PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom of Loathing

Teln
2009-11-03, 02:56 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled upon this neat browser-based game that can best be described as a one-player MMORPG. As you've probably guessed, it's called Kingdom of Loathing (http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/main.html). Does anybody else here play it?

MickJay
2009-11-03, 03:07 PM
Played it for a few months, once the novelty and humour wears off, it becomes less entertaining, unless you're playing for achievements, which can be fun in its own way, or unless you find a good clan, of course.

Vorpal word
2009-11-03, 04:17 PM
A few people at my school play it. It's funny, and I like the text-based style. Not too amazing though, I would have preferred a little more customization.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-03, 04:25 PM
We had a clan ages ago, but it's sorta dead. I left it awhile ago, but I think there was less then a dozen people at the time, all inactive.

Cleverdan22
2009-11-03, 08:39 PM
Oh man, I remember that game. I think I still have the site favorited. I stopped playing like a couple of years back or so. It was fun. Really fun. Prolly won't play again though. Look up the KOL wiki, its really helpful.

Shpadoinkle
2009-11-03, 09:29 PM
I played for a while (made my first character more than five years ago, which was before it was possible to Ascend and the game was still technically in public beta), but I haven't really played in a loooooong time. For example, my age in my character's profile is still listed as 22. I'm presently 25.

If you're wondering why my account hasn't been deleted yet, it's because I donated a few times, and if you have one of the gift items you get for donating, your account is never deleted for inactivity.

Lunix Vandal
2009-11-04, 02:20 AM
By my reckoning, KoL is still technically in public beta, if only because updates, new content, and bugfixes are pushed several times a month, if not week. Whether that makes it more prone to They Changed It Now It Sucks (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks) is entirely in the eye of the non-Open-Gaming-Content monster.

