PDA

View Full Version : Red Hand of Doom: Inserting a less than normal character

desmond1323
2009-11-02, 09:02 PM
(to skip tl;dr, go on down to main question at bottom)

So, as a few people may know, I've begun running Red Hand of Doom.

Any and all details on that can be seen in the only other two threads I've started.

Since this doesn't really belong in either of those...I've started a new one, so here's the problem...er, minor complication might be better.

Anyways, one of my players (specifically the guy who's my DM in my other group, where we just finished RHoD) has told me of this wonderful idea that he wants to incorporate.

Whilst he already plays a Gnomish wizard (and a damn fine one too, I might add), he has asked permission to play a Lizardfolk druid as well....introduced in the Saarvith and the swamp portion of RHoD. Which are filled with Lizardfolk.

I love this idea...partially 'cause I played a Druid when I played RHoD and love the class...but also because it's something different in my DnD experience...playing a much more non-standard race.

So I'm not averse to having the character....but what I need is this:

How do I properly allow this character to join? Where might be the best place? Any convincing motivation why he would leave his tribe?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-02, 09:04 PM
How do I properly allow this character to join? Where might be the best place? Any convincing motivation why he would leave his tribe?

Got caught in the hot springs with the chieftan's daughter... and his wife.

desmond1323
2009-11-02, 09:39 PM
Got caught in the hot springs with the chieftan's daughter... and his wife.

While that is epically hilarious and deserves serious kudos...I'd like a more serious way to introduce said character....while my game has it's silly moments, I try and keep things a little more serious.

barteem
2009-11-02, 09:50 PM
Have one or several of the PCs save the life of the Lizzy.
It could then be a blood oath to return the favor to the PC who saved him.
Before this can ever happen, they become friends and then it's simple as adventurers running together.

As a start.

Count Dravda
2009-11-02, 10:10 PM
Spoilered for...spoilers.

RHoD mentions that several lizardfolk paddle towards the center of the lake, the dragon can be heard roaring, and then they come running out one man short. (The dragon didn't take kindly to their request to wipe out a rival group across the lake). This implies that the lizardfolk not only participate in a lot of infighting, but the dragon treats its servants harshly (he killed one just there, I believe). Your character was either the victim of an attack by another lizardfolk group, or betrayed by his dragon god.

-Count Dravda

desmond1323
2009-11-02, 10:27 PM
Actually, I'm liking sort of a combo of Dravda and Barteem's ideas...

I had forgotten about that part about the folk and the dragon...so I could have that be his initial motivation. The party, however, finds him out in the swamp being attacked...by...

Ah, curses I did that already!

When I introduced the fighter, he was surrounded by hobbos, and eventually joined up with the party that saved him.

But to finish...they find him being attacked by greenspawns in the swamp...we'll say he's more intelligent (don't know yet because I haven't seen a build yet) and figured out that his tribe was actually in danger from Saarvith and the dragon, so he was out trying to find someone to tell the Wyrmlord's secrets to...

I like it, but I don't like how similar it is to my other intro....now I kinda wish I didn't do that one, so I could do this one.

But still, will keep in mind. Thanks!

Anything else?

Coidzor
2009-11-02, 10:49 PM
He's sulking because his people have been led astray by the dragon and he's amicable to doing stuff to screw with the bugger to break his hold?

Edit:OO! OO!

This reminds me! You can take this as an opportunity to do something I've thought since I first learned about the lizardfolk being taken over by the green-spawn factory...

Have the lizardfolks' eggs be taken ransom/hostage/for protection (or have the hatchery for the greenspawn just have been the communal egg clutch that got taken over) and the greenspawn are actually being made by warping and twisting the lizardfolk eggs!

ed2:...

It's really embarrassing when you're ninja'd by a post below yours.

desmond1323
2009-11-02, 10:57 PM
OK....seems like motivation is easy...now I just need a SITUATION.

desmond1323
2009-11-02, 11:09 PM
And I got it!!!

The Lizardfolk druid is a longtime friend of the elves nearby. When the party arrives, he's already there....and decides to help the adventurers, as Saarvith and the dragon are merely using his people.

In fact, their using Lizardfolk eggs as a catalyst for the raising of greenspawns!

Ah, excellent! Though it could perhaps open up a can of worms on the party having an actual Lizardfolk on the team when they're assaulting the place...but, eh, I'll deal with that easily enough.

Thanks all!

barteem
2009-11-03, 01:13 PM
That works!