PDA

View Full Version : DN vs DN (3.5)

Incorrect
2009-11-04, 10:05 AM
Hi, I am running a battle against a friend in a while. We decided that we wanted to focus on summoning, to have sort of a Pokemon battle. The main characters can participate in the battle as well.
Problem is, we both chose Dread Necromancer. Its a great and fun class, but it dosent have too many options when fighting undead. In addition we agreed to not trying to control each others creations :smallconfused:

So what can I do to win this? And how do I look really badass while I'm at it?
I believe that my foe will focus on melee

Resources:

- Core + MiC + 2 books of choice (right now HoH and LM)
- 10 levels, focus on Dread Necro
- Great stats, 18,18,18,10,10,10 or mixed at 1to1 ratio
- 9HD worth of creatures raised with "animate dead"
- A small village with corpses in each house, this is where the battle will take place

Ranos
2009-11-04, 10:19 AM
How about an army of suicide bombing rats ?
Get destructive retribution and some kind of area attack. With 9HD, you should be able to raise 36 rats. Be sure to be far, far away when things go boom.

Oh, and if he gets tomb tainted soul, this will fail horribly.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-11-04, 10:29 AM
There are several Necromancer spells which are quite handy against undead.

Halt Undead. Like Mass Hold Person for undead. Non-intelligent undead don't even get a saving throw. Freeze his undead in place and have yours rip them apart. Chill Touch is also a Fear effect against undead.

Incorrect
2009-11-04, 10:33 AM
I thought about it as well. Ether he has Tombtainted and I just end up healing him and all his creations, or he uses Undeath to death to just splatter my horde of undead suicide bombers before they reach him.
OR he takes a bunch of damage and I win. I think it will be a long-shot

But I could use my 9 HD on something crazy in stead, right now Im thinking a zombie Bulette. Maybe hollowing it out and travelling under ground in it.

Ranos
2009-11-04, 10:38 AM
Oh wait, I missed the fact that you're level 10. Well then, the undead army doesn't matter much, just use a save or die on him, boost your DC, you're done.

Incorrect
2009-11-04, 10:50 AM
Of course I could just spam SoD's, but we agreed to have sort of a pokemon fight, so I dont want him to feel that I cheated. He will expect a fight of summons.

I could use Halt Undead to get my own minions into good positions, cant believe I didnt think of that :smallwink:

AstralFire
2009-11-04, 10:51 AM
At least once, when one of you really hurts the other, you must shriek in-character, "That was supremely effective!"

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-11-04, 10:57 AM
Also, do not neglect the value of buffing your minion(s). Enervation, for example, grants extra temporary hit points to your summon. You can heal it with negative energy.

Undead are also not immune to Blindness/Deafness... hit his minion with Blindness... then hit him with it. Bite my 50% miss chance.

ZeroNumerous
2009-11-04, 11:09 AM
As a DN, you have (4+CHA)*CL of undead and can create undead of 20 HD in one casting.

Zombie Young Adult Silver Dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm#silverDragon).

The zombie dragon template in Draconomicon lets it retain its paralyzing cone at a DC of 10+1/2 HD+CHA or 19. That's a hard save for a CONless DN to make.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-04, 11:15 AM
You mean young adult (19 HD))...because 20 HD is less HD than 22 (adult HD).

If he Desecrates the area first he can get it though.

Incorrect
2009-11-04, 11:21 AM
That is true, but we can only have 9HD worth of base creatures with us at the beginning of the battle, and I doubt that I will find any dragon corpses in the village :smallwink:
For dragons that mean that I can only get a wyrmling (7HD)

Fishy
2009-11-04, 11:22 AM
Well, the problem with Zombies and Skeles is that DNs have Halt Undead, Command Undead, Hide From Undead, Turn Undead, and all sorts of win buttons.

Don't forget about your familiar- You might be able to load up on the various Improved Familiar feats and use that as your pokemon instead, or a homunculus or something. Necromancers don't have that much that works on robots.

Incorrect
2009-11-04, 11:31 AM
Great idea with the construct familiar.
Any ideas on improving a homunculus, or a more combat oriented familiar?

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-11-04, 12:05 PM
Great idea with the construct familiar.
Any ideas on improving a homunculus, or a more combat oriented familiar?

The opponent DN is not immune to poison. Have your undead go against his undead. While that is going on, your Improved Familiar goes after HIM. A Viper does Con damage with poison, that is always tasty.

If you want to go cheese route, you can always take the feat that lets you combine a Familiar with an Animal Companion and get a Fleshraker...

JellyPooga
2009-11-04, 12:33 PM
My suggestion for your already animated dead is to go with a Harsaaf (MM III)...it's 6HD so you'll have 3HD spare to get something else, but most importantly if you Awaken it, it has a fairly impressive array of abilities: Fast Healing, Blindsense, Burrow Speed, the Fire subtype (and thus Immunity), Immunity to Blindness, Spell Resistance, the ability to create a burst of sand (30ft radius) that deals 3d6 damage, the ability to assume a Sand Form (as Gaseuos Form) and it deals 1d6 points of Fire damage just for standing next to you. Add to that a respectable Str and Dex and you have a fairly decent minion. As a Medium sized humanoid creature, it's easy (and cheap) to equip too.

ZeroNumerous
2009-11-04, 01:33 PM
You mean young adult (19 HD))...because 20 HD is less HD than 22 (adult HD).

Uh. I said Young Adult?

... but most importantly if you Awaken it, it has a fairly impressive array of abilities:

7th level spell. 4 levels too far away.