PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Without the Bonus Feats, With Bonus Feats

Mongoose87
2009-11-04, 01:34 AM
Here's a little take I had on Paladins falling:

Fallen Paladin

“Even a warrior who has been dishonored does not have to be without honor.”

The Paladin's Code of conduct is incredibly stringent, and leaves little room to err. So, it is not surprising that some otherwise strong, righteous Paladins do, at some point, fall. Some Fallen Paladins lose themselves, completely, being corrupted by the ways of evil. Others seclude themselves, living out their remaining years in shame. However, some, still strong in their convicts, seek to redeem themselves, through their actions.

Prerequisites:
Bab: +4
Alignment: Lawful Good
Special: Must have at least one level of the Fallen Paladin base class.

Skills: 4+ int
Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate(Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nobility and royalty) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), and Sense Motive (Wis).
D10 HD
Fallen Paladin
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Mark of Shame, Personal Code

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Bonus Feat

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1| Bonus Feat

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2| Bonus Feat

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2| Bonus Feat

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Atonement[/table]

Class Features

Mark of Shame: The Fallen Paladin has been cast out of his order, and is known as either a heretic or a tragic casualty by his former peers. He has a -2 penalty to diplomacy checks with members of his former order. He, however, gains a +2 to intimidate checks.

Personal Code: Though he is no longer a Paladin, the Fallen Paladin is still a good person. If he regularly commits Chaotic or Evil acts, he will be lost for redemption forever, and will be barred from taking the tenth level of this class.

Bonus Feat: The Fallen Paladin gains a bonus Fighter Feat.

Atonement: Having bent his will towards his purpose, the ever-faithful Fallen Paladin finally proves to his former order and to himself that he has redeemed himself. Casting off the mantle of failure, he is able to return to his comrades, and to his former calling. The Fallen Paladin trades in all levels in the base and prestige classes of Fallen Paladin for levels in the Paladin base class, or a combination of levels in it and levels in a related prestige class (pending DM approval). He does, however, keep the bonus feats he gained in this class.

Note that this method of atonement can only be taken once. If a Paladin falls again, he is probably lost, or is too far gone to be accepted back into his order, without a miraculous deed.

Vadin
2009-11-04, 02:46 AM
Well, I can honestly say the title is very misleading. Also, the special requirement is, at present, impossible. If the only way to take a level in the class is to already have a level in the class, then I'm afraid that no one will be able to take a level at all.

DragoonWraith
2009-11-04, 02:51 AM
The title is based on a common euphemism for the Paladin, especially once fallen, which is that of a Fighter Without Bonus Feats. And I assume he means that you must be a fallen Paladin for the requirement, though I agree that's weird.

Anyway, five levels, or even three, would be more appropriate. Ten levels is a long time to be without your features.

Actually, yeah, three. At most. Even five is too much. Why wouldn't you just use Atonement? That is far more reasonable then wasting levels in this... And yeah, bonus feats are a waste, pretty much.

Then again, take my advice with a grain of salt: I hate Fighters (stupidest execution of a class ever), and I hate the Paladin's falling mechanic. So, yeah.

Temotei
2009-11-04, 04:35 AM
Mmm...Atonement. Nice spell. :smallcool:

Orzel
2009-11-04, 06:23 AM
3 levels is enough, yo. Even for some super low fantasy game. Ouch.

Ashtagon
2009-11-04, 06:39 AM
Hmm, blow ten levels on a sub-par class, or blow 5000 gp (or whatever) on an atonement spell and do a quest (which the DM would probably have railroaded the party into doing somehow anyway). Tough choice :smallconfused:

Mongoose87
2009-11-04, 09:13 AM
You don't "blow" ten levels - you trade them in afterward - did you read the last class feature?

Haven
2009-11-04, 09:24 AM
But until you get there, you've spent half your adventuring career--probably more, if the game doesn't get to 20, as usually happens--without class features.

DragoonWraith
2009-11-04, 09:59 AM
I do like the idea of the class. But it should have actual features, not just non-features followed by a trade-in.

Yakk
2009-11-04, 10:09 AM
I'd do a system where your "effective level" for the purpose of class features in the class is (Class Level) + (Paladin Level), capped to 2*Class Level. And the moment you atone and regain your paladin powers, all levels in the class convert to Paladin levels.

Mongoose87
2009-11-04, 10:11 AM
I just realized something. At 10th level, you atone, meaning you're no longer a Fallen Paladin. But, then you're not eligible for the class, so you can't use the Atonement class feature. :smalltongue:

DracoDei
2009-11-04, 10:17 AM
I just realized something. At 10th level, you atone, meaning you're no longer a Fallen Paladin. But, then you're not eligible for the class, so you can't use the Atonement class feature. :smalltongue:

I assume the smilie at the end means this is meant only as a humorous comment?

Mongoose87
2009-11-04, 10:21 AM
I assume the smilie at the end means this is meant only as a humorous comment?

Well, yeah.