the Elemental Savant Prc from complete Arcane. But to use that Prc, she would need energy substitution(cold).

Crafty Cultist
2009-11-02, 07:47 PM
Complete divine has some good water spells, such as tidal surge and maelstrom

Sutrahariel
2009-11-02, 07:55 PM
hmm...so Wu Jen/Elemental Savant perhaps? Elemental Savent is slightly annoying, it allows only cold. My player might like it though.

ghashxx
2009-11-02, 08:22 PM
It isn't specifically water oriented, but it's the same vibe. The prestige class "Stormcaster" out of Stormwrack looks pretty impressive to the point that the next spell caster I make might do this class. Hurricane winds whipping around and I can't get blow down? I'll take that any day, especially when combined with grease and freezing the rain to make the area slippery. As to spells from Sorcerer/Wizard, I don't think there's that much out there, and I'm not all that knowledgeable about the Wu Jen.

Akal Saris
2009-11-02, 08:30 PM
Yeah, Stormcaster looked sweet to me.

You could give her the Half-Elemental (Water) template at a reduced LA - that would give lots of cool water-related abilities.

Water Devotion (CC) is pretty nifty, by the way - I used it to make a conjurer for a Warcraft game that summoned Water Elementals all day long, as they do in WC I & WC III.

Xefas
2009-11-02, 08:45 PM
If you don't mind homebrew stuff, the Waterbender (http://avatar.d20.googlepages.com/waterbender2.0) might be a good option.

Also, general bending stuff (http://avatar.d20.googlepages.com/bending-version2.0) (with links to the other bending classes) and home page. (http://avatar.d20.googlepages.com/)

I've always wanted to try these classes but haven't gotten the opportunity.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-03, 12:01 AM
Water Gensai is far better on a caster than levels of Elemental Savant or taking Half-Elemental. Rule number 1 of optimizing:..... Thou Shalt not Lose Caster Levels.

Akal Saris
2009-11-03, 12:19 AM
Well, yeah, but this is the DM here - if he says there's no LA (or even a very low LA) for the character, poof! Even on a caster, LA can be worth it sometimes - just not with any of the published templates :P

Starsinger
2009-11-03, 04:55 AM
I would go with Force effects represented as bursts of water myself, if only because they're prevalent and mostly it won't matter. (Except Incorporeal creatures) Also I'm gonna recommend Sorcerer and say you should let her take spells from the Wu Jen's Water list. (Or even the Shugenja (Complete Divine) list but their water spells contain healing spells.)

Alternatively you could look at Shugenja, but it's a very... fractured class IMO.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-03, 11:29 AM
Water Gensai is far better on a caster than levels of Elemental Savant or taking Half-Elemental. Rule number 1 of optimizing:..... Thou Shalt not Lose Caster Levels.

Doesn't Water Genasi lose more CL than Elemental Savant? IIRC (though this is prolly wrong) Elemental Savant was full casting, compared to a LA +1

Fishy
2009-11-03, 11:42 AM
There are plenty of ways to get mini water-elemental servants, too. Druids can get an Elemental Companion, there's the Animate Water spell right there at level 1, and of course the Water Devotion and Summon Elemental feats.

Deth Muncher
2009-11-03, 11:45 AM
Eberron also has Elemental Grafts. So, y'know, go Half-Water Elemental, and the other half, also Water Elemental thanks to grafts.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-03, 12:09 PM
Doesn't Water Genasi lose more CL than Elemental Savant? IIRC (though this is prolly wrong) Elemental Savant was full casting, compared to a LA +1IIRC, Elemental Savant loses 3 levels of casting. Plus it actively prevents you from using elements other than the one, which is a major nerf.

ErrantX
2009-11-03, 12:22 PM
If you don't mind homebrew stuff, the Waterbender (http://avatar.d20.googlepages.com/waterbender2.0) might be a good option.

Also, general bending stuff (http://avatar.d20.googlepages.com/bending-version2.0) (with links to the other bending classes) and home page. (http://avatar.d20.googlepages.com/)

I've always wanted to try these classes but haven't gotten the opportunity.

2nded. Use our stuff! :smallbiggrin:

-X

Tavar
2009-11-03, 12:51 PM
You know, there's an Avatar game trying to get started down in the PbP games section. If you want to try them out, head on down.

Ravens_cry
2009-11-03, 01:32 PM
Spell Thematics: Water would also be nice. Magic missile look like giant rain drops. Someone going invisible would look as clear as water and wavery, before disappearing entirely. Grease would be a splash of water falling down. Or not, that's the beauty of spell thematics.

Eloel
2009-11-03, 02:19 PM
Spell Thematics: Water would also be nice. Magic missile look like giant rain drops. Someone going invisible would look as clear as water and wavery, before disappearing entirely. Grease would be a splash of water falling down. Or not, that's the beauty of spell thematics.

Spell Thematics is the feat I've laughed at most. Including Dodge.

You need to take a feat (crunch), for nothing but flavor (fluff) ?

Those shouldn't mix.

Claudius Maximus
2009-11-03, 02:37 PM

Those shouldn't mix.

It gives a few mechanical bonuses, including a caster level increase.

Druids have some neat water spells. Standing Wave, Control Water, and good old Waterball. You could let her take these spells with other classes if you want.

Ravens_cry
2009-11-03, 02:46 PM

Those shouldn't mix.
Ah, but it's nice to see the look on peoples face when you make a flaming sphere look like a giant, sizzling hamburger rolling along, a Floating Disk look like a giant pizza and have the feat to say, "Yes, I can."
Plus, the added crunch is still useful.