PDA

View Full Version : (Optional) Multiple Gender Modifier Methods

Moechi_Vill
2009-11-04, 04:15 AM
Optional, of course, once again; though I do not expect many people to be able to read and retain titles or intros, the main text or to understand the optional desire to experiment with biology-based scientific fact (as pertains to humans, not that it could to species not of real life but of fantasy beyond the broad balanced modifiers that are published by gaming companies and litterature, movies, etc.). In fact I expect people to start up completely irrelevant posts disputing for example strong Female-Male social studies and Male-Female weightlifting data and saying that they feel it is wrong and many people agree with them and thus that must be true and the actual data I presented was insufficient and false. I mention this because it has happened before, accompanied of course with personal insults and flames from people who a) didn't even read, but just looked things over, jumped to some very aggro conclusions than started shouting evilly - or b) the aforementioned above who prefer science by mob plurality who take to this with ill will and accuse of lies and -isms due their own -isms.

It would be vastly preferable if you have that in mind that you would just exit the thread, I remind people that one is required to stay on topic and not to flame.

Thus concludes my two-paragraph intro and warning (not a disclaimer, as I need not disclaim anything).

The following are simple basic overview I believe you might find helpful, I put it together in ten minutes, but I believe it will save you more than a bit of time if you can read a bit of pseudo-shorthand on basics.
Of couse most people are very much more malleable than this, personally I prefer to go with a genetic base and raise the character from there socially and physically, but if one intends to generalize slightly more specifically then this will be useful.

The first method of course is to chose a default Male/Female and go from there. The pros of this methods is it is doubles the options and shortens down the work. For example I went with M default for humans (the female cap. for strength is too low though) because it took less work and because the avg. option was messy (and thus timeconsuming) and F default leads to human males who are stronger than orcs. So presumably this can be easily amended by raising the cap while retaining the avg. subtractor.

For drow for example I'd set F as default then add some physicals to M while detracting some mental abilities.

The middle ground is to whip both of two genders around ten or tenpointfive. This works a charm as it lowers any tension against the game balance, but unfortunately this will often require decimals, not just 11's and 9's and such. One option though is adding sets of likely traits, for humans who are flexible and elves who are alike I'd make them available to both genders, but at different odds of likelihood.

Belobog
2009-11-04, 04:26 AM
Optional, of course, once again; though I do not expect many people to be able to read and retain titles or intros, the main text or to understand the optional desire to experiment with biology-based scientific fact (as pertains to humans, not that it could to species not of real life but of fantasy beyond the broad balanced modifiers that are published by gaming companies and litterature, movies, etc.). In fact I expect people to start up completely irrelevant posts disputing for example strong Female-Male social studies and Male-Female weightlifting data and saying that they feel it is wrong and many people agree with them and thus that must be true and the actual data I presented was insufficient and false. I mention this because it has happened before, accompanied of course with personal insults and flames from people who a) didn't even read, but just looked things over, jumped to some very aggro conclusions than started shouting evilly - or b) the aforementioned above who prefer science by mob plurality who take to this with ill will and accuse of lies and -isms due their own -isms.

It would be vastly preferable if you have that in mind that you would just exit the thread, I remind people that one is required to stay on topic and not to flame.

Thus concludes my two-paragraph intro and warning (not a disclaimer, as I need not disclaim anything).

The following are simple basic overview I believe you might find helpful, I put it together in ten minutes, but I believe it will save you more than a bit of time if you can read a bit of pseudo-shorthand on basics.
Of couse most people are very much more malleable than this, personally I prefer to go with a genetic base and raise the character from there socially and physically, but if one intends to generalize slightly more specifically then this will be useful.

The first method of course is to chose a default Male/Female and go from there. The pros of this methods is it is doubles the options and shortens down the work. For example I went with M default for humans (the female cap. for strength is too low though) because it took less work and because the avg. option was messy (and thus timeconsuming) and F default leads to human males who are stronger than orcs. So presumably this can be easily amended by raising the cap while retaining the avg. subtractor.

For drow for example I'd set F as default then add some physicals to M while detracting some mental abilities.

The middle ground is to whip both of two genders around ten or tenpointfive. This works a charm as it lowers any tension against the game balance, but unfortunately this will often require decimals, not just 11's and 9's and such. One option though is adding sets of likely traits, for humans who are flexible and elves who are alike I'd make them available to both genders, but at different odds of likelihood.

A) You're in the wrong forum.

B) I'm sorry, what? It feels like there should be a few more paragraphs in there. To, you know, make it coherent.

Autumn_War
2009-11-04, 05:02 AM

BIG OOPS here (I'm on a friend's account)

F default leads to ALMOST as strong as Orcs, NOT greater than Orcs
male to female is just 60% after all, and only for upper (I averaged to 3 points)

Jamin
2009-11-04, 05:02 AM
Ummm... WHAT THE HECK IS THIS ABOUT

Grumman
2009-11-04, 05:11 AM
Ummm... WHAT THE HECK IS THIS ABOUT
The OP has returned to the tired old idea of ability modifiers by gender. In D&D, if that isn't obvious.

Fortunately, it really is unnecessary in a system where you can choose where to assign your stats. If you think females should get a -1 penalty to STR, just assign one of your slightly lower rolls / spend slightly less points on STR, and assign the higher roll / point elsewhere.

Zincorium
2009-11-04, 11:02 AM
It's a fantasy game. You can easily build a character who can break hardened steel by flexing, outrun the fastest olympic runner, jump onto the roofs of buildings, and other feats without magic.

Bringing in real world ideas of relative ability might seem like a good idea, but even more than sexism, it promotes munchkinism. Seriously, try it just once and see if people don't pick a gender specifically because you gave stat benefits.

In any case, you can simply choose not to violate your perceived stat limitations like Grumman said. If you can't convince everyone else to do so voluntarily, making a rule about it could cost you players.

Artanis
2009-11-07, 01:28 PM
I agree about gender modifiers being pointless both in terms of mechanics and in terms of RP. So what if somebody overcomes his or her gender's supposedly "logical" disadvantages to be just as good in an area as the other? That just means that person is special, and you don't get to be a character in a fantasy game unless you're special in the first place.

What's more, we're talking about 2-4 points being the difference between a hulking Minotaur and a tiny Gnome, or between an immortal Deva and a small-brained Orc. How the HELL does the difference between a man and a comparable woman even start to show up in any meaningful way on a scale like that?