PDA

View Full Version : Artifacts in a 3.5 game?

Saint GoH
2009-11-03, 05:36 PM
Sooooooo, I'm trying to get a game started, and in short the capitol city is lead by the Church of Kelemvor. The Cleric running the place is a lvl 30 Cleric/monk/Doomguide/Divine Champion menagerie build. Basically, I want to make him a god in the eye's of the PC's (who may be starting anywhere from 1-4).

Thus, I gave him a sentient weapon created using the tables in the Epic Handbook and am debating about giving him an artifact of my own creation. Is this frowned upon? The sword I gave him is pretty ridiculous, and the gauntlet (the artifact) is also looking to be pretty crazy. Is it just wrong to give an NPC (who IS supposed to be leading the whole country) "free epic loot"?

Just looking for your guy's thoughts... not even sure if I posted this in the right place :smalltongue:

BRC
2009-11-03, 05:38 PM
Nope. Unless you expect this guy to directly help or fight the PC's, or if it dosn't fit the flavor for him to have this level of gear.

However, as an insanely powerful leader of a powerful nation, i see no reason not to give him this stuff.

Toliudar
2009-11-03, 05:46 PM
For these kind of NPC's, I've always thought of them as having gear with the special ability "whatever the hell I need them to do for the story." Since it seems really unlikely that the PC's would be fighting either alongside or against this person anytime soon, simply having them register with "several overwhelming magic auras" and a sword that interrupts the conversation from time to time is all I'd really need.

jiriku
2009-11-03, 05:46 PM
Sure, give him whatever you want. In fact, if he's not going to be fighting in a battle and rolling dice, don't even bother writing stats for him or his artifact. Just describe it doing whatever you want.

The trick is, this dude isn't really an NPC so much as a Plot Device On Legs. He exists to give color to the world and enrich the background, not to directly and routinely interact with the PCs, right? He doesn't need stats any more than the local barmaid needs stats.

Saint GoH
2009-11-03, 06:17 PM
He doesn't need stats any more than the local barmaid needs stats.

Sadly I have given a barmaid stats before.... :eek:

Beside the point though, thanks! I was kind of wavering along the lines of "He needs it because he is amazing" and "Holy cow this is too amazing." But I do agree he is basically a walking plot device.

Thanks alot guys!