PDA

View Full Version : Part-time blaster wizard

Sharkman1231
2009-11-03, 08:06 PM
So, I've got a 12th lvl wizard. She is a gnome who uses a lot of debilitaing spells e.g. Maximized Ray of Enfeeblement (-11 str!!!)

Now, she's got a couple powerful basting spells tucked away for emergencies. Specifically Max Magic Missile, Disintigrate and Max Schorching Ray (2 each I think). I know the whole aversion towards blasters on this site. Is it a good idea in your opinion to have these?

Kylarra
2009-11-03, 08:11 PM
Personally I like wands or reserve feats for my excess blasting needs, but scorching ray is nice, so it can't really hurt to have that in your pocket, I mean you're already a wizard, so most of the game is your oyster anyway.

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 08:13 PM
Depends on party dynamic and house rules. If I'm by myself, and can't use allies (like planar binding) I'm usually forced to use some damage spells.

Sharkman1231
2009-11-03, 08:14 PM
I do like the automatic 25 damage, and the 72 fire damage with three touch attacks

Edit: Fear my party of MEAT-SHIELDS!!!
Party-Pally,Barbarian,Hexblade, Fighter.

Edit Edit: Not Fighter, Rogue

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-03, 08:14 PM
The blasting spells you have selected are inefficient. I suggest using Enervation, Orbs, and Melf's Unicorn Arrow.

Sharkman1231
2009-11-03, 08:19 PM
The blasting spells you have selected are inefficient. I suggest using Enervation, Orbs, and Melf's Unicorn Arrow.

Limited to core only spells, and I have Enervation, I just don't count it as a blasting spell.

Leon
2009-11-03, 08:19 PM
So, I've got a 12th lvl wizard. She is a gnome who uses a lot of debilitaing spells e.g. Maximized Ray of Enfeeblement (-11 str!!!)

Now, she's got a couple powerful basting spells tucked away for emergencies. Specifically Max Magic Missile, Disintegrate and Max Scorching Ray (2 each I think). I know the whole aversion towards blasters on this site. Is it a good idea in your opinion to have these?

Yes, nothing wrong with a bit of blasting power, regardless of what the rest of the board thinks if you are happy with what they do then its good - Disintegrate particularly is good to have for the utility uses as well.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-03, 08:22 PM
Limited to core only spells, and I have Enervation, I just don't count it as a blasting spell.

I can't help but notice you have a Hexblade with you.

arguskos
2009-11-03, 08:23 PM
I can't help but notice you have a Hexblade with you.
It's not unusual to limit casters more than noncasters, just to help with the power gap.

Also, I approve of keeping some blasting in your back pocket at all times. :smallwink:

Sharkman1231
2009-11-03, 08:29 PM
It's not unusual to limit casters more than noncasters, just to help with the power gap.

Also, I approve of keeping some blasting in your back pocket at all times. :smallwink:

I once went to town with both the C & D part of CoDzilla (different occasions)(core only stuff), yeah, my casters are now forced to stay core for spells.

Akal Saris
2009-11-03, 08:31 PM
Eh, I think Disintegrate is awesome (24d6 is a lot of dice) at 12th level, but I'd swap the maximized scorching ray for a Flesh to Stone or Greater Dispel Magic or something, and the maximized magic missile for a quickened spell (magic missile, true strike for the disintegrate, protection from evil, shield, etc).

I don't usually play spellcasters that aren't specifically focused on a single theme though. Some damage is always nice (11th is a sweet spot level for scorching ray especially!), but generally I wouldn't use up my 6th or 5th level slots on it.

ericgrau
2009-11-03, 08:33 PM

Now, she's got a couple powerful basting spells tucked away for emergencies. Specifically Max Magic Missile, Disintigrate and Max Schorching Ray (2 each I think). I know the whole aversion towards blasters on this site. Is it a good idea in your opinion to have these?

Too late now, but next time try empowered for 12-13 str average in a 4th level slot. You multiply the total by 1.5 not the die roll. Not that maximized isn't often great too. Depends which spells you get.

Yes, it's a great idea. That's just a fad on this site. The other non-damage spells are awesome, but there's no reason why you can't have both. Oh, and I'd really get [maximized] fireball. That's probably the best of all among blasting and in many specific situations it's the best among anything (barring cheese, of course).

arguskos
2009-11-03, 08:34 PM
I once went to town with both the C & D part of CoDzilla (different occasions)(core only stuff), yeah, my casters are now forced to stay core for spells.
Figures. That's a common response I've observed.

As for blasting, I commonly blast during combat. Usually from a wand or scepter, but blasting is good times. I like to open with a debuff on them or a buff on us, then toss a few blasts at the baddies, interspersing debuffs or control as I see fit. But, hey, that's just me. :smallamused:

sambo.
2009-11-03, 08:35 PM
I know the whole aversion towards blasters on this site. Is it a good idea in your opinion to have these?

i don't completely agree with the aversion to blasters hereabouts.

having a couple of "You Take Damage NOW!" spells, especially long range AoE spells, can be very useful.

however, the wizard who fills all his available spell slots with such spells is being a bit of an idiot really.

i'm currently playing a sorcerer/noctumancer in a PbP game, in my planned spell list (only lvl5 atm), i will have a total of three direct HP damage spells. Magic Missile, Killing Shadows (short range 10d8 shotgun from ToM) and disintegrate (which has numerous other uses besides straight damage). i will try and squeeze a long range AoE spell in there somewhere, but i don't know which one to go with yet, a long range AoE de-buff may be more effective for my build.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2009-11-03, 08:41 PM
Oh, and I'd really get [maximized] fireball. That's probably the best of all among blasting and in many specific situations it's the best among anything (barring cheese, of course).Empowered fireball takes a fifth level slot instead of a sixth. Sixth generally has better offensive spells in core, like disintegrate, whereas you're really just sacking a utility spell with a fifth level slot. In this instance empower nets 0.75 less damage per caster level, not enough damage to justify the slot bump for me.

valadil
2009-11-03, 09:12 PM
I actually really like sorcerers for part time blasters. Unless you're only expecting to drop one scorching ray you're gong to put it in several slots and then you're stuck with those for blasting. With a sorc you learn scorching ray (or your blast spell of choice - I'd probably go for Melf's Unicorn Arrow, Wings of Cover, or an Orb) and some metamagic (I'm partial to sculpt and empower (which also works on Ray of Enfeeblement and Enervation)). You can disable all day or blast all day as needed.

ericgrau
2009-11-03, 09:44 PM
Empowered fireball takes a fifth level slot instead of a sixth. Sixth generally has better offensive spells in core, like disintegrate, whereas you're really just sacking a utility spell with a fifth level slot. In this instance empower nets 0.75 less damage per caster level, not enough damage to justify the slot bump for me.

Ya, and it's even better for ray of enfeeblement, like I said. He has maximize already it's not worth burning another feat now. That's 52.5 damage vs. 60 damage btw. So it's not like he's getting nothing for the extra level, or that there's another core way to get more area damage in a 6th level slot. But ya, personally I prefer empower.

Lycanthromancer
2009-11-03, 11:10 PM
If I'm going to be leveraging a direct-damage spell, I want to make sure it's worth it. Either it needs to instakill whatever it hits, or it needs to have some sort of rider-effect.

For instance, fireball on a group of mooks needs to pretty much guarantee that at least half of them die immediately.

Chained/Twinned/Empowered disintegrate for a BBEG that Needs. To. Die.

Fell Drained magic missile for de-leveling goodness.

Etc.