PDA

View Full Version : "Family Game Night..."

TheCountAlucard
2009-11-03, 09:17 PM
Was going to post this in Gaming, but in retrospect, decided it would be better here.

So, it's non-traditional student week here at the college, and aside from netting myself a few free barbecue sandwiches, I also found out that there was a "Family Game Night" tonight. Sounded like fun, so I brought my D&D "basic game" set. Yeah, there's more plot in your typical brick than there is in this adventure, but the characters are pregenerated and it comes with minis and dungeon tiles, so might as well bring it, y'know? I also brought along my laptop, just in case, and a one-pound bag of dice.

There were roughly twenty people there, a mix of kids and adults. They had a variety of games out, including Apples to Apples, Twister, Monopoly, Sorry, and decks of cards. Unfortunately, all of the kids played Mario Kart on the Wii, and all of the adults who played anything played Scene It, and I couldn't convince a single one of them to do anything else.

Also, I won a teddy bear in the prize drawing. Whoo hoo. :smallannoyed:

The most insulting part, however, was when one of the mothers flat-out told me, "Do not play Dungeons & Dragons with my kid." Wouldn't provide me a reason why, either. Not like he was interested in playing. :smallannoyed:

On the bright side, though, there's gonna be free lasagna. :smallbiggrin:

Cleverdan22
2009-11-03, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I don't think bringing DnD to a family game night was a good idea. People are always distracted and whatnot at those things, and you kinda need focus for it. Take these kinds of things to play some other games. Although that guy who said the thing about DnD and not letting his kid play it: he sounds like a tool that needs his facts straight.

Mr. Mud
2009-11-03, 09:23 PM
I'm practing my snobby house-wife: "Dungeons and Dragons? Oh he's one of those people... *asinine laughter with other snobby house-wives*

So how was that :smallbiggrin:?!

But seriously, I don't like how D&D get's slurred by popular opinion. Half the people who do slur it, however, don't even know what it really is. :smallannoyed:.

Anyway, Free lasagna and BBQ sandwiches nearly amend the ordeal :smallamused:.

Eon
2009-11-03, 09:30 PM
ugh, I hate the mistruths about dnd that if i went into it will be a total rant and i really don't want to do that.

Also free food :smalltongue: it does make it worthwhile

TheCountAlucard
2009-11-03, 09:34 PM
Free lasagna and BBQ sandwiches nearly amend the ordeal.Nearly. :smallfrown:

Y'know, just last Tuesday I did a speech on the truth behind most of the stereotypes associated with D&D...

evnafets
2009-11-03, 09:38 PM
Nearly. :smallfrown:

Y'know, just last Tuesday I did a speech on the truth behind most of the stereotypes associated with D&D...

A speech on the truth behind stereo types associated with D&D?
You wouldn't also be associated with Toastmasters now would you?

Mr. Mud
2009-11-03, 09:40 PM
Nearly. :smallfrown:

I'm writing an essay about it :smallbiggrin:. Being the resident "That kid who always gets his stupid essays published" in my class, let's hope it gets somewhere. :smalltongue:.

Eon
2009-11-03, 09:42 PM
I'm writing an essay about it :smallbiggrin:. Being the resident "That kid who always gets his stupid essays published" in my class, let's hope it gets somewhere. :smalltongue:.

we all do. Good luck.

Mr. Mud
2009-11-03, 09:43 PM
we all do. Good luck.

Thanks, I be sure to post a copy on GitP :smallbiggrin:.

Jokasti
2009-11-03, 09:46 PM
You will revolutionize how the world thinks about DnD.

Mr. Mud
2009-11-03, 09:49 PM
You will revolutionize how the world thinks about DnD.

Heh, What if I did? WotC would pay me forever. Think of the sales. Think what big trendsetters we'd be :smalltongue:.

But it's not even a big essay or anything. Im doubt it will get published, in hindsight. Anyway, Wahoo for spreading D&D awareness.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-11-03, 09:51 PM
Heh, What if I did? WotC would pay me forever. Think of the sales. Think what big trendsetters we'd be :smalltongue:.

But it's not even a big essay or anything. Im doubt it will get published, in hindsight. Anyway, Wahoo for spreading D&D awareness.

Thesis statement: We're not Satanists, we're just nerds. NEEEEEEERDS

Mr. Mud
2009-11-03, 09:53 PM
Thesis statement: We're not Satanists, we're just nerds. NEEEEEEERDS

*writes down furiosy on a notepad.*

Thank you, good sir!

