PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing a Ruby Knight Vindicator

Commander_Vimes
2009-11-03, 01:53 AM
I am going to be playing in a high powered campaign and I'd like to run a fairly optimized Vindicator. Right now I am thinking Crusader 1/Cleric 4/Vindicator 10 but I don't know what will be good for the last five levels. I do not want to lose any more caster levels.

Should I prioritize Wisdom or Strength first?

I have not played anything from ToB before. Are there any maneuvers or stances that would help this build?

Are there any feats I should look for? I have heard that there are some good domain devotion feats but I haven't seen them. Which book are they in?

SurlySeraph
2009-11-03, 01:57 AM
The domain devotion feats are in Complete Champion. Knowledge Devotion is a great one, giving you attack and damage boosts basically for free. Death Devotion makes your attacks deal negative levels, and can be very effective if used properly (though it's best in a full-attack-oriented build, which most ToB builds aren't).

More advice when I think of it.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-03, 01:58 AM
Say hello to Chuck (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19861942/Chuck_E_Cheese).

Note: The previous link does not necessarily represent an endorsement of TO used in actual games. Use of Chuck may cause flung books, bannings, and massive nerfage. Do not use Chuck in a game with Tier 3 or lower characters. Always consult your DM before building anything related to TO.

The Glyphstone
2009-11-03, 02:01 AM
Didn't errata kill Chuck by adding [Dismissable] to Footsteps of the Divine?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-03, 02:08 AM
Didn't errata kill Chuck by adding [Dismissible] to Footsteps of the Divine?Dischargable, you mean? The errata is wrong. Doing that makes the spell useless, because the [Dischargable] tag makes the spell end before the final speed boost.

Plus, that's a build that got made WotC errata something. This is the company that never errata'd a class getting 6x(6+int) skillpoints at first level, so making them fix an issue is remarkable on it's own.

Eldariel
2009-11-03, 04:26 AM
You may want to postpone the last 3 levels of Ruby Knight Vindicator to get higher level maneuvers access from them. You also probably want to pick up Crusader 1 on level 5 to get level 2 maneuvers from it (given RKV doesn't get too many either).

And you probably want some Cleric PrC for the last levels; something like Radiant Servant, Contemplative, Divine Disciple, Sacred Exorcist or similar. None have full BAB, but c'est la vie; you'll still end with 17 BAB (or 16 if you pick a ˝ BAB class like Contemplative) so it's not that bad.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-11-03, 06:40 AM
Divine Oracle 4+ is a great filler/finish to any melee caster build, plus you can visit the Frog God's Fane in Complete Scoundrel so you don't even need to spend a feat to get it.

Sinfire Titan
2009-11-03, 10:14 AM
Chuck still works, even if the DM agrees that he can't persist the ability. You expend an Extended Footsteps, activating Travel Devotion to get the extra movement. You then use Travel Devotion twice and then Tornado Throw them. The damage and distance is considerably smaller than the original, but they still take massive amounts of damage. This version has the advantage of being able to do repeat performances.

Douglas
2009-11-03, 10:36 AM
Dischargable, you mean? The errata is wrong. Doing that makes the spell useless, because the [Dischargable] tag makes the spell end before the final speed boost.
How so? The exact wording is:

Page 121 – Footsteps of the
Divine [Substitution]
Under Duration, the entry should say “See text.”
[Revision]
The two final sentences should read, “You can discharge the spell to add +10 feet to your speed per remaining round of the spell’s duration. This effect lasts until the end of your turn.”

They did not "add the dischargable tag", they changed the wording to use the word "discharge" while staying perfectly clear about exactly what happens.

Myrmex
2009-11-03, 12:46 PM
Dischargable, you mean? The errata is wrong. Doing that makes the spell useless, because the [Dischargable] tag makes the spell end before the final speed boost.

The rules cannot be wrong just because they make something useless; rather they make that thing useless.

Monks & fighters are really great, too, when you don't follow the rules.

jiriku
2009-11-03, 02:13 PM
Travel Devotion and Knowledge Devotion work very well. I'm personally a fan of Law Devotion, but if you're planning to involve DMM in your build you probably won't have enough turn uses to spare.