To put some nowhere-near comprehensive perspective on some of these changes and a few historical events:August 4, 2004 - Black Sunday. A glitch is found, made public, and exploited that gives several players essentially limitless amounts of Meat, driving the game's natural inflation rate through the stratosphere. Over the next several weeks, Jick and Skully (aka The Powers That Might Be Giants) implement a variety of meatsinks that successfully restabilize the in-game economy (more or less). This is alternately due to the Penguin Mafia taking the meat by force and by players really, really wanting their names on shiny plaques in the Cannon Museum.
October 2004 - Mr. Store is implemented, offering a variety of above-average equipment and familiars for the equivalent of a $10 donation (or the equivalent of however much Meat players think a Mr. Accessory is worth).
June 2005 - Ascension is implemented, allowing players to (finally) beat the Naughty Sorceress and effectively enter New Game Plus (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NewGamePlus) mode.
August 2005 - The Pygmy Bugbear Shaman, the first combination Volleyball and Baby Gravy Fairy, is implemented. Despite being what would normally be a broken (in the DMM Clericzilla sense) combination, public consensus is that it is utterly broken (in the Truenamer sense) due to the massive MP cost associated with running both sides of the combo at all times.
October 26, 2005 - White Wednesday. Jick "drops the database," causing a large amount (but not all) of data to roll back to what it was on September 6. Profuse apologies are handed out all around, and a number of new time-travel-themed limited-time events are implemented.
December 2005 - The Crimbo season (the game's Christmas-equivalent) expands to fill all of December, including an Advent calendar and the ability to (temporarily) adventure in Crimbo Town for fun and profit. And the putting down of both filthy communist elves and their reindeer oppressors.
January 2006 - For the first time, a skill-granting item is offered in Mr. Store. And it's ludicrously overpowered, at least for the first few days of its existence.
March 2006 - I join. :smalltongue:
Also, Almighty Tallest completes the first three-day Hardcore ascension ever.
April 2006 - The second "Mr. Skill" item is released. It is "hilarious."
Also, Mr. Bill and Bashy complete the first two one-day Softcore ascensions ever, respectively, after Bashy displays proof-of concept two months earlier.
May 2006 - The LAAAME Observatory finishes construction.
Also, Mr. Magnifico completes the first 10-day HCO ascension ever, Lord Mackerel completes the first 3-day Hardcore ascension that didn't use the Feast of Boris, and Jonbly completes the first 1-day ascension without an HCOAT lead-in. By now, people have realized that the Pygmy Bugbear Shaman does not, in fact, suck as hard as they thought it did, primarily because they also realize that one of the few buffs that offers the possibility of MP regen can be used to re-break (DMM Cleric) the PBS.
June 2006 - The LAAAME Observatory is obliterated by a comet chunk that ricocheted off of Grimace, one of the Moons of Loathing. In addition to shaking up the moon cycles somewhat (due to the creation of Hamburglar, a third, smaller moon), a portion of The Beach gets massively irradiated and becomes the Grim Grimacite Site, which is promptly claimed by the Penguin Mafia. The Penguin Mafia constructs a new raffle house out of the observatory's wreckage and parts of the Half a Cannon that previously dominated the entryway of Seaside Town. Here they raffle off cheese, wine, and gear made using Grimacite from the mines.
Also, the Astral Badger is released, setting precedent for June Mr. Store items being familiars that offer access to new, semi-exclusive zones.
September 2006 - As part of the preparations for the much-heralded NS13, the EIGHT NEW ZONES are (finally) implemented. The rumors of the existence of EIGHT JEW GNOMES are never put to rest.
Two days later (taking heavy advantage of said eight new zones), Lord Mackerel completes the first (I think) two-day Hardcore ascension.
December 2006 - In celebration of in-game Halloween landing on the 25th, this year's "Crimboween" features time travel and alternately "Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol" - style zaniness.
January 2007 - Moxie classes gain the ability to pickpocket from monsters.
February 2007 - Another Mr. Skill is implemented, to the joy of (nearly) everyone who missed the first one.
March 2007 - Two weeks before my one-year KoLiversary, the changes and additional content options made to the game are sufficient to let me complete my own 10-day, 573-turn HCO ascension, with only 10 previous Hardcore ascensions to my name (11, including my only Softcore ascension). While others have managed to whittle their HCO run times down to 6 and 7 days, this also happens to be the fastest 10-day, 10-or-fewer-previous-HC-run HCO ascension ever, and keeps that status until NS13, when it becomes essentially impossible to accomplish such a feat. :smallsmile:
April 2007 - The April Fool's day update (http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/static.php?id=ns13preview) leads to much They're Going To Change It So It Will Suck speculation. The "jokes" are as follows:
