PDA

View Full Version : Warlock/Fighter Build (e3.5)

andre3w
2009-11-03, 12:21 PM
I will play in drow campaign and I think about playing warlock. I invented some build which I find cool, but I need some help with finishing it.
I think about making warlock skilled in melee fighting by leveling like this:

warlock 6/demonbinder 1/fighter 13

Demonbinder is Prc from Drow of the Underdark

It gives me access to lesser invocations, and with cloak of charisma +6 also to binding marilith, what gives me six hands.

Then I'll take multihand fighting feats from savage spieces, what gives me three attacks with each off hand.

My atributes are 18,17,16,14,14,12
By this I get:
BAB: +17/+12/+7/+2
Fort: 10
Will: 11
Ref: 6

Dex bonus is estimated to be +9 at 20 level, maybe alittle more if I'll have access to manual of quickness of action, what makes it +12
My attacks would be: +29/+29/+29/+29/+29/+29/+24/+24/+24/+24/+24/+24/+19/+19/+19/+19/+19/+19/+14 plus weapons enchantement plus feats to anyone of them.

I need help with choosing feats and optimising this build.
Uptil now I've chosen:
Multidexterity
Multiweapon fighting
Improved multiweapon fighting
Greater multiweapon fighting
Weapon Finesse
Additional Invocation x2
Quickened Spelllike ability (Flee the Scene)

Thinking about weapon focus/specialization feats, but I'm not sure about them yet.

It leaves me 6 feats. from which 2 have to be chosen from fighter feats list.

Also I have to choose weapon which I can use with weapon finesse and some buffing invocations.
My thoughts about invocations:
Least:
Entropic Warding
Baleful Utterance
Devil's Sight

Lesser:
Fell Flight
Flee the Scene
Walk Unseen

The last aspect is optional prestige class for a fighter to get even more powerfull, but it implicates feats loss.

Any thoughts? Tips? Opinions?
What do you think, guys?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-03, 12:26 PM
Feats are generally unnecessary. I recommend just dumping everything into Dex, Cha, and Con, taking the Eldrich Glaive invocation(Dragon, allows you to full-attack with reach and make AoOs with your Eldrich Blast) and Wep Finesse, Empower and Quicken SLA, then snagging a couple decent Blast Essences. Maybe go Hellfire if you really want to stack up the d6s.

Your Invocations and your EB are all the Warlock gets. Don't lose those for Fighter levels.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-11-03, 12:28 PM
As I said on the other thread:

Opinions? Drop the Fighter 13. Go Warlock 17/Demonbinder 1/Fighter 2 (if you really, really want those fighter levels)

Why? One reason: Eldritch Glaive.

Sure, you'll lose out on some attacks. But, when you make a full-round attack using the Eldritch Glaive invocation, each strike you make will be a melee touch attack that channels your full Eldritch Blast, and you'll threaten an area as if with a melee reach weapon.

With 17 Warlock levels, you'll have a Dark Invocation...in this case, you'll have Utterdark Blast.

Therefore, your attack routine will be as follows:

BaB: +14/+9/+4
Dex: +9
Six Arms

Melee Touch: +26/+26/+26/+26/+26/+26/+21/+21/+21/+21/+21/+21/+16/+16/+16/+16/+16/+16 (8d6 untyped damage + 2 negative levels)

This can be up to 38 negative levels a round. And your attack bonus with it isn't to shabby. This will 1-round kill a Solar, a Balor, or anything less than a Great Wyrm Red or Gold dragon (who it will reduce to a whimpering 2 HD creature if the damage doesn't kill it outright). 3-4 rounds of this will spell the end of a Great Wyrm Prismatic Dragon, clocking in at CR 66. Anything not immune to negative levels will be wasted instantly, and, if they are immune, you can add different effects with Eldritch Essence invocations.

Radiun
2009-11-03, 12:35 PM
As I said on the other thread:

Opinions? Drop the Fighter 13. Go Warlock 17/Demonbinder 1/Fighter 2 (if you really, really want those fighter levels)

Why? One reason: Eldritch Glaive.

Sure, you'll lose out on some attacks. But, when you make a full-round attack using the Eldritch Glaive invocation, each strike you make will be a melee touch attack that channels your full Eldritch Blast, and you'll threaten an area as if with a melee reach weapon.

With 17 Warlock levels, you'll have a Dark Invocation...in this case, you'll have Utterdark Blast.

