PDA

View Full Version : Wizard 13 vs. Fighter 20, fight four.

Ernir
2009-11-03, 05:18 AM
Yukitsu, Wizard vs. Wckd, Fighter

Map:
You meet in the parking lot. You are outdoors.
http://i37.tinypic.com/2ymubmd.png
The red cars are 4' tall, the blue ones are 7' tall vans.

For Yukitsu:
You are standing at E19. The Simulacrum is standing next to you at C19:D20. You do not see your opposition.

Wckd:
You are standing at W9. You do not see your opposition.

You may roll initiative.

Wckd
2009-11-03, 09:20 AM
Initiative roll:

Lucky Start reroll:
[Roll]1d20+15
Danger Sense Reroll:
1d20+15

I may choose the highest of the rerolls.

Wckd
2009-11-03, 09:25 AM
Seems like it didn't work to put the re-rolls in the previous post, so here they are:

[roll0]
[roll1]

The best of these two counts. :)
-
The dice really hate me today, a 1 a 2 and a 7? It's not looking good :/
Anyway the initiative for Yukitsu to beat is 24.

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 11:23 AM
[roll0]

Let's have a go at it. Looks like you're up.

Ernir
2009-11-03, 11:44 AM
*Is present*

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 03:09 PM
As an aside, just because that little dot that indicates whether or not I'm there is grey doesn't means I'm not actually watching. I may just be signed out and waiting.

Ernir
2009-11-03, 03:20 PM
OK.

In my case, it is a pretty good indicator.

Wckd
2009-11-03, 06:02 PM
When submitting the sheet I should probably have mentioned that the potions were used right before entering the arena, and that I start with the hammer in the left hand and the bow in the right hand. If that changes anything for example being able to notice an invisible person, then let me know as my actions will probably be different.

Carol Wozniarch will look for the opposition while first ascending 30 feet and then descending back onto the ground.

Spot: [roll0]

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 06:17 PM
Will that be all sir?

Wckd
2009-11-03, 06:26 PM
Yes but only if Ernir doesn't have any new information for either of us based on the content of that spoiler. If new information is provided, then something else might happen too/instead. :)

Ernir
2009-11-03, 06:40 PM
When submitting the sheet I should probably have mentioned that the potions were used right before entering the arena, and that I start with the hammer in the left hand and the bow in the right hand. If that changes anything for example being able to notice an invisible person, then let me know as my actions will probably be different.

Carol Wozniarch will look for the opposition while first ascending 30 feet and then descending back onto the ground.

Spot: [roll0]

You do not see your opposition.

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 06:41 PM
Am I up, or is he?

Wckd
2009-11-03, 06:42 PM
Your move Y.

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 06:44 PM
My Simulacrum will cast invisibility, then move up to 80 feet and K16. I will act based on information it gives me.

Not end of turn.

Ernir
2009-11-03, 06:51 PM
Yukitsu:
Your Solar sees nothing.

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 06:54 PM
I will move to T16, then use my other move to teleport behind T20, ducking down. I'll ready a standard to hit him with bands of iron after he moves.

Edit: I'm done.

Ernir
2009-11-03, 07:01 PM
I will move to T16, then use my other move to teleport behind T20, ducking down. I'll ready a standard to hit him with bands of iron after he moves.

So that is a swift action Travel Devotion move + move action move + readied action in case you see him?

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 07:03 PM
Yes, that is correct.

Ernir
2009-11-03, 07:05 PM
OK, Wckd, your turn.

Ernir
2009-11-03, 07:26 PM
Going to take a shower, see you in a bit.

Wckd
2009-11-03, 07:32 PM
Same movement as before: 30 up, checks and if I don't spot or hear any opposition then 30 down.
Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
If I locate any creature I will be using a free action to holster the hammer and make a ranged attack at the creature.
If I don't locate any creature I will end my turn back on the ground with both weapons in hand.

Haven't ended the turn yet.

