PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Beholder Monster Progression

Matamane
2009-11-03, 06:39 PM
One of my Players wants to run a Beholder in an upcoming adventure. His last character died, and the setting and circumstances would deem a Beholder a believable character, but as far as mechanics go, I got nothing. I heard there exists a Beholder Monster Class in an issue of Dragon, but for the life of me, I can't find it, and without a LA, I have failed at producing any useful ideas. If anyone can come up with a believable LA* for a Beholder, or even better, point me to that issue of Dragon or another semi-official source, I would really appreciate it.

*I am aware of Dragon #294's ECL of 24, but since that was printed way before the release of 3.5, I would prefer to ignore it.

Kylarra
2009-11-03, 06:55 PM
I don't think you're going to come up with a believable LA for something that can aim 3 save or dies as a free action...

Matamane
2009-11-03, 07:01 PM
That is irrelevant for the sole reason those abilities don't scale well. I assume the LA will leave him at around 16-19th level, so I don't care too much about that.

The main goal of this thread is to find either the issue of Dragon that supposedly has the progression or find a semi- official progression and/or LA for this monster. Whether or not it is a good idea is debatable, but that's a discussion for another time.

Kylarra
2009-11-03, 07:06 PM
In an effort to be actually useful I'll link this (http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/monsters/beholderclass.html), this (http://www.goodman-games.com/3004preview.html) and this (http://www.planewalker.com/forum/usable-beholder-monster-class) then.

Matamane
2009-11-03, 07:13 PM
The second one could have what I am looking for. The +7 LA is similar to what I thought it would be, so for the time being that will suffice. Although if someone does know of alternative source not seen above, I am still open to it.

Thanks for the source Kylarra

Starbuck_II
2009-11-03, 07:23 PM
Eyekin Cultist isn't a bad class emulate a beholder.

Matamane
2009-11-03, 07:29 PM
If I may, can I ask for a source? Also, I believe he wishes to take advantage of the Beholder Mage Prestige Class, so unless it makes you an effective True Beholder, I don't think he will be interested

Myrmex
2009-11-03, 07:35 PM
If I may, can I ask for a source? Also, I believe he wishes to take advantage of the Beholder Mage Prestige Class, so unless it makes you an effective True Beholder, I don't think he will be interested

Wow.

There's a feat in the book Bastards & Bloodlines that makes you count as another race.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-03, 07:38 PM
I was commenting on the second link Goodman games Beholder book.

My brother has it: and I found the Eyekin race with Beholder Cultist class a decent emulation of a beholder.

You get all ten eyes over the class's levels (I think by level 10). Some choices of what eye spells you have, etc.

You get eye points to use these rays. But can recover them in 4 hours, but this can be done 1/24 hrs. So technically, you have more than that amount.

Another method: PAO spell (Polymorph Any Object)
Drawbacks: vulnerable to dispelling; need 2 castings to be permanent (can be expensive to buy 2 scrolls/hire spellcaster to cast 2 spells).
Benefit: you are a beholder. So qualify for Beholder Mage Prc.

I'd suggest a ring (maybe in belt form to fit him?) that has Dispel Magic greater prepared to protect him from a casting.

Matamane
2009-11-03, 07:40 PM
Ah, the classic B&B sourcebook, and the even more classic Old Blood feat. I would tend to disallow that because that sourcebook is clearly 3.0, and if my PC does wish to take advantage of the Beholder Mage, it would be a foolish decision on my part to let that feat qualify him for the class*.

*Please do not bring up the PaO option for qualifying for Beholder Mage. Since he would be starting at a high level, I would not accept that method as a viable excuse for being a Beholder

Sploosh
2009-11-03, 07:43 PM
The Beholder mage is a pretty mean SOB. I'm just curious what your other players are playing if you don't mind me asking.

Matamane
2009-11-03, 07:47 PM
Greater Doppelganger Chameleon, Human Wizard/Druid/Mystic Theurge/Arcane Heirophant, and a Musteval Guardinal Wizard/Force Missile Mage/Incantrix.

My party likes to have fun with their characters.