PDA

View Full Version : Using a single, one handed weapon effectively

...Eh?
2009-11-03, 03:02 PM
For a campaign on these boards, I'm currently trying to stat out a concept for a dancer. Right now, I'm just going straight scout for the skirmish damage, and I'm wondering if I'll be too terribly underpowered if I use just one rapier, rather than doing something like going Dervish and dual-weilding scimitars. I'm given to understand that Duelist is garbage, so, are there any other options for a character with only one weapon?

AstralFire
2009-11-03, 03:04 PM
Swordsage/Warblade would both work. Heck, with both of them you could even go the TWF route... Rapier/Unarmed, which is closer to how real one-handed weaponplay works.

Eldariel
2009-11-03, 03:07 PM
If you're happy to two-hand your weapon, there are plenty of options. Single one-handed weapon is really poorly supported in this game; best way to pull it off would be a ToB character, most likely a Swordsage.

It also happens to fit the "dancer"-thing quite well. But yeah, given that some SS maneuvers ignore weapon damage entirely and in many, it's not a relevant part of the damage, that should work out pretty well. And yeah, maneuvers like Desert Tempest work for the "dancing"-part (it's really close to Dervishs' Dervish Dance, just doesn't cost you a dozen feats and 10 levels).

EDIT: Ninja'd!

lsfreak
2009-11-03, 03:08 PM
Effectively, no. You want *something* in your offhand, even if it's a +5 defending warning dagger that you never use to attack.

As said, be sure to go warblade or swordsage. Strikes will at least make up for your biggest weakness, even if it doesn't compensate entirely.

...Eh?
2009-11-03, 03:09 PM
Hm, it's been a while since I looked at the ToB, but Desert Wind is a really mobile dicipline, isn't it? I picked scout because my mental image of the character has him moving all over the place, in addition to the delicious skill points.

Eldariel
Effectively, no. You want *something* in your offhand, even if it's a +5 defending warning dagger that you never use to attack.

As said, be sure to go warblade or swordsage. Strikes will at least make up for your biggest weakness, even if it doesn't compensate entirely.

Balancing in the Air, Einhander and such do give it some slight support even though it's obviously better to wield stuff in both hands.

subject42
For a campaign on these boards, I'm currently trying to stat out a concept for a dancer.

Have you looked at the Dragon Compendium, by chance? There's a class in there called the "Battledancer." It doesn't answer your one weapon question, but it couldn't hurt to look if you have access to the book.

AstralFire
2009-11-03, 03:12 PM
Hm, it's been a while since I looked at the ToB, but Desert Wind is a really mobile dicipline, isn't it? I picked scout because my mental image of the character has him moving all over the place, in addition to the delicious skill points.

Desert Wind, Tiger Claw, Shadow Hand, Setting Sun and White Raven are all pretty mobile in different ways. Desert Wind or Tiger Claw seem to best fit what you want for mobility, though Tiger Claw is a two-weapon discipline.

ZeroNumerous
2009-11-03, 03:13 PM
Really, as AstralFire suggested, one-handed weapon plus fist combo is the most accurate portrayal of one-handed fighting styles. Nick a monk's belt, picking up Snap Kick and 'dual-wielding' them together might help your damage out a bit.

Eldariel
2009-11-03, 03:14 PM
Desert Wind, Tiger Claw, Shadow Hand, Setting Sun and White Raven are all pretty mobile in different ways. Desert Wind or Tiger Claw seem to best fit what you want for mobility, though Tiger Claw is a two-weapon discipline.

Tiger Claw does have some nice Jump attacks too though which seem incredibly appropriate. That said, I always associate Diamond Mind the most with swashbucklery. Insightful Strike, the Greater variant, Bounding Assault, Avalanche of Blades, etc. And the whole idea of focusing on one good attack and hitting the weak spot for massive damage seems very swashbucklery to me.

jiriku
2009-11-03, 03:41 PM
Yes, swordsage is definitely a highly mobile class. Desert Wind contains a lot of powers that emphasize mobility or even require you to move in order to perform your attack. TOB also has a couple of Desert Wind-related feats that increase your effectiveness if you fight on the move.

Clove
2009-11-03, 05:18 PM
Isn't there a ring that creates a field of force that is basically a shield? The disadvantages of it is that it is a shield that can't be further enchanted, and it takes up a ring slot. I believe the DMG only had one version that gives a 2 point shield type AC bonus, but I don't see why you couldn't have one juiced up a bit to be competitive with enchanted shields for a premium cost. It does take up a ring slot after all. It also has the advantage of no armor check penalty, but I think the same can be said of a mithral shield.

For this sort of character, you would basically have an empty, free hand that isn't holding a heavy weapon or shield.

Dimers
2009-11-04, 12:04 AM
Bladesinger PrC in Complete Warrior is frighteningly specific about using exactly one one-handed weapon. I don't think it's all that great a class in terms of abilities (or entry requirements!), though it fits the 'dancer' theme just fine.