Eon
2009-11-03, 09:53 PM

that might be bad. all of our favorite havens and FLGS might be swarmed and out of stock before all of us pre-rush players will be out of luck.

hmm

Pros:
more players
less people prejudiced against DnD

Cons:
FLGS swarmed
possible out-of-stockness
people always asking for help with unfair characters
gaming websites suddenly have more people

these might be worst case scenarios though...

Rettu Skcollob
2009-11-03, 09:56 PM
that might be bad. all of our favorite havens and FLGS might be swarmed and out of stock before all of us pre-rush players will be out of luck.

hmm

Pros:
more players

Cons:
FLGS swarmed

Oh, if D&D were to have less social stigma that'd be great, sure in the short term you might have those Cons with FLGS being swarmed and falling inventories, but as an economics student I can safely say that rise in demand will only lead to more production, more expansion/investment and GOOD TIMES FOR ALL.

Also if it ever happens, (eh... Unlikely.) inb4 "Casuals ruinin' mah Roleplayan gaems"

Edit: I went to go draw a model to illustrate my point, then I felt bad. :smallfrown:

Mr. Mud
2009-11-03, 09:56 PM

hmm

Pros:
more players

Cons:
FLGS swarmed

Yeah, just because there are more people unbiased against roleplaying doesn't mean there will be more nerds :smalltongue:.

Blaine.Bush
2009-11-03, 10:03 PM

Dude and then all the cool scene kids could play D&D! That'd be awesome. :smallwink:

Rettu Skcollob
2009-11-03, 10:04 PM
Also if it ever happens, (eh... Unlikely.) inb4 "Casuals ruinin' mah Roleplayan gaems"

Dude and then all the cool scene kids could play D&D! That'd be awesome. :smallwink:

Bam!.........

Trog
2009-11-03, 10:32 PM
Well actually, if it makes you feel any better, any get together where a variety of games are offered will make DnD hard to run. Primarily because of the time commitment. Even at the Trogland Meetup the past two years no gaming group got past even one encounter before moving on to something else - and this is a room of DnD types we are talking about here.

As to the hobby of DnD and other people accepting it or not I've honestly stopped caring long long ago. If they get it, they get it, and if they don't, they don't. *shrug* Not gonna stop me from enjoying it.

Katana_Geldar
2009-11-03, 11:11 PM
Not always, I took Star Wars Saga to a game day in a group I go to, yet I brought several of my players with me. A few more people joined but I think we were the only game that actually played in the time, as everyone else was watching The Lion King.

As was I, in certain moments. :smallredface:

So, bring some player with you!

skywalker
2009-11-04, 01:29 AM
"Family Game Night" is like a Milton Bradley (or one of those companies) slogan.

D&D is not, per se, a "family game." Family games are those that can be played with a modicum of intellectual and especially emotional involvement, IE monopoly, Apples to Apples, etc. This is not to say that D&D is not appropriate for families. Just that there was probably some confusion in what was expected for a "family game night."

TheCountAlucard
2009-11-04, 06:32 AM
Just that there was probably some confusion in what was expected for a "family game night."Well, it was either that or bring my checkers, and I doubt anyone would've played that with me, either.

arguskos
2009-11-04, 06:38 AM
Well, it was either that or bring my checkers, and I doubt anyone would've played that with me, either.
Don't make me throw down on you in checkers dammit! I'll beat you down in checkers. I'm like a god damn checkers KING. :smallamused:

Also, that entire thing is totally made-up. I just liked writing it. :smallredface:

Further also, wazzup Alucard. Being awesome? :smallcool:

TheCountAlucard
2009-11-04, 04:54 PM
Being awesome?With marigolds. :smallcool:

The school had an event today in which a tree was planted, and they also gave out T-shirts and free plants. I had the option of getting a grown pansy, or some marigold seeds. I went with the seeds. :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2009-11-04, 05:23 PM
With marigolds. :smallcool:

The school had an event today in which a tree was planted, and they also gave out T-shirts and free plants. I had the option of getting a grown pansy, or some marigold seeds. I went with the seeds. :smallbiggrin:
Dude. Marigolds. DUDE. Needs moar snapdragons.

Gamerlord
2009-11-04, 05:28 PM
The world can be divided into two people

Nerds: the smartest of the smart, the bestest of the best, the kings of all!

