PDA

View Full Version : [Any] How do you co-DM in pbp or pbem?

ken-do-nim
2009-11-04, 09:40 AM
How do you split up the responsibilities for co-DMing when it comes to running a play-by-post game? In particular, I enjoy the creative aspects of running a game, but I don't have the time to push the game along as often as I'd like. I've got a 3.5 pbem campaign that has been sitting on the shelf for a couple years now, and the players would come back anytime if only I could muster up the energy.

AstralFire
2009-11-04, 10:00 AM
Same as I would in IM or in-person. One person primarily handles story, one person handles combat mechanics.

ken-do-nim
2009-11-04, 10:43 AM
Same as I would in IM or in-person. One person primarily handles story, one person handles combat mechanics.

So the story DM needs to send the combat DM the maps and the stats, and then the combat DM handles all the dice rolls? So on a day-to-day basis, what does the story DM do? Is he more like in the background saying "Here's the adventure run it" or does he do all the room descriptions, npc speech, etc.?

AstralFire
2009-11-04, 10:45 AM
So the story DM needs to send the combat DM the maps and the stats, and then the combat DM handles all the dice rolls? So on a day-to-day basis, what does the story DM do? Is he more like in the background saying "Here's the adventure run it" or does he do all the room descriptions, npc speech, etc.?

Depends on the exact split. Because of my leanings, I tended to be the 'idea girl' and 'narrator' while my partners were more of the 'game engine' and 'mapper', because they were powergamers of the type that were really solely interested in the mechanics. It really depends on who you're partnering with; the most important thing is having distinct areas to handle, otherwise you get confusion.

ken-do-nim
2009-11-04, 11:38 AM
Depends on the exact split. Because of my leanings, I tended to be the 'idea girl' and 'narrator' while my partners were more of the 'game engine' and 'mapper', because they were powergamers of the type that were really solely interested in the mechanics. It really depends on who you're partnering with; the most important thing is having distinct areas to handle, otherwise you get confusion.

So it really worked well for you? Must be awesome to set up a situation and then not know yourself what the badguys are going to do.

AstralFire
2009-11-04, 11:40 AM
So it really worked well for you? Must be awesome to set up a situation and then not know yourself what the badguys are going to do.

Well, I'd do like "I WANT THIS GUY TO BE FIERY" and stuff, but yeah, pretty much. I also did the concept of the combat - like if they were running fights or whatever cinematic gimmick I felt like using that day.