Ernir
2009-11-03, 07:53 PM
Same movement as before: 30 up, checks and if I don't spot or hear any opposition then 30 down.
Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
If I locate any creature I will be using a free action to holster the hammer and make a ranged attack at the creature.
If I don't locate any creature I will end my turn back on the ground with both weapons in hand.

Wckd:One HUGE correction for you. You were supposed to start at X10, not W9. I hope this does not change any actions you'd have taken.
(Otherwise, you'd nearly have started with LoS to one another. Ick.)

So, as you fly up from X10 (:smallredface:), you see a great, winged creature flying 80' above K16. It was clearly looking for you too, as as soon as your eyes meet, it shouts out your location.

How do you holster as a free action?

Yukitsu:You suddenly hear your Solar shout that the enemy is located 30' above X10.

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 07:58 PM
[roll0] spot. If I can see him, I can use bands of steel on him at this range. Reflex DC 22.

Ernir
2009-11-03, 08:00 PM
[roll0] spot. If I can see him, I can use bands of steel on him at this range. Reflex DC 22.
The Solar sees the enemy. You, on the other hand, are crouching behind a van. How do you intend to establish LoS?

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 08:02 PM
If he's that high up, I may be able to see him while crouched. Isn't the red car only 4 feet tall?

Ernir
2009-11-03, 08:05 PM
If he's that high up, I may be able to see him while crouched. Isn't the red car only 4 feet tall?You are at T16, that is, you are crouched and the car next to you is a 7' tall van. You do not have LoS.

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 08:06 PM
No, I'm at T20, behind a red car.

Ernir
2009-11-03, 08:09 PM
No, I'm at T20, behind a red car.Did you edit that a minute after posting, or am I going insane? 0_o

Anyway. That means you can establish LoS by standing up. Neeeevermind.

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 08:10 PM
OK, I'm at T20, and am hitting you with a readied spell. Please make a reflex save.

Wckd
2009-11-03, 08:40 PM

Wckd:One HUGE correction for you. You were supposed to start at X10, not W9. I hope this does not change any actions you'd have taken.
(Otherwise, you'd nearly have started with LoS to one another. Ick.)

So, as you fly up from X10 (:smallredface:), you see a great, winged creature flying 80' above K16. It was clearly looking for you too, as as soon as your eyes meet, it shouts out your location.

How do you holster as a free action?

That really messed up my strategy! The car in v10 w10 is being used as cover! :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious: Since my strategy is messed up now I guess this means a restart!

Quickdraw lets me draw or holster a weapon as a free action.
Ascending was my move action, so I would still be able to attack.

Ernir
2009-11-03, 08:55 PM
That really messed up my strategy! The car in v10 w10 is being used as cover! :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious: Since my strategy is messed up now I guess this means a restart!

Quickdraw lets me draw or holster a weapon as a free action.
Ascending was my move action, so I would still be able to attack.

If it means anything to you, starting at W9 means you would have been detected in the first round, as soon as Yukitsu's turn came up. At X10, you remained undetected for another turn. My mess-up was advantageous to you. Do you still demand a restart?

And Quick Draw only lets you draw as a free action, not holster. Really.

Wckd
2009-11-03, 09:23 PM
If it means anything to you, starting at W9 means you would have been detected in the first round, as soon as Yukitsu's turn came up. At X10, you remained undetected for another turn. My mess-up was advantageous to you. Do you still demand a restart?

And Quick Draw only lets you draw as a free action, not holster. Really.

Yes, a restart is needed! As the game would have been very different if I had started in W9.

If you look at chapter 8 of the player's handbook you can't find sheathing a weapon on any of the tables. But on page 142 the action of drawing or sheating a weapon is described in the same section. If sheathing a weapon would not be affected by quick draw it would have had it's own space both on the tables and in the description section!

Yukitsu unfortunately a restart is necessary due to a mix-up in the starting position of my character. My actions thus far was based on the starting position I had been given in the first post of the thread, which I now have been told was supposed to be another position.

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 09:25 PM
Meh, sure. May as well do your first two turns as my actions won't change in all likelyhood.