Jocks: People who don't play D&D, utterly pathetic, and should only be used for silly tasks that the Nerds are too amazing and awesome to bother doing..

TheCountAlucard
2009-11-04, 05:39 PM
The world can be divided into two people...There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

And on that note, I'm working on a 10-minute documentary about D&D controversies... any advice, people? I'll be conducting an interview or two, and also filming Friday night's D&D session for pieces to toss in.

Lycan 01
2009-11-04, 05:43 PM
A brief history of DnD, a summary of controversies associated with it, and the validity of these claims, perhaps?

Mr. Mud
2009-11-04, 05:43 PM
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

And on that note, I'm working on a 10-minute documentary about D&D controversies... any advice, people? I'll be conducting an interview or two, and also filming Friday night's D&D session for pieces to toss in.

Blast you, Alucard. I've been burning to use that all day :smalltongue:.

skywalker
2009-11-05, 02:36 AM
The world can be divided into two people

Nerds: the smartest of the smart, the bestest of the best, the kings of all!

Jocks: People who don't play D&D, utterly pathetic, and should only be used for silly tasks that the Nerds are too amazing and awesome to bother doing..

What about the smartest of the smart who don't play D&D? For instance, Stephen Hawking, as far as I know, doesn't play D&D. This would seem to refute your hypothesis, unfortunately. :smallwink:

Totally Guy
2009-11-05, 04:47 AM
For instance, Stephen Hawking, as far as I know, doesn't play D&D.

That's because he gets banned from the groups. He cheats with that dice roller he uses. Didn't roll less than a 16 all session. And his character build... talk about exploits! Soccer player turned adventurer kills things by kicking a dangerous sentient ball... and it's the same backstory every time.

:smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2009-11-05, 05:33 AM
That's because he gets banned from the groups. He cheats with that dice roller he uses. Didn't roll less than a 16 all session. And his character build... talk about exploits! Soccer player turned adventurer kills things by kicking a dangerous sentient ball... and it's the same backstory every time.

:smalltongue:

And he always finds an excuse to start talking about what shape the gaming universes are.
One week it's spherical, the next it's conical, he week after that, it's shaped like a donut and the week after that it's elephants on the back of a turtle on top of a turtle, on top of a turtle 'all the way down'...

It gets really tedious after a while.

He may be smart as hell, but he can be really boring and long-winded sometimes.

Totally Guy
2009-11-05, 05:38 AM
And he always finds an excuse to start talking about what shape the gaming universes are.
One week it's spherical, the next it's conical, he week after that, it's shaped like a donut and the week after that it's elephants on the back of a turtle on top of a turtle, on top of a turtle 'all the way down'...

Ban all Manual of the Planes material.

Infinite cone with a city on top and a finite base... it's all balls.:smallwink:

KuReshtin
2009-11-05, 06:16 AM
Ban all Manual of the Planes material.

Infinite cone with a city on top and a finite base... it's all balls.:smallwink:

There's no finite base. It's turtles all the way down, I tell you. :smallbiggrin:

Weimann
2009-11-05, 08:05 AM
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.Okay, I'll admit. I've seen this loads of times and every time I think "wait, shouldn't it be 01?"

Because the first elements in base two goes 2^0, 2^1, 2^2, 2^3, 2^4, 2^5... doesn't it? That makes 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32... and so, to represent the number 2 in base ten, you'd want 0(2^0)+1(2^1), i.e 01, in base two.

What am I missing?

TheCountAlucard
2009-11-05, 09:06 AM
What am I missing?The bit you seem to be missing is that, at least in every binary-related course I've taken, you count with the least significant bit being the farthest on the right; i.e., 1010 in binary is 10 in decimal,* and 0101 in binary is 5 in decimal.

*Or "A" in hexadecimal. :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2009-11-05, 10:33 AM
The bit you seem to be missing is that, at least in every binary-related course I've taken, you count with the least significant bit being the farthest on the right; i.e., 1010 in binary is 10 in decimal,* and 0101 in binary is 5 in decimal.

Yep, this is how I was taught it as well.
It's the same as in your decimal counting. The bigger the value, the further to the left.
You wouldn't write one thousand two hundred and thirty four as 432,1.
Smaller value to the right, hence 10 (binary) = 2 (decimal).

Weimann
2009-11-08, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the clarifications :)

TheCountAlucard
2009-11-08, 11:14 AM
Of course, no problem.

And I recorded some of Friday night's D&D session, and conducted a couple of interviews - I just hope it will be enough.