PDA

View Full Version : Followers

Tavar
2009-11-03, 04:35 PM
Okay, I'm applying for a pirate game, and I deided to be the Cha/Leadership monkey. We're going for a monsterous them, so here's Octavian (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=7399), Captain of the ship, with an Awesome coat as well. Now then with my Leadership score of 22(24 if having a ship counts as a stable base) and extra followers, I get the following numbers: 150 level 1, 14 level 2, 8 level 3, 4 level 4, 4 level 5, and 2 level 6.

The problem is that now I need to actually get these guys. Now, I don't have firm rules, but assume Elite array, standard wealth, single classed with no PrC's, and that I mainly want them for support. What would you suggest I use? More emphasis on the higher level ones, I'm thinking that I won't be using all of the lower level ones. Oh, and Monstrous races are a Plus, though this includes Goblins and such.

jiriku
2009-11-03, 04:56 PM
Raptoran lookout (to be stationed in the crow's nest, naturally)
expert 1/adept 2, hawk familiar, Wis 15, feat Skill Focus (spot), 6 ranks in Spot and Listen, total bonus Listen +10, Spot +17. Makes an excellent lookout.

Edit:
Goblin bhuka ranger 2; Wis 15, feats Track, Skill Focus (survival), Endurance, 5 ranks in survival, 5 ranks in Knowledge (nature), able to find drinkable water with a DC 10 survival check, resists glare, heat, and dehydration, moves swiftly over sand, Survival/Track bonus +12

Catfolk Marshall 1, Cha 17, aura: motivate Wisdom, improves skills for the two hirelings listed above by +3.

Telonius
2009-11-03, 05:11 PM
Check out Stormwrack for some ideas. A crew of Hadozees with a Darfellan first mate would be more fun than a barrel of (large, angry-looking, flying) monkeys.

As for the higher-level people, you can't go wrong with Druids, Clerics, Artificers, and Wizards. Cleric of the sea-god for thematics, Druid to summon sharks, Artificer to put frickin' laser beams on their heads (... okay, maybe not...) and Wizards for all-around awesomeness.

Tavar
2009-11-03, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure that I can use PC classes for followers. I'm gonna go ask now. As for the rest of the crew; alot of the named positions are actually taken at the moment by the other players. I just realized that I doubt I'll ever get to make a Leadership monkey like this, so why not?

Oh, and for my cohort, I'm thinking of some combo of Swash/Rogue, with Daring outlaw, probably going for the Scarlet Corsair PrC. Possibly getting a Level of Barb in there as well for pounce...

Thatguyoverther
2009-11-03, 05:18 PM
If your going for monstrous creatures I'd consider crewing the ship with a mixture or small and large sized creatures.

If for no other reason it would make boarding actions more entertaining as large sized creatures toss goblins holding ropes at the other vessel.

Tavar
2009-11-03, 05:28 PM
If your going for monstrous creatures I'd consider crewing the ship with a mixture or small and large sized creatures.

If for no other reason it would make boarding actions more entertaining as large sized creatures toss goblins holding ropes at the other vessel.

Ah, but at that point I get the -1 for every death caused, which would really suck. I plan on using hirelings for the boarding actions...

What? I never said I was Good?

Thatguyoverther
2009-11-03, 06:00 PM
Well, if your going to use hirelings, you might as well launch them out of the ships cannons. *Insert cannon fodder joke*

oxybe
2009-11-03, 06:17 PM
for a lookout? warforged with a few levels of warlock. see invis + darkvision + 30ft magical darkvision + does not need to sleep = :D.

have 10 level 1 experts and a single level 1 marshall with max cha, each with their own Knowledge, skill focus (that knowledge), max int. even with a 4 ranks, 3 int, 3 focus, 2 aid another, 3 circumstance (marshall aura of int motivate) and a tome of knowledge (i think that's what it's called... it's a MIC item, cheap, +5 on a skill check X per day), you can have your own vault of knowledge (21 is the minimum these guys can hit :D).

have 20 or so experts with survival & skill focus survival + self-sufficient (4 ranks, 3 wis, 3 focus, 2 ss... so 12 base). at the very least these guys will forage enough food for 40 people, but 140 on average (22 on a 10, or 7 people per expert)

10 or so craftsmen each with 1 apprentice with their own tools & skill focus (4 ranks, 3 int, 3 focus, 2 mwk tools, 2 aid another, 14 base, can make most objects without problem)

10 or so profession guys, ect...

honestly you've got your own village dedicated for whatever you want