Ernir
2009-11-03, 09:33 PM
Oookay. Wckd, You start at the other location. What do you do?

Quick Draw does not let you sheathe as a free action. The feat describes nothing to that effect. Period.

Wckd
2009-11-03, 09:34 PM
Meh, sure. May as well do your first two turns as my actions won't change in all likelyhood.

Sure, but we both need a new starting position first.
I suggest we get some sleep now and get back to it tomorrow. :smallsmile:

Ernir
2009-11-03, 09:37 PM
Good idea. 2:42 AM here.

I'll try to find a more entertaining way to mess things up next time. I'll make a new thread tomorrow.

And sorry, to both of you. This was my fault entirely this time.

Wckd
2009-11-03, 10:16 PM
Oookay. Wckd, You start at the other location. What do you do?

Quick Draw does not let you sheathe as a free action. The feat describes nothing to that effect. Period.

I can't believe what you are saying here. It does work for sheathing weapons as well as drawing them, and it has always been that way in all games that I have participated in and the players handbook agrees with me on the matter!

That you choose to houserule it now has more impact on my strategy and build than you probably think! For crying out loud I only took the feat and made the hammer the way it is because quick draw works for sheathing a weapon as well as drawing one! I wouldn't have chosen to bring a hammer into this game if it didn't work like that! I also wouldn't have chosen Improved Unarmed Strike and Stunning fist if I had an extra feat I could spare to get Shoot on the run as well as the prerequisite feats for it!
:smallfurious:

I should probably not make another post before I have slept, because I would probably lash out at you which is not my intention. I am pissed at you at the moment both for this ruling but also for not double checking things like I do, but I know that I should be thankful that you are willing to DM all these fights, check sheets and in other ways spend a lot of your time. I do appreciate that, and you have my thanks for that!

Aracor
2009-11-03, 11:05 PM
To Wckd:
He is absolutely correct, and his ruling is NOT a house rule. The feat is very specific. You may DRAW a weapon as a free action instead of a move action. It says nothing about putting away weapons. Page 142 is specific as well. If you have a base attack bonus of +1, you may draw a weapon as part of a move. Again, it specifies draw. The section says that both drawing and sheathing a weapon are move actions normally, but it only mentions drawing a weapon (not sheathing) as changing with base attack bonus, or in the case of the quick draw feat, as a free action.

It is a common house rule to apply quick draw to sheath a weapon as well as drawing it, but it IS a house rule. Sorry. The feat doesn't say sheath, and the description of the two puts them in the same section, but does differentiate between them.

Yukitsu
2009-11-04, 12:18 PM
When will you guys be on? My schedule is all over the place today, but I'll likely be able to go through all this.

ghostaxe
2009-11-04, 12:30 PM
To Wckd:
He is absolutely correct, and his ruling is NOT a house rule. The feat is very specific. You may DRAW a weapon as a free action instead of a move action. It says nothing about putting away weapons. Page 142 is specific as well. If you have a base attack bonus of +1, you may draw a weapon as part of a move. Again, it specifies draw. The section says that both drawing and sheathing a weapon are move actions normally, but it only mentions drawing a weapon (not sheathing) as changing with base attack bonus, or in the case of the quick draw feat, as a free action.

It is a common house rule to apply quick draw to sheath a weapon as well as drawing it, but it IS a house rule. Sorry. The feat doesn't say sheath, and the description of the two puts them in the same section, but does differentiate between them.

To Aracor, wckd:

Actually, it's not so reasonable from a common sense perspective that Quick Draw allows you to sheathe weapons quickly. In both marksmanship and kenjutsu, at least, putting your weapon away is significantly slower than drawing it. If you holster your gun too quickly, you might shoot yourself in the foot, and if you try to sheathe a katana too quickly, you're likely to mutilate your left hand.

Ernir
2009-11-04, 03:01 PM
When will you guys be on? My schedule is all over the place today, but I'll likely be able to go through all this.

From now and for most of the next five hours or so.

Making posts.