1. One of the required quests has you planting an enchanted bean in a giant pile of discarded coffee grounds so you can get up to the Castle in the Clouds in the Sky and stop the rain of garbage caused by it being the Procrastination Giant's turn to take out said garbage.
2. The Tome of Snowcone Summoning was the highly-coveted January 2006 donation item. The one I said was horribly overpowered for the first few days of its existence.
3. In the (six-level) Tower of the Naughty Sorceress, the encounters are chosen from a set of monsters that require either impractically high stats or specific combat items to defeat. Before NS13, the Enraged Cow had (arguably) the most tedious/time-consuming item to require, and the Cow's appearance wasn't even guaranteed. Most speed ascenders rapidly developed a hate-more hate relationship with the Cow.
4. The Incredibly Dense Meat Gem is one of the game's ultra-rare items. Perhaps five of these ultra-rare items are generated Kingdom-wide in a given day.
5. The Bonerdagon is a required boss, first available at level 7. Unarmed, unarmored combat against it at that level sucks, especially since the 'dagon has a high chance of blocking your skills and items -- and unarmed damage is at best one-fourth of what you get with the most basic weapon equipped.
6. One common strategy in Softcore speed ascensions was to buy black loti or red balloons from the in-game "Gift Shop" for 100k meat apiece, then use them as one of your twenty free "pulls" to be resold for an instant 50k meat. This was preferable to pulling the meat directly because doing so limits you to 1k meat/pull. And the "With Selected" has half that many options (All, All But One, and Quantity).
7. All of those items actually exist within the game. The Crazy Bastard Sword is another ultra-rare.
8. Ditto. Also, 12 million meat is rather higher than the going price for a pair of Mr. Accessories (i.e. $20 USD).June 25, 2007 - The Naughty Sorceress infiltrates the Grim Grimacite Site and steals the mine's radioactive core, raising her power "by approximately two levels," which ironically actually made her easier to beat (because of the way TPTMBG changed it). TPTMBG hail the additional quests and zones added by NS13 as being (probably) the largest single-day content addition they have ever made, or ever will make. Run times skyrocket (comparatively speaking) as players run into the speed bumps presented by the new required quests and expanded Lair obstacles. Additional content refinements and fixes continue to be added over the next several months.
December 2007 - The Obligatory Pirates' Cove receives a major revision, including the addition of a few new sidequests and several puzzles which confound and infuriate players for months. The sidequests are later mainstreamed into other, required quests.
Also, this year's Crimbo revolves around the Crimborg, previously seen in the "Not-So-Distant-Future" version of Crimbo Town featured during the late stages of Crimboween. In this case, at least, players are able to change the course of the future (or so it seems), destroying the Crimborg outright.
June 2008 - The first clan dungeon, Hobopolis, becomes available, bringing a huge number of new items and available skills. It is unique in that, unlike literally everywhere else, other players have a direct influence on what happens to Hobopolis as it is displayed to you. Also, unlike almost everywhere else, it is specifically designed to be near-meaningless in an ascension context. People still find ways to exploit the relatively high monster level here for rapid stat gains, but they can't use the equipment until well after they should have already beaten the Sorceress, so all is good.
October 2008 - Players gain the ability to adventure in the Sea for the first time. Again, it is specifically designed as high-level, post-Sorceress content, this time requiring that players have a piece of equipment created halfway through the Sorceress quest proper to enter. Additional zones in the Sea are added sporadically, the most recent arriving in March 2009.
December 2008 - The Penguin Mafia, irked by the diminished profits of having to make their raffle items out of depleted Grimacite, make a bid to take over Crimbo for themselves after Uncle Crimbo defaults on a loan-slash-contract to make toys in a Mafia-funded, Grimacite-nuclear-powered factory. This is, arguably, the most interactive Crimbo to date, with elf-versus-penguin kill counts tracked game-wide. Technically, the elves (and Uncle Crimbo) win, but are forced to sell out to the penguins anyway when the Crimbomination (a colossal, mutated elf) rears its ugly head and goes on a Godzilla-esque rampage.
2009 - More and more new stuff, including another new class of Item of the Month: Clan VIP Lounge furnishings. New limited-time content appears, seemingly unrelated to the results of the 2008 Crimbo and to the Naughty Sorceress' machinations, let alone real-world or in-game, player-caused mishaps. (All the player-caused stuff is permanent.) Finally, a second, shorter clan dungeon is released, itself introducing several new items, skills, and mechanics. Also, account-deletion-from-inactivity is removed outright, so that the only way to get an account deleted is to have it nuked by TPTMBG for blatant rules violations.