Therefore, your attack routine will be as follows:

BaB: +14/+9/+4
Dex: +9
Six Arms

Melee Touch: +26/+26/+26/+26/+26/+26/+21/+21/+21/+21/+21/+21/+16/+16/+16/+16/+16/+16 (8d6 untyped damage + 2 negative levels)

This can be up to 38 negative levels a round. And your attack bonus with it isn't to shabby. This will 1-round kill a Solar, a Balor, or anything less than a Great Wyrm Red or Gold dragon (who it will reduce to a whimpering 2 HD creature if the damage doesn't kill it outright). 3-4 rounds of this will spell the end of a Great Wyrm Prismatic Dragon, clocking in at CR 66. Anything not immune to negative levels will be wasted instantly, and, if they are immune, you can add different effects with Eldritch Essence invocations.

Six arms?
18 attacks?

Pray tell, how?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-11-03, 12:38 PM
Six arms?
18 attacks?

Pray tell, how?

I don't know. That was given in the first post. I just ran with it.

lsfreak
2009-11-03, 12:40 PM

Yea, I think he got that wrong. You don't make iterative attacks with natural weapons, you only get the six attacks.

Though DiT's evaluation is right, I'd rather go full into warlock rather than taking fighter levels.

Radiun
2009-11-03, 12:40 PM

Oh all right, I just don't think eldritch Glaive creates a Glaive for every 2 arms you have, so I was quite confused

andre3w
2009-11-03, 12:46 PM
Six arms?
18 attacks?

Pray tell, how?

Demonbinder Prc allows you to bind with you some kinds of demons. One of them is Marilith. Binding marilith gives you 4 additional arms, 40 additional hp and for some more wasted bind points will give eldritch glaive without shapes and essences at -5 to attack as a swift action.

See more in Drow of the Underdark 3.5.

And I'm also not sure if Eldritch Glaive will work for every of my arms...
If yes, I'd take supernatural transformation feat from savage spieces for my eldritch blast, what makes it supernatural ability. It will make OC worthless against this attack.

Edit:
I'm sure it won't work for all the hands, it allows me for max 4 attacks (If BAB>=+16). So Fighter levels are still a good solution.

Tokiko Mima
2009-11-03, 01:02 PM
SLA's don't work like this, sadly. When you use Eldritch Blast that's invoking your eldritch damage and it take a standard action to do, not an attack action. You can't substitute in Eldritch Blasts for melee/ranged attacks you might get via iterative or natural weapons.

It's important to realize when you're dealing with eldritch blast, you're casting a spell even if the Blast Shape/Essense/Invocation text makes it sound like you're making melee/ranged combat attacks. Invocations and Eldritch blast follow all the rules for Spell-like Abilities, including provoking AoO's and disruption. For example, you cannot Quicken/Empower/Maximize a normal melee attack, but you can Quicken SLA an Eldritch Glaive attack; even though it sounds like a melee full attack in the text.

Your best shot at doing a ridiculous amount of damage with Eldritch Blast, IMO is to max out your HD via Polymorph and use Divine Power + Eldritch Glaive and whatever Meta SLA feats you can stack.

Edit: Reread DoTU to make sure. You can spend a damnation point as a swift action to fire an eldritch blast (at -5 to the attack roll and sans any Blast Shape/Essenses) from one of your new limbs. But since you generally only get one swift action a round, it won't be from every hand and certainly not from every melee attack you'd be entitled to.

jiriku
2009-11-03, 01:29 PM
Find ways to get pounce and reach, and ideally a way to charge over difficult terrain. Your damage potential drops through the floor if you can't full attack, so you need to devote some resources to ensuring that you'll full attack as often as possible.

AtwasAwamps
2009-11-03, 01:35 PM
This might help you out some:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870282/The_Glaivelock__A_MiniGuide

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-03, 01:36 PM
SLA's don't work like this, sadly. When you use Eldritch Blast that's invoking your eldritch damage and it take a standard action to do, not an attack action. You can't substitute in Eldritch Blasts for melee/ranged attacks you might get via iterative or natural weapons.Eldritch Glaive, however, does allow you to make iteratives with it. No clue what the extra arm thing is, though.
It's important to realize when you're dealing with eldritch blast, you're casting a spell even if the Blast Shape/Essense/Invocation text makes it sound like you're making melee/ranged combat attacks. Invocations and Eldritch blast follow all the rules for Spell-like Abilities, including provoking AoO's and disruption. For example, you cannot Quicken/Empower/Maximize a normal melee attack, but you can Quicken SLA an Eldritch Glaive attack; even though it sounds like a melee full attack in the text.You don't provoke with SLAs normally, though you do with normal Eldritch Blasts. Eldritch Glaive, though, removes that.
Your best shot at doing a ridiculous amount of damage with Eldritch Blast, IMO is to max out your HD via Polymorph and use Divine Power + Eldritch Glaive and whatever Meta SLA feats you can stack.You forgot Hellfire Warlock (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061207a&page=3).

D-naras
2009-11-03, 01:49 PM
I dont think the OP wants to focus on his Eldritch Blast at all. He just wants the 6 arms in order to use many weapons. Since you will allready be chaotic, just grab a level of barbarian for pounce. You should grab oversized weapon fighting and a bunch of morningstars and use the feats Skewer Foe and Pulverize Foe from Champions of Ruin. This way you will get 2d6 for each succesfull attack after the first.

Radiun
2009-11-03, 01:50 PM
Convince your DM to let you make a Warlock-y Spell Weaver (MM2)
Instead of HD+2 of Sorceror, make it HD+2 of Warlock, and get Invocation-Weaving

The you can have an insane amount of attacks with 6 eldritch glaives / round

andre3w
2009-11-03, 02:06 PM
I dont think the OP wants to focus on his Eldritch Blast at all. He just wants the 6 arms in order to use many weapons. Since you will allready be chaotic, just grab a level of barbarian for pounce. You should grab oversized weapon fighting and a bunch of morningstars and use the feats Skewer Foe and Pulverize Foe from Champions of Ruin. This way you will get 2d6 for each succesfull attack after the first.

But it's hard to have THREE high atributes, that's why I chose to use weapon finesse.

Convince your DM to let you make a Warlock-y Spell Weaver (MM2)
Instead of HD+2 of Sorceror, make it HD+2 of Warlock, and get Invocation-Weaving

The you can have an insane amount of attacks with 6 eldritch glaives / round

This race has HD 10+, it's impossible to play using this with my DM.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-11-03, 02:09 PM
Don't forget, if you are going to Glaive, that Vitriolic Blast (Greater) removes the SR component, which still technically applies to Eldritch Glaive normally.

We are looking at two different builds: One which uses 6 arms and Multiweapon Fighting, and one which uses Eldritch Glaive, since they are incompatible.

If you want to go with the Multiweapon one, here's a suggestion:

Warlock/Demonbinder/Barb/Fighter2/Lots of ways to increase damage per hit

Why:

TWF is a really fun way to do a lot of damage, but it requires two things:

1) You need to consistently and reliability hit with most of your attacks
2) Increasing damage per hit will increase damage output by that amount times the number of attacks you land

Thus: You want a) to hit a lot of times, and b) to do a lot of damage per hit.

There's a couple of ways to do this:

1) Precision-based damage. There was a build somewhere that had like 22d6+ per hit. Making it apply can get tricky, but doable with a dip in Swordsage. Island of Blades is a wonderful stance. Then you can dump Strength and pick up Shadow Blade.

2) Power Attack. See also: Ubercharger. Pounce + Lots of Attacks + couple hundred damage per hit = good times.

If you want to go 'glaivelock', you can look up ways to do that, but it only creates one glaive, so multiple limbs do not matter anymore, making it a wasted dip. It can also get stupid amounts of damage output, if in a different direction.

Eldariel
2009-11-03, 02:45 PM
If you're just using Warlock as a base, it's doable really. Telflammar Shadowlord or Barbarian would really help though; you only really get worthwhile stuff from 4 Fighter-levels to get Melee Weapon Mastery (with so many weapons, it adds up).

hen Shadow Blade + Weapon Finesse, max out Dex, wield honest weapons in each hand, go Telflammar Shadowlord + Swordsage, do some massive Teleportation getting 3 full attacks each round (Shadow Blink, Shadow Jaunt, Shadow Stride for Move + Swift + Standard Action full attacks) and profit.

Hitting should be easy enough with Dex+WF+decent BAB, but enhancing weapons would be prohibitively expensive so just get a friendly Cleric/Wizard (with UMD) with Chain Spell to Greater Magic Weapon them.

Myrmex
2009-11-03, 02:50 PM
Swap some fighter levels out for crusader or warblade.