PDA

View Full Version : Stat enhancing items

Commander_Vimes
2009-11-03, 09:07 PM
Are there ways of getting stat enhancements from items that can be worn in slots other than the ones in the DM's Guide. Specifically I want to boost my Cleric's Con but it goes in the same slot as my Peritaph of Wisdom.

BobVosh
2009-11-03, 09:09 PM
Lol. I asked this yesterday.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130470

The MIC rules (p 234) for adding/improving common item effects:

Cha: Head, Shoulders
Con: Throat, Torso, Waist
Dex: Arms, Feet, Hands
Int: Face, Head
Str: Arms, Hands, Waist
Wis: Head, Throat

Defiant
2009-11-03, 09:09 PM
Yes, although at a higher price. Making such an item in a slot not appropriate for its affinity multiplies the cost by 1.5 (for example, hat of constitution). Making such an item that takes up no slot so you can even just carry it in your backpack multiplies the cost by 2 (like ioun stones).

Thurbane
2009-11-03, 09:12 PM
Minatures Handbook has the Belt of Magnificence, which boosts ALL stats.

The DMG has rules on "slot affinities" for magic items*, and the MIC has rules for adding/improving common item effects.

*Both the Shirt and Belt slot have an affinity for "physical improvement", so a Shirt of Health or Belt of Health should be the same price as an Amulet of Health, if your DM OKs it.

Commander_Vimes
2009-11-03, 09:30 PM
Thank you very much. I though there was something letting me do that in the MIC but I couldn't find it.

Pyro_Azer
2009-11-03, 09:35 PM
The custom magic item rules do. They are found here (ask your DM before using these):

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm

Wreckingrocc
2009-11-03, 09:50 PM
Or put two enchantments on the same item by paying .5 times again the cost of the cheaper item.

IE, Gloves of Dexterity and Gauntlets of Ogre Strength would make Gloves of Dexterity and Ogre Strength which would cost 10,000 for two +2 Enchantments; 4000 for the initial Gloves of Dexterity, and 4000 for the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength, plus (1/2)(4000) = 10,000.

Lycanthromancer
2009-11-03, 09:56 PM
Yes, although at a higher price. Making such an item in a slot not appropriate for its affinity multiplies the cost by 1.5 (for example, hat of constitution). Making such an item that takes up no slot so you can even just carry it in your backpack multiplies the cost by 2 (like ioun stones).

Or put two enchantments on the same item by paying .5 times again the cost of the cheaper item.

IE, Gloves of Dexterity and Gauntlets of Ogre Strength would make Gloves of Dexterity and Ogre Strength which would cost 10,000 for two +2 Enchantments; 4000 for the initial Gloves of Dexterity, and 4000 for the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength, plus (1/2)(4000) = 10,000.

According to the Magic Item Compendium, the x1.5 bonus doesn't apply for certain (extremely common) items, namely those that give bonuses to ability scores and saving throws.

Curmudgeon
2009-11-03, 10:32 PM
Yes, if you check Magic Item Compendium page 234 you'll see that you can add CON enhancements to items in the Throat, Torso, and Waist slots without paying a cost premium. So if you've already got an item in one of those slots, just have it augmented to boost CON as well.

Defiant
2009-11-03, 10:39 PM
According to the Magic Item Compendium, the x1.5 bonus doesn't apply for certain (extremely common) items, namely those that give bonuses to ability scores and saving throws.

I'd hardly call a multiplier of 1.5 to cost of purchasing an item a "bonus" :smallamused:

Curmudgeon
2009-11-03, 10:52 PM
I'd hardly call a multiplier of 1.5 to cost of purchasing an item a "bonus" :smallamused:
It is for the shopkeeper! :smallbiggrin: