PDA

View Full Version : False Clothes (Spell)

Lysander
2009-11-04, 12:25 AM
Okay, this is just silly but I think awesome.

False Clothes
Illusion (Glamer)
Level: Bard 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

You create a visual illusion of clothing that rests on top of and follows your body, and are able to alter the illusion as a standard action. The spell can simulate almost any ensemble of clothing, armor, and jewelry. The illusion is purely additive though, and cannot hide something except by covering it with clothing. If you are wearing actual clothes the illusion can usually lay on top of and hide them. False Clothes cannot create an illusion of bare skin, create or hide wounds, apply make-up, or alter bodily features.

Flayerman
2009-11-04, 12:40 AM
That's pretty neat, though the ability to hide things by covering it with clothing might be a bit powerful. Maybe give onlookers a bonus to notice that the clothing "hiding" that knife holster has a bit of a hilt poking through because it doesn't settle over the hilt right?

blueblade
2009-11-04, 12:57 AM
Isn't that exactly what the spell already does? i.e. it would be painfully obvious if you put a dress on over heavy plate that something wasn't right? Incidentally, what happens then, does the obvious incongruity give a bonus to break the spell?

I like it, but the only way it can be used at present is to make someone seem more armoured or equipped than they are, not less. I guess you could also use it to create a fake tabard or insignia I suppose.

Lysander
2009-11-04, 01:03 AM
That's pretty neat, though the ability to hide things by covering it with clothing might be a bit powerful. Maybe give onlookers a bonus to notice that the clothing "hiding" that knife holster has a bit of a hilt poking through because it doesn't settle over the hilt right?

Either it would poke out or they'd need to simulate suspiciously bulky clothes.

Isn't that exactly what the spell already does? i.e. it would be painfully obvious if you put a dress on over heavy plate that something wasn't right? Incidentally, what happens then, does the obvious incongruity give a bonus to break the spell?

I like it, but the only way it can be used at present is to make someone seem more armoured or equipped than they are, not less. I guess you could also use it to create a fake tabard or insignia I suppose.

If someone suspects it's an illusion they'd receive a will save. Most people wouldn't suspect that right away unless they're familiar with the spell.

Actually it's not that useful for armor simulation since it doesn't create sound effects. A lack of clanking would give you away. It would be great for simulating enemy uniforms or putting on costumes for stealth/infiltration missions though. Also useful for aesthetic purposes, adding small details to your outfit like fake jewels and gold.

Tavar
2009-11-04, 01:46 AM
So it's essentially a longer duration Disguise self, but hit lack's the former's use in conjunction with the disguise skill and is overall less versatile.

Ekindu
2009-11-04, 02:51 AM
I have the strong urge to quicken this to give my team bikini's.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-11-04, 03:01 AM
Has no-one else realised that with this spell you could be naked all the time, and no-body would know? The applications are as numerous as they are hilarious.

Temotei
2009-11-04, 04:36 AM
Love it. I'm so using this. :smallbiggrin:

Debihuman
2009-11-04, 04:52 AM
What is the material component of the spell? You have "M" listed in the components.

Debby

Weimann
2009-11-04, 04:55 AM
Has no-one else realised that with this spell you could be naked all the time, and no-body would know? The applications are as numerous as they are hilarious.But constantly using this spell instead of clothes could get really chilly really fast. It's really only viable indoors, or at the height of summer outdoors.

Ranos
2009-11-04, 08:08 AM
Range: Touch
Target: Personnal

So to cast this spell you need to touch yourself, huh ? :smallamused:

Lappy9000
2009-11-04, 09:44 AM
But constantly using this spell instead of clothes could get really chilly really fast. It's really only viable indoors, or at the height of summer outdoors.When has being 'chilly' ever mattered in any D&D session ever?

I could see this spell as quite useful for a changeling....

DracoDei
2009-11-04, 09:48 AM
When has being 'chilly' ever mattered in any D&D session ever?

Besides which, that is what Endure Elements is for!

Cieyrin
2009-11-04, 11:22 AM
The king likes his new clothes and you'd be a fool to disbelieve them!:smallbiggrin:

Violet Octopus
2009-11-04, 11:39 AM
Would one be able to use this to create the illusion of a larger/taller/broader body type, thus appearing naked while actually wearing full plate armor?

Though this inspires me to have a race of nudists who use a mass/area version of this in their cities (they are immune), to avoid making foreigners uncomfortable.

Ekindu
2009-11-04, 11:56 AM
Would one be able to use this to create the illusion of a larger/taller/broader body type, thus appearing naked while actually wearing full plate armor?

Though this inspires me to have a race of nudists who use a mass/area version of this in their cities (they are immune), to avoid making foreigners uncomfortable.

Unfortunately no, it's right in the text.
False Clothes cannot create an illusion of bare skin, create or hide wounds, apply make-up, or alter bodily features.

However, if you don't mind looking ridiculous, I'm pretty sure you can make a shirt with a picture of a muscled (wo)man on it.

Violet Octopus
2009-11-04, 11:58 AM
oh. I misread that as "can create an illusion..."
I need sleep.

Golden-Esque
2009-11-04, 12:11 PM
This spell brings the Trench coat Flasher to an art form xD.

Get an 18 Charisma or more.
Go Full-Commando.
Cast Spell.
Walk into place crowded with members of your preferred sexuality.
Dismiss Spell.
???
Profit.