PDA

View Full Version : Shield bash question 3.5

Laharal
2009-11-03, 01:16 PM
From SRD

Shield Bash Attacks: You can bash an opponent with a heavy shield, using it as an off-hand weapon. Used this way, a heavy shield is a martial bludgeoning weapon. For the purpose of penalties on attack rolls, treat a heavy shield as a one-handed weapon.

Does that mean that if I have light and heavy shield proficiency but not martial weapons proficiency (my character is a dragon shaman), I will have penalties when I do a shield bash as if I was fighting with a wepon that I'm not proeficient with??

Many thanks

ErrantX
2009-11-03, 01:22 PM
You got it.

Bashing with a shield is as one-handed martial weapon. You'd have to burn a feat or take a level in fighter or something to not take the penalty.

-X

Laharal
2009-11-03, 02:39 PM
However :

(SRD) Shield Proficiency [General]
Benefit: You can use a shield and take only the standard penalties.

They don't say anything about using shields for defensive usage only.

Thus it could be implied that you can use a shield whatever you do with it.. even windsurfing..:smallsmile:

Would that be acceptable to a Dm you think?

ErrantX
2009-11-03, 02:47 PM
However :

(SRD) Shield Proficiency [General]
Benefit: You can use a shield and take only the standard penalties.

They don't say anything about using shields for defensive usage only.

Thus it could be implied that you can use a shield whatever you do with it.. even windsurfing..:smallsmile:

Would that be acceptable to a Dm you think?

I wouldn't let it fly myself. Shield proficiency means you know how use it to defend yourself, attacking with it is it's own monster because shield bashing says you treat it like a martial weapon.

Of course, only shield bashing specifically says that. So windsurf away! :smallbiggrin:

-X

Kylarra
2009-11-03, 02:53 PM
Sorry to rain on your parade, but "the standard penalties" only means that you don't apply the armor check penalty to attack rolls and such for wielding it in the first place. You still need to become proficient somehow in using it in other means, else you will take the "standard penalty" for nonproficiency in a weapon.

Nonproficient with Armor Worn

A character who wears armor and/or uses a shield with which he or she is not proficient takes the armor’s (and/or shield’s) armor check penalty on attack rolls and on all Strength-based and Dexterity-based ability and skill checks. The penalty for nonproficiency with armor stacks with the penalty for nonproficiency with shields.