PDA

View Full Version : Greater Doppelganger

Matamane
2009-11-03, 08:48 PM
One of my PC's plays a Greater Doppelganger, and I have lately been thinking of some of the ways to abuse it. The Consume Identity ability gives you all class features, so would I be right in assuming that a Greater Doppelganger who consumes the identity of a Wizard could summon a Familiar?

This thought raised several questions. Aside from it being possible, would I maintain the familiar in all forms? Would I lose it when I changed identity again? If anybody would like to take a stab at it be my guest.

The Tygre
2009-11-03, 11:12 PM
Hmm... my current guess is that the familiar would show up as long as the Doppelganger was in wizard form. It would retain its intelligence and abilities, etc. But as soon as the Doppelganger shifts out, the familiar returns to being a regular animal and will have to be handled as such. But when the Doppelganger returns to wizard form, the familiar instantly regains its intelligence, distraught that it cannot remember the intervening missing space of time.

Another thought is that maybe your Doppel-wizard summmons some sort of shape-changing familiar, a little mimic or phasm if you will. Or maybe the familiar is like a living mound of flesh and protoplasm that is absorbed, released as a familiar for the wizard, and reabsorbed at shapechanging will. Perhaps a more unconventional familiar is needed, less of a familiar and more of a pact-creature like an imp or quasit.

Maybe you could even summon a mimic or another Doppelganger as a familiar (!). I've seen rules for it...

Mojo_Rat
2009-11-04, 12:11 AM
I would think you would loose the familiar when you stopped being a Wizard. The bad side to this is Your Dm could hit you with 100-200 xp per level loss when you lost your familiar.

Would Depend on the DM alot though I would personally do it.