MickJay
2009-11-04, 10:26 AM
If you're wondering why my account hasn't been deleted yet, it's because I donated a few times, and if you have one of the gift items you get for donating, your account is never deleted for inactivity.

During the time I was playing, it was announced that no accounts are going to be deleted anymore, regardless of the length inactivity.

Ur-Quan
2011-10-31, 03:26 PM
Hey guys. I'm playing this awesome game again after being inspired by the comic. If anyone wants to hook up and chat ingame, you can PM me here or KMail UrQuan (#1913808)

Psyborg
2011-11-01, 03:17 PM
Wow...been a while. I played this for a few years starting in September 2004. (Mac_N_Cheese, #somewhereinthethreehundredthousands.) Got gifted a Mr. Accessory by a random do-gooder in /trade in November, sold it for starting capital, and played the catastrophically deflationary economy (resulting from the aftermath of Black Sunday) to build a fortune. By the end of the school year my net worth was pushing three hundred million meat, a paltry sum by September's standards but astronomical by spring. I was in Pier #11 back when it had close ties to Noblesse Oblige back when N.O. was one of the most highly regarded clans in the game. (Remember N.O. Beer?)

Was high on the hog and rather proud of myself, until parents decided it was interfering with school. (I was about 15 at the time.) Haven't played in years now...forget exactly when I stopped playing, but it was a while after NS13.

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-01, 05:16 PM
I was in Pier #11 back when it had close ties to Noblesse Oblige back when N.O. was one of the most highly regarded clans in the game. (Remember N.O. Beer?)
N.O. is actually still regarded with some amount of prestige to this day, having a pretty popular buffbot and being responsible for the best unofficial calendar ever (http://noblesse-oblige.org/calendar/).

So, yeah, Oracle of Wuffing in game (Hardcore for Life), with a multi UltimoHedgehog. That account belonged to the guy that introduced me to the game around the time Snowcones came out, and I've been pretty constantly playing it since, where he kind of abandoned that account to me... And ended up starting a new account anyways. I also sort-of inherited a pretty well-off but small clan with all the trimmings.

There was actually a pretty nasty incident not too long ago, where someone was able to access some records, maybe some password hashes, and sent out a spam e-mail from the KoL servers advertising "Kingdom of Loathing 2.0," which turned out to be some ransoming malware.

Whether that makes it more prone to They Changed It Now It Sucks (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks) is entirely in the eye of the non-Open-Gaming-Content monster.
I think there has been maybe two changes to the game where I haven't read someone have a complaint about it on the official forums. :smalltongue:

Seerow
2011-11-01, 05:51 PM
Wow last time I played this game you couldn't even get to the Naughty Sorceress.... a lot's changed it seems.

Psyborg
2011-11-01, 06:02 PM
N.O. is actually still regarded with some amount of prestige to this day

::warm fuzzy feelings::

They were some good people. Good to know things haven't changed.

Is bashy still around?

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-01, 07:27 PM
Ah, the one of the legendary speed ascenders, master fetus smasher, and ham... Violator. He's gotten a few more shout outs on one (http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Prussian_cathouse) or two (http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Black_forest_ham) post-NS13 items, and I believe he was the first ascender after NS-13 rolled out. He currently has the third most ascensions out of all the players in the game, and I wanted to say he's mostly retired, but checking his player profile, looks like he last logged in today. :smallsmile: For a bit more fuzziness there, I checked the records, and N.O. is the second-most hardcore ascendingest clan today, third ascendingest overall, and on the leaderboard for most clan warfare wins. They also hold the fastest Hobopolis Run (and their Slime Tube record is mostly low because of a high amount of ties).

Also, looks like your player number is 269955. :smallwink:

Snowstorm
2011-11-02, 11:37 AM
I started playing juuuuust after the 'Black Sunday' event described below.. and kept it up pretty heavily until 2009 or so.

I have one (1) accomplishment to my name, and that's to appear on the leaderboard of first ascenders; I'm #8.

faceroll
2011-11-02, 12:00 PM
By my reckoning, KoL is still technically in public beta, if only because updates, new content, and bugfixes are pushed several times a month, if not week. Whether that makes it more prone to They Changed It Now It Sucks (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks) is entirely in the eye of the non-Open-Gaming-Content monster.

To put some nowhere-near comprehensive perspective on some of these changes and a few historical events:August 4, 2004 - Black Sunday. A glitch is found, made public, and exploited that gives several players essentially limitless amounts of Meat, driving the game's natural inflation rate through the stratosphere. Over the next several weeks, Jick and Skully (aka The Powers That Might Be Giants) implement a variety of meatsinks that successfully restabilize the in-game economy (more or less). This is alternately due to the Penguin Mafia taking the meat by force and by players really, really wanting their names on shiny plaques in the Cannon Museum.
October 2004 - Mr. Store is implemented, offering a variety of above-average equipment and familiars for the equivalent of a $10 donation (or the equivalent of however much Meat players think a Mr. Accessory is worth).
June 2005 - Ascension is implemented, allowing players to (finally) beat the Naughty Sorceress and effectively enter New Game Plus (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NewGamePlus) mode.
August 2005 - The Pygmy Bugbear Shaman, the first combination Volleyball and Baby Gravy Fairy, is implemented. Despite being what would normally be a broken (in the DMM Clericzilla sense) combination, public consensus is that it is utterly broken (in the Truenamer sense) due to the massive MP cost associated with running both sides of the combo at all times.
October 26, 2005 - White Wednesday. Jick "drops the database," causing a large amount (but not all) of data to roll back to what it was on September 6. Profuse apologies are handed out all around, and a number of new time-travel-themed limited-time events are implemented.
December 2005 - The Crimbo season (the game's Christmas-equivalent) expands to fill all of December, including an Advent calendar and the ability to (temporarily) adventure in Crimbo Town for fun and profit. And the putting down of both filthy communist elves and their reindeer oppressors.
January 2006 - For the first time, a skill-granting item is offered in Mr. Store. And it's ludicrously overpowered, at least for the first few days of its existence.
March 2006 - I join. :smalltongue:
Also, Almighty Tallest completes the first three-day Hardcore ascension ever.
April 2006 - The second "Mr. Skill" item is released. It is "hilarious."
Also, Mr. Bill and Bashy complete the first two one-day Softcore ascensions ever, respectively, after Bashy displays proof-of concept two months earlier.
May 2006 - The LAAAME Observatory finishes construction.
Also, Mr. Magnifico completes the first 10-day HCO ascension ever, Lord Mackerel completes the first 3-day Hardcore ascension that didn't use the Feast of Boris, and Jonbly completes the first 1-day ascension without an HCOAT lead-in. By now, people have realized that the Pygmy Bugbear Shaman does not, in fact, suck as hard as they thought it did, primarily because they also realize that one of the few buffs that offers the possibility of MP regen can be used to re-break (DMM Cleric) the PBS.
June 2006 - The LAAAME Observatory is obliterated by a comet chunk that ricocheted off of Grimace, one of the Moons of Loathing. In addition to shaking up the moon cycles somewhat (due to the creation of Hamburglar, a third, smaller moon), a portion of The Beach gets massively irradiated and becomes the Grim Grimacite Site, which is promptly claimed by the Penguin Mafia. The Penguin Mafia constructs a new raffle house out of the observatory's wreckage and parts of the Half a Cannon that previously dominated the entryway of Seaside Town. Here they raffle off cheese, wine, and gear made using Grimacite from the mines.
Also, the Astral Badger is released, setting precedent for June Mr. Store items being familiars that offer access to new, semi-exclusive zones.
September 2006 - As part of the preparations for the much-heralded NS13, the EIGHT NEW ZONES are (finally) implemented. The rumors of the existence of EIGHT JEW GNOMES are never put to rest.
Two days later (taking heavy advantage of said eight new zones), Lord Mackerel completes the first (I think) two-day Hardcore ascension.
December 2006 - In celebration of in-game Halloween landing on the 25th, this year's "Crimboween" features time travel and alternately "Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol" - style zaniness.
January 2007 - Moxie classes gain the ability to pickpocket from monsters.
February 2007 - Another Mr. Skill is implemented, to the joy of (nearly) everyone who missed the first one.
March 2007 - Two weeks before my one-year KoLiversary, the changes and additional content options made to the game are sufficient to let me complete my own 10-day, 573-turn HCO ascension, with only 10 previous Hardcore ascensions to my name (11, including my only Softcore ascension). While others have managed to whittle their HCO run times down to 6 and 7 days, this also happens to be the fastest 10-day, 10-or-fewer-previous-HC-run HCO ascension ever, and keeps that status until NS13, when it becomes essentially impossible to accomplish such a feat. :smallsmile:
April 2007 - The April Fool's day update (http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/static.php?id=ns13preview) leads to much They're Going To Change It So It Will Suck speculation. The "jokes" are as follows:
1. One of the required quests has you planting an enchanted bean in a giant pile of discarded coffee grounds so you can get up to the Castle in the Clouds in the Sky and stop the rain of garbage caused by it being the Procrastination Giant's turn to take out said garbage.
2. The Tome of Snowcone Summoning was the highly-coveted January 2006 donation item. The one I said was horribly overpowered for the first few days of its existence.
3. In the (six-level) Tower of the Naughty Sorceress, the encounters are chosen from a set of monsters that require either impractically high stats or specific combat items to defeat. Before NS13, the Enraged Cow had (arguably) the most tedious/time-consuming item to require, and the Cow's appearance wasn't even guaranteed. Most speed ascenders rapidly developed a hate-more hate relationship with the Cow.
4. The Incredibly Dense Meat Gem is one of the game's ultra-rare items. Perhaps five of these ultra-rare items are generated Kingdom-wide in a given day.
5. The Bonerdagon is a required boss, first available at level 7. Unarmed, unarmored combat against it at that level sucks, especially since the 'dagon has a high chance of blocking your skills and items -- and unarmed damage is at best one-fourth of what you get with the most basic weapon equipped.
6. One common strategy in Softcore speed ascensions was to buy black loti or red balloons from the in-game "Gift Shop" for 100k meat apiece, then use them as one of your twenty free "pulls" to be resold for an instant 50k meat. This was preferable to pulling the meat directly because doing so limits you to 1k meat/pull. And the "With Selected" has half that many options (All, All But One, and Quantity).
7. All of those items actually exist within the game. The Crazy Bastard Sword is another ultra-rare.
8. Ditto. Also, 12 million meat is rather higher than the going price for a pair of Mr. Accessories (i.e. $20 USD).June 25, 2007 - The Naughty Sorceress infiltrates the Grim Grimacite Site and steals the mine's radioactive core, raising her power "by approximately two levels," which ironically actually made her easier to beat (because of the way TPTMBG changed it). TPTMBG hail the additional quests and zones added by NS13 as being (probably) the largest single-day content addition they have ever made, or ever will make. Run times skyrocket (comparatively speaking) as players run into the speed bumps presented by the new required quests and expanded Lair obstacles. Additional content refinements and fixes continue to be added over the next several months.
December 2007 - The Obligatory Pirates' Cove receives a major revision, including the addition of a few new sidequests and several puzzles which confound and infuriate players for months. The sidequests are later mainstreamed into other, required quests.
Also, this year's Crimbo revolves around the Crimborg, previously seen in the "Not-So-Distant-Future" version of Crimbo Town featured during the late stages of Crimboween. In this case, at least, players are able to change the course of the future (or so it seems), destroying the Crimborg outright.
June 2008 - The first clan dungeon, Hobopolis, becomes available, bringing a huge number of new items and available skills. It is unique in that, unlike literally everywhere else, other players have a direct influence on what happens to Hobopolis as it is displayed to you. Also, unlike almost everywhere else, it is specifically designed to be near-meaningless in an ascension context. People still find ways to exploit the relatively high monster level here for rapid stat gains, but they can't use the equipment until well after they should have already beaten the Sorceress, so all is good.
October 2008 - Players gain the ability to adventure in the Sea for the first time. Again, it is specifically designed as high-level, post-Sorceress content, this time requiring that players have a piece of equipment created halfway through the Sorceress quest proper to enter. Additional zones in the Sea are added sporadically, the most recent arriving in March 2009.
December 2008 - The Penguin Mafia, irked by the diminished profits of having to make their raffle items out of depleted Grimacite, make a bid to take over Crimbo for themselves after Uncle Crimbo defaults on a loan-slash-contract to make toys in a Mafia-funded, Grimacite-nuclear-powered factory. This is, arguably, the most interactive Crimbo to date, with elf-versus-penguin kill counts tracked game-wide. Technically, the elves (and Uncle Crimbo) win, but are forced to sell out to the penguins anyway when the Crimbomination (a colossal, mutated elf) rears its ugly head and goes on a Godzilla-esque rampage.
2009 - More and more new stuff, including another new class of Item of the Month: Clan VIP Lounge furnishings. New limited-time content appears, seemingly unrelated to the results of the 2008 Crimbo and to the Naughty Sorceress' machinations, let alone real-world or in-game, player-caused mishaps. (All the player-caused stuff is permanent.) Finally, a second, shorter clan dungeon is released, itself introducing several new items, skills, and mechanics. Also, account-deletion-from-inactivity is removed outright, so that the only way to get an account deleted is to have it nuked by TPTMBG for blatant rules violations.

Wow, I think I STOPPED playing before Black Sunday. Thanks for the update!

ninja_penguin
2011-11-02, 07:11 PM
Ah good times. I used to play this for a while, and I log on around crimbo time or whenever just to peek around. I think I left sometime after NS13 but before the Sea was opened up.

My best lucky achievement was getting a Talisman of Baio.

Cieyrin
2011-11-02, 07:53 PM
Good times, indeed. I had much fun pursuing achievements and trying out new classes, with Turtle Tamer firmly being my favorite, as evidenced by it being my only level 30 trophy. I had some fun exploring the Sea but never managed to get around to exploring the guild dungeons, due to my college's guild being mostly just me and my buddy, with the rest being idlers who I presumed graduated before we did. Clubbing demonic seals as a Seal Clubber was also fun, as well as picking up all the familiars I could get my hands on, particularly my Fuminous Bandersnatch.

Last time I played was sometime after the Penguin Mafia took over Crimbo. I was playing Pastamancer and I got bored, as it was my 2nd to last run before I ran Hardcore Oxy. I think I transitioned over to Improbable Island before getting bored of that, too.

Shpadoinkle
2011-11-02, 08:25 PM
Why was this bumped after almost exactly two years?

Seerow
2011-11-02, 08:29 PM

The best thread necros are the ones so subtle nobody notices.

Cieyrin
2011-11-02, 08:55 PM
The best thread necros are the ones so subtle nobody notices.

Indeed. And as long as the mods don't care, no harm, no foul. :smallwink:

Ur-Quan
2011-11-03, 11:11 AM

And what's wrong with resurrecting a general thread about a game? Do you think I should've opened a new thread?

Anyways, I was playing on and off for some time. Usually get a couple of ascensions and then stop for a year or two. My first account got deleted, second one I'm playing on now. Was hoping that some of you still play actively.

Shpadoinkle
2011-11-03, 11:58 AM
And what's wrong with resurrecting a general thread about a game? Do you think I should've opened a new thread?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1

Thread Necromancy
Bringing a thread back from "the dead." If a thread hasn't been posted in within the last six weeks, don't reply to it. Start a new topic, if you want to discuss the subject (you are welcome to link to the old thread). If you think it would be better to resurrect an old thread, PM a moderator for that subforum and wait for approval. The original poster of a creation in Homebrew (and only that poster) may revive a creation beyond the six-week threshold without prior Moderator approval.

OracleofWuffing
2011-11-03, 02:58 PM
No, see, it's a meta joke. KoL just had a big worldwide clan-dungeon-based event that involved a Necbromancer. (A hipster necromancer.) :smallwink:

Ur-Quan
2011-11-03, 03:02 PM
No, see, it's a meta joke. KoL just had a big worldwide clan-dungeon-based event that involved a Necbromancer. (A hipster necromancer.) :smallwink:

No fun when you reveal it